Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
Well, it is official now. Xbox One will be using an AMD x86 based processor rather than a PowerPC based processor.

I don't know but it feels like back in the day, when Apple pulled the plug for PowerPC. Xbox 360 Games will not be compatible, not even the Arcade Games, and slowly the app dev for xbox 360 will disappear...

As a 360 and PowerPC owner, it feels like back in '06. Oh well...

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Same thing for PS4

I'm happy the Wii U has backwards compatibility as I never owned a Wii and now I have access to both libraries on one system - quite nice

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
Boring reveal. We knew everything before the reveal and the design itself is F'Ugly...
I agree with you about the design, not a fan, however, I reserve the right to retract that statement if it grows on me, I have a horrible habit of hating how things look until I get used to them.

Saying that, the Xbox One really does look like two old VCR players glued together. I don't mind that it is bulky though, one of the reasons that I love the original PS3 is because it was a beast, but this new Xbox looks... odd.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
At least Microsoft is being up front about it, unlike Apple who goes through the effort to develop emulation tech, and then pulls it because "why not".

TorCoolguy

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
I don't really think that PowerPC -> Intel switch on a console means as much as Apple's one. For one, you don't have as much incompatibility than with desktops. Sure games are incompatible, but usually there are some compatibility issues even without an architecture change because consoles are much more specialized and optimized than computers (Xbox -> Xbox 360). And secondly, you don't really get the PowerPC "feel" from a console, they are all too abstracted and glossed over.

Unrelated, that design looks like a tape deck from the 1970's painted glossy black entirely except for the CD drive, and with Xbox 360 stickers on the front.

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
Sony didn't even show off the console, which in itself was a massive bummer, and still trumped today's show.

chilly willy

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Charlotte, NC
I'm underwhelmed and annoyed by lack of backwards compatibility, but will wait for E3 to judge games to be offered.

As for looks, my Intellivision looked (looks) more modern....

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
You mean like what happened with SNES, Genesis, N64, Saturn, Dreamcast etc? No one will care as all the popular games will be ported at some point again anyway and t3h graphix and all.

And lesson is, buy games on PC not console and play for a long time.

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
No, it's not.

Apple had Rosetta to fall back on for several years of flawless backwards compatibility. Microsoft either refuses to license such technology, or has no interest in providing backwards compatibility.

For this reason, I could care less about the new consoles.

Wake me up when the pirates figure out a boot loader that can run either the Xbox One or PS4 OS on commodity PC hardware. Then I might be interested in exploring whatever "exclusives" they happen to regurgitate for either platform (if you can even call it that anymore, it's just rehashed x86 crap).

-SC

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Boring reveal. We knew everything before the reveal and the design itself is F'Ugly...

Statements like this always make me laugh. Might just be me, but design is always last on the list. I rarely spend afternoons sitting and looking at my tech products. I tend to use them.

For something that's going to do nothing but sit under your TV and have discs slammed into it, the Xbox One looks fine in my opinion.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Statements like this always make me laugh. Might just be me, but design is always last on the list. I rarely spend afternoons sitting and looking at my tech products. I tend to use them.

For something that's going to do nothing but sit under your TV and have discs slammed into it, the Xbox One looks fine in my opinion.

Yes it does look 'fine' as in adequate..... and agreed a box is a box, but it still looks like any old cable box and not a $500 hot piece of radical gaming tech ;) I just want more when I'm expected to blow $500+ on a new piece of hardware.

They could have at least made it available in a pink sparkly diamonte colour :p Bejazzled to the hilt !! (My big fat gypsy xbox style).....

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Could you not just keep your xbox 360 ....

TBH I never expected Sony or microsoft to offer BC on either new console.
As you said BC doesn't matter to you. I kinda need it. I'm already running out of HDMI ports on my reciever and space under my TV, and I don't want more controllers cluttering up. If I could buy a next gen system and do away with my old one (console, 4 controllers, whatever accessories) then that's great.

It's funny how the Wii U is doing the best in this field, even with Nintendo's funky account system.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
and yet no-one is buying the damn thing ;):p

Well that's just lack of new content. I boxed up my Wii once I transferred it all over to my Wii U. With no more HDMI inputs I'm going to hope that the PS4 BC streaming system works well enough!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Well that's just lack of new content. I boxed up my Wii once I transferred it all over to my Wii U. With no more HDMI inputs I'm going to hope that the PS4 BC streaming system works well enough!

You have fast broadband so in theory it should :)

I am skeptical it would work here given our broadband connection. I have three PS3's. If I get PS4 (sorry when I get a PS4) i'll likely sell / trade in a couple of them and keep the ps3 for the bedroom for my PSN games and retail discs.

Speaking of Nintendo... Big week. I got three new released Wii U titles this week :eek: Resident Evil, Lego Batman 2 & Sniper Elite V2 all winging their way to me from amazon... So finally something other than the excellent Rayman Legends challenges and Lego City to keep me busy...

I'm hoping E3 shows off some killer forthcoming titles for all the three new systems tbh though. You know me by now; I usually have to the latest machine on launch day (and like pokemon have to collect them all) but at the moment I see no compelling reason to choose one over the other, so would go with PS4 simply because for me a games console biggest priority has to be games.

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
Could you not just keep your xbox 360 ....
I'll certainly hold on to it. It's more the lack of space and the major pain in the ass it causes.

I can't tell you how pleased I was that the Wii U simply replaced my Wii in the TV stand.

----------

...I see no compelling reason to choose one over the other, so would go with PS4 simply because for me a games console biggest priority has to be games.
I really hope my new Xbox One branded cable box plays games...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KbWgUO-Rqcw

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed

It's the size of the thing, do you really have space for that thing plus that huge kinect box? I don't have that type of space in my living room and theres no way my girlfriend is letting that thing into our bedroom.

I'm sure the Xbox One will have a power brick :eek:

Bless

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.