Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

afroahmed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2005
Hi, i ordered my black 30gb 5th gen ipod about a week and a half ago.. expecting it soon.

Should i invest in any screen protection? i am scared of it getting scratched to hell.

Should i get the full works? (the skin that protects EVERYthing ... front,back clickwheel etc).. or should i just get the screen protection one?

Im thinking of ordering this:

http://www.decalgirl.com/browse.cfm/4,3729.htm

is it worth it? its fairly cheap compared to the other ones.

will it look cheap/ tacky?

thanks.

afroahmed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2005
bump.

can someone please advise? my cousin also is expecting his 5g ipod soon, so we will probably end up ordering the shields together... does that link look good?

khisayruou

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2004
There are lots of people unhappy with decal girl for one reason or another.
Check out the dicussions over at apple, there are lots of posts about it.

I have theinvisibleshield, I like it a lot but it is rather pricey and does have a slight orange peel texture to it.

If you think you are going to ever drop it by accident, then get a silicon skin like iskin with screen protector.

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
The iPod comes with a protective film over the screen and click wheel, similar to that found on cell phone screens when you first open them... I'm just keeping that on until a case worth buying comes out. I store it with that screen film, with the iPod on top of the included case (not inside) and then I put it all inside the plastic wrapping that the case comes in... I'll put a picture up if you can't visualize what I'm talking about.

Daniel

afroahmed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2005
thanks for your reply's guys.

can someone please link me to the post on apple forums about decalgirl? i couldnt find it...

I ordered socks with it... for a laugh. will theese protect my ipod from damage? it will live in them 99% of the time.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
afroahmed said:
I ordered socks with it... for a laugh. will theese protect my ipod from damage? it will live in them 99% of the time.
Well, they should protect your iPod from externally-caused damage.

But there's no telling what the inside of the sock will do to the outside of your iPod. I hate to be a cynic, but I have a hard time believing that a Gen5 iPod in a sock isn't gonna get the bejeezus scratched out of it by the sock itself.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
I've used the sock with the nano for over a month. No scratching, beyond some very minor ones that you can only see if you shine light on it at the right angle.

afroahmed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2005
thankyou for your replies.

wow, that has put my mind at rest. I will use my socks for a while and if i notice some visible scratches ill start thinking about a screen protector.

Thanks for your help.

p.s - Update. my ipod is in amsterdam... not long now!:eek:

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
otoloui said:
I just ordered a Martin Fields brand shield for my 5G iPod, any experience with this one?
I like it for my Nano; preserves the same OEM glossy look and feel. I haven't tested it for durability and I don't intend to either. :p

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
Go to Target and get the $1.99 roll of scotch Packaging Super Strength tape. Its crystal clear, tough, smooth and cheap. Just put it on my 60gb video and it works perfect. Way better than anything out there in my opinion. $25 for invisible shield is a joke. Plus if you mess up with scotch you can re-apply like a thousand times until you get it right.

Just lay it over the screen on your ipod, turn it over and use an exacto knife to trim away the excess. Easy.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
balamw said:
Mine should be in my mailbox today, so I'll let you know. ;)
As expected I received my MF screen protector for the 5G in the mail today, and just finished applying it.

Pros: Crystal clear, doesn't change overall appearance of iPod, stiff, relatively less prone to air bubbles than flimsier protectors. Looks very durable. Much easier to apply than invisible shield (no water).

Cons: hard to remove backing without touching the sticky side, particularly with the big cutout for the clickwheel. The edges also don't seem to be as well adhered as the rest of it.

It would be really nice if the backing had a tab on it that would facilitate removal.

I managed to trap two small fibers in the display area that created small air bubbles around them. These are much less visible than a scratch would be, but are nevertheless annoying. I'll keep this one on for the time being, but when I decide to remove it and reapply the spare I bought I'll do so in the clean room at work, and not late a night when my cat loves to roam near whatever I'm doing.

Overall score 8/10.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.