PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of New iPod

GeorgeBell
Oct 30, 2005, 09:22 PM
Hot off the assembly line:

The xPod

Lacero
Oct 30, 2005, 09:24 PM
The Xwheel looks like it's going to hurt to use. The green color reminds me of limewire, not a good thing when it comes to music. :p

munkle
Oct 30, 2005, 09:24 PM
Is this the one which only plays .wma files and comes with pre-installed viruses...?

khisayruou
Oct 30, 2005, 09:45 PM
thanks, you just blinded me! :eek:

Whyren
Oct 30, 2005, 09:48 PM
The Xwheel looks like it's going to hurt to use. The green color reminds me of limewire, not a good thing when it comes to music. :p

For me the X has always made me think "Come and fill Microsoft's pockets by blindly purchasing our products, and we'll devour your soul! Mwa-ha-ha-ha!"

But that's just me.

alexstein
Oct 30, 2005, 09:53 PM
Is this the one which only plays .wma files and comes with pre-installed viruses...?

....hahaha that's funny. Even though it's an ipod it pass.

JDOG_
Oct 30, 2005, 10:17 PM
Hahah, nice work. I dig the green menus, just not for actual use.

Come on now folks, the XBOX ain't that bad. I'd go so far as to say that console gaming is one of the few things that M$ is doing half-right these days.

Sky Blue
Oct 31, 2005, 05:06 AM
Thats the ugliest thing i've ever seen.

Betateam
Oct 31, 2005, 10:55 AM
Microsoft should put together one. That would be way cool.
I bet if they put their minds too it they could invent one that would blow the ipod out of the water....we can only dream.
Neat concept.

Mike Teezie
Oct 31, 2005, 01:47 PM
Microsoft should put together one. That would be way cool.
I bet if they put their minds too it they could invent one that would blow the ipod out of the water....we can only dream.
Neat concept.

You.....can't......be serious?

zap2
Oct 31, 2005, 01:57 PM
I bet if they put their minds too it they could invent one that would blow the ipod out of the water
^ Thats why we dont do drugs!

WHAT??:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Betateam
Nov 2, 2005, 08:00 AM
You.....can't......be serious?

Sure I am. I love Windows. I didn't realize how good it was until I tried other operating systems.
On the subject of Microsoft hardware though. Their mice and great. First for optical technology. Their joysticks are top notch. Why whould they not be able to make a better ipod?

noaccess
Nov 2, 2005, 08:38 AM
No offense, but then... why did you register on a mac site :confused:?

Chundles
Nov 2, 2005, 08:48 AM
Sure I am. I love Windows. I didn't realize how good it was until I tried other operating systems.
On the subject of Microsoft hardware though. Their mice and great. First for optical technology. Their joysticks are top notch. Why whould they not be able to make a better ipod?

Oh you are a funny funny man, now, who's alias are you?

Betateam
Nov 2, 2005, 09:18 AM
No offense, but then... why did you register on a mac site :confused:?

I wanted to know about the new ipod. To each his own. I'm not trying to start a flame war at all. You like the Mac, great. Every thing has its pro's and cons.

But I do know their hardware is great. I know several Mac people that swear by the MS mice. They do have the money and the muscle to make a good MP3 player if they wanted to. It would be nice to see all predjuce aside.

I mean the MS vs. Apple is a battle that has no winner. So I don't want to fight. Especially here. There is no point.

Stampyhead
Nov 2, 2005, 10:04 AM
They do have the money and the muscle to make a good MP3 player if they wanted to. It would be nice to see all predjuce aside.
They just don't have the R&D power to come up with anything original.
Hey, we're all adults here (well, most of us). We can have a nice healthy debate without it turning into an argument, right?
So, what is it about Windows that you like better than OS X?

balamw
Nov 2, 2005, 10:50 AM
They do have the money and the muscle to make a good MP3 player if they wanted to. It would be nice to see all predjuce aside.
So does Sony, Philips, Toshiba ... and they all keep trying to take on the iPod and failing.

Why haven't any of them been successful in developing a true iPod killer?

I know what I think about it. What are your thoughts?

Personally I swear by Logitech for mice on every box I have. The one thing MS seems to have going for them today in hardware is the smartphone platform, and that seems to be where they are investing the most time and effort. WinCE is finally maturing into something useful. Having owned both a WinCE 1.0 H/PC and a Palm based Sony Clie, I can tell you which one was better. The Clie.

B

Betateam
Nov 2, 2005, 10:50 AM
Hey, we're all adults here (well, most of us). We can have a nice healthy debate without it turning into an argument, right?
So, what is it about Windows that you like better than OS X?

Yes. I would like to have an healthy discussion. No need for name calling or "Your stupid X is better than Y".

Well first I would say familiarity. When I've tried to do certain tasks, such as install a printer, it would take a few clicks in Windows, took me a while to figure out in OS X.

The file system seems easier to explore in Windows. I can easily find the files and documents I need.

There are tons more programs available for Windows. I like to do 3D animation. I have not seen a good program for the Apple platform. But just basic programs, you have many more options to choose from with Windows.
What applications does OS X have that is no available on the PC? I know a bunch of Adobe products used to be Mac only, but most of the big good programs are dual now. What MAJOR programs are exclusivly OS X?

I do like the OS X where the program is all self contained in one folder. No DLL's and other scattered mess around.

While Windows is no picnic, but driver and hardware support seems to work a lot better. They don't end of life stuff so quickly.

I'm sure I can think of more topics. Again most of these might be to my lack of knowledge about OS X. So if I'm wrong please enlighten me.

I'm actually seriously thinking about getting a MiniMac just to see if I like it.

balamw
Nov 2, 2005, 10:52 AM
Actually, IMHO Microsoft R is top notch. http://research.microsoft.com/. It's the D that is lacking. By the time a product is released it is so diluted from the original idea...

B

Mike Teezie
Nov 2, 2005, 11:02 AM
Have you ever plugged a camera into a Windows machine for the first time, and had included-in-the-operating-system software recognize it immediately?

Or made a song with software that came with Windows?

Or cut a movie, then burned it to a DVD?

All without having to install any drivers or 3rd party software?

Yes, I'm talking about the iLife apps. I think it's one of the things that set us so far apart from our Windows counterparts. And, OS X is built on UNIX. That's a nice thing to be able to say.

As other people mentioned, I feel that Microsoft could spend every penny they have in their mega-vaults trying to come up with something as elegant as the iPod. Short of stealing away Jonathon Ive and his team, plus Apple's engineers - it would never, ever happen.

I have no problems with Microsoft. I'm just biased towards good design and functionality.

I'm not going to come take your Windows away from you, obviously. If you like it, great.

Betateam
Nov 2, 2005, 11:07 AM
So does Sony, Philips, Toshiba ... and they all keep trying to take on the iPod and failing.

Why haven't any of them been successful in developing a true iPod killer?

I know what I think about it. What are your thoughts?

B

Honestly I do not know. The Ipod is a solid product. It is plain, simple and very user friendly. That is why I'm buying my second one.
But as a consumer I'd love to see a product that was good enough to compete with the Ipod. Apple has very good marketing skills and design team.

I just think MS could do it. Look at the Xbox and the Playstation. Both were players that jumped in to the scene late. Sega is gone and Nintendo is struggling with their consoles. MS has the potential to make an "ipod killer" and I would like to see it.

Betateam
Nov 2, 2005, 11:18 AM
Have you ever plugged a camera into a Windows machine for the first time, and had included-in-the-operating-system software recognize it immediately?

Yes. A couple years ago this is. I got some crappy digital camera that came free with a printer. Never installed any software. My Nokia camera phone, none. I just got a nice Kodak camera. Never installed software. Worked seconds after I plugged it in.

Or made a song with software that came with Windows?

Or cut a movie, then burned it to a DVD?

All without having to install any drivers or 3rd party software?

No, but Windows isn't designed that way. There are some great 3rd party apps to automate and do all this. While it wasn't software preloaded, it does a superb job and it does it efficiently

Yes, I'm talking about the iLife apps. I think it's one of the things that set us so far apart from our Windows counterparts. And, OS X is built on UNIX. That's a nice thing to be able to say.

Agreed

As other people mentioned, I feel that Microsoft could spend every penny they have in their mega-vaults trying to come up with something as elegant as the iPod. Short of stealing away Jonathon Ive and his team, plus Apple's engineers - it would never, ever happen.

I have no problems with Microsoft. I'm just biased towards good design and functionality.

I think Apple products look good, but I think using them is clunky. It is counter-intuitive from what I'm used to.

balamw
Nov 2, 2005, 11:50 AM
I think Apple products look good, but I think using them is clunky. It is counter-intuitive from what I'm used to.
That's the main point, it comes down to what you're used to, and how your expectations have been set by training and experience.

Most people will be able to handle an iPod without any instruction or experiance and just "get" it. My wife for example. She never figured out my Rio S30, but she "got" her iPod mini out of the box.

There are many good things about XP, but intuitiveness is not one of them.

I think this is one of the main reasons iPod killers have not been successful. Clunky counter-intuitive UIs and creeping featuritis. Someday soon smartphones (probably Windows powered) will probably eclipse dedicated music players, but not until they are as convenient and (relatively) inexpensive. I don't want to be carrying a $600+ smartphone all the time, when I can just leave my $300 iPod at home if I don't want to carry it at that time.

B

Betateam
Nov 2, 2005, 12:10 PM
That's the main point, it comes down to what you're used to, and how your expectations have been set by training and experience.

Most people will be able to handle an iPod without any instruction or experiance and just "get" it. My wife for example. She never figured out my Rio S30, but she "got" her iPod mini out of the box.

B

I agree, it is mostly what you are used to.

And I'd like to make a small correction. Yes the Ipod is VERY intuitive. When I got my first one someone said don't read the instructions, just use it. And it worked exactly as one would think it would.

the future
Nov 2, 2005, 12:32 PM
The file system seems easier to explore in Windows. I can easily find the files and documents I need.

Get that Mac mini and enjoy the power of Spotlight. Finding documents instantly, no matter where you put them. Vista will have something like this, but will it work as flawlessly? We'll have to wait and see.

There are tons more programs available for Windows. I like to do 3D animation. I have not seen a good program for the Apple platform. But just basic programs, you have many more options to choose from with Windows.

I think you'll find that there are very few tasks you can't find a Mac app for. Sure, there may be tons of Windows apps doing the same thing, but most of them are rubbish. The only important comparison IMO is which platform has the single best app for the task at hand. More often than not, this is OS X (again, IMO). Examples are the iLife apps, obviously, but also apps like Delicious Library, Super Duper, MacTheRipper etc.

What applications does OS X have that is no available on the PC? I know a bunch of Adobe products used to be Mac only, but most of the big good programs are dual now. What MAJOR programs are exclusivly OS X?

All the Apple pro apps: Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro, Motion, Soundtrack, Logic, Shake (also available for Linux), Aperture.

I'm actually seriously thinking about getting a MiniMac just to see if I like it.

That's a good idea. If you don't like it, you won't lose much if you sell on ebay.

hcuar
Nov 2, 2005, 12:34 PM
In defense of Micr... Oh my god... Can't believe I'm doing this... If they bundled software like Apple, the antitrust people would be howling like a dog in heat. (Or something like that) I'm a major Apple fan, and love the bundling. So... go for it Apple.

Chundles
Nov 2, 2005, 12:39 PM
When you say you needed to click to install a printer what do you mean? Didn't it just load and start when you plugged it in? Mine did. I plugged it in, the computer buzzed and clicked and whirred for a few seconds, I opened Office, made a test page, clicked print and it printed.

I never had to "set up" my printer.

As for 3D animation apps on Mac, what about Maya, I hear it's pretty good. There are quite a few of them out there.

Whilst I respect your liking of Windows I will voice my opinion that I find it to be very counterintuitive, CD's not mounting on the desktop is an annoyance of mine, as is the way XP handles burning. Because the CD doesn't mount to the desktop you have to search around for the CD folder, I'm just used to click-drag-click CD burning.

Windows handles network browsing much better, I hate having to mount each folder onto the desktop just to browse shared folders on Windows machines on the network, I did like being able to just browse them as if they were folders on my own computer without having to worry about mounting and unmounting. It would also be nice if OS X would display shared printers and devices on networked machines to save me from hunting around for them in print setup. Maybe an option to just drag the icon of the shared printer to the desktop to allow use would be a good new 10.5 feature.

I just enjoy the integrated, slick OS X experience far more than the disjointed and frustrating time I have when using Windows.

Stampyhead
Nov 2, 2005, 12:49 PM
Well first I would say familiarity. When I've tried to do certain tasks, such as install a printer, it would take a few clicks in Windows, took me a while to figure out in OS X. I guess familiarity is the key here, because my experience is the exact opposite. Installing a printer on Windows was always a huge headache for me. I would always take longer than I felt it needed to. Installing a printer on OS X, however, is quick and painless. OS X ships with most of the popular printer drivers already installed, so you basically plug your printer in, the Printer Utility finds it and matches it with its utility, and then you're ready to start printing. In the event that there is not a print driver available for the Mac for a particular printer (such was the case with a Dell branded laser printer I had for a while) the printer utility assigns it to a generic print driver, which works beautifully in most cases.

There are tons more programs available for Windows. This is actually a huge pet peeve of mine, people claiming that Windows is better than the Mac OS because there are more applications available for Windows (I'm not accusing you of this, I'm just saying in general). The fact of the matter is that Windows currently still owns about 95% of the market share (it used to be even more), so obviously most developers are going to create programs for the computers that most people use. If those applications were created for Mac as well then they would run just as well as they do on Windows. The limitation is not on the operating system, but on the developers who write for it. As the Mac grows in popularity we are seeing more software created to run on it.

I like to do 3D animation. I have not seen a good program for the Apple platform. What about Maya? (www.alias.com) I don't know much about 3D animation software, but I believe Maya is used by many Hollywood animation studios, and it is available for OS X. They even have a free version you can download to get used to it and see if you like it before you drop several K on the full version.

Betateam
Nov 2, 2005, 12:58 PM
When you say you needed to click to install a printer what do you mean? Didn't it just load and start when you plugged it in? Mine did. I plugged it in, the computer buzzed and clicked and whirred for a few seconds, I opened Office, made a test page, clicked print and it printed.

I never had to "set up" my printer.

Well it was a network printer. I knew the IP address and they type of printer it was, but had a hard time finding the right area to enter the needed information.

As for 3D animation apps on Mac, what about Maya, I hear it's pretty good. There are quite a few of them out there.

See there goes my ignorance. I did not know they made Maya for the Mac. Maya is about as good as they come. I use 3D Studio.

Whilst I respect your liking of Windows I will voice my opinion that I find it to be very counterintuitive, CD's not mounting on the desktop is an annoyance of mine, as is the way XP handles burning. Because the CD doesn't mount to the desktop you have to search around for the CD folder, I'm just used to click-drag-click CD burning.

I never use the Windows CD burning. And I think this is a difference. I rarley used the bundled apps that come with Windows. When using it though, I never seemed to have trouble. Just drag the files to the CD icon. It is not on your desktop, but it is very easy.

Windows handles network browsing much better, I hate having to mount each folder onto the desktop just to browse shared folders on Windows machines on the network, I did like being able to just browse them as if they were folders on my own computer without having to worry about mounting and unmounting.

In a corporate enviornment you can have a login script do it for you. Again it doesn't just appear on the desktop. It is in My Computer, but still very similar. XP does some of that anyway too. The automatic sharing of folders. I haven't had a need for it, so I haven't investigated it too much, but I've seen it auto created shared folders all the time.

I just enjoy the integrated, slick OS X experience far more than the disjointed and frustrating time I have when using Windows.

I feel the same way with OS X. Again I think it is just what you are used to. I pull my hair out sometimes trying to do simple tasks. With Windows I can Go to a command prompt and quickly finding a machines IP or MAC address. Maybe it is easy once you know what you are doing, but it took me several minutes to find that simple information on a Mac.

Please I'm not trying to bash anyone at all. I want to be more informed. That is what a forum is for. I think it is very nice we can talk and not kill eachother over something silly as our OS preference. So thanks.

balamw
Nov 2, 2005, 01:07 PM
In defense of Micr... Oh my god... Can't believe I'm doing this... If they bundled software like Apple, the antitrust people would be howling like a dog in heat. (Or something like that) I'm a major Apple fan, and love the bundling. So... go for it Apple.
Not really a fair comparison. Apple is both the OS and hardware vendor. Plus they do not have a majority share of the OS or hardware markets. Compare the Apple bundles to Dell's or HP's and you'll find they try to bundle about as much functionality as Apple does.

B

Chundles
Nov 2, 2005, 01:18 PM
I feel the same way with OS X. Again I think it is just what you are used to. I pull my hair out sometimes trying to do simple tasks. With Windows I can Go to a command prompt and quickly finding a machines IP or MAC address. Maybe it is easy once you know what you are doing, but it took me several minutes to find that simple information on a Mac.

Please I'm not trying to bash anyone at all. I want to be more informed. That is what a forum is for. I think it is very nice we can talk and not kill eachother over something silly as our OS preference. So thanks.

You're right about the network printing, it's a pain.

However, all the networking information is available in the system profiler, no need to go into the terminal.

I think the difference here is that we all use the bundled apps so much because they are very good apps, powerful and simple and fully integrated into the OS.

balamw
Nov 2, 2005, 01:20 PM
With Windows I can Go to a command prompt and quickly finding a machines IP or MAC address. Maybe it is easy once you know what you are doing, but it took me several minutes to find that simple information on a Mac.
The Windows/DOS command prompt is one of the things I hate about Windows. As someone who cut his teeth in computers on various flavors of unix, CMD is a joke of a shell. I used to use 4DOS, but gave up on using custom shells. Monad will be better. bash is here on OS X and linux today.

BTW. XP's ipconfig is an embrace & extend of the standard unix ifconfig (interface configuration) as is the whole TCP/IP stack. ;)

B