Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkelly888

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
pluto
sorry if this is off topic but this seem to be the best place to post this.
i am the type of person who gets really impatient at haveing to wait a long time to get things (ie: an ipod), so i was wondering if anyone had some tips for a 15 year old to get money rather quickly legally without having to get a job.

khisayruou

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2004
1. Sell all YOUR stuff.
2. Beg.
3. Beg some more.
4. Continue begging.
5. Skip the money part and just ask Santa nicely.
6. Just suck it up and get a job.

chopsuey158

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2004
USA
I babysit. It gets kind of boring, and it can take up your friday and saturday nights, but it is good money. I've made up to 15 bucks an hour babysitting (which isn't that good for you professionals, but for a 15 year old, that's good). Poker is also a decent source of income if you're good at it. I play with friends sometimes and make ~25 bucks over the course of 2-3 hours, plus it's fun. Just be careful not to lose money...

jkelly888

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
pluto
i don't have a job because i have no time because of school and like i said, i'm pretty impatient so i would go insane waiting for christmas

khisayruou

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2004
Trust me, you have a ton of time for a job and school, especially since your
only 15, whats that...freshman in high school. Just wait till you get to college, studying three times the amount and having to get a job just to pay off the ludicrous tuition and books.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
khisayruou said:
Trust me, you have a ton of time for a job and school, especially since your
only 15, whats that...freshman in high school. Just wait till you get to college, studying three times the amount and having to get a job just to pay off the ludicrous tuition and books.
I don't think that I particularly like the vibe I get from your post and I don't think that I would word things the way you did.

That said, to the OP; you will always feel like your life is jam-packed and 'too busy.' One thing I have figured out is that if you really want something or really want to do something, you will-- in fact you must and will figure out a way to squeeze it in.

Example? I really wanted to switch to Macs. My parents are anti-Apple. I also could not justify asking them to buy me a machine when my Windows box, though slow and virus-ridden still ran IE and Word somewhat competently. So I saved up slowly but surely-- my parents don't want me to work during the school year (concentrate on your studies, blah blah blah) so I worked a good chunk over summer of 2004 and saved up and bought a 12" PB.

So if you truly want that iPod, then make it real.

coreybox

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2005
Besides asking your parents....i don't think there is a good way to earn money giving something up (your stuff to eBay or your time for a job). But i agree with khisayruou that unless your parents wouldn't let you (which might be understandable if they do not want to taxi you around to your job, or maybe they want you to focus on your school work) you do have enough time to get a part time job, and whether you make much or not, its more than you would have earned not working.

Anyways, waiting a little while won't hurt. it will give you some time to think how bad you really want/need an ipod, even though that sounds silly...there are lots of things i have bought that i wish now i didnt. You can probably look around your room and think about how much more you would enjoy the cash you spent on a certain object(s) in you wallet more than the actually object. Also when you finally get your ipod, you'll enjoy it that much more knowing that it was your efforts that made it a reality.

best of luck

jkelly888

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
pluto
the last time that i wanted something this bad was last year with the nintendo DS and i definatly don't regret that but i think i will sell a bunch of my old stuff.

amholl

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2004
Boston
Babysitting is good money. Also, ask ur parent if u can do their laundry for 1 dollar a load. Its not that hard and they will appriciate it. Also, shoveling snow for old people is really good if u live in a place where it snows. Jus save lunch money, and also, sell extra stuff on ebay. Another good thing is import all ur cds onto iTunes, cus ull need 2 anyway and sell the original cds on ebay or back 2 ur local record store. Good luck!

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
jkelly888 said:
i am the type of person who gets really impatient at haveing to wait a long time to get things (ie: an ipod)
Thinking out of the box here a bit, learning a patience may be something that may be worth it to you in the long run.

Also, if it means this much to you, then I would suggest first looking at ways to save money. For example:
- Make your own lunch vice buying.
- Stop spending money on things that you normally purchase. Especially those repeated purchase type items.
- Walk instead of taking the bus.

Of course, you can always get a job. Be creative. Think of a fun way to make some $ on the side.

Sushi

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
coreybox said:
Anyways, waiting a little while won't hurt. it will give you some time to think how bad you really want/need an ipod, even though that sounds silly...there are lots of things i have bought that i wish now i didnt. You can probably look around your room and think about how much more you would enjoy the cash you spent on a certain object(s) in you wallet more than the actually object. Also when you finally get your ipod, you'll enjoy it that much more knowing that it was your efforts that made it a reality.
Wise words indeed.

Sushi

deanwaterman

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2005
Minneapolis, Minnesota
jkelly888 said:
i don't have a job because i have no time because of school and like i said, i'm pretty impatient so i would go insane waiting for christmas

You know, you, unwittingly, have helped identify the problem with most teenageers and people in America in general. They don't want to wait. They want immediate gratification now without the pain. This is why so many people go in to deep debt with credit cards and other loans to get what they want now rather than wait until they have the cash to do it.

If I was your Father, I would tell you kindly to wait until either Christmas (if I was inclined to spend $400) or get a part-time job and MAKE a way to get the money. Do you realize how much it really costs to get the iPod you want?

Say you wanted the 30G for $299.00 You get a job for $8.00 p/hour, work 20 hours a week and gross $160.00 a week and bring home $120 after taxes. In 3 weeks you get the iPod you want and best of all the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself.

The best satisfaction in life comes from knowing that you worked to achieve what you got rather than relying on someone else to do it for you.

So good luck! Go find a job and see what else you can buy with all the money you will earn.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
The best thing to remember is that you don't NEED a video iPod.

Hell, you can get a refurb or used 3G iPod for $150-ish, right? I know I bought a 3G the other day for $100, mind you I had to put in a new battery but then overall it came out to, what, $135? That's a damn good deal for a 30GB iPod, be it color screen or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.