PDA

View Full Version : Wifi hangs/disconnects randomly...

DramaLLama
May 20, 2013, 05:09 PM
I've researched and apparently this is a very common issue among many versions of OS X and I cannot for the life of me find a solution.

My wifi will hang and disconnect at seemingly random intervals, usually no longer than an hour or so apart until I turn off/turn on the wifi to reconnect to my network, or ANY other wifi network that I use... have you guys been having this problem and is there a working, permanent solution out there?

Krazy Bill
May 20, 2013, 05:13 PM
I've researched and apparently this is a very common issue among many versions of OS X and I cannot for the life of me find a solution.

My wifi will hang and disconnect at seemingly random intervals, usually no longer than an hour or so apart until I turn off/turn on the wifi to reconnect to my network, or ANY other wifi network that I use... have you guys been having this problem and is there a working, permanent solution out there?I have no advice. My Wi-Fi won't cut out but if I change hotspots, then go to office or home I need to toggle it off/on before it works again.

This has been going on since my Lion days... never an issue with Snow Leopard. Strangely enough, Windows XP, 7 and Win8 never have a wi-fi problem be it in boot camp or running virtually. :(

satcomer
May 20, 2013, 07:35 PM
Go into your router and change the channel of the wireless. OS X is just more sensitive to wireless cross talk.

To check download the free iStumbler Beta (http://istumbler.net/beta/) and see what I mean (it's just a wireless scanner).

DramaLLama
May 23, 2013, 02:09 PM
Bump... changing channels didn't work, lowering MTU didn't work, making a new network location didn't work...

satcomer
May 23, 2013, 07:08 PM
Bump... changing channels didn't work, lowering MTU didn't work, making a new network location didn't work...

If you have a Mac Book or Mac book Pro or a Mac Book Air then try another wireless point. Then you can see if it is your Mac or the router.

Also try making a test user account and see how that connects.

DianeK
Jun 6, 2013, 09:57 AM
Same problem here since upgrading to ML and tried same things you did with no resolution. :(
Diane

DramaLLama
Jun 6, 2013, 10:06 AM
Same problem here since upgrading to ML and tried same things you did with no resolution. :(
DianeI have tried EVERYTHING I could find on this subject.. I finally decided to re-format my MBP and start over again with a clean slate of ML.

...since doing so after my last post in this thread, everything is working without any trouble.

DianeK
Jun 6, 2013, 10:43 AM
Thanks for posting back. When it comes to OS, now that Jobs is gone, Apple is no better and perhaps even worse than Microsoft. Never thought I would ever utter those words.