PDA

View Full Version : Backing-up songs?

asteroid
Oct 31, 2005, 02:56 AM
Hi, I'm quite new to itunes and recently bought an ipod nano, which is great. Only problem being, now that I've filled my ipod how do I back-up my itunes songs, incase I lose them (which did actually happen to me)?

Thanks in advance.

russed
Oct 31, 2005, 03:07 AM
you will want to copy the following folder to wherever you want to back up:

<user name>/music/itunes music

that will do the trick for you!

mad jew
Oct 31, 2005, 03:07 AM
Umm, put the iTunes folder on some other medium like CDs, DVDs or an external drive I suppose. I'm not sure that I understand the question. :)

asteroid
Oct 31, 2005, 03:21 AM
Thanks. Russes answered it - I know the question may have seemed a little dumb, but I'm just trying to find my way 'round itunes/mac so my knowledge of them is very basic to say the least.

Thanks.

mad jew
Oct 31, 2005, 03:23 AM
Can I recommend copying the folder named iTunes by default rather than iTunes Music (which is within this iTunes folder) because that way you'll keep a copy of the iTunes Library data file(s), meaning that you keep your playlists and playcounts. It's in your Music folder usually. :)

asteroid
Oct 31, 2005, 03:29 AM
Thanks MJ.

russed
Oct 31, 2005, 03:30 AM
Thanks. Russes answered it - I know the question may have seemed a little dumb, but I'm just trying to find my way 'round itunes/mac so my knowledge of them is very basic to say the least.

Thanks.

pleased to be of service. it is a good idea to back up the data file as it can be real pain if you lose your song ratings/playlists/play count!

Mitthrawnuruodo
Oct 31, 2005, 03:51 AM
How to back up your music in iTunes 5 or iTunes 6 (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302392), with the extra tip in Use a Smart Playlist to make regular backups of your music in iTunes (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93474).

Also remember to backup the ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Library file, along with your other regular data backups.