Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dfoster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2013
Hi, probably a stupid question but here goes: Just received Apple TV and my TV has numerous components hooked up. THere is an HDMI port on the TV but it is connected already to the satellite box (or the Bose sound box, or ??). How do I hook up Apple TV? Thanks.

MrMike6by9

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
You likely have more than a single HDMI port. Even my 4 year old cheap Visio has 3. I use one for the DVR and the second for the BluRay player. Your sound system might be connected to the DVR, for example. I have my ATV on the 3rd HDMI input. Cycle through the menu for your TV's inputs or better yet, crawl around the back.
YMMV

dfoster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2013
You likely have more than a single HDMI port. Even my 4 year old cheap Visio has 3. I use one for the DVR and the second for the BluRay player. Your sound system might be connected to the DVR, for example. I have my ATV on the 3rd HDMI input. Cycle through the menu for your TV's inputs or better yet, crawl around the back.
YMMV

Thanks Mike. Yes, there are like 6 inputs when I cycle through, but there seems to be only one HDMI port on the TV.

Maybe a switch is easiest??

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
Thanks Mike. Yes, there are like 6 inputs when I cycle through, but there seems to be only one HDMI port on the TV.

Maybe a switch is easiest??

a switch is only necessary if you have an inadequate number of ports. when you say 6 inputs i assume you mean total, of the 6 how many are hdmi?

dfoster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2013
a switch is only necessary if you have an inadequate number of ports. when you say 6 inputs i assume you mean total, of the 6 how many are hdmi?

On the back of the TV there is only one HDMI port. There are lots of red/white/yellow coloured plugs.

When I cycle through inputs on the TV setup, it says "1=tv, 2=dvd, 3=satellite, etc." ... there are 6.

I am probably using confusing language!

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
yellow/red/white = composite video (yellow) and stereo audio (red/white)
those really won't help you with the aTV.

you mention "bose sound box" there is a chance that has multiple HDMI ports on it.
you would then use the bose box to change what you're watching on the TV.

so both the satellite box and the aTV would wire to the inputs on the bose, and the output of the bose would go to the TV.

if it doesn't you will need an HDMI switch check here for the listing at monoprice.
also look at monoprice for your HDMI cables. you'll get them for much much cheaper than you would at best buy, and the quality will be the same.

or depending on your TV, it sounds like it may not be full HD (possibly an older ED TV).
in that case you could use composite video for your satellite box, and probably not see too much loss in video quality.

dfoster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2013
yellow/red/white = composite video (yellow) and stereo audio (red/white)
those really won't help you with the aTV.

you mention "bose sound box" there is a chance that has multiple HDMI ports on it.
you would then use the bose box to change what you're watching on the TV.

so both the satellite box and the aTV would wire to the inputs on the bose, and the output of the bose would go to the TV.

if it doesn't you will need an HDMI switch check here for the listing at monoprice.
also look at monoprice for your HDMI cables. you'll get them for much much cheaper than you would at best buy, and the quality will be the same.

or depending on your TV, it sounds like it may not be full HD (possibly an older ED TV).
in that case you could use composite video for your satellite box, and probably not see too much loss in video quality.

Thanks! I will check the Bose box tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.