Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solinent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
I'm fairly new to itunes and ipod (my beatuiful nano)

And I was just wondering this: When i Sync, would it transfer songs from the ipod to the library, or is it just the other way around.

solinent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
ok nvm I figured it deletes the songs.

I found a workaround by myself (lol i just went into the e:/ drive and searched for all files and folders with an extension, and there they were!)

solinent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
Ok, just wanted to know if getting the mp3 and m4a songs from my ipod is legal. Basically, there is no security override, only I have to show hidden files, then go into the ipod drive and take the m4a and mp3 files. (It's my own ipod, I wanted the songs all in one place though.)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
solinent said:
Ok, just wanted to know if getting the mp3 and m4a songs from my ipod is legal. Basically, there is no security override, only I have to show hidden files, then go into the ipod drive and take the m4a and mp3 files. (It's my own ipod, I wanted the songs all in one place though.)

If you own access to whatever the songs came from -- i.e. CDs, legal downloads from the web, etc, it's legal. If you don't have those rights to the files, then no. I.E. if you bought my iPod from me and I forgot to erase it, then no. But if you're just trying to consolidate songs between two computers you own, and use your iPod as the transferring device, sure, why not? ;)

solinent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
OK thanks lol. Just wondering because iTunes deletes the ones on ipod when you sync.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
solinent said:
OK thanks lol. Just wondering because iTunes deletes the ones on ipod when you sync.

There are two ways to set it up -- you can set it up to automatically manage the iPod, so that only one computer "owns" the content on it. That way, if you delete a song on that computer because you don't want it anymore, then it deletes the song on the iPod too. The other way is to manually manage, which means that you have to put songs on the iPod manually and take them off manually. More than one computer can put songs on the iPod, and iTunes doesn't delete anything automatically. Sounds like the latter case would be better for you. You get the option when you first plug in the iPod, or else when you select the iPod preferences in iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.