PDA

View Full Version : Skype on Powerbook and Intel Mac Mini

California
May 18, 2013, 01:23 AM
Can I skype on my powerbook with the same username but a different version than my intel Mac Mini skype?

Doesn't seem to want to recognize my password in the PPC Skype version.

Does anyone know?

superriku11
May 18, 2013, 01:59 AM
Can I skype on my powerbook with the same username but a different version than my intel Mac Mini skype?

Doesn't seem to want to recognize my password in the PPC Skype version.

Does anyone know?

A single Skype login should work across all versions. It did recently when I tried it. However they may've changed some things in the move from Skype 5 to Skype 6, and perhaps if you've used Skype 6, it updates something server-side that prevents 2.8 from working anymore.

I still use 2.8 because I can't stand the layout and "functionality" of newer versions. And just so you know, Skype 2.8 (the last PowerPC version) will still run just fine on the newest OS X, aside from some emoticon glitches, but I can live with those.

So if differing versions doesn't work for you, the best solution may be to use Skype 2.8 on both computers.

California
May 18, 2013, 04:43 AM
A single Skype login should work across all versions. It did recently when I tried it. However they may've changed some things in the move from Skype 5 to Skype 6, and perhaps if you've used Skype 6, it updates something server-side that prevents 2.8 from working anymore.

I still use 2.8 because I can't stand the layout and "functionality" of newer versions. And just so you know, Skype 2.8 (the last PowerPC version) will still run just fine on the newest OS X, aside from some emoticon glitches, but I can live with those.

So if differing versions doesn't work for you, the best solution may be to use Skype 2.8 on both computers.

Thank you so much for explaining it all... I'm going to downgrade.