PDA

View Full Version : Status of Xbench results site??

Escher2112
May 22, 2013, 12:14 PM
Not sure where to post this, so I dumped it in here.

I used to use the xbench tool and comparison site for all my mac benchmarking - but as of a couple years ago I think, the database site has not been working.

I meant to ask ages ago, but whatever happened to it? The main site is till there and you can download xbench... but I miss the old comparison site to look back at my mac-progress over the years!

Mac Hammer Fan
May 23, 2013, 02:55 PM
The benchmarks are gone. (site is no longer online)

Cox Orange
May 24, 2013, 04:54 AM
Xbench is crapp anyway. An ATI 7000 gets better results than a NVidia 7800GT. I did use it for HDD benchmarks and saw, that when you do 10 tests of the same drive you get a variety of results differing in 20MB/s.

I also found out with another user in another forum, that other benchmark tests like Quickbench and AJA are not giving real insights. If you take 20GB big iMovie file and dublicate it or copy it to another drive in a PowerMac G4 over an SATA-PCI card and stop the time you get a result of 33-39MB/s (SSD 45MB/s), while AJA tells you file transfer works at 80MB/s. I don't know why barefeats and everyone rely on these test when they are virtual and I wonder no one ever tried counting the time a file needs to be copied manually, before and mentioned it in a thread.