Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
My brother is a student at a local college and was considering signing up as a student developer so he can get the hardware discount. However he is not taking any programming classes and it says that apple requests that you send them a student ID and a schedule with some programming classes on it. Also his student ID is just a piece of cardboard with his student ID number on it, it is a non-picture ID(cheap community college, what do you expect).

"In addition, we request that students fax a copy of student identification AND proof of current class registration in developer-related courses. Apple reserves the right to refuse access to this offer by non-students and/or non-developers. "

For those of you who have used this, how strictly do they enforce this?? Did you have to send or fax them anything?

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Although I haven't done it, by seeing what others have said here and at other boards, they do enforce this. You have to send in a fax to Apple before you can get the membership.

Just tell your brother to either join a programming class if he's so eager to get the discount (which, by the way, you can only use on one purchase, EVER) or just settle with the education discount, which is great as is.

irmongoose

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I figured they'd probably enforce it. Its a pretty hefty discount even with the cost of membership its much cheaper than the EDU discount. I only asked because i remember someone saying that they didnt have to send in anything.

Yeah i know you can only use this discount once per lifetime. He figured now is a good time. Your only young once right, lol.

He could sign up for a programming class but i doubt he'd go through the trouble of doing that to get the discount. He's not quite that persistent(read lazy:rolleyes: ).

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Re: Bought this week with NO schedule

Originally posted by dabirdwell
Only had to sign up for the membership. Apple didn't even call me about it.

Did your order ship yet or is it still under review??

What did you put down as your major when you signed up for the membership?

Wano

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2002
Yeah, I think they ask you to send them a copy of your schedule and id, then if you quailfy you get the discount. I am still confused about the discount though, so I may not be right. I heard though that some people weren't taking any developer classes and still got the discount.

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Originally posted by Wano
I heard though that some people weren't taking any developer classes and still got the discount.

Thats the problem, everyone has heard of people not being developers and still getting the discount but these people are no where to be found,lol. I want to hear from one of them.:D

Humsai

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2002
I signed up for the developers program on the 10th and placed my order soon afterwards. It took a few days for review and now it's being assembled. I never had to send them my ID or my schedule. I'm assuming they might've contacted my school, but it was very convenient for me not to have to send them anything. I am however taking a developer course next semester but I'm a Film major.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.