Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Harry4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2013
First of all I'm new here, so bear with me if this has been asked, but I couldn't find any info about it through google searches.

So I'm about to take the plunge and order a new Apple TV, the only thing I'm iffy about is the future of iTunes.

Before I start buying hundreds of my favorite movies/shows in 1080p from iTunes I want to be assured that when the next best thing comes along.. which is already here pretty much and is called 4k tv (a lot of films are being filmed in this now) will Apple/iTunes be offering free upgrades of my 1080p collection? I mean it's inevitable that the 1080p will become obsolete in the years to come, probably sooner than later. What's your take on this do you have any info?

Thanks a million if you reply.:)

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Downloading 4k content through iTunes is many years away. I wouldn't get too worried about it now.

Side note- I highly doubt that Apple will off free 'upgrades' from 1080 to 4k.

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
Downloading 4k content through iTunes is many years away. I wouldn't get too worried about it now.

this as well, first 4K tvs have to become more standard, which is still years away. second older movies would have to be remastered to be sold in 4K, which would take many years, so by the time you get a 4K tv and apple decides to sell 4K content, you're selection would only be the newer stuff

personally for my family DVD collection form 10 years ago, we bought BR of anything going forward, and bought blu rays of some of the more action and in depth movies. not going to spend the money to get happy gilmore from dvd to BR etc.

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
...4k tv...will Apple/iTunes be offering free upgrades of my 1080p collection? I mean it's inevitable that the 1080p will become obsolete in the years to come, probably sooner than later.
I'm sure they will, just like you could trade in all your old VHS tapes for free DVDs and your DVDs for free Bluerays, when HD came along. ;)

That said, Apple allows us to upgrade our 720p videos to 1080p, which is surprising. I doubt that the studios will forgo this opportunity to sell us the same movies again, though.

Lumpy05

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2010
Bloomington, IN
I would say we are some long time away (greater than 5 years) from 4k movie downloads being available on iTunes. One important fact to note is that a 4k movie is well over 100GB that's a LARGE file :eek:

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Yea we are a long time away from 4K iTunes content - heck I'd say a few years away from BluRay having 4K content - they need to develop a new BR standard for that to happen.

This is something I wouldn't worry about - I think you'll have better odds at free upgrades with iTunes - with physical formats we had no chance of free upgrades so at least there is hope with digital.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I guess they're not worth buying then.

Best logic to use to keep money in your pockets.

I own a "few" movies, literally, count with 2 hands.

Am more of the rent-as-I-go type as I rarely re-watch a movie. The few that I do own, they are era-memorables.

caligomez

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
San Juan, PR
Best logic to use to keep money in your pockets.

I own a "few" movies, literally, count with 2 hands.

Am more of the rent-as-I-go type as I rarely re-watch a movie. The few that I do own, they are era-memorables.

This..

I had to re-purchase the Star Wars movies, the Lord of the Ring Movies, and a couple more when they came out on BluRay.. I'm sure you have select favorites that are just "must own". As far as the rest, I just rent, and maybe catch few others on Netflix, HBO GO, etc..

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
This..

I had to re-purchase the Star Wars movies, the Lord of the Ring Movies, and a couple more when they came out on BluRay.. I'm sure you have select favorites that are just "must own". As far as the rest, I just rent, and maybe catch few others on Netflix, HBO GO, etc..

this, and star wars and lotr extended both were released much later than the introduction of blu ray, so waiting would have taken forever

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Biggest Con job in the world at the moment is sellers charging extra for HD content. it really should be provided as a single item (Both SD and HD) for a single charge.

Its why i still go out of my way to purchase blu-rays that also have a DvD and iTunes copy in the box, gives me all the extras + the superior Blu ray quality and the ability to watch digitally anyway.

Also, iTunes 1080p is not the same as BluRay 1080p, its far more compressed and artificiality... If it was true 1080p bluray quality we would be seeing 10 and 20GB downloads for movies, not 2 and 3GB

Bottom line, they are always going to charge you for new products, so when 4K does roll out as standard, expect all the (whatever they call bluray/Dvd that runs 4k) to be re-releases of movies out now, Up-scaled to 4k and expect apple to charge you again for the 4K version of things you already paid for on iTunes.

Welcome to Consumerism

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Biggest Con job in the world at the moment is sellers charging extra for HD content. it really should be provided as a single item (Both SD and HD) for a single charge.

Its why i still go out of my way to purchase blu-rays that also have a DvD and iTunes copy in the box, gives me all the extras + the superior Blu ray quality and the ability to watch digitally anyway.

Also, iTunes 1080p is not the same as BluRay 1080p, its far more compressed and artificiality... If it was true 1080p bluray quality we would be seeing 10 and 20GB downloads for movies, not 2 and 3GB

Bottom line, they are always going to charge you for new products, so when 4K does roll out as standard, expect all the (whatever they call bluray/Dvd that runs 4k) to be re-releases of movies out now, Up-scaled to 4k and expect apple to charge you again for the 4K version of things you already paid for on iTunes.

Welcome to Consumerism
That would only make sense if we were only buying a license to view the 'content'... Rather than ownership of the content/media. ;-)

/sarcasm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.