PDA

View Full Version : Turkish Prime Minister Visits Apple Ahead of Major Tablet Purchase

MacRumors
May 19, 2013, 03:13 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/19/turkish-prime-minister-visits-apple-ahead-of-major-tablet-purchase/)

Anatolia News Agency reports (http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/turkish-pm-visits-silicon-valley.aspx?pageID=238&nID=47138&NewsCatID=338) that Turkish prime minister Recep Tayyip Erdo?an visited Apple yesterday as part of a tour of Silicon Valley companies ahead of the country's move to purchase 10.6 million tablets for its schoolchildren. Erdo?an also visited Microsoft's Bay Area outpost and Google during his trip.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/05/erdogan_apple_visit.jpgTurkish prime minister Recep Tayyip Erdo?an (left) visits Apple
The meeting at Apple was just the latest of numerous interactions between Apple executives and Turkish government officials as Apple seeks to win the massive tablet contract. A number of Apple executives including vice president for education John Couch traveled to Turkey (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/01/apple-executives-meet-with-turkish-president-to-discuss-4-5-billion-ipad-education-initiative/) back in February to meet with Turkish president Abdullah Gül, while Gül had visited Apple in May 2012.

Ahead of the education tablet bid, Apple is in the midst of a significant push into the Turkish market, having launched (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/03/itunes-music-store-launches-in-56-new-countries-movies-arrive-in-four/) the iTunes Store for music and movies there last December and begun hiring (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/12/apple-hiring-for-future-retail-stores-in-brazil-and-turkey/) for future retail stores in the country.

(Thanks, Paul!)

Article Link: Turkish Prime Minister Visits Apple Ahead of Major Tablet Purchase (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/19/turkish-prime-minister-visits-apple-ahead-of-major-tablet-purchase/)

CrazyForApple
May 19, 2013, 03:15 PM
big deal

iPusch
May 19, 2013, 03:17 PM
I like that they hang out Steve Jobs quotes on the wall^^
Looks pretty good!

the8thark
May 19, 2013, 03:19 PM
Looks pretty good!

And that's the major news here, look at that ace Jobs quote on the wall.

Yamcha
May 19, 2013, 03:20 PM
Good stuff, I think I would've done better in school with tablets. I've seen some of the learning applications, and they are lots of fun to use, and educational at the same time..

animatedude
May 19, 2013, 03:21 PM
i never knew Apple had VP for Education...

Shaun, UK
May 19, 2013, 03:22 PM
big deal
bit insulting

Baklava
May 19, 2013, 03:44 PM
off-topic: TÜRKIYE! :D

E.Lizardo
May 19, 2013, 03:45 PM
bit insulting

bit oversensitive

needfx
May 19, 2013, 03:48 PM
Tayyip : Ehh, can I have them by tomorrow?
Tim : Yes of cour... wait, when?

macs4nw
May 19, 2013, 04:18 PM
big deal

A possible big deal, indeed. (Your sarcasm duly noted.)

Just think of the overall ecosystem benefits. If APPLE can be successful with this 'Education Initiative', that would be sensational, not only for the immediate economic windfall to the company, but also as an example to education ministries in other countries, who would no doubt keep a close eye on this 'experiment', and who might follow suit.

If they can convince the Turkish government to go with them, rather than MICROSOFT or GOOGLE, and secure this 'contract', the overall long term benefits of this to APPLE, would be almost incalculable! A brilliant move!

salacious
May 19, 2013, 04:23 PM
good thing for turkish kids but the turkish president is a joke i wouldnt be surprised if he overpaid for the tablets.

Glideslope
May 19, 2013, 04:50 PM
big deal

Actually, it would be. It's not easy when you are always fighting the Bill and Malinda Gates Foundation (actually, just the Malinda Fund) giving away millions of WIN8 Products for free.

10 million is a nice initial footprint for that region. If it happens. :apple:

Internaut
May 19, 2013, 05:28 PM
big deal

Well, it probably is a big deal for Turkey. They probably still have the fastest growing economy in the region (both Europe and the Middle East, bearing in mind they straddle both) and a fast growing high tech industry. Turkish businesses we used to make fun of for being cheap (just like Lucky Goldstar, back in the day) are increasingly well respected. It makes sense that the Turks see a strategic need to update and boost their education.

topper24hours
May 19, 2013, 05:57 PM
big deal

Lol! I see what you did there. ;0)

the8thark
May 19, 2013, 06:41 PM
bit insulting
But uncaring of others feelings.

Borinthas
May 19, 2013, 07:01 PM
Sounds good.

lucas107
May 19, 2013, 07:01 PM
honestly for education purposes all 3 would be the same really so they should go for whatever is cheapest and put the saved cash to other education programs. for this reason I can't see Apple getting it

toaster64
May 19, 2013, 08:14 PM
Actually, it would be. It's not easy when you are always fighting the Bill and Malinda Gates Foundation (actually, just the Malinda Fund) giving away millions of WIN8 Products for free.

Maybe that's what happened to my school. Suddenly, Vista everywhere one year. >90% of the students use Macs.

quietstormSD
May 19, 2013, 08:27 PM
If they were smart, they'd wait for the rumored re-design this fall. Especially if you're buying 10.6 million of them!

iMikeT
May 19, 2013, 09:01 PM
I'm quite jealous of these kids having iPads for school. I can only imagine how much better off I'd be today had iOS devices and the internet been around in my K-12 years.

KieranDotW
May 19, 2013, 09:52 PM
big deal

deal (n): to trade or do business (followed by with or in): eg. to deal with a firm; to deal in used cars

Correct. If Turkey buys 10.6 million iPads from Apple, I suppose you could call that a big deal.

SatManager
May 19, 2013, 10:58 PM
I'm quite jealous of these kids having iPads for school. I can only imagine how much better off I'd be today had iOS devices and the internet been around in my K-12 years.

I wish we had calculators when I went to school that you could afford (class of '78).

gatearray
May 19, 2013, 11:01 PM
If they were smart, they'd wait for the rumored re-design this fall. Especially if you're buying 10.6 million of them!

Well, education sales at that scale get sold at a discount, and when the new iPad gets released I don't think there would be 10 million of 'em available to purchase like that until late next year. :)

A Hebrew
May 19, 2013, 11:40 PM
honestly for education purposes all 3 would be the same really so they should go for whatever is cheapest and put the saved cash to other education programs. for this reason I can't see Apple getting it
This. Unless Turkey has some fanboys I think Google/MS are the best bets. With Google having a decent lead.

bobenhaus
May 20, 2013, 12:13 AM
Good stuff, I think I would've done better in school with tablets. I've seen some of the learning applications, and they are lots of fun to use, and educational at the same time..

Google announced at Google i/o that all 10k schools in Malaysia have chrome-book or Android tablets. Good companies are helping out education.

1member1
May 20, 2013, 01:05 AM
Hes just talking and talking but does nothing.

Ed91
May 20, 2013, 01:15 AM
iPads are fine if you go 1-1. If you share them, the lack of file management really starts to hurt. 10m is a pretty large number, so I assume they'll roll out 1-1, but I hope Apple fixes this.

H2SO4
May 20, 2013, 01:54 AM
iPads are fine if you go 1-1. If you share them, the lack of file management really starts to hurt. 10m is a pretty large number, so I assume they'll roll out 1-1, but I hope Apple fixes this.

If they are being used for an eductional purpose I'm sure that they'll be able to find some software or network based client management system that makes them work.

Moshe1010
May 20, 2013, 01:54 AM
Well, it probably is a big deal for Turkey. They probably still have the fastest growing economy in the region (both Europe and the Middle East, bearing in mind they straddle both) and a fast growing high tech industry. Turkish businesses we used to make fun of for being cheap (just like Lucky Goldstar, back in the day) are increasingly well respected. It makes sense that the Turks see a strategic need to update and boost their education.

No, Israel has the fastest growling economy in the region. With 5-6% growth in a year, Israel's economic growth considered as an economic boom.

topper24hours
May 20, 2013, 02:39 AM
big deal

bit insulting

Lol, this this comment got 11 upvotes!! Amazing how many people don't understand puns. Wow. Well, I got it.. had a little chuckle. Clever you! Sorry it was lost on huffy oversensitive literalists..! *much respects* =)

Smartass
May 20, 2013, 02:50 AM
so i'm guessing that students will also get a free iJihad app on their ipads?:cool:

Azathoth
May 20, 2013, 03:17 AM

Guess what - learning French conjugation is never going to be fun, nor is learning how to solve differential equations. Heck even learning real music theory is pretty boring.

Why do people think that if a school district is going to spend millions of dollars on tablet, that they're going to end up with anything other than a bunch of scuffed up electronic doo-dads by the end of year one?

UKBeast
May 20, 2013, 03:32 AM
so i'm guessing that students will also get a free iJihad app on their ipads?:cool:

Then you are really guessing wrong..

SmoMo
May 20, 2013, 03:47 AM
Looks pretty good!

It's even more surprising when you consider that is a photo of the Google office.

RolyPolyBird
May 20, 2013, 03:51 AM
good thing for turkish kids but the turkish president is a joke i wouldnt be surprised if he overpaid for the tablets.

More important that the kids get access to the iPads and the wider world that awaits them via it. Then they will be less likely to be impressed by religion and the military and they can vote in a better PM when they are older who is worthy.

I have high hopes for Turkey.

UKBeast
May 20, 2013, 04:16 AM
More important that the kids get access to the iPads and the wider world that awaits them via it. Then they will be less likely to be impressed by religion and the military and they can vote in a better PM when they are older who is worthy.

I have high hopes for Turkey.

Do you really think they are impressed by religion or military because of not having ipad or access to internet ? Most families have access to internet at home, while also there are numeruos internet cafes in public areas. Now 10 years old preteens have smartphones playing angry birds in school buses.

These ipads are for children to study lessens, take notes, use internet for educational reasons such as doing homework or research about a subject given as a term homrwork, not for religious or miltary reasons as they are too young to know what the outer world offers them. Get away from your insane stereotypical ideas.

anomie
May 20, 2013, 04:19 AM

Sure, and if turkey wants to sell the tablets off in a few years, which company's tablets will still have some worth?
Sure not android tablets which lose more than half of their worth in a year.

Btw, you really don't get it why people like apple products even if the price looks higher in the first place, do you?

UKBeast
May 20, 2013, 04:26 AM
Sure, and if turkey wants to sell the tablets off in a few years, which company's tablets will still have some worth?

Btw, you really don't get it why people like apple products even if the price looks higher in the first place, do you?

It is not matter of having it cheap, but matter of having long term support and content.

Also, for the last few years Apple under Tim Cook's managment, is doing outstanding investments in Turkey like they are doing on other 2nd class countries. So, these ipads are only a side dish around the beef in plate.

iMikeT
May 20, 2013, 04:30 AM
I wish we had calculators when I went to school that you could afford (class of '78).

All right, you got me there. My parents hadn't even met in 1978, I believe they were still in college then! :eek:

jrsower
May 20, 2013, 04:58 AM

Really living up to the second part of your screen name...

lolkthxbai
May 20, 2013, 06:11 AM
It's even more surprising when you consider that is a photo of the Google office.

Even more surprising yet when you find out its a Samsung Store.

RolyPolyBird
May 20, 2013, 07:29 AM
Do you really think they are impressed by religion or military because of not having ipad or access to internet ? Most families have access to internet at home, while also there are numeruos internet cafes in public areas. Now 10 years old preteens have smartphones playing angry birds in school buses.

These ipads are for children to study lessens, take notes, use internet for educational reasons such as doing homework or research about a subject given as a term homrwork, not for religious or miltary reasons as they are too young to know what the outer world offers them. Get away from your insane stereotypical ideas.

I think you misunderstood me. The more educated and worldly these children become, the less likely they are to succumb to unhelpful ideology. The image you paint of Turkey might be the norm in wealthy cities, but its not like that in regional and in particular eastern Turkey.

marvinGS
May 20, 2013, 07:55 AM
We should first increase living standards of teachers. They make $1000 on average per month. Most need to work on a second job to make a living for their families. The education system is rubbish in Turkey and iPads won't unfortunately make any difference. This is just a show by the Turkish government to divert the attention of people from real problems.

Gasu E.
May 20, 2013, 08:18 AM
Guess what - learning French conjugation is never going to be fun, nor is learning how to solve differential equations. Heck even learning real music theory is pretty boring.

Seriously? Speak for your self-- a lot of people do find mastering such knowledge "fun", including me.

Shaun, UK
May 20, 2013, 08:18 AM

Sad person. Your parents must be really proud of you.

sulpfiction
May 20, 2013, 08:19 AM
It would have been so nice to carry just an iPad in my backpack instead of 20 lbs of books on my 45 min bus/trolley commute to HS.

Glideslope
May 20, 2013, 08:23 AM

Don't wager any $ on it. :apple:

UKBeast
May 20, 2013, 09:46 AM
I think you misunderstood me. The more educated and worldly these children become, the less likely they are to succumb to unhelpful ideology. The image you paint of Turkey might be the norm in wealthy cities, but its not like that in regional and in particular eastern Turkey.

Well it is not an image i painted ,but the reality i have been on for many years. Yes there are poor cities and poor families but the portrey is not as serious as you painted. It is not reflecting the generality of population.

Greg.
May 20, 2013, 09:49 AM
bit insulting

He might have meant it was a big sales deal for Apple. After all 10.6 million tablets is a very large sale to one-customer.

lucas107
May 20, 2013, 09:52 AM

please enlighten me

bingeciren
May 20, 2013, 11:10 AM
On the other hand, 80% of Turkish kids, don't make it to high school and they work as plain field workers next to their parents and the only thing they know is to pray to their God.

i am wondering how this will end up to?

Really?

bingeciren
May 20, 2013, 11:51 AM
Well, Erdogan is in search of tablets to use in the Turkish schools.

On one hand he is seeking for 10.5 millions tablets (NOT iPads) as he has a budget of 5 million euros for this purchase///

On the other hand, 80% of Turkish kids, don't make it to high school and they work as plain field workers next to their parents and the only thing they know is to pray to their God.

i am wondering how this will end up to?

What part of the world are you from? Have you ever been to Turkey or even came near to Europe?

Tiger8
May 20, 2013, 12:07 PM
Ugh, can't stand him.

PrayForDeath
May 20, 2013, 12:56 PM

If they were smart, they wouldn't care about yearly refreshes.

cclloyd
May 20, 2013, 01:02 PM
big deal

Big enough deal where if you bought 10.6 million iPads, you might have Apple and the police questioning what you're doing.

Mystic386
May 20, 2013, 02:44 PM

a/ If this is trolling - you got a little response but not heaps. You need to try harder.

b/ if this is comedy - stick with your day job.

c/ Clearly your "try-hard" app is working. :cool:

I could write more on Turkey but lets not get into name calling. Thanks for the post.

Ice-Cube
May 20, 2013, 03:04 PM
The kids get better learning tools and Apple gets them hooked onto the eco system when they are young. Win-Win.

firestarter
May 20, 2013, 03:31 PM

Turkey is very proud of their secular constitution.

The US could learn a thing or two. As could you...

toughboy
May 20, 2013, 08:02 PM
No, Israel has the fastest growling economy in the region. With 5-6% growth in a year, Israel's economic growth considered as an economic boom.

LOL :D and how many people live in Israel? 7 million? 8?? Just Istanbul is double that.. Israel has a workforce about 2-3 million people, even if they grew 10% per year, it wouldnt have much effect in the region.

Additionally, if you take away military and defense equipment production, whats left in Israel economy?? Services.. ;)

10 million tablets is a HUGE purchase for any brand whatsoever. Plus, imagine 10 million kids growing with Apple addiction, its more about future-proofing a market really..

charlituna
May 20, 2013, 09:34 PM

One major issues is upport. Both in terms of apps and systems for making apps and books and such and actual tech support. iOS lack of malware, the developer program,possibility of stores coming to the country. These things could tip the scale to Apple rather hard and fast.

----------

Most kids don't need the latest and greatest for school purposes.

Then again, perhaps that is the intention but they are deciding now because that's basically the preorder stock for a launch. Apple would need to know well in advance of this purchase so they can ramp up production to cover it

----------

If Apple intended to 'fix' the user issue they could have done it ages ago. That they haven't seems like a clear sign they don't view these as multiuser devices no matter how the users are using them.

----------

Why do people think that if a school district is going to spend millions of dollars on tablet, that they're going to end up with anything other than a bunch of scuffed up electronic doo-dads by the end of year one?

Something tells me that you haven't spent any serious time researching the issue

Smartass
May 21, 2013, 03:38 AM
Turkey is very proud of their secular constitution.

The US could learn a thing or two. As could you...

For the last couple of years turkey's been a secular state only on a paper;)

toughboy
May 21, 2013, 04:55 AM
For the last couple of years turkey's been a secular state only on a paper;)

Turkey is one of the few secular countries in the world. Looking at your previous comments, you obviously have no insight regarding Turkey or Europe, so meh.. Wont bother going on and on.. :cool:

Moshe1010
May 21, 2013, 06:02 AM
LOL :D and how many people live in Israel? 7 million? 8?? Just Istanbul is double that.. Israel has a workforce about 2-3 million people, even if they grew 10% per year, it wouldnt have much effect in the region.

Additionally, if you take away military and defense equipment production, whats left in Israel economy?? Services.. ;)

10 million tablets is a HUGE purchase for any brand whatsoever. Plus, imagine 10 million kids growing with Apple addiction, its more about future-proofing a market really..
It doesn't matter how many people are in the country. Economic growth is based on % from GDP. Turkey has about 1.5-2% a year, Israel has about 5-6% a year, so Israel has a faster growing economy than Turkey. Israel's economy is based on product export, which takes about 40% of its GDP.

urbanlung
May 21, 2013, 05:44 PM
I thought Apples were a more suitable stuffing for pork, Turkey probably needs some sage and onion.

steve09090
May 21, 2013, 11:52 PM
Sure, one of the richest companies on the planet will make a $quizzilion out of this, but Apple have genuinely been about improvement over the years, and have focused on education continually.

Mr Jobs has made it clear that if they concentrate on the things that matter, the rest will take care of itself. They've focused on making a phenomenal ecosystem for learning, and this is the result. It's the way it's brought education together with technology that has brought this about.

...or they could opt for droid and end up with a completely 'fragmented' education system.

Turkey is one of the few secular countries in the world. Looking at your previous comments, you obviously have no insight regarding Turkey or Europe, so meh.. Wont bother going on and on.. :cool:

Completely agree with you, but you're feeding the trolls...

topper24hours
May 22, 2013, 02:50 AM

Wow, racist much?

anomie
Jun 3, 2013, 09:11 AM
please enlighten me

First, read the first part of ny post. Android hardware is worth close to nothing after a year.

Second, quality, usability for non-nerds and appearance. Everything about android is simply ugly. Their font is causing eye cancer.

lucas107
Jun 3, 2013, 09:49 AM
First, read the first part of ny post. Android hardware is worth close to nothing after a year.

Second, quality, usability for non-nerds and appearance. Everything about android is simply ugly. Their font is causing eye cancer.

First off most education systems cut costs by keeping things for a while and dont buy new stuff the day it comes out. 10 years from now that ipad will be worthless also. Your quality argument comes down to the appearance of higher quality and preference of build materials when one really isnt much better then the other. I can tell you havnt used an android tablet in many years since now they are in no way harder to use then and ipad and in many ways are easier to navigate to many things. Also android has multi user support so unless its a 1-1 tablet student ratio android is better in that regards. Also android options are much cheaper leaving money over for other programs like sports/clubs/tutoring/lower student to teacher ratio/healthier food choices and many others all of which will help educate children more then a tablet.