Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
Use this thread to debate which licensing scheme arn should use for the Mac Guides! My pick is the GNU Documentation License for Intercopyability from/to the Wikimedia projects. It would be very valuable to both Wikimedia and the Macrumors Guides if we could build on each other... there WILL be overlap betwwen the two (see my sig for proof).

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
If I'm reading the documentation list on the GNU site correctly, then any of the Creative Commons licenses could be incompatible with the GNU Free Documentation License.

Seeing as how Wikipedia use the GNU FDL, I think it whould be most practical to go with that one.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
dubbz said:
If I'm reading the documentation list on the GNU site correctly, then any of the Creative Commons licenses could be incompatible with the GNU Free Documentation License.

Seeing as how Wikipedia use the GNU FDL, I think it whould be most practical to go with that one.

yep... I think we'll go with the GNU one

arn

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
A dual license is a valid option too, and would avoid a lot of trouble with borrowing information between projects.

For example, for the garbage I pour into Wikipedia from time to time:
I agree to multi-license my text contributions, unless otherwise stated, under the GFDL and the Creative Commons licenses by-sa v1.0, by v2.0, by-nd v2.0, by-nc v2.0, by-nc-nd v2.0, by-nc-sa v2.0, and by-sa v2.0. Please be aware that other contributors might not do the same, so if you want to use my contributions under alternate licensing, please check the CC dual-license and Multi-licensing guides.
Could something like that be used site-wide here?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
iMeowbot said:
A dual license is a valid option too, and would avoid a lot of trouble with borrowing information between projects.

For example, for the garbage I pour into Wikipedia from time to time:

Could something like that be used site-wide here?

Hmm...

you have any thoughts on the disadvantages of various licenses?

I don't mind people creating derivative works.

arn

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
The most onerous part of GFDL is the part about listing credits, and the GFDL itself is supposed to be included in each text :p (even Wikipedia doesn't technically comply with that part, it's a link) Technically, articles copied here from Wikimedia projects are in violation of that unless the list of contributors is grabbed from their edit history and added here too (perhaps as a comment). In practice, Wikimedia are happy with a link back to them and the original article, but it's understood that they're playing loose with their own license terms by doing that (this business where they have trouble following the terms of their own license is the main reason there are sometimes regrets about choosing it). Another problem with GFDL material is that it can't be incorporated into CC works unless all authors involved in that part of the work also agree to a CC-compatible license (which is why I do that). At this writing, the iBook article at guides.macrumors.com is violating that license (and I'll fix that, since I'm bringing it up); it's a pain.

The CC licenses are a bit less weird. For example, CC Attribution is short and simple; only requires noting what license and authors are involved, with no other restrictions. It's a low-hassle license all around, pretty much the same as the MIT or new-style BSD. The one major exception is GFDL projects; they can be wary of mixing even if in practice things will be hunky dory.

That's where the multiple licenses come in handy. Each other project can pick the "open" license that's compatible with what it is doing, the authors are entitled to credit under any of the options (and each project can decide how much red tape it wants to handle).

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
iMeowbot said:
Another problem with GFDL material is that it can't be incorporated into CC works unless all authors involved in that part of the work also agree to a CC-compatible license (which is why I do that). At this writing, the iBook article at guides.macrumors.com is violating that license (and I'll fix that, since I'm bringing it up); it's a pain.

Thanks... I saw the links. Does that cover it for those pages?

Note, your usergroup got upgraded...

arn

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Also, so you're suggesting that we can use the CreativeCommons for most articles but the GPL when needed for articles which use GPL content?

arn

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
arn said:
Also, so you're suggesting that we can use the CreativeCommons for most articles but the GPL when needed for articles which use GPL content?

arn
Yes, terms like "Unless otherwise indicated, all text is available under the terms of $WHATEVER_LICENSE." are fine. Just as long as we're good about crediting leeched material, people who want to reuse will know where they stand. There is already a slew of fair-use images in there, so there's no point in trying to be purist about One True License.

Thanks for the note about the status flag; I was afraid I broke something again :D

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
iMeowbot said:
Yes, terms like "Unless otherwise indicated, all text is available under the terms of $WHATEVER_LICENSE." are fine. Just as long as we're good about crediting leeched material, people who want to reuse will know where they stand. There is already a slew of fair-use images in there, so there's no point in trying to be purist about One True License.

Thanks for the note about the status flag; I was afraid I broke something again :D

Thoughts about this license?

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/

I was most comfortable with that one, but is more restricting than the one you pointed out.

arn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.