PDA

View Full Version : 'Trunk' Posable Lightning Cable Doubles as iPhone Stand

MacRumors
May 22, 2013, 09:24 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/22/trunk-posable-lightning-cable-doubles-as-iphone-stand/)

As noted by Gizmodo (http://gizmodo.com/an-iphone-5-cable-that-never-tangles-and-doubles-as-a-s-509262434), iLoveHandles has launched a new Trunk (http://ilovehandles.com/products-page/iphone/trunk/) Lightning charging cable for the iPhone 5, offering an innovative posable design that allows the short cable to also serve as a stand for the device.http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/05/trunk_cable_1.jpgUnlike the short, flaccid charging cables on the market, you can bend Trunk vertical to charge on the wall, bend it the other way and use GPS in the car, or straighten it out and put it in a pocket when you're on the move.

Why do you need all that cord? With Trunk, there is no wrapping, no tangling -- no mess.http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/05/trunk_cable_2.jpg
Trunk is available (http://ilovehandles.com/products-page/iphone/trunk/) through the iLoveHandles online store for $19.95.

Article Link: 'Trunk' Posable Lightning Cable Doubles as iPhone Stand (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/22/trunk-posable-lightning-cable-doubles-as-iphone-stand/)

1080p
May 22, 2013, 09:26 AM
Seems like it doesn't have enough support to ensure that my $750 device doesn't crash into the center console when I hit a bumpy road...

ftaok
May 22, 2013, 09:27 AM
Interesting, but I'm not sure if I'd mount it in my car the way the picture shows. Looks like a lot of strain on the lighting receptor. Plus if you're poking at the screen in GPS mode, is it sturdy enough?

onirocdarb
May 22, 2013, 09:30 AM
This would be awesome for a car gps like in the picture. I would imagine after a while this would wreck the lighting port, though.

b35773
May 22, 2013, 09:30 AM
This is a cool idea but an impossible design concept - it creates dangerous tension points that will strain the lighting port, the USB and lightning connectors, the adapter, and the electrical socket unnecessarily.

Gravity likes its cables flaccid.

Oldschoolers
May 22, 2013, 09:34 AM
I really like the concept. Seems much more practical for the house than a car.

kaielement
May 22, 2013, 09:35 AM
At 19.99 price not to bad might want to check it out. I own other products made by them and have been pleased. I own the rubberband and they messed up my order and gave me a free one in addition to the one I ordered. Very cool that they took care of my issue and gave me free product.

bacaramac
May 22, 2013, 09:38 AM
Man, looks like a great idea for the car, but don't see this holding up. Who actually has a lighter/usb socket right there in the car? Mine if vertical on the dash and there is no way I would trust this keeping my phone plugged in.

furi0usbee
May 22, 2013, 09:40 AM
My iPad mini lighting connector is already "wobbly," and that's just from charging it each night. I would never attempt to use this for my iPhone in my car, as pictured. Just the stress on the connector from the weight of the phone, let alone pushing on it. If they had a snap-on adapter that could hug the bottom of the phone, then maybe.

TurnTronics
May 22, 2013, 09:41 AM
This is a cool idea but an impossible design concept - it creates dangerous tension points that will strain the lighting port, the USB and lightning connectors, the adapter, and the electrical socket unnecessarily.

I agree. Not sure if I would want to risk damaging the lightning port on my iPhone 5. Cool concept, but would like to see how it holds up with everyday use.

PracticalMac
May 22, 2013, 09:44 AM
Finally a cable that WON'T BREAK!

(forget about the in car example, that's silly)

dannyp1996
May 22, 2013, 09:51 AM
Very attractive concept, however I would certainly fear damage occurring to my iPhone when it is supporting itself only on the Lightening port.

jclardy
May 22, 2013, 10:24 AM
I'd like this for my car but it would have to be a longer cable. My cigarette lighter is on the very bottom right of my console so my iPhone would essentially be right behind my gear stick. Maybe one of those metal bendable cords that they use in bendable desk lamps would work.

Also I would like to have a wider base and an actual cradle to hold the back for extra support so that the lightning connector doesn't snap off.

JaySoul
May 22, 2013, 10:24 AM
So my cable would no longer be short and flaccid?

And would be replaced by a trunk that can bend to become vertical?

phoenixsan
May 22, 2013, 10:27 AM
seems to me as a useful and well designed product. Definitely, I am interested and would buy it.

:):apple:

KindredMAC
May 22, 2013, 10:32 AM
I think I'm going to give it a try in my car.
My cig lighter is at an angle so I could help support the backward leaning weight against the dash.
I think everyone is a little too hyper about the dock connector not being able to support any weight. It's pretty sturdy. I already have a dock at home for my iPhone5 and the bulk of the weight is on the lightning plug.

Robert.Walter
May 22, 2013, 10:41 AM
This is a cool idea but an impossible design concept - it creates dangerous tension points that will strain the lighting port, the USB and lightning connectors, the adapter, and the electrical socket unnecessarily....

First thing(s) that came into my mind too.

----------

...If they had a snap-on adapter that could hug the bottom of the phone, then maybe.

Second thing that came into my mind.

chiefsilverback
May 22, 2013, 10:46 AM

Gravity likes its cables flaccid.Agreed, the home suggestion works for a straight linear load through the vertical plane on to the cable but as soon as you try to angle the device you are creating a significant force as the phone will try to pivot off the top of the cable...

bommai
May 22, 2013, 10:52 AM
The iPhone has been out for 6 years now and there is still no full car integration as in a docking station that is on the console and fully integrated robustly. I think cars need to come with an iPhone or iPad mini size enclosure on the console.

CalebLevArn
May 22, 2013, 11:06 AM
Finally a cable that WON'T BREAK!

(forget about the in car example, that's silly)

The cable won't break but your lightning port probably will.

jcm212
May 22, 2013, 11:07 AM
Interesting, but I'm not sure if I'd mount it in my car the way the picture shows. Looks like a lot of strain on the lighting receptor. Plus if you're poking at the screen in GPS mode, is it sturdy enough?

it's lightning...

Madonepro
May 22, 2013, 11:17 AM
Give the product a chance. No one here has seen and played with it yet, it might be sturdier in r/l.

BreuerEditor
May 22, 2013, 11:25 AM
Just looking at the design near the lightning part of the cable you can tell it won't work with most cases...no thanks.

GoCubsGo
May 22, 2013, 11:36 AM
If it holds up anything like this product:
http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Power-Port-Mount-iPhone/dp/B001G7PIDU/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_i
then it will be a flop, most literally. I had this product and the weight of the iPhone 1 caused it to turn and flip down onto the floor boards of my truck.

javco
May 22, 2013, 11:37 AM

I agree. I think it should have some kind of stand for additional support. I guess that using it constantly can damage the connector.

Arran
May 22, 2013, 11:45 AM
Will be great with a shuffle. When they get lightning and bluetooth.

attila
May 22, 2013, 11:46 AM
If this is anything like Une Bobine, I'll pass, thanks - those didn't work!

cclloyd
May 22, 2013, 12:07 PM

They actually sell a + version that costs $50,000 extra that creates an anti-gravity field around it so as to not strain the cord.

Kabeyun
May 22, 2013, 12:11 PM
You'll always be able to sell to men if you contrast your product to something flaccid.

jtara
May 22, 2013, 12:23 PM
Great idea.

Other than the possibility of destorying: the Lightning port, your phone, the USB port, your cigarette lighter port, your car after the short caused in the cigarette lighter...

Mr Kram
May 22, 2013, 12:30 PM
i think i'd prefer a clunky, but stable dock or mount. interesting idea though.

prowlmedia
May 22, 2013, 01:07 PM

How heavy do you think the iPhone is!? It would be fine.

1 a usb is plenty strong enough and the lightning connector is even stronger!

Sorry to burst you bubble but it ain't a concept... it's on sale. I'll buy one and let you know how it goes.

http://ilovehandles.com/products-page/iphone/trunk/

----------

Great idea.

Other than the possibility of destrying: the Lightning port, your phone, the USB port, your cigarette lighter port, your car after the short caused in the cigarette lighter...

Well anything is possible... but... well not really.. all the bits are way strong enough. the lighting connector is incredibly strong.

i486dx2-66
May 22, 2013, 01:28 PM

It's a mass on the end of a flexible lever arm. If this is in your car, and you hit a pothole, the forces are going to be substantially higher than just the static weight of the iPhone.

If the bendy trunk isn't rigid enough, then the phone can swing around and hit something. If it maintains its position, then those forces are transferred through. You risk damaging the phone at the connector, damaging the USB port, or dislodging the lighter socket adapter.

No thanks.

JAT
May 22, 2013, 01:57 PM

1 a usb is plenty strong enough and the lightning connector is even stronger!

Sorry to burst you bubble but it ain't a concept... it's on sale. I'll buy one and let you know how it goes.

http://ilovehandles.com/products-page/iphone/trunk/

----------

Well anything is possible... but... well not really.. all the bits are way strong enough. the lighting connector is incredibly strong.
I agree. This is part of the design of the lightning connector, to be able to handle a bit more force. The phone weighs so little. Not that I have any interest in this product.

yehudah72
May 22, 2013, 02:12 PM
The iPhone has been out for 6 years now and there is still no full car integration as in a docking station that is on the console and fully integrated robustly. I think cars need to come with an iPhone or iPad mini size enclosure on the console.

I have a 2013 Audi A8 and has a fully iPhone-integrated center-console adapter where u can control calls and music... Get an Audi!!!

KSpider
May 22, 2013, 03:03 PM
ordered 2, will review

ctmaddison
May 22, 2013, 03:06 PM
I'd personally be a tad more worried about my car and my life than my phone! There's a reason GPS units are positioned above the dashboard - if you used your phone as a GPS as in the picture it wouldn't be long before you wrapped your car around a tree or worse from taking your eyes off the road. Some very bad marketing there.

uiop.
May 25, 2013, 02:42 PM
Delayed a few weeks due to unexpected demand...ugh. Got this email a little bit ago from ilovehandles.

Donia330i
Jun 4, 2013, 02:22 PM
ordered 2, will review

ever get yours?

uiop.
Jun 5, 2013, 10:36 AM
ever get yours?

Shipments are delayed until middle of this month.

KSpider
Jun 17, 2013, 04:02 PM
So I ordered 3 of these... and just got them 5 minutes ago.

Aside from being a 3 inch non-certified lightning charger, they are fairly worthless as anything else...

-the lightning connector is extremely lose and any jostling or shaking and the phone sways with it (would be worthless in car). biggest disappointment

-if the phone is on any angle and not perfectly vertical, the weight of the phone begins to straighten out your bend.

-i dont think it was advertised as such, but it only bends on one axis, you cant bend it up and to the side (for example, to face the user when connected to the side of a MBP or keyboard....

-it is too short to be visible from the back of my imac.

oh well.

uiop.
Jun 20, 2013, 09:57 AM
Just received mine yesterday. Hate to say it, but its a heap of rubbish.

Cons:

-Not a certified cable. So on iOS 7, you get the annoying warning dialogue everytime you plug it in.

-The material it is made out of is both too strong and too weak at times. It's incredibly difficult to adjust the angle to wear you want it. If you adjust it while its plugged into either the phone or the USB port, you get a nasty crackling/popping noise from the components in the iPhone and USB port being strained by the movement. This accessory WILL damage your device if not used correctly. It is not a question of if, its a question of when. The material is too weak at times in that 90% of the positions you move Trunk into, it will simply fall over with the weight of the iPhone connected to it. Tragic design flaw. This is supposed to be a "posable" Lightning cable, but has simply one position you can use it in.

Pros

-Feels solid. I could drop this off a skyscraper and I'm sure it would be fine.

-Cool to show people. Its certainly unlike any other charging cable out there.

All in all, I do not think this thing is worth the price. I would return it, but I don't really want to deal with the hassle of shipping it back. Disappointing. I thought this thing would be much more usable than it really is.