Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nathan20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
Just made a quick mock up of a less glossy lock screen, would love feedback.

I haven't changed much as I can not see Apple radically diverting from the current style(and i see no need), but it does give the lock screen a nice and welcome update.

The font used is Avenir light for the date and time but for the slide to unlock i used Avenir Next Ultra Light.

Attachments

• Two iPhones 5.jpg
    Two iPhones 5.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 306
  • Lock Screen.png
    Lock Screen.png
    386 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_2729.PNG
    IMG_2729.PNG
    356 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Just made a quick mock up of a less glossy lock screen, would love feedback.

I haven't changed much as I can not see Apple radically diverting from the current style(and i see no need), but it does give the lock screen a nice and welcome update.

The font used is Avenir light for the date and time but for the slide to unlock i used Avenir Next Ultra Light.

Looks like an old Nokia wallpaper... Is it?

Nathan20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
i dont want the "slide to unlock" anymore, i'm really bored of it. apple should change that in iOS7

Personally i do not think that they should get rid of it as millions of people have become so accustomed to it that many would probably hate a change.

One area they could change is the animation of unlocking the screen which would be a subtle, but great change.

Nathan20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
Why? I think it's great... it's simple, and it works.

I love the concept design by the way. Much cleaner looking. Nice work!

Thanks, was just trying to be a little realistic compared to some of concept videos out there!!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Why? I think it's great... it's simple, and it works.

I love the concept design by the way. Much cleaner looking. Nice work!

There should be an option to hide it and still work.
I know where to slide, I don't need to see it, for the camera function the same, just slide up to get into the camera App.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I know where to slide, I don't need to see it, for the camera function the same, just slide up to get into the camera App.

You do, others don't (new users)

Peronally slide to unlock doesn't bother me at all. I find it much better then having to zik zak a finger accross the screen.

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England

Hm... I think Apple would give us the option to hide News Stand before they give us the option to hide what undoubtedly gives the iOS Lock Screen that distinctive look? I don't think it's too much of an eye sore/inconvenience like News Stand is either.

Thanks, was just trying to be a little realistic compared to some of concept videos out there!!

Think you got it spot on. 90% of the concept videos out there are totally unrealistic!

jaenicky

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2013
I've got a jailbroken phone and there are so many cool ways to implement lock screen without deviating too much from the classic version. Apple shouldn't be so against change.

Nathan20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
I've got a jailbroken phone and there are so many cool ways to implement lock screen without deviating too much from the classic version. Apple shouldn't be so against change.

I don't think that they are against change, just against change for changes sake.

jonasdamn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2013
i would enjoy if it would be something similar to nexus unlock screen as optional screen unlocking method

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
I don't think that they are against change, just against change for changes sake.

I just actually changed my lock screen to an Android inspired version ;)

Sometimes I think Apple finds it difficult changing basic things like the lock screen because they're recognisable as 'iPhone'. - Hopefully they can seriously shake things up. As an iPhone user since around April/May 2008...I'm so bored of iOS!

Attachments

• IMG_2998.PNG
    IMG_2998.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 240

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

Sometimes I think Apple finds it difficult changing basic things like the lock screen because they're recognisable as 'iPhone'. - Hopefully they can seriously shake things up. As an iPhone user since around April/May 2008...I'm so bored of iOS!

That's your lock screen?

Awful!

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I don't like the font, and it doesn't add any functionality, sorry.

Better looking than what Apple has now, to be fair. The current one could use glossy over opaque but this could use new added functionality more than looks.

Nathan20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
I don't like the font, and it doesn't add any functionality, sorry.

Better looking than what Apple has now, to be fair. The current one could use glossy over opaque but this could use new added functionality more than looks.

I've used the font as it is rumoured Apple could be using it in iOS7 and tbh it looks much cleaner.
Also i didn't add any functionality because the lock screen at the moment fulfils my needs therefore am unsure what else i would want out of the lock screen.

jaenicky

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2013

Hey dude what LS theme you using there?

I think if apple think slightly outside the box they can do an awesome job. If jailbreak community can do it then surely they can do something awesome.

jbenkelman

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
I've used the font as it is rumoured Apple could be using it in iOS7 and tbh it looks much cleaner.
Also i didn't add any functionality because the lock screen at the moment fulfils my needs therefore am unsure what else i would want out of the lock screen.

I really like the font. I think its nice and clean. It is amazing how much a simple font change can alter the look of the lock screen. For the time when I did have my iPhone jailbroken (went back to normal eventually) I loved being able to mess with the font of the phone.

----------

Having seen what some of the new Lock Screens from Android phones look like, I still like the clean and consistent look of the iPhone lock screen.

I would be okay with doing away with the "Slide to Unlock" and going for a more abstract unlocking, like Android where you just have to slide your finger.

I think Apple locked into this design when the iPhone was brand new, and the touch screen was something people needed to be coached through almost. We needed to see that we had to slide, and the words helped us understand that. Problem is now, we understand that, toddlers understand that and they can't even read.

Time to move on, try something new, and get people excited for an iOS update for the first time in a long time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.