PDA

View Full Version : Sony Handycam USB Connection on Mac?

aznspyder
Oct 30, 2005, 03:15 AM
Hey guys!

I tried to plug in my Sony Handycam via USB and it's not being recognized at all in my Mac. iMovie didn't turn up anything either. Anyone have any ideas besides buying the firewire cable for it?

tdhurst
Oct 30, 2005, 04:01 AM
Video software from Apple only recognizes camcorders with fw connections.
Why?

Firewire is MUCH better at sustaining data transfer, so the possibility of dropped frames is reduced considerably.

VanMac
Oct 30, 2005, 04:30 PM
Yup, you need firewire as stated. Cables are not that expensive, so no worries mate.

Anonymous Freak
Oct 30, 2005, 06:11 PM
Hey guys!

I tried to plug in my Sony Handycam via USB and it's not being recognized at all in my Mac. iMovie didn't turn up anything either. Anyone have any ideas besides buying the firewire cable for it?

As has been said, you need a FireWire cable.

On the Sonys, the USB only lets you transfer still pictures or low-quality MPEG videos off the memory stick, even on a PC, it won't let you transfer DV video over USB. (Depending on the model of Handicam, it might support 'live USB streaming' where it will act as a webcam, but Apple supports that over FireWire so you don't actually lose that.)

Aliquis
Nov 2, 2005, 09:08 PM
And there is so much more you can do (speedwise) with firewire, - transferring pics is faster, etc.

Secondly, if you have one of the previous iPods, they came with a 6pin to 4pin firewire adapter. If you have one of these you can just use (or buy) a regular 6to6 pin firewire cable which you can later use for networking two macs together, or an external firewire drive, etc. and then just use the adapter for your camera.

Voila!

godfather911
Nov 18, 2005, 05:15 PM
I have a sony handycam model dvd803, it only has a usb II port no firewire or dv out. how can i connect it to my mac? anyone know?

mjstew33
Nov 18, 2005, 05:20 PM
I have a sony handycam model dvd803, it only has a usb II port no firewire or dv out. how can i connect it to my mac? anyone know?
I think your screwed :eek:

ITASOR
Nov 18, 2005, 05:58 PM
If it's the one that records to the Mini DVD's then there isn't any other way to connect it to iMovie than getting an RCA --> Firewire box. I used a Miglia Directors Cut II to get video from one into iMovie.

mjstew33
Nov 18, 2005, 06:07 PM
If it's the one that records to the Mini DVD's then there isn't any other way to connect it to iMovie than getting an RCA --> Firewire box. I used a Miglia Directors Cut II to get video from one into iMovie.
...or that ;) :D

Anonymous Freak
Nov 20, 2005, 11:58 AM

DVD camcorders are HORRIBLE if you want to edit your video. If you just want to burn to DVD, and be done with it, they're great. But if you ever want to do any editing, you're in trouble.

First, I hope you don't have a slot-load DVD drive on your Mac. If you do, then you'll need an external DVD drive to read the disc.

Then, you'll need to put the mini-DVD into your tray-load DVD drive, and use a program like Handbrake to import it into your computer. I'd recommend having it transcode to DV, as that's the format iMovie is most friendly with. (It's also the largest, as it's pure uncompressed video.)

SaleenS351
Jan 16, 2006, 08:10 PM
didn't want to start a new thread, please don't flame for bringing up an old post. I recieved a handycam dvd recorder and i was wandering if i do get the RCA firwire box will i still be able to import into imovie and edit the same as with a camera that uses tapes? I hope i'm not screwed with this camera.

Anonymous Freak
Jan 16, 2006, 10:55 PM
didn't want to start a new thread, please don't flame for bringing up an old post. I recieved a handycam dvd recorder and i was wandering if i do get the RCA firwire box will i still be able to import into imovie and edit the same as with a camera that uses tapes? I hope i'm not screwed with this camera.

Correct, if you use an RCA-to-FireWire converter, then it doesn't matter what the original format is. You can use one of those to convert an old Betamax video tape. As long as your device has standard RCA out jacks. (Or can with a supplied cable, as most Sony camcorders use.)

So you're just a little screwed. :-)

In general, DVD camcorders are great if you don't want to edit; you just take out the disc, and pop it in grandpa's DVD player. But they suck when you want to edit. MiniDV camcorders are great when you want to edit, but you have to send them through the computer if you want to play them on a TV. (Unless you want to always use the TV-Out on the camcorder.)

kevindosi
Mar 17, 2006, 12:17 AM
i have a sony handycam dcr-hc32 and realize that i must use a firewire cable to transfer video to my mac. i bought a 6-4 pin firewire cable but don't know where to hook it up. i cant figure out where to plug it in, can anyone help?

bearda
Mar 17, 2006, 02:11 PM
i have a sony handycam dcr-hc32 and realize that i must use a firewire cable to transfer video to my mac. i bought a 6-4 pin firewire cable but don't know where to hook it up. i cant figure out where to plug it in, can anyone help?

From what I understand it's on the clear plastic doc that came with the camera. Can't seem to find out much more from there, though.

Andrew Beard

Anonymous Freak
Mar 17, 2006, 04:52 PM

bearda's right. That model only has the FireWire connector on the dock. Sony calls it an 'i.Link' port.

nutmac
Mar 17, 2006, 05:11 PM
I am just guessing here but since DVD camcorders record MPEG-2, maybe Apple's MPEG-2 Playback (http://www.apple.com/quicktime/mpeg2/) QuickTime component will do the trick? Import MPEG-2 video from the DVD, export to DV or MPEG-4, and finally, import it into iMovie?

howesey
Mar 17, 2006, 05:53 PM
[QUOTE=ehurtley (Depending on the model of Handicam, it might support 'live USB streaming' where it will act as a webcam, but Apple supports that over FireWire so you don't actually lose that.)[/QUOTE]
They also support USB for webcams, since iSight went USB I guess. :rolleyes:

chemicalbill
Mar 24, 2006, 08:27 PM
I've had pretty good success using MPEG Streamclip + Quicktime MPEG-2 Component ($20 from Apple store) to extract video from DVDs from my Sony DVD92 camcorder.

I use a tray loading firewire DVD drive to copy the VIDEO_TS folder to the desktop from the mini DVD. In the Streamclip preferences check "fix streams with data breaks" to maintain the audio synchronization. Then, open all the VOB files in the VIDEO_TS folder and "fix time code breaks", command-F, to merge all the files. Finally, export to DV, MPEG-4, etc.

I'm pretty pleased with the results except for some accelerated video in the transition between some files which lasts for a second or two.

Yetra
Jul 25, 2006, 06:37 PM
I have a problem i don't know how to connect my Sony Handy Cam CCD-TRV57 to iMovie HD on my minimac. I dont know what type of cable i should buy fo it since all it has on the camera is an audio and video plugs (Yellow and Black Hole). It won't recognize my camera at all. Please help immediatly for a college project.

Thank YOu

Anonymous Freak
Jul 25, 2006, 07:35 PM
I have a problem i don't know how to connect my Sony Handy Cam CCD-TRV57 to iMovie HD on my minimac. I dont know what type of cable i should buy fo it since all it has on the camera is an audio and video plugs (Yellow and Black Hole). It won't recognize my camera at all. Please help immediatly for a college project.

Thank YOu

You're using an 'analog' camcorder, one that stores its video much the same way as an old cassette tapes store audio. Current Macs don't have any built-in way to import analog video. You would need a device that plugs in to your computer to let it import analog video. Many 'TV tuner' devices (like EyeTV (http://www.elgato.com)) work for this, as do dedicated 'RCA to FireWire' boxes. (Which tend to cost more.)

The yellow and black plugs you're talking about are called 'RCA plugs', the yellow one carries video, the black one carries (mono/1-channel) audio. You would get an 'RCA video' cable which would have yellow, red, and white connections on each end, and plug the yellow into yellow, and the white plug into the black hole on your camcorder. Then you'd plug the other end into the same colors on your video input box (wether it's FireWire or USB-based.) If it's a FireWire converter box, iMovie will natively know what to do with it (it will think it's a video camera,) if it's USB (or even a FireWire TV tuner,) you'll have to use the supplied software.

By comparison, newer 'DV' camcorders store their video as digital data, which can be copied to the computer as direct digital data over the FireWire port. It's similar in concept to a CD (although if you're familiar with 'DAT', that would be a better analogy,) in that it's just on/off bits stored on the tape (or disc for CD,) not a varying magnetic field.

Yetra
Jul 26, 2006, 09:44 AM
I dont understand how eyeTV would work? Thank you for the help.

Yetra
Jul 26, 2006, 09:46 AM
would i get eye tv and then use a usb cord?

balamw
Jul 26, 2006, 10:17 AM
I dont understand how eyeTV would work? Thank you for the help.
You need eyeTV or something similar to convert the analog video signals from your camcorder to digital so that iMovie can process the video.

Anything that translates from composite video (yellow, red and white RCA) to DV/FireWire/iLink/IEEE1394 would do the job.

EDIT: Another option I keep bringing up is that you can use most DV camcorders as an analog/DV brige, even those that are otherwise broken. You can get good deals on eBay.

B

Anonymous Freak
Jul 26, 2006, 01:15 PM
You need eyeTV or something similar to convert the analog video signals from your camcorder to digital so that iMovie can process the video.

Anything that translates from composite video (yellow, red and white RCA) to DV/FireWire/iLink/IEEE1394 would do the job.

EDIT: Another option I keep bringing up is that you can use most DV camcorders as an analog/DV brige, even those that are otherwise broken. You can get good deals on eBay.

B

Unfortunately, older Sonys can NOT act as an analog/DV bridge. (Such as mine, a DCR-PC100.)

balamw
Jul 26, 2006, 02:48 PM
Unfortunately, older Sonys can NOT act as an analog/DV bridge. (Such as mine, a DCR-PC100.)
Define older. ;) Mine, a DCR-TRV11 from 2001 can. You could always record to DV first and play from that.

B

Anonymous Freak
Jul 26, 2006, 04:44 PM
Define older. ;) Mine, a DCR-TRV11 from 2001 can. You could always record to DV first and play from that.

B

Well, fine.. I guess I consider a 2001 model 'newer'... :p (Mine's from 1999.)

dejo
Jul 26, 2006, 04:52 PM

That's a great option that I use frequently. In fact, I bought my particular Sony Digital HandyCam (DCR-TRV17) because it had that particular feature. If you go this route, make sure the camera has an analog-to-digital passthrough convertor. Without the passthrough part, you'd have to capture your footage from the analog source onto DV tape and then playback from the tape and out through the FireWire.

Yetra
Jul 27, 2006, 07:19 AM
Is there a way to convert a 8mm video cassette to a mini DV cassette? If so please tell me because I just bought a new Canon ZR 500.:confused: :p

Anonymous Freak
Jul 27, 2006, 03:41 PM
Is there a way to convert a 8mm video cassette to a mini DV cassette? If so please tell me because I just bought a new Canon ZR 500.:confused: :p

Yes. Put the recorded 8mm tape in your 8mm camcorder, and a blank tape in your DV camcorder. Plug the video output of your 8mm camcorder into the video input of your DV camcorder. Put both into 'VCR' or 'playback' mode. Hit play on the 8mm, and record on the DV. Wait the length of your movie. Done.

That's it. If you no longer have an 8mm camcorder, then you'll have to take it to a video production shop that does this sort of stuff.

Rickay726
Jul 29, 2006, 10:30 AM
the usb connection is only used for transfering photos with the handycam. You need to go to compusa and get yourself a firewire cable, i have a handycam and had the same problem.

KLR
Aug 1, 2006, 12:31 AM

On the Sonys, the USB only lets you transfer still pictures or low-quality MPEG videos off the memory stick, even on a PC, it won't let you transfer DV video over USB. (Depending on the model of Handicam, it might support 'live USB streaming' where it will act as a webcam, but Apple supports that over FireWire so you don't actually lose that.)

I have a Sony DCR-DVD301 miniDVD handycam with no firewire connection and a new MacBook Pro 15". How do I transfer the video from the miniDVD's into my Mac?

tdhurst
Aug 1, 2006, 12:55 AM
I have a Sony DCR-DVD301 miniDVD handycam with no firewire connection and a new MacBook Pro 15". How do I transfer the video from the miniDVD's into my Mac?

Whatever you do, DO NOT PUT THE MINI DVD INTO YOUR SLOT LOADING DRIVE.

Besides that...you need proprietary sony software and a tray loading drive.

KLR
Aug 1, 2006, 01:27 AM
Whatever you do, DO NOT PUT THE MINI DVD INTO YOUR SLOT LOADING DRIVE.

Besides that...you need proprietary sony software and a tray loading drive.

Couldn't I just use an RCA to FireWire converter box (which I could also use to convert old videocassettes) and avoid getting the tray loading drive and software from Sony?

balamw
Aug 1, 2006, 01:31 AM
Couldn't I just use an RCA to FireWire converter box (which I could also use to convert old videocassettes) and avoid getting the tray loading drive and software from Sony?
You might as well since that's a shorter path to iMovie, which doesn't handle MPEG-2/DVD input very well... Although you end up doing the digital to analog to digital dance...

B

Anonymous Freak
Aug 1, 2006, 02:02 PM

If you have a tray-load external DVD drive, you can put the miniDVD in there, and use software like HandBrake to rip it to DV format. (I'm on the road, and don't have a DVD handy, so I can't double check, but I think HandBrake can rip to DV... If not, try MactheRipper or FortyTwo or some similar utility.)

balamw
Aug 1, 2006, 02:03 PM
If you have a tray-load external DVD drive, you can put the miniDVD in there, and use software like HandBrake to rip it to DV format. (I'm on the road, and don't have a DVD handy, so I can't double check, but I think HandBrake can rip to DV... If not, try MactheRipper or FortyTwo or some similar utility.)
mpeg streamclip and DVDxDV are the two utilities most commonly referred to for this operation.

B

Anonymous Freak
Aug 1, 2006, 11:38 PM
mpeg streamclip and DVDxDV are the two utilities most commonly referred to for this operation.

B

Last I checked, MPEG Streamclip wasn't Universal. Is it finally? And I hadn't heard of DVDxDV. That sounds like the perfect utility!

balamw
Aug 2, 2006, 12:28 AM
Version 1.7 of streamclip is universal (http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html). I don't know about DVDxDV.

B

ivymain
Aug 22, 2006, 01:45 PM

I see from the discussion that the USB cable is useless and I need a firewire cable to connect my Handycam DCR-HC30 to my iMac. But in looking at the camera, the other ports are labeled DV, A/V and LANC. Would any of these accept a firewire cable?

Sorry if I sound stupid; I'm new to this.

balamw
Aug 22, 2006, 02:08 PM
But in looking at the camera, the other ports are labeled DV, A/V and LANC. Would any of these accept a firewire cable?
DV or iLink is what you are looking for on a Sony. Should take a 4 pin FireWire cable.

EDIT: Should look something like this:
http://www.digitalvideocameras.co.nz/images/sony_features/iLink.jpg

B

tdhurst
Aug 22, 2006, 02:10 PM
I see from the discussion that the USB cable is useless and I need a firewire cable to connect my Handycam DCR-HC30 to my iMac. But in looking at the camera, the other ports are labeled DV, A/V and LANC. Would any of these accept a firewire cable?

Sorry if I sound stupid; I'm new to this.

DV refers to a four pin firewire connector, also referenced as iLink or IEEE1394.

Most "DV" cables are four pin (connect to the camera) to six pin (what most people would refer to as a "normal" firewire port on a Mac).

That make sense?

ivymain
Aug 22, 2006, 05:04 PM
Oh. In that case, Sony helpfully included a firewire cable. Thank you both very much. The next question is, where does it plug into the iMac? I don't see a port that looks right.

Anonymous Freak
Aug 22, 2006, 06:06 PM
Oh. In that case, Sony helpfully included a firewire cable. Thank you both very much. The next question is, where does it plug into the iMac? I don't see a port that looks right.

Sony includes 4-pin connectors on all of their computers, so they probably included a 4-pin-to-4-pin cable. Apple uses 6-pin connectors on their computers. So you will need either a 6-pin-to-4-pin cable, or a 6-pin-to-6-pin cable plus a 6-pin-to-4-pin converter. (Often included with cables.) Unfortunately, I don't know of any that convert a 4-pin into a 6-pin.

Apple has a good article (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58207) on FireWire ports.

The FireWire port on your iMac looks like port 3 in the following picture:
http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/51/860601126803219/www.info.apple.com/images/kbase/88119/88119_2.gif

(This happens to be an iBook, Apple doesn't appear to have any pictures of the ports on an iMac on their website!)

Ah, here we go, snagged from the PDF 'iMac Technology Overview':

patrickmdryan
Nov 24, 2006, 02:30 PM
:confused: Help! New SONY Handycam 30GB - HD AVCHD

How do I connect this to my Mac? I need to connect for web conferencing and for imovie and so forth. So what's the trick?
It only appears to have USB and that serves to apparently the PC only.
Thanks everyone!
Patrick
patrickmdryan@comcast.net

Anonymous Freak
Nov 24, 2006, 10:48 PM
Patrick, see your email.

For others: At present, the only way to edit AVCHD is to use the bundled software. Which is, sadly, Windows-only.

I fully expect iMovie '07 to include the ability to import and edit AVCHD when it is (likely) released in January. (I'm specifically waiting for then to buy an HD camcorder, just to see if iMovie gets AVCHD editing.)

whenpaulsparks
Dec 8, 2006, 10:01 AM
I'd recommend having it transcode to DV, as that's the format iMovie is most friendly with. (It's also the largest, as it's pure uncompressed video.)

Correction: DV isn't uncompressed. it's intraframe compressed, as opposed to MPEG-2/4's interframe compression. uncompressed raw DV-sized video would be well in excess of 100Mbps.

Hollan
Dec 25, 2007, 05:03 PM
Hey guys!

You need to open it up and tell it to connect to your mac, it works just like an external hard drive

Anonymous Freak
Dec 26, 2007, 03:45 AM
You need to open it up and tell it to connect to your mac, it works just like an external hard drive

uh......

You do realize that this thread is over two years old, and that the answer has long since been answered, right?

brrkelly
Jan 3, 2008, 09:16 AM
I got a sony handy cam for XMAS and am using a Macbook. I have a 4-6 pin fire wire cable, but when connected, nothing happens, on the Mac or the Handy cam. It is a a MiniDV handycam dcr hc28. Am I missing something?

tdhurst
Jan 3, 2008, 10:16 AM
I got a sony handy cam for XMAS and am using a Macbook. I have a 4-6 pin fire wire cable, but when connected, nothing happens, on the Mac or the Handy cam. It is a a MiniDV handycam dcr hc28. Am I missing something?

Well, what would you like to happen? It to become sentient? Make you breakfast? Import video? Do a little soft shoe?

;)

brrkelly
Jan 4, 2008, 06:11 PM
Well, what would you like to happen? It to become sentient? Make you breakfast? Import video? Do a little soft shoe?

;)

Breakfast yes. Import video into Imovie would be even better

gauchogolfer
Jan 4, 2008, 06:14 PM
Breakfast yes. Import video into Imovie would be even better

Have you followed the instructions in the camcorder manual for connecting to a computer? Usually it involves putting the camera in VCR mode or something similar. Also, some cameras don't have auto-sensing that a cable is plugged in, and so you may have to manually activate the FireWire port.

tdhurst
Jan 4, 2008, 06:53 PM
I plug everything in, turn on the camera, switch it to vcr, then launch iMovie. Should work from there.

Sopheebs
Jan 25, 2008, 07:24 AM
I have a handycam DCR-HC19E and can't get my mac G4 to recognize it via usb. I'm getting a macbook air soon though... will this be more likely to recognize the camcorder? or do i still need to buy a different cable, i.e. firewire, and if so, which one? Sony have been v. unhelpful... their 'contact us' page is a broken link.

Anonymous Freak
Jan 25, 2008, 11:51 AM
I have a handycam DCR-HC19E and can't get my mac G4 to recognize it via usb. I'm getting a macbook air soon though... will this be more likely to recognize the camcorder? or do i still need to buy a different cable, i.e. firewire, and if so, which one? Sony have been v. unhelpful... their 'contact us' page is a broken link.

That is an old fashioned standard definition "mini DV" camcorder. mini DV camcorders on OS X are only supported when connected via FireWire, regardless of your computer. Buy a FireWire cable, plug it in, turn on the camera, and open up iMovie.

The FireWire cable you want is a 6-pin to 4-pin cable. The 4-pin end is a small plug that goes into the camcorder, the 6-pin end is a bigger end that goes into the computer.

Sopheebs
Jan 26, 2008, 12:37 PM
I spy a problem here if I'm getting a MacBook Air which doesn't have a firewire port. Surprising seeing as how Apple seems to be in love with firewire. Is there any other way of connecting a firewire cable?

tdhurst
Jan 26, 2008, 01:52 PM
I spy a problem here if I'm getting a MacBook Air which doesn't have a firewire port. Surprising seeing as how Apple seems to be in love with firewire. Is there any other way of connecting a firewire cable?

No...sounds like a macbook air isn't a great choice if you're planning on editing digital video. Have you seen the benchmarks?

Anonymous Freak
Jan 26, 2008, 02:42 PM
Well, if you're upgrading from a PowerPC, and are also planning on buying an AVCHD camcorder, the MacBook Air would work just fine. (I specify upgrading from PowerPC simply because all but the 1.5 GHz Core Solo Mac mini would be at least equal in speed to the MacBook Air.)

tdhurst
Jan 26, 2008, 03:05 PM
Well, if you're upgrading from a PowerPC, and are also planning on buying an AVCHD camcorder, the MacBook Air would work just fine. (I specify upgrading from PowerPC simply because all but the 1.5 GHz Core Solo Mac mini would be at least equal in speed to the MacBook Air.)

I suppose. Is this your only computer?

Sopheebs
Jan 27, 2008, 04:24 AM
Just had a look at the benchmarks and I'm a bit surprised. There doesn't seem much point in the MacBook Air - provided Apple are still going to update the old MacBooks. It's only fancy because it runs Leopard and has the touchpad but the new MacBooks now run Leopard too... so is it all just about the size of the machine? That's pretty pointless as all it means is fewer ports, less battery life and no DVD drive. Is there anything good about it?

Anonymous Freak
Jan 27, 2008, 08:46 PM
Just had a look at the benchmarks and I'm a bit surprised. There doesn't seem much point in the MacBook Air - provided Apple are still going to update the old MacBooks. It's only fancy because it runs Leopard and has the touchpad but the new MacBooks now run Leopard too... so is it all just about the size of the machine? That's pretty pointless as all it means is fewer ports, less battery life and no DVD drive. Is there anything good about it?

To a decent number of people, size is enough.

If this machine had come out at the same time as the original 15" MacBook Pro at the beginning of 2006 (well, one with early 2006 specs, anyway,) I would have gotten this instead of the MacBook Pro. I was replacing a 12" PowerBook G4, and even if I had to accept a 1.5 GHz low-power Core Duo instead of the 2.0 GHz Core Duo, and a fixed 1 GB of RAM, I would have. (Although I would have preferred a 12.1" widescreen model.)

Sopheebs
Jan 28, 2008, 02:13 PM
If this machine had come out at the same time as the original 15" MacBook Pro at the beginning of 2006 (well, one with early 2006 specs, anyway,) I would have gotten this instead of the MacBook Pro.

As would I, but Apple move fast. I'm on a 2005 iBook G4 so anything is an upgrade for me, and if I could afford a desktop as well I would get an iMac AND an Air, because you're right, the portability is a huge selling point, but it's not enough of one for someone who's relying on it as their only computer. It was built to be used alongside one with a disk drive. I'll be buying a Pro because the package I need comes out at exactly the same price as the Air package, and although it's bulkier I could really do with the firewire port and disk drive. Also it's running a slightly newer version of Leopard than Air is although there's probably not much difference.

naga05
Apr 9, 2008, 02:57 PM
Hi all,

I'm in a spot of bad luck over here. Good thing there's this sort of forum, so maybe y'all can help me out a bit? :)

I've got a Sony DCR-HC30E and a 4-pin-to-6-pin FireWire cable, but when I plug them together and into my Macbook Pro, both Final Cut Pro and iMovie HD don't recognize the camera. I've already switched it on and set it to the Play/Edit function, which is the equivalent of the VTR/VCR mode.

I don't understand why it's not working, though, as I've used it plenty of times before and it's worked fine. However, maybe I should mention that I just bought the FireWire cable today, as I lost the original one that came with the camera quite recently.

Any help would be much appreciated, as I've got a company profile video to edit tonight and it's due in 6 hours :(

jjostes89
Dec 6, 2008, 10:56 AM
I have a Digital Handycam Digital8 DCR-TRV350 NTSC. I have a dv to firewire cable and it wont come up on my computer. i Was just wondering if i could put the video on my computer if it was on an 8mm tape or do i have to have a memory card. Or is there something totally different i would need?

:apple: Macbook 2.4 GHz Ipod touch 8 GB :apple:

Anonymous Freak
Dec 6, 2008, 03:13 PM
I have a Digital Handycam Digital8 DCR-TRV350 NTSC. I have a dv to firewire cable and it wont come up on my computer. i Was just wondering if i could put the video on my computer if it was on an 8mm tape or do i have to have a memory card. Or is there something totally different i would need?

A Digital8 camcorder is basically the same as a MiniDV camcorer, only using the larger 8mm tapes. As such, it should act exactly the same to your computer as a MiniDV camcorder. Which means you need to open up an app that supports DV-in to import. It won't appear as a disk. iMovie is the standard video editing app. Just open up iMovie, then click "Import" (iMovie is also generally smart enough to open the Import dialog when you connect/turn on a supported camera.)

The memory card is only for still pictures. The memory card should appear as a disk; but again, it only stores stills. iPhoto should open when you attach that.

Note that the FireWire connection *ONLY* does video; and the USB connection (to a Mac,) *ONLY* does still photos (specifically, mounting the memory card as a disk.) Your model supports "USB Streaming", which means that it basically makes your camcorder appear as a webcam to the computer; but that is not supported by OS X. You have to turn that function off in the camera's menu to get the memory card to mount in the OS.

bxf
Dec 14, 2008, 07:06 PM
Hey, I have a MiniDV camera, Sony Handycam DCR-HC30, and a macbook. I bough the firewire cable, and Final Cut recognized the camera, and I was able to transfer the video, but there's no sound.... I tried iMovie, but it doesn't even recognize the camera... Can anyone help me?

Anonymous Freak
Dec 15, 2008, 04:44 PM
Hey, I have a MiniDV camera, Sony Handycam DCR-HC30, and a macbook. I bough the firewire cable, and Final Cut recognized the camera, and I was able to transfer the video, but there's no sound.... I tried iMovie, but it doesn't even recognize the camera... Can anyone help me?

First, what version of FC and what version of iMovie?

Second, sort-of-obviously: If you play it back on the camcorder, does it have sound?

Third: Is it just that you can't hear sound as it is importing, or is it that after it is on the computer, when you play it back it has no sound?

If on the computer, again, rather obvious question, are your speakers muted? (Hey, it's amazing how many problems are solved by asking seemingly obvious questions...)

bxf
Dec 15, 2008, 07:52 PM
Thanks for answering me back!

- I have Final cut express HD, and iMovie '08 (7.1.4)
- The video has sound when I play it on my camcoder
- I can't hear sound after it has already been imported.... when I drag the video to the timeline on Final Cut, there's no sound track
- The speakers aren't muted... (I completely agree.... we have to ask the most obvious at first!)

giaotze
Jul 27, 2009, 05:57 PM
I tried to use the sony picture package through parallel to rip off the video, however I wasn't able to.
I should be able to, theoretically right?

Thanks for the help

yellowbicycle
Dec 11, 2009, 12:16 PM
My mission is to edit together a bunch of clips from soccer games.
Problem: Video recorded on Sony Handycam DCR-DVD 505-records on MINI-DVDS
Camera DOES NOT have Firewire port, or RCA plugs
Camera only has USB port.
I edit with a Macbook that has firewire and USB.

So far I have tried:
1. plugging in camera, mac does not recognize at all or react
2. using external dvd drive, put mini dvd in, window comes up asking me what to open it in, but when i choose either IDVD or dvd player, does not allow import----MOST NOTABLY disc DOES NOT appear on desktop-not recognizing fully- have received messages that program doesn't support the disc

I need help....is there an affordable $20-40 cable that can go from USB on camera into FIREWIRE port on computer? What other options do I have?

Anonymous Freak
Dec 14, 2009, 01:40 AM
I need help....is there an affordable $20-40 cable that can go from USB on camera into FIREWIRE port on computer? What other options do I have?

I'll answer this one first. The answer is *NO*.

2. using external dvd drive, put mini dvd in, window comes up asking me what to open it in, but when i choose either IDVD or dvd player, does not allow import----MOST NOTABLY disc DOES NOT appear on desktop-not recognizing fully- have received messages that program doesn't support the disc

This was the closest to being what you needed to do. You just missed one small step first.

You need to "finalize" the disc on the camcorder. *THEN* it will appear on your Mac. But, it still won't be easily editable.

The problem is that the camcorder records in standard "DVD Video" format. This is the same format as a hollywood DVD, only without the copy protection or fancy menus. DVD Video is a format that is not simple to edit, being based on the also not simple to edit MPEG-2.

The first trick is to make the disc recognizable to your Mac, which requires that you "finalize" the disc. Without finalizing, the disc is only recognizable by DVD recording camcorders, and a few home-theater DVD players. So that has to be done first.

Once the disc has been finalized, your Mac will see it as a standard DVD Video. Then you will need to use software such as Handbrake to rip it to your computer as a single QuickTime-compatible file.

*THEN* iMovie should be able to do something useful with it.

asmilingirl
Dec 30, 2009, 10:57 PM
I just got a MacBook for Christmas and was excited to upload movies from my Sony Handycam Digital8 DCR-TRV280; which takes digital 8 tapes.

My MacBook does not have a firewire port and it is not recognizing my camera. I have a one year old and lots of tapes of her that I would like to upload and edit.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

snowgirl
Aug 6, 2010, 01:23 PM
Hey guys!

Hi, You can use Sony DCR Video Converter Mac.

Free guide and tips for how to import Sony DCR SD video to iMovie/FCE/FCP on Mac OS X(including Snow Leopard) for editing with Mac Sony DCR Video Converter. Free Download!

Learn more information:

ilifesoft.com/how-to/convert-sony-dcr-video-on-mac.htm

mmm2m8r
Apr 22, 2011, 11:37 AM
I tried following the advice and nothing happened. Before I gave up I plugged the built in USB cable into the IMAC, closed the IMOVIE, turned on the camera and it download PMB and then it updated and all the stuff in the camera appeared on the IMAC. This was an HDR-CX360V Sony Handycam. I took a Cannon Vixea expensive camera back to Best Buy after it wouldn't upload anything and got this one. This is lucky for me because I usually spend tons of money trying to figure this stuff out and nothing works.

mmm2m8r
Apr 23, 2011, 08:44 PM
:confused: Help! New SONY Handycam 30GB - HD AVCHD

How do I connect this to my Mac? I need to connect for web conferencing and for imovie and so forth. So what's the trick?
It only appears to have USB and that serves to apparently the PC only.
Thanks everyone!
Patrick
patrickmdryan@comcast.net

I have the Sony AVCHD (HDR-CX360V). I have a new iMac. I plugged in the power cord to the camera. Plugged in the built in USB. Opened the camera screen (turned it on). The camera screen gave choice to connect a USB or disk. I picked USB. Somewhere shortly after, the camera screen asked if I wanted to transfer the PMB program on board the camera. Did that, picked Mac OS option, loaded it on computer. As far as I see so far, this seems to be used for uploading to other social websites like Facebook, etc. Don't know if it actually plays a role in transfer of movies. Anyway, clicking on the icon on the computer screen now opens that up. The next time I transferred movies I figured it out. After connecting everything and opening the camera screen it will ask if you want a USB connection. Do that. Then open iMovie. None of the dragging of thumbnails worked that had appeared on the PMB app. Forget that except for stills. On the left side of iMovie appears a camera icon. Click that. It will download what is on the camera. i don't remember exactly, but somewhere on the screen it opened it shows all the stuff on your camera. If you only want to down load a particular movie (this was represented as a movie film icon with HD on it), move the "auto-manual" slider on the left side down to manual. Click which movie you want and it goes right into iMovie as an event. I don't remember where exactly I traced the location of the actual file it downloaded but by right clicking somewhere it gave option to open containing folder which in my case was under my name as user and movies and iMovies and ievents. Sorry about the long answer.

Tailspin1
May 1, 2011, 05:01 AM
Hey there folks - probably been asked (and answered) a thousand times. I have recently purchased the above camera and have hit upon the usual Mac/Sony dilemma of not being able to copy recorded material across.

The camera instruction suggests connecting the USB cable and then click on the icon on camera screen to DL to your computer. I hence connected the USB cable and proceeded to DL the material to the Mac and saved in a general file to desktop. Thinking everything was going to be fine the camera then instructed me to disconnect and further, asked me to re-format HD (erase for future use).

So now, I have the only media files available for review through my MacBook.

PROBLEM!!! The Mac suggests the following error: "The file is not a movie file." Yet the attachment is .MPG and is showing as a Quicktime file. I further tried to import file through iMovie to no avail with the instruction: The file could not be imported: 'The file “Macintosh HD/Users/tailspinone/Desktop/My Documents/Paranormal/Para-Docs (PSI)/Paradocs/M2U00015.MPG” can’t be imported; QuickTime couldn’t parse it: -2048'

Any solutions? I DO have a Windows notebook so I could always transfer the files back across and try that but I really don't like Windows and would prefer to use the MacBook for all future DL's.

HELP!!!

As an addendum to the above, I have DL'd iMedia and it appears the movie is viewable through that. Looks like I may have to purchase a copy. But if there IS another way???

gsahli
May 1, 2011, 09:57 PM
Try installing Perian and then try importing the file to iMovie:
http://download.cnet.com/Perian/3000-2139_4-100532.html

What version of iMovie are you trying?

BigDukeSix
May 4, 2011, 11:40 PM
I bought one of these, and it works great!!! EAsy to use, I was importing immediately from my Sony Digital 8 TRV-320

http://www.amazon.com/Elgato-Video-Capture-Device-White/dp/B0029U2YSA

azmom
May 8, 2011, 12:26 AM
I have this sony handycam DCR-SR46 and as everyone has said Mac does not recognize the device is connected when I plug in the USB cable. I don't know what to do. This is a digital camera not analog and some of the replies I read are for analog. Since Sony has these funny ports standard cables don't work-I don't think. Can someone please tell me what to do?

gsahli
May 8, 2011, 11:08 PM
Tell us where this doesn't work for you:
http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&externalId=C455202&fes=true

And if it doesn't work, tell us your OS version and iMovie version.

jstaz855
Aug 7, 2013, 12:30 AM
I have a Handycam HDR-CX190 and I have taken video and imported it onto iMovie via the USB connection before. However, now for some unknown reason it is not working. I tried taking out the SD card and putting it into the SD card reader on my iMac but it wont show up on the desk top but I can find it in Disk Utility but dont know what to do from there. Any Help would be great.