Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the best category setup.

I think categories like

Apple Hardware
Apple Software

make sense - considering how many products we have.

I think perhaps a few more Goal oriented categories might make sense.

Beginners Guides
How To's (?)
PC to Mac Switcher Tips

obviously articles could fall in multiple categories.

I do think that the product articles should delve more into the actual product use. For example, I think iPod 5G should have links to how-to articles on moving video to your iPod. Specific troubleshooting and tutorials links from products would wrap things up nicely.

thoughts?

arn

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
As for new categories, I think the "Howto" one is a given. We seem to be getting a few of those already (unless some of them can be classified as Beginners Guides? :confused: )

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
dubbz said:
As for new categories, I think the "Howto" one is a given. We seem to be getting a few of those already (unless some of them can be classified as Beginners Guides? :confused: )

I guess "How To" is the literal kind of article it is.
The Beginners guide is more subject matter.

There could be both of course. Just clutters up the front page :)

arn

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I'd put articles into such categories as:
Installing and Maintaining OS X
iTunes and iPods
Internet and Networking
Sound and Video
etc, etc.

Howto articles will be mixed in with non-howto articles, but at least topics are kept together.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
dubbz said:
^^^

That doesn't sound too bad... Might be worth to experiment a bit.

it's a bit abstract. Think people will start exploring based on those topics?

arn

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
arn said:

arn

That might be true.

They whould make good sub-categories, if such things were possible. Edit: Actually, it is.

Stilll, I think having some way to see a list of all, say, audio or internet related articles whould be a good idea. But I guess that could be though without going completely crazy with the number of categories.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
arn said:

arn
I think "How to" is a much more abstract category.
Example:
If I want to learn how to reset my iPod, do I go to the how to's? Or the Beginners Guides? But I use a PC, maybe I check the PC to Mac Switcher Guide?
Ok, so the last one is a stretch, but don't underestimate the stupidity of people. It would be better if they could just go to iTunes and iPods. I think more people will be able find the info they need.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
grapes911 said:
Example:
If I want to learn how to reset my iPod, do I go to the how to's? Or the Beginners Guides? But I use a PC, maybe I check the PC to Mac Switcher Guide?
Ok, so the last one is a stretch, but don't underestimate the stupidity of people. It would be better if they could just go to iTunes and iPods. I think more people will be able find the info they need.

Ya, no HowTo is a terrible category... :)

I'm open... we can try it.

arn

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Right now the front page posts all existing categories. Right now, not in a pretty sub-category kinda way.

arn

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
grapes911 said:
Example:
Maybe if the search forums field was more prominent (flashing lights :rolleyes: , I don't know) people might be more likely to actually do a search for their question rather than stepping through each category to try and find it.

ender78

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Apple Retail Stores [this would be usefull for indexing the Apple stores out there.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I don't know about you, but the Mac Guides forum should definitely be put right near the "Mac Basics" and "Buying Tips and Discussion" forum. There should be progression from one stage to the next, say "Buying Tips" first, "Mac Basics" is second, and "Mac Guides" is third. The Marketplace can be fourth on the list for those people who just joined the Mac world and hate it. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.