PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Releases Windows 8 Tablet Ad Highlighting iPad's Flaws, High Price [Updated]

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
May 22, 2013, 07:42 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/22/microsoft-releases-windows-8-tablet-ad-highlighting-ipads-flaws-high-price/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/05/vivotab2.jpgAs noted by The Verge (http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/22/4357288/windows-8-ad-attacks-apple-ipad-with-siri), Microsoft has released a new Windows 8 tablet ad that uses Siri to highlight a few of the iPad's shortcomings, depicting the ASUS VivoTab Smart (http://www.asus.com/Tablets_Mobile/ASUS_VivoTab_Smart/) tablet as a robust productivity machine while implying that the iPad is more suited to entertainment.

In the ad, which is entitled "Less Talking, More Doing," an iPad is depicted next to the aforementioned VivoTab Smart, showing off the system's multitasking capabilities and its built-in office apps. A Siri voiceover points out that the iPad does not support multiple windows at once and does not offer Microsoft Office apps. "I'm sorry, I can only do one thing at a time," Siri laments. "I guess PowerPoint isn't one of those things."

86JMcy5OqZA
The ad ends on a humorous note, poking fun at a previous Apple commercial (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/03/apple-begins-running-ipad-mini-piano-tv-ad/) that depicted an iPad and iPad mini piano duet in GarageBand. The iPad is shown operating GarageBand next to the hardworking Windows 8 tablet, and Siri asks "Should we just play chopsticks?"

Microsoft also focuses on the price difference between the two tablets in the ad, pointing out that the 64GB WiFi iPad (http://store.apple.com/us/buy/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad?product=IPAD2012-4GEN_MAIN) costs $699 while the 64GB Asus VivoTab Smart is $250 cheaper at $449.

Update: Microsoft has released a second anti-iPad ad, highlighting the size and weight of the iPad vs. the VivoTab Smart and once again pointing out the multitasking capabilities available with Windows 8 tablets.

zgu9uo2UpPg

Article Link: Microsoft Releases Windows 8 Tablet Ad Highlighting iPad's Flaws, High Price [Updated] (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/22/microsoft-releases-windows-8-tablet-ad-highlighting-ipads-flaws-high-price/)

Loyalty4Life
May 22, 2013, 07:45 PM
iPad apps? 300,000

Windows? 3000

Pwned.

jpmcnown
May 22, 2013, 07:48 PM
iPad apps? 300,000

Windows? 3000

Pwned.

Only 3000 Windows app? Mmmk. The VivoTab Smart is Full Windows 8, not RT.

Owned(autocorrected)

tann
May 22, 2013, 07:49 PM
This is now one of my favourite anti-apple adverts.

Just made me smile for some reason!

needfx
May 22, 2013, 07:52 PM
Hi, I'm a Surface,

...and I'm an iPad

ps45
Boasting that there is no Powerpoint for iPad just makes me think Microsoft have been too lazy or protective to just get on and produce it. Chopsticks part is a nice dig though.

Geekola
Surface Pro w/ keyboard = $1100
iPad w/ cover = $550

:confused:

robeddie
May 22, 2013, 07:53 PM
great ad, great points.

The biggest blind spot in Apples iOS approach is that its all about simple consumption and limits the true productive flexibility of legacy computers.
This ad makes that point, and well.

pezj
May 22, 2013, 07:57 PM
Me giggle long time

Macrolido
May 22, 2013, 07:58 PM
Windows 8 looks good on the tablet, just saying...

DaveTheRave
May 22, 2013, 07:58 PM
That was clever. Doesn't make me want a Windows tablet but the chopsticks at the end made me laugh.

Somewhere out there, PC Guy is doing a mental high-five.

WatchTheThrone
May 22, 2013, 07:59 PM
Funny ad but it makes me want a windows 8 tablet even less!! The last thing I could possibly wanna do on a tablet is work on Microsoft office apps lol
They make the iPad look like the funner tablet while windows 8 is more for work than play.

LOLZpersonok
May 22, 2013, 08:00 PM
iPad apps? 300,000

Windows? 3000

Pwned.

Regardless, you can still run desktop applications on the tablet which ends up being waaaaay more than 300,000. Yes, you can still do it on Windows RT.

OLDCODGER
May 22, 2013, 08:01 PM
To any one of our many geeks here: Can I throw Windows away and install Ubuntu instead?

toaster64
May 22, 2013, 08:01 PM
Pretty good ad, but the product is terrible. For one thing, you don't get anywhere near 64GB on it, only 30GB.

Apple should actually give the iPad and iPad mini visual multitasking, not just background apps. They got it right and didn't make a PC then call it a tablet like MS did, but it could use a little more power.

jayducharme
May 22, 2013, 08:02 PM
I wonder how well it operates, with a low power dual-core Atom processor. Also, the ad is a bit deceptive claiming the iPad lacks PowerPoint. The Asus doesn't have it either. You can get compatible presentation software for the iPad for not much money. But for the Asus, you'd have to buy the MS Office Suite. And for any real "productivity" you'd have to add a Bluetooth keyboard. So that would bring the tablet's actual price up a bit more.

ziggyonice
May 22, 2013, 08:02 PM
The thing that always irks me when I watch ads that attack Apple is they always go for price.

They like to rub in the overused idea that Apple products are always more expensive by, in this case, using one of the highest spec-ed options and saying, "Look how expensive the iPad is," when it's actually a very reasonably priced tablet.

Funny, yes. But still kinda skewed. But I guess that's advertising.

Yamcha
May 22, 2013, 08:03 PM
I thought the Ad was pretty funny. Personally I've used a Surface RT before and I felt it was a pretty good device, especially when it comes to multi-tasking..

But I still prefer Nexus line of Android Tablets or even the Samsung Galaxy Tab (with cyanogenmod). I'm no longer a fan of iOS, but as always, my opinions may change with iOS7..

hauntvictim
May 22, 2013, 08:03 PM
Loved the add... But this is true

iPad w/ cover = $550

Liquorpuki
May 22, 2013, 08:04 PM
iPad apps? 300,000

Windows? 3000

Pwned.

300,000 flashlight apps and farming games

go iPad!

toaster64
May 22, 2013, 08:05 PM
iPad w/ cover = $550

The Surface Pro isn't what you'd compare to the iPad. That thing is a laptop with a touch screen, essentially. They compare the iPad to the regular Surface in the ad like it should be.

Stevamundo
May 22, 2013, 08:06 PM
Isn't there iWork for the iPad?:rolleyes:

jontech
May 22, 2013, 08:06 PM
Having owned both the windows 8 tablet just gets in the way. Ill stick to my laptop thank you

iPad for the stuff I want to do on the fly

The MS tablet does neither well

Liquorpuki
May 22, 2013, 08:07 PM

yeah and it comes with Pages, AKA 10 dollar Wordpad

toaster64
May 22, 2013, 08:08 PM
Also, the ad is a bit deceptive claiming the iPad lacks PowerPoint.

Forget that. It's deceptive in its claim that the Surface gets 64GB. Apple does some deceiving too (formatted capacity less, OS takes up space, 1GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes), but the Surface is just ridiculous. The OS by itself takes up 30GB!!! WTF?!

----------

Have you ever used Pages? If you were going to bash iWork, it would make sense to bash Numbers. I switched to iWork in 2008 and have been using Pages happily after that, but I have to use Excel a lot because Numbers sucks.

jpmcnown
May 22, 2013, 08:08 PM
Pretty good ad, but the product is terrible. For one thing, you don't get anywhere near 64GB on it, only 30GB.

Though a foreign concept to many iOS users, this particular Windows 8 tab has a micro sd card slot for portable, expandable storage.

Rogifan
May 22, 2013, 08:11 PM
great ad, great points.

The biggest blind spot in Apples iOS approach is that its all about simple consumption and limits the true productive flexibility of legacy computers.

Seems to me the average consumer will see this ad and think how cool it is they can play the piano on their iPad. People want to do fun things on their tablet not edit PowerPoint documents.

toaster64
The thing that always irks me when I watch ads that attack Apple is they always go for price.

They like to rub in the overused idea that Apple products are always more expensive by, in this case, using one of the highest spec-ed options and saying, "Look how expensive the iPad is," when it's actually a very reasonably priced tablet.

Funny, yes. But still kinda skewed. But I guess that's advertising.

For comparable hardware specs, the iPad does cost more than Microsoft's stuff. I think the iPad is reasonably priced, and then Microsoft goes cheap. But if you want cheap, there's Android! It's basically Windows but much, much better.

KieranDotW
One runs a mobile OS, the other runs a full OS pretending to be a mobile OS. Yes there's a difference, but there would be too if the iPad ran OS X.

Rogifan
May 22, 2013, 08:12 PM
Regardless, you can still run desktop applications on the tablet which ends up being waaaaay more than 300,000. Yes, you can still do it on Windows RT.

What desktop apps can you run on Windows RT?

needfx
May 22, 2013, 08:12 PM
Though a foreign concept to many iOS users, this particular Windows 8 tab has a micro sd card slot for portable, expandable storage.

micro sd cards though are not that fabulous with their meagre 30mbps transfer rate, ok it's a class 10 with a max of 64gb, but still not a strong selling point. Changing memory cards for anything else other than a camera seems so like April 2002

toaster64
May 22, 2013, 08:13 PM
micro sd cards though are not that fabulous with their meagre 30mbps transfer rate, ok it's a class 10 with a max of 64gb, but still not a strong selling point. Changing memory cards for anything else other than a camera seems so like April 2002

Nah, I actually like the idea of MicroSD card slots. If you buy the wrong capacity Apple device, you're stuck! That's besides the point anyway. If the OS takes up 30GB, that's a really bad thing for reasons other than just losing a lot of storage.

Liquorpuki
May 22, 2013, 08:13 PM
Have you ever used Pages? If you were going to bash iWork, it would make sense to bash Numbers. I switched to iWork in 2008 and have been using Pages happily after that, but I have to use Excel a lot because Numbers sucks.

iWork for iOS wasn't out in 2008

We're talking tablets here, right?

toaster64
May 22, 2013, 08:18 PM
iWork for iOS wasn't out in 2008

We're talking tablets here, right?

Oh right, the tablet version. It's still important to have a good desktop version because iWork for iOS is meant to work with it through iCloud.

It's the same story on iOS. Pages on iOS has everything necessary, and Numbers sucks. Have you actually tried the iOS Pages and found things that people would need that it doesn't have?

StarPower
May 22, 2013, 08:23 PM
Pretty unbelievable how all these inferior, wannabe companies start bashing Apple via public ads, like a bullying gangup, shortly after Steve dies. They ought to be ashamed.

Apple gets so much free press, it's no wonder they don't need to spend as much marketing as the others. All these idiot competitors don't even need to come up with a good and clever ad, they can just "bash Apple".

America, wake up, you have the most successful, inspirational and game changing company in history as one of your own, and you're trying to "take it down" via jealous, envious mean-spirited bullying.

kwiiboy
May 22, 2013, 08:28 PM
iPad w/ cover = $550

Price ≠ functionality.

----------

Pretty unbelievable how all these inferior, wannabe companies start bashing Apple via public ads, like a bullying gangup, shortly after Steve dies. They ought to be ashamed.

Apple gets so much free press, it's no wonder they don't need to spend as much marketing as the others. All these idiot competitors don't even need to come up with a good and clever ad, they can just "bash Apple".

America, wake up, you have the most successful, inspirational and game changing company in history as one of your own, and you're trying to "take it down" via jealous, envious mean-spirited bullying.

While Apple has had innovation, they still did the Mac vs. PC ads. I thought the ad was nice but in the end the better product will prevail. Let's see.

mac-er
May 22, 2013, 08:29 PM
iPad apps? 300,000

Windows? 3000

Pwned.

(First, I have to say that I am a huge Apple fan.)

Now, let's get to business. No, they really aren't Pwned.

I cannot stand when Apple fans try to throw the number of apps in people's faces. Why? Because it is the exact same tactic that PC fans used against the Mac in the late 90s and early 2000s. "Windows has more software titles....blah, blah, blah." And, the retort from Mac fans back then was "sost Windows software titles are junk."

Same story today, just roles reversed. Hypocrisy.

jfx94
May 22, 2013, 08:33 PM
Seems like the ad is trying to communicate too much and point out too many flaws/differences. Apple's ads seem to focus on one point and communicate it elegantly.

chrismarle
May 22, 2013, 08:36 PM

Desktop apps on Windows RT? Are you serious? Windows RT can only run apps from the Windows Store.

CausticPuppy
May 22, 2013, 08:36 PM
So the ad is telling us that Surface is good for boring drudgery like PowerPoint, while iPad is good for making music.

mrmarts
May 22, 2013, 08:38 PM
So Microsoft is now taunting Apple rewind or fast forward to about 1 min and 04 sec in the Apple VS PC ads of yesteryear http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5z0Ia5jDt4

TheRainKing
May 22, 2013, 08:44 PM
Funny ad, but blatantly misleading. I guess Apple cant complain too much, remember all their mac vs pc commercials where they would imply that PCs had basically no capabilities beyond spreadsheets and calculators.

AbSoluTc
May 22, 2013, 08:59 PM
I love Apple as much as the next person but all these ads do have have something in common - they point out just how ancient the iOS interface looks. So much potential wasted.

I hate Windows 8 with a passion. However, the interface in the commercial just looks so much fresher and "nicer" than the iPad. Same with Android.

It's time for Apple to refresh if they want to stay relevant and valid.

cloudstar
May 22, 2013, 09:04 PM
It's amusing that the iPad is what created a mass market for these tablets when all manufacturers had previously struggled to find anyone interested in buying them. The reason for that still exists today - a tablet cannot just be a laptop without keyboard and reduced screen real estate. Jobs knew this, and it's why he resisted making one until they'd revolutionised the very concept of a tablet. Yes, the iPad struggles as a productivity device because it lacks Word, but it's taken over the mobile device market because it doesn't pretend to be a complete system w/ full featured OS, not despite it. :apple:

Color09
May 22, 2013, 09:08 PM
I'm a huge Apple fan, but that was pretty good. Even thought they chose to use the priciest ipad

fpsBeaTt
May 22, 2013, 09:09 PM

Owned(autocorrected)

Sure, because using vanilla Windows apps on a tablet is great. :rolleyes:

Oh, and great autocorrect displaying your ignorance of the internet.

Saladinos
May 22, 2013, 09:14 PM
One runs a mobile OS, the other runs a full OS pretending to be a mobile OS. Yes there's a difference, but there would be too if the iPad ran OS X.

The iPad does run OSX.

The only thing missing is AppKit - the set of common controls like NSButton, NSWindow, etc. Those things make no sense on a touch device.

Apple could easily port AppKit to iOS, if it were very much in demand. It's not; in fact the opposite is true - Mac developers have been begging Apple to bring some of UIKit's more modern controls and design patterns over to the Mac.

The reason a few people still go on about iOS being a "mobile OS" is because they find they can't seem to do anything that would traditionally be classified as "work" on them (e.g. writing a report).

That's nothing to do with iOS itself - as iWork demonstrates, it is perfectly possible to build a full-featured editing suite using the available tools on iOS. The reason iWork still sucks is because those kinds of tasks are just fundamentally weak points of a touch device. It's not because developers are missing some section of the operating system that makes writing reports possible.

That's why Android hasn't filled that void for writing documents on tablets (or even phones); even with the slickest swype keyboard you wouldn't be doing 'work' primarily from an Android device.

The only thing Windows 8 has going for it is the Surface's very portable and easily attachable keyboard (and even then, that's a device feature not an ecosystem feature). Even then, the reviews for that keyboard seem to be that it's just 'okay'.

sfoalex
May 22, 2013, 09:18 PM

Office. I have both the Surface RT and the Surface Pro, and RT comes with Office. You get Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote. And they are all desktop apps that run in the familiar Windows 8 desktop.

Surface Pro is a full blown PC in the form factor of a tablet. It puts all other tablets to shame as it is an intel core i5. It is extremely fast and once you get used to it, ipad, which I have two of, and every other tab, which I have many, feel slow and stupid.

The base apps in metro are pretty darn good. Simple things like the Bing Travel, or financial apps are better than any app I ever bought on any other tablet. I think a lot of you are talking out of your you-know-whats. Having a full blown computer in tablet form with a Wacom digitizer is awesome. Especially for things like Sketchbook Pro. Basically, it's Cintiq, only better, lighter and all in one.

Verbatim Cookie
May 22, 2013, 09:27 PM
Hi, I'm a Surface,

...and I'm an iPad

iPad w/ cover = $550

The Surface Pro isn't what you'd compare to the iPad. That thing is a laptop with a touch screen, essentially. They compare the iPad to the regular Surface in the ad like it should be.

So the ad is telling us that Surface is good for boring drudgery like PowerPoint, while iPad is good for making music.
RTFA That ain't a Surface Anything in the spot, it's an ASUS VivoTab Smart. :rolleyes:

KPOM
May 22, 2013, 09:31 PM
Wrong target. Microsoft would do better by going after Android tablets. There's a certain percentage of the population who won't buy anything Apple. Android has a virtual monopoly on that now. Apple customers, by contrast, tend to be loyal.

Tankmaze
May 22, 2013, 09:32 PM
LOL, I actually liking this. its the most apple-y commercial from microsoft. just like apple would have done if they are the underdog.

Verbatim Cookie
May 22, 2013, 09:33 PM

Quoted for teh lulz :D

P.S. The Apple-bashing spots that seem to get the most attention, as far as I see, are Samsung's. Samsung isn't an American company.

KPOM
May 22, 2013, 09:34 PM
Surface Pro is a full blown PC in the form factor of a tablet. It puts all other tablets to shame as it is an intel core i5. It is extremely fast and once you get used to it, ipad, which I have two of, and every other tab, which I have many, feel slow and stupid.

But Surface Pro also has laptop battery life and weighs 2 lbs. I'm quite happy with my 13" rMBP (previously 11.6" MBA) and iPad mini combo. The iPad mini is more than enough for what I need it for (reading the paper on the subway, reading books and PDFs, playing music, light browsing, maps), and for the rest my notebooks take care of that. A Surface Pro is too small to be a decent laptop and too big to be a decent tablet.

skaertus
May 22, 2013, 09:36 PM
Great ad. Just great. Better than any ad Apple has done for the iPad. If Apple did it with Microsoft with the "I'm a PC, I'm a Mac" ads, why can't Microsoft do it with Apple now?

calderone
May 22, 2013, 09:41 PM
MS is dead on.

Apple needs to step it up.

safford1977
May 22, 2013, 09:41 PM
And after watching some of the Tax Strategy testimony it was revealed that Microsoft doesn't pay US income tax on any domestic profits where as apple does (but only on domestic profits). So it's easy to see why a Microsoft based product produced by a foreign company can be brought to market at a much reduced price.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/21/apple-ceo-tim-cook-and-cfo-peter-oppenheimer-testify-in-front-of-senate-committee-on-tax-strategies-live/

gmanist1000
May 22, 2013, 09:45 PM

Apple should actually give the iPad and iPad mini visual multitasking, not just background apps. They got it right and didn't make a PC then call it a tablet like MS did, but it could use a little more power.

Hopefully we will see something in iOS 7.

avanpelt
May 22, 2013, 10:04 PM
There are some good points made in the ad. However, this doesn't make me want to go out and buy a Windows 8 tablet. I love my iPad for what it is; and I'm ok with what it can't do right now.

I am hopeful, though, that iOS 7 will demonstrate to the masses once again that Apple is able to create a truly great user experience that is head and shoulders above what anyone else is doing with tablets right now. The competition is getting very cocky and the time is right for Apple to leapfrog ahead of everyone else once again.

theone09
May 22, 2013, 10:09 PM
Wrong target. Microsoft would do better by going after Android tablets. There's a certain percentage of the population who won't buy anything Apple. Android has a virtual monopoly on that now. Apple customers, by contrast, tend to be loyal.

correctly!

VanillaCracker
May 22, 2013, 10:23 PM

You sir, have terrible opinions.

Please think about how advertising works for a minute, and then reflect on how stupid you sound.

teknikal90
May 22, 2013, 10:25 PM
eventually, people will want to do two things at a time on a tablet.
Eventually, people will want to look at a tablet and use it to replace the laptop
Microsoft's Windows 8 is geared and is looking forward to that turning point.

iOS isn't. It's still at the very core, a blown up phone OS.

That's why this ad is good.

Sent from my iPad

Jessica Lares
May 22, 2013, 10:25 PM
I thought it was pretty funny. Although it's probably going to make people want the iPad more. :o

marksman
May 22, 2013, 10:27 PM
I caught this earlier today. Was cute/funny but other than knowing Microsoft was involved and telling me the obvious that Microsoft sells Microsoft office it did not function well as a promotional ad for whatever they were attempting to sell.

tech4all
May 22, 2013, 10:28 PM

That was true years ago...now they just sue.

(First, I have to say that I am a huge Apple fan.)

Now, let's get to business. No, they really aren't Pwned.

I cannot stand when Apple fans try to throw the number of apps in people's faces. Why? Because it is the exact same tactic that PC fans used against the Mac in the late 90s and early 2000s. "Windows has more software titles....blah, blah, blah." And, the retort from Mac fans back then was "sost Windows software titles are junk."

Same story today, just roles reversed. Hypocrisy.

Haha :D

max.cohen
May 22, 2013, 10:33 PM
The funniest part of this commercial is that Keynote blows the doors off of PowerPoint.

FirstNTenderbit
May 22, 2013, 10:49 PM
Funny. That's two in a row for MS; Apple/Samsung Fanboy Ad and this. Me thinks somebody hired a new Ad Agency.

I've noticed something odd in the comments.

1. People are saying "Surface" and making comparisons. Why? This isn't a Surface. It's an Asus tablet.

2. People are complaining because the Ad compares the price of a 2nd tier iPad with the Asus tablet. 64GB v 64GB. Would it have been more fair to compare a 32GB iPad? I could see an argument had they compared the price of a top of the line cellular version. As comparisons go, it's apples to apples (pun intended)

3. People are saying the Ad is targeted incorrectly. I think it's targeted perfectly for it's intended audience: businesses. It looks as if MS was trying to position the iPad as a toy and the Asus tablet as a productivity device. If that was their goal they did a fairly decent job.

Just my opinion. Could be right... or wrong. Either way it was funny enough to make me inwardly chuckle.

----------

So Microsoft is now taunting Apple rewind or fast forward to about 1 min and 04 sec in the Apple VS PC ads of yesteryear http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5z0Ia5jDt4

This is the funniest thing about the ad. MS basically took everything Apple said in the PC vs Mac ads, turn it 180 degrees and made it a positive. It was good ad. Will it drive purchases? Only time will tell.

Anti-Lucifer
May 22, 2013, 10:52 PM
The dig on the iPad playing chopsticks is hilarious. But only the dumb will fall for the message in this ad:

Who buys an iPad to run power point and to do multitasking because for sure I don't. It's the same pc Microsoft culture that came up with this ad in the first place.

You see how the ad features no games, no FaceTime, no iMessage, no photo streams, no iMovie/pinnacle studios movie editing, no airplay, no iCloud sync, essentially all the great stuff you CAN do on an iPad that iPad buyers want in the first place.

In the end, I'd still never buy the surface. It's a joke vs an iPad.

bgillander
May 22, 2013, 10:54 PM
The article is incorrect in that the Vivotab Smart is not Windows RT, so it does not include built in Office apps. It is a Windows 8 device, so you get a trial of Office 2010, but need to buy it if you want to keep using it.

In fairness to the ad, they have very fine print that says "features may vary by device."

The Vivotab Smart is actually very nice, especially for the price, but I think I still use my iPad more for browsing. VLC and the microSD card slot is nice for just being able to quickly throw any media on the tablet, though, without having to worry about syncing or downloading from the cloud.

FirstNTenderbit
May 22, 2013, 11:12 PM
The dig on the iPad playing chopsticks is hilarious. But only the dumb will fall for the message in this ad:

Who buys an iPad to run power point and to do multitasking because for sure I don't. It's the same pc Microsoft culture that came up with this ad in the first place.

You see how the ad features no games, no FaceTime, no iMessage, no photo streams, no iMovie/pinnacle studios movie editing, no airplay, no iCloud sync, essentially all the great stuff you CAN do on an iPad that iPad buyers want in the first place. (emphasis mine)

In the end, I'd still never buy the surface. It's a joke vs an iPad.

You missed the point of the ad completely. :( They intentionally didn't feature the things I bolded from your comment. The ad is targeted to the business community, not the general consuming public.

rtomyj
May 22, 2013, 11:14 PM

Haha :D

Alright name a company they have sued in the past 8 month?

gotluck
May 22, 2013, 11:19 PM
This asus tablet looks pretty good, with a nice price.

I'm skeptical if the atom processor is powerful enough for full windows 8 though.

With time, this could be great. I wouldn't mind full windows 8 on my phone one day either - talk about getting unchained from one's desk.

toaster64
May 22, 2013, 11:23 PM
Eventually, people will want to look at a tablet and use it to replace the laptop
Microsoft's Windows 8 is geared and is looking forward to that turning point.

iOS isn't. It's still at the very core, a blown up phone OS.

That's why this ad is good.

Sent from my iPad

It can't be both without sucking. The iPad does everything a non-advanced user could need. The Surface is more of a regular laptop that is made obsolete by already-existing laptops. Really all MS is doing is responding to the whole BS "PCs are dead" thing that's been hurting their stock.

----------

You missed the point of the ad completely. :( They intentionally didn't feature the things I bolded from your comment. The ad is targeted to the business community, not the general consuming public.

The business community can just use laptops, and they do. Why would they need a touch screen laptop instead of a regular one? I don't care what comes out; iWork and Office will work on my MacBook.

----------

Shilling as usual, I see.

oaba09
May 22, 2013, 11:25 PM
Most people use their ipad as a consumption device.....i use mine mostly for web browsing and videos...i do work related stuff on my notebook......although windows pro tablets can do more, i still prefer the ipad because of the significant advantage in terms of app availability..

FirstNTenderbit
May 22, 2013, 11:26 PM
The article is incorrect in that the Vivotab Smart is not Windows RT, so it does not include built in Office apps. It is a Windows 8 device, so you get a trial of Office 2010, but need to buy it if you want to keep using it.

In fairness to the ad, they have very fine print that says "features may vary by device."

The Vivotab Smart is actually very nice, especially for the price, but I think I still use my iPad more for browsing. VLC and the microSD card slot is nice for just being able to quickly throw any media on the tablet, though, without having to worry about syncing or downloading from the cloud.

Wrong. A little research would keep you from spreading incorrect information. It runs on the x86 architecture. You may be thinking of the Asus VivoTab RT. Different machine.

toaster64
May 22, 2013, 11:27 PM

Nobody buys an iPad for multi-tasking because it can't do it (except for background apps) ;)

I can see it being useful. Why not let users send messages while doing something else on the iPad? It's got a big enough screen, and it's convenient to do that. I don't think it needs to be able to run entire apps side-by-side, but it needs some things like messaging while in an app.

syd430
May 22, 2013, 11:29 PM
"A contraption that can do anything and everything, but nothing particularly well, is better than a focused and restrained device like an ipad". Got it.

toaster64
May 22, 2013, 11:31 PM

America or Microsoft? It's called advertising, and Microsoft's ad is actually NOT exceptionally misleading and full of BS like their ads normally are.

Besides, nobody buys that junk. Get over it.

FirstNTenderbit
May 22, 2013, 11:33 PM
edited

toaster64
May 22, 2013, 11:34 PM

Microsoft isn't in the position to do so. It's a software company. Also, I agree about the population that avoids Apple. They're the people who get mad at you for using Apple devices rather than the people who just mind their own business and use mostly non-Apple products.

LOLZpersonok
May 22, 2013, 11:37 PM

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/148841-how-to-run-normal-x86-windows-apps-on-your-windows-rt-tablet

toaster64
May 22, 2013, 11:38 PM
While Apple has had innovation, they still did the Mac vs. PC ads. I thought the ad was nice but in the end the better product will prevail. Let's see.

No, Android is just going to continue to kill Microsoft's tablet business while the other fraction uses the iPad. There are the cheap, add-every-feature, flexible OSs and the uniform, walled garden OSs. Microsoft is the third group, like Linux in the PC world. And then there's Blackberry against Apple for their side of the market, but nobody buys Blackberry anymore.

LOLZpersonok
May 22, 2013, 11:38 PM
Desktop apps on Windows RT? Are you serious? Windows RT can only run apps from the Windows Store.

It's not native but the mere fact that it's possible is cool.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/148841-how-to-run-normal-x86-windows-apps-on-your-windows-rt-tablet

legrandgazou
May 22, 2013, 11:39 PM
Seems to me the average consumer will see this ad and think how cool it is they can play the piano on their iPad. People want to do fun things on their tablet not edit PowerPoint documents.

Absolutely! The last I want to do on a tablet is use Power Point. And for musicians, iOS is definitely the way to go. There is so much amazing music creation software on the App Store...

rtomyj
May 22, 2013, 11:40 PM
It can't be both without sucking. The iPad does everything a non-advanced user could need. The Surface is more of a regular laptop that is made obsolete by already-existing laptops. Really all MS is doing is responding to the whole BS "PCs are dead" thing that's been hurting their stock.

----------

The business community can just use laptops, and they do. Why would they need a touch screen laptop instead of a regular one? I don't care what comes out; iWork and Office will work on my MacBook.

----------

Shilling as usual, I see.

Yes. People miss the point when they say that tablets will eventually overtake the laptop. It is simply not true in upcoming years. All the things professionals need is already handled beautifully on a laptop. They are getting thinner as well so portability is not an issue.

So you want to edit docs? Oh your in a crowded bus or train can't pull out the old tablet and get the nice keyboard out. Try to type efficiently on a 10 inch tablet.

But it has multitasking!
Ok. That's cool. But why need multitasking? Getting info from one source and editing a doc? Ok well that's amazing but again when you will actually need to multitask you will need to sit. When already sitting down you can just place a laptop on a table.

Other than that I use multitasking on my laptop for coding... I'm not gonna program long code on a tablet, sorry.

Any other professional uses that aren't artistic? Since even this commercial admits the iPad excels at it. Even then it can be handled on a laptop much, much better. Thus tablets are for quick editing not long sessions of creativity.

Having said that. Funny commercial, haha.

maxwelltech
May 22, 2013, 11:40 PM
Advertised storage capacity: 64GB
Actual storage capacity: about 30GB???

FirstNTenderbit
May 22, 2013, 11:41 PM
It can't be both without sucking. The iPad does everything a non-advanced user could need. The Surface is more of a regular laptop that is made obsolete by already-existing laptops. Really all MS is doing is responding to the whole BS "PCs are dead" thing that's been hurting their stock.[COLOR="#808080"]

----------

The business community can just use laptops, and they do. Why would they need a touch screen laptop instead of a regular one? I don't care what comes out; iWork and Office will work on my MacBook.[COLOR="#808080"]

----------

The business community can use smoke signals or sign language if they choose to do so. It's irrelevant as it relates to the topic of my post. That's not the point I was making. My comment directly related to the target of the ad: The ad is targeted to the business community, not the general consuming public. As I stated earlier, whether businesses buy it or not will only be determined over time.

legrandgazou
May 22, 2013, 11:44 PM

Yep! That's right! :D

Karma*Police
May 22, 2013, 11:54 PM
Great ad. Terrible product.

Liquorpuki
May 22, 2013, 11:55 PM
It's the same story on iOS. Pages on iOS has everything necessary, and Numbers sucks. Have you actually tried the iOS Pages and found things that people would need that it doesn't have?

Yeah I bought almost every first party app available for my iPad 1 including all 3 iWork apps. I used Pages to proofread my girlfriend's grad school papers for a year for lack of anything better on my iPad. I now refer to it as 10 Dollar Wordpad.

And I'm an engineer, back then all I wanted was a word processor with a built-in equation editor but none existed. Last I checked a standalone app existed to create equations, which I would then have to go through a bunch of import export steps to get it into 10 Dollar Wordpad.

And you wonder why people don't consider the iPad a productivity device

Schmitty11
May 23, 2013, 12:10 AM
Not a half bad ad. I think Windows 8 looks nice on tablets.

macgeek01
May 23, 2013, 12:34 AM
I'm an Apple fanboy and have never been a big fan of the iPad. I go from my iPhone to my 11" MacBook Air. If you want to be more productive with your tablet that you want to be more like a laptop then why not just use a laptop? (PC, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS, whatever) If you are truly serious about using a device for business, music, design, whatever then why mess with a tablet in the first place?

I think the demographic Microsoft is looking for is a small minority. People mainly want a tablet for entertainment. It urks me that Apple is adding iOS elements to Mac OS. If I wanted an iPad then I would use an iPad. I guess someday there will be some hybrid system that combines both worlds well but I think it's still a long way off.

It's good to see Microsoft being ambitious and innovative with their metro interface but it isn't intuitive to also throw it on top of non touch systems with Windows 8. Their biggest customer base is PC and they've managed to piss off the majority of them because of this.
This is a shame because it will probably turn off a lot of them from wanting to try Windows 8 on a touch device where the metro interface works well. At least Apple hasn't gone this extreme with Mac OS (at least not yet anyway). I guess I'm part old school and new school and like keeping both worlds separate.

teknikal90
May 23, 2013, 12:38 AM
It can't be both without sucking. The iPad does everything a non-advanced user could need. The Surface is more of a regular laptop that is made obsolete by already-existing laptops. Really all MS is doing is responding to the whole BS "PCs are dead" thing that's been hurting their stock.[COLOR="#808080"]

----------

says who? the maker of iPads? lol.
Things advance and consolidate. Dumb phones were fine, and so were PDAs. Dumb phones did everything a non-advanced user could ever need. But at some point, they still converged and created smartphones. and iPhone doesn't suck.
that is the trend that we're seeing. Fact: PC market is receding and tablets are increasing in popularity. Eventually, one will eat the otehr and they will converge.
Hence, there is a need for tablets to replace the capabilities lost by users as they move away from PCs and towards iPads and tablets. Right now, the iPad isn't ready for that inevitable evolution: its structure is single app at a time oriented. Multitasking is really just tacked on.
Yes, Windows 8 may not have the most classy solution. Maybe it's there to beat. However, they are moving proactively and are seeing that eventually, people don't wont to sit at their desk to do their computing work anymore, they want their tablets to do everything.
Unless Apple figures this out, as users begin to really abandon PCs as their every day devices and onto tablets, the iPad will be caught flat footed by its lack of capabilities. Heck, right now, if I see a file I want to download, a simple request, I would be beaten and would have to put down my iPad and go upstairs to the Mac.
iOS 7, 8 or 9 may change all this, and I hope they do.

FightTheFuture
May 23, 2013, 12:41 AM

go iPad!

The iPad camera doesn't have a flash.

By the way, GorillaZ used the iPad to make their new album. You should check out which apps they used on the iPad to make it.

bgillander
May 23, 2013, 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgillander

Wrong. A little research would keep you from spreading incorrect information. It runs on the x86 architecture. You may be thinking of the Asus VivoTab RT. Different machine.

Maybe you should actually read a comment before correcting it.

My comment is correct since I actually stated that it is NOT an RT device, which is why it doesn't have built in Office RT! Of course it runs x86, since I said it runs Windows 8, Not RT.

Geez man, how can you actually quote someone, yell "Wrong.", and then restate the same thing they stated in the quote you used, all the while accusing them of spreading incorrect information. That takes some incredibly ironic lack of reading skills and tact.

GerritV
May 23, 2013, 12:48 AM
Where is it written that a tablet should be for fun only?
I like this add and the product, seems like it lets you get some work done.
Work can be fun, and it pays the iToys :D

iMikeT
May 23, 2013, 12:49 AM
It's nice to see Windows 8 running on the type of device it's actually designed for. Whereas the desktop or notebook implementation seems to be an afterthought. The guys in Redmond should have taken Apple's approach on this and implemented one approach with the user interface of the desktop and another with mobile devices.

Purant
May 23, 2013, 01:07 AM
It's nice to see Windows 8 running on the type of device it's actually designed for. Whereas the desktop or notebook implementation seems to be an afterthought. The guys in Redmond should have taken Apple's approach on this and implemented one approach with the user interface of the desktop and another with mobile devices.

I have to agree. My first experience with Windows 8 was on a desktop computer and I really, really, hated the metro UI. When I eventually saw it on a tablet I thought "Oh, ok, this makes sense, this is pretty cool actually".

They mismanaged windows 8 a lot I think.

Applefanboy8153
May 23, 2013, 01:18 AM

iWork is way better than MSoffice especially Keynote....Ppt sux. I have to although agree that excel is better than numbers. Pages is not 10$ wordpad because it can do all the stuff Word can do and even more.

Liquorpuki
May 23, 2013, 01:27 AM

By the way, GorillaZ used the iPad to make their new album. You should check out which apps they used on the iPad to make it.

You don't need an LED for a camera app

And you can record an album on a cassette player by overdub. In the end its nothing more than a pet project so you can say you did it

----------

iWork is way better than MSoffice especially Keynote....Ppt sux. I have to although agree that excel is better than numbers. Pages is not 10$ wordpad because it can do all the stuff Word can do and even more.

Not on iOS it can't. And since we're talking tablets we're talking iOS

irnchriz
May 23, 2013, 01:27 AM
Runs a dual core atom chip, erm .... No thanks. Touchscreen netbook pos

Applefanboy8153
May 23, 2013, 01:32 AM
correctly!
Apple iPad-60-70% of the tablet market
Androids-20-30%

Who would you go after???

----------

Alright name a company they have sued in the past 8 month?

Samsung, HTC, google, Microsoft and now they are fighting with the Government of the USA

Brenster
May 23, 2013, 01:33 AM
Office. I have both the Surface RT and the Surface Pro, and RT comes with Office. You get Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote. And they are all desktop apps that run in the familiar Windows 8 desktop.

The base apps in metro are pretty darn good. Simple things like the Bing Travel, or financial apps are better than any app I ever bought on any other tablet. I think a lot of you are talking out of your you-know-whats. Having a full blown computer in tablet form with a Wacom digitizer is awesome. Especially for things like Sketchbook Pro. Basically, it's Cintiq, only better, lighter and all in one.

Slightly off topic but can I ask how the Surface virtual keyboard is? All the reviews, promo vids etc all show Surface being used in conjunction with either the Touch or Type covers - fair enough when it comes to Office work etc. None of them show the Surface being used in pure tablet mode - entering URLs into Metro/Modern IE using an on screen, virtual keyboard.

All the in-store demo units always have keyboard covers attached and I'm wary of setting alarms off by detatching one then attempting to browse the web, go through the motions of typing an email etc without.

sulpfiction
May 23, 2013, 01:39 AM

They like to rub in the overused idea that Apple products are always more expensive by, in this case, using one of the highest spec-ed options and saying, "Look how expensive the iPad is

They were comparing it to a Similary specked Asus. Which is totally fair. Now if they were comparing a 64 gig iPad to a 16gig Asus, your point would make sense. But they weren't.

Simplicated
May 23, 2013, 01:39 AM
Does more... But also a lot more complicated to use.

Applefanboy8153
May 23, 2013, 01:44 AM
You don't need an LED for a camera app

And you can record an album on a cassette player by overdub. In the end its nothing more than a pet project so you can say you did it

----------

Not on iOS it can't. And since we're talking tablets we're talking iOS

Before I got a mac I had a Lenovo thinkpad and rather suffer the tyranny of the buggy software and the stupid uncreative MS Office 2007 I got an iPad put iWork on it and I loved it...it was easier to use and more productive...I saved hours on making presentations on keynote...I had effects that were never there on PPT. I say iWork beats MS Office anyday.

----------

Does only stuff you dont want to do....no fun stuff like iLife and games. The iPad on the other hand can handle pretty darn well both work stuff and your personal stuff. Also the simple UI of the iPad makes it more classy and appealing and classy, rather than the colorful bouncy Metro UI which looks plain silly and something businessmen would prefer not to use.

ryansimmons323
May 23, 2013, 01:51 AM
64gb that only under half of you actually get to use on the Surface. Plus, I think Microsoft is doing a good job to promote the iPad here, with the fact that they're telling people something not many know, that you can indeed produce presentations on an iPad.

Quu
May 23, 2013, 01:57 AM
Surface 64GB with the free space of an iPad 32GB.
Does more with 1/300th the available applications of the iPad.
Costs less while actually being twice as much if not crippled.

Yeah the surface really is amazing, it's bending reality better than Steve's distortion field ever did.

aloshka
May 23, 2013, 02:01 AM
This is now one of my favourite anti-apple adverts.

Just made me smile for some reason!

I love the ipad, but I agree. This was a good ad that made me laugh.

bgillander
May 23, 2013, 02:07 AM
Slightly off topic but can I ask how the Surface virtual keyboard is? All the reviews, promo vids etc all show Surface being used in conjunction with either the Touch or Type covers - fair enough when it comes to Office work etc. None of them show the Surface being used in pure tablet mode - entering URLs into Metro/Modern IE using an on screen, virtual keyboard.

All the in-store demo units always have keyboard covers attached and I'm wary of setting alarms off by detatching one then attempting to browse the web, go through the motions of typing an email etc without.

It's not bad. I'm typing this on the Vivotab Smart and you can choose between an all text keyboard like the iPad or a split keyboard with numbers in the middle... it looks like those split ergonomic keyboards with a number pad dropped in the middle. That is a bit weird and I'd prefer just a number row at the top of a standard keyboard layout, but it works okay and I like at least having that option for entering mixed numeric/text passwords or postal codes, since shifting is a pain for those.

The keyboard pops up automatically on the Metro side, but you have to pop it up manually on the desktop side. It's nice to have the desktop, but the OS definitely feels like a merger of two separate interfaces.

Renzatic
May 23, 2013, 02:22 AM
Any other professional uses that aren't artistic? Since even this commercial admits the iPad excels at it. Even then it can be handled on a laptop much, much better. Thus tablets are for quick editing not long sessions of creativity.

One of the Penny Arcade guys on using the Surface Pro (http://www.penny-arcade.com/2013/02/25/the-ms-surface-pro)

While he admits that he prefers using his big Cintiq when he's at home, he says it's an excellent machine for doing artwork and playing games on.

I think the Windows tablets, the Surface Pro in particular, hold a lot of promise. Yeah, it's true. MS failed with tablets back in the day. But there were many, many factors for that that aren't necessarily true today. Back then, tablets were heavy pin-only affairs with a battery that barely lasted an hour, cost a ton, and could only be special ordered. Now? The higher end iCore machines only weigh 2 pounds, get 4-5 hours battery life, and can be picked up at Wal-Mart for around $600-$1000 bucks. Unlike 10 years ago, the technology is just about ripe to make the perfect PC tablet.

Yeah, they do need some work. MS needs to make Windows even more touch friendly for one, and it does need to be a little lighter while lasting longer on a charge before it can truly compete head on with the iPad. But they're not bad machines. Far from it. If you want to do something high end on a tablet, they're the only way to go right now.

...and you better get used to doing more on a tablet. With an entire generation of kids growing up around touch instead of the good old mouse and keyboard, they're only going to become more prevalent as time goes on.

edit: Welcome to the future, people...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3018396/bigtablet.jpg

Brenster
May 23, 2013, 02:23 AM
It's not bad. I'm typing this on the Vivotab Smart and you can choose between an all text keyboard like the iPad or a split keyboard with numbers in the middle... it looks like those split ergonomic keyboards with a number pad dropped in the middle. That is a bit weird and I'd prefer just a number row at the top of a standard keyboard layout, but it works okay and I like at least having that option for entering mixed numeric/text passwords or postal codes, since shifting is a pain for those.

The keyboard pops up automatically on the Metro side, but you have to pop it up manually on the desktop side. It's nice to have the desktop, but the OS definitely feels like a merger of two separate interfaces.

Appreciate the thoughts.

Currently running Win8 via Bootcamp for the handful of Windows applications I need at home with Office 2013 (which I love, along with Office 2011:mac & Skydrive).

I'm a committed OneNote user at work, Evernote at home on mac+iOS. The Surface Pro with Wacom stylus+Onenote metro and desktop+a decent virtual keyboard could well be my 'killer app'. I use Evernote very heavily on the iPad; having OneNote be as useful with a Surface in tablet mode with the stylus rather than laptop mode....

Now, if only Microsoft would update/improve their iOS OneNote app to use the iPhone 5 screen if nothing else. Parity with their excellent Skydrive iOS app would be much appreciated.

Arbuthnott
May 23, 2013, 02:23 AM
Good for a laugh.

Note that Keynote on the iPad is great, and yes it is file compatible with PowerPoint. Not sure how this is a flaw

The "multitasking" would be more convincing if the demonstration had shown a user doing multiple things simultaneously. Otherwise all it is showing is more stuff on the screen.

Final "flaw" is that the iPad is good not only for serious applications but also for a lot more. I suppose that part of that "flaw" is over 100x more apps than the Microsoft tablet thing.

On the above basis, the best that Microsoft could recommend would be to buy their device and an iPad to do everything other than run Office Bloatware.

Multiple tablets anyone? No - I agree. Why bother? Keep trying, Microsoft. Competition is good, and we are patiently waiting to see some.

roadbloc
May 23, 2013, 02:24 AM
iPad apps? 300,000

Windows? 3000

Pwned.

Not really. OS X doesn't have anywhere near the amount of apps Windows has, but it has still always managed fine since nobody in their right mind would need 3,000 apps, never mind 300,000.

iMikeT
May 23, 2013, 02:41 AM
I have to agree. My first experience with Windows 8 was on a desktop computer and I really, really, hated the metro UI. When I eventually saw it on a tablet I thought "Oh, ok, this makes sense, this is pretty cool actually".

They mismanaged windows 8 a lot I think.

"Mismanaged" is an understatement. Remember, the guy in charge of Windows 8 development was fired shortly after its release.

You pretty much had the same experience I did when I first tried Windows 8. My initial thought was, "Why in the hell did Microsoft slap a tablet interface for the desktop/notebook version of their operating system? Were they trying to reinvent the wheel with this monstrosity?"

Apple is equally guilty of doing such a thing with 10.8 Mountain Lion, though, to a lesser degree. They did slap iOS user interface features into OS X but did not force the user to use it to the extent Microsoft did, luckily. Apple knew to draw the line somewhere. Of course, only time will tell with how much 10.9 will be riddled with more iOSification or if they stay true to form.

twotwo11
May 23, 2013, 02:55 AM
The Microsoft Surface wasn't in the video or article:confused:. It was an Asus tablet.:rolleyes:

zombierunner
May 23, 2013, 02:57 AM
Oh snap

AppleMark
May 23, 2013, 03:03 AM
Good Ad.

Not sold on it personally, but a good dig at the iPad.

d4zza
May 23, 2013, 03:10 AM
To be honest, I intentionally purchased my iPad for entertainment. I'd never consider using a tablet for productivity.

I'll stick to my iPad for entertainment and my laptop for productivity thank you Microsoft!

Mike MA
May 23, 2013, 03:22 AM
Yesterday I also watched an ad where Amazon's Kindle HD was compared to the iPad.

Apple should start to fire back on a subtile basis, I mean market share is declining. I like competition though.

MonkeySee....
May 23, 2013, 03:33 AM
Apple ad: This is what our product does

Others: Look how much the iPad doesn't do compared to ours. Look, LOOK at the comparison. See, we're better right? Hey, where are you going??

----------

Yesterday I also watched an ad where Amazon's Kindle HD was compared to the iPad.

Apple should start to fire back on a subtile basis, I mean market share is declining. I like competition though.

Market share is decling but their sales aren't.

$100/$200 tablets will of course sell well. Its inevitable.

iSayuSay
May 23, 2013, 03:35 AM
iPad w/ cover = $550

Surface Pro w/keyboard and Core i5 CPU, 4GB RAM, microSD, USB3, 64GB SSD = $1100
iPad with w/cover and A6 SoC, 1GB RAM, 16GB Flash, Lightning port, and nothing else = $550

Not saying Surface Pro is cheap, but you compare it wrong. Add those features on the iPad and see how much that thing would cost?

:not so confused:

SILen(e
May 23, 2013, 03:44 AM
The ASUS VivoTab Smart as shown in the ad has a free storage of 34.3gb out of the box, according to http://techreport.com/review/24720/asus-vivotab-smart-me400c-tablet-reviewed/4.

The 64gb iPad will have about 25gigs more available storage space.

The ATOM CPU in the VivoTab Smart is too slow to run any really demanding Windows programs, so while you could run Left4Dead, nobody will do it, because it's unplayable.

Metro games will probably run worse than on a Windows RT device, due to the higher demands of the real Windows 8 running on the device and the crappy GPU in the ATOM chip.

Combine that with the lack of touch-friendly regular Windows programs and the benefit of the theoretically higher number of Windows programs disappears and you have a device that has to use the small number of Metro apps - and it does that worse than a Windows RT tablet.

tmoerel
May 23, 2013, 03:55 AM
Surface Pro w/keyboard and Core i5 CPU, 4GB RAM, microSD, USB3, 64GB SSD = $1100
iPad with w/cover and A6 SoC, 1GB RAM, 16GB Flash, Lightning port, and nothing else = $550

When will people get it that it is not the specs which matter but what the user can do with the device!

szw-mapple fan
May 23, 2013, 03:59 AM

Owned(autocorrected)

Why don't you just get Win7 if that's all Win8 is good for?

johnnyinternets
May 23, 2013, 03:59 AM

Plenty of musicians use random junk for instruments. Whats your point?

Renzatic
May 23, 2013, 04:02 AM
Metro games will probably run worse than on a Windows RT device, due to the higher demands of the real Windows 8 running on the device and the crappy GPU in the ATOM chip.

Metro games will probably run better, as they're specced to run on the lowest common denominator, which in this case would be ARM chips. Atom SOCs are slightly ahead of ARM in terms of performance.

szw-mapple fan
May 23, 2013, 04:02 AM

Not saying Surface Pro is cheap, but you compare it wrong. Add those features on the iPad and see how much that thing would cost?

iPad 300,000 apps. Win8 50,000 apps

:confused again:

Purant
May 23, 2013, 04:10 AM

I really love it when people use this argument.

:remembers the various excuses heard by mac advocates when Windows users used the more software argument:

UBS28
May 23, 2013, 04:16 AM

iWorks sucks. I got it on my iPad and it isn't fully compatible with the OS X version. So how can I work on a document on my iPad and Mac? :mad:

SILen(e
May 23, 2013, 04:27 AM
Metro games will probably run better, as they're specced to run on the lowest common denominator, which in this case would be ARM chips. Atom SOCs are slightly ahead of ARM in terms of performance.

The CPU in the Intel Atom is faster than the CPU of a Tegra 3, BUT - the GPU sucks in comparison to the one in the Tegra 3.

And the GPU of the Tegra 3 sucks in comparison to the one in the iPad 2 and every device that followed.

Like it has been with withe Motorola Razr i, the Android phone with an Intel Atom SoC.

CPU performance was a lot better than that of other phones, but the graphics performance really sucked.

^VE1N
May 23, 2013, 04:36 AM

Surface Pro dimensions - 10.81 x 6.81 x 0.53in + 0.128 in (keyboard) -1100$$$
MacBook Air 11, i5 4Gb, SSD 64 GB, aluminium body, can run win xp, 7 etc. (already with keyboard) dimensions - 11.8 x 7.56 x 0.68in - 1000$$$

You just can't compare it to iPad coz surface is a hybrid of a tablet and ultrabook. Apple doesn't do hybrids, only pure products :apple:

ebatalha
May 23, 2013, 04:47 AM
Again… M$ doesn't evolve… Another style PC but with touch capacitive… That's not evolution.
Real Multitasking on a tablet will suck the battery faster.
M$ will always try to put a desktop PC environment on everything, and that sucks too much. They don't have the design knowledge.

aditya apple
May 23, 2013, 04:57 AM
Well, though i posess an ipad 3, i would prefer a windows tab for using office and as i have been habituated using windows.Gaming and using other apps is wonderful on ios though. Apple's ios is extremely compact . It has not given the common and essential BLUEETOOTH sharing feature to its devices. I hope IOs 7 will give a good fight to the other operating systems. GOD Bless APPLE INC.

l3it3r
May 23, 2013, 05:00 AM

Not natively, and even if you do run an x86 emulator/wrapper on the RT, you're going to get poor performance compared to the Pro or x86 tablet equivelents like the one in this ad.
Microsoft will not get any money from me anymore though. Played that game for far too long.

aditya apple
May 23, 2013, 05:02 AM

MacBook Air 11, i5 4Gb, SSD 64 GB, aluminium body, can run win xp, 7 etc. (already with keyboard) dimensions - 11.8 x 7.56 x 0.68in - 1000$$$

You just can't compare it to iPad coz surface is a hybrid of a tablet and ultrabook. Apple doesn't do hybrids, only pure products

Ilike your comment very much

osofast240sx
May 23, 2013, 05:02 AM
Microsoft rt and pro laptops are without a keyboard. They are too small to be a laptop and too big to be a tablet. Microsoft just does not get it. Last thing I want on my tablet is malware!!!

Winni
May 23, 2013, 05:09 AM
"Mismanaged" is an understatement. Remember, the guy in charge of Windows 8 development was fired shortly after its release.

The guy in charge of Apple Maps (and iOS) was also fired shortly after its disastrous release...

osofast240sx
May 23, 2013, 05:18 AM
The guy in charge of Apple Maps (and iOS) was also fired shortly after its disastrous release...
He was fired because he was disruptive and a first class jerk. No one wanted to work with him.

spazzcat
May 23, 2013, 05:25 AM
The iPad does run OSX.

The only thing missing is AppKit - the set of common controls like NSButton, NSWindow, etc. Those things make no sense on a touch device.

Apple could easily port AppKit to iOS, if it were very much in demand. It's not; in fact the opposite is true - Mac developers have been begging Apple to bring some of UIKit's more modern controls and design patterns over to the Mac.

The reason a few people still go on about iOS being a "mobile OS" is because they find they can't seem to do anything that would traditionally be classified as "work" on them (e.g. writing a report).

That's nothing to do with iOS itself - as iWork demonstrates, it is perfectly possible to build a full-featured editing suite using the available tools on iOS. The reason iWork still sucks is because those kinds of tasks are just fundamentally weak points of a touch device. It's not because developers are missing some section of the operating system that makes writing reports possible.

That's why Android hasn't filled that void for writing documents on tablets (or even phones); even with the slickest swype keyboard you wouldn't be doing 'work' primarily from an Android device.

The only thing Windows 8 has going for it is the Surface's very portable and easily attachable keyboard (and even then, that's a device feature not an ecosystem feature). Even then, the reviews for that keyboard seem to be that it's just 'okay'.

You know you can attach a keyboard to an iPad, also, people have been using iPad as their only computer for work for at lease two years now and using Office. The only reason you can't install Office on the iPad and not use it through remote desktop is because MS hasn't made it yet. Also, there are several apps that allow you to create Word docs on the iPad without using remote desktop, but the issue is you can't do any fancy layout, but you can create a report with them without issue.

----------

iWorks sucks. I got it on my iPad and it isn't fully compatible with the OS X version. So how can I work on a document on my iPad and Mac? :mad:

If you have Office on your Mac, then try Quickoffice Connect Mobile Suite for iPad...

----------

Apple iPad-60-70% of the tablet market
Androids-20-30%

Who would you go after???

----------

Samsung, HTC, google, Microsoft and now they are fighting with the Government of the USA

First they are not fight with the US Gov, second which one of those companies sued first...

jm001
May 23, 2013, 05:31 AM
I use Excel for Mac all the time at work and IMHO it's a great app for desktops and laptops. From personal experience, I found it frustrating/awkward at times using Excel on a tablet without a physical keyboard and mouse. If you're going to be more comfortable with a keyboard and mouse then might as well get a laptop or desktop.

That aside, the ad was funny at the end. Personally I feel iOS and the iPad are more intuitive when it comes to touch based apps and the quality of apps out there for iOS simply outweighs any benefits that Windows 8 tablets may offer.

blackcrayon
May 23, 2013, 05:34 AM

You're right, because there isn't 100% feature parity, there is no way you can work on a document on your iPad and Mac. :rolleyes:

Steve121178
May 23, 2013, 05:48 AM
great ad, great points.

I agree. Surface Pro is amazing.

Prometheus2000
May 23, 2013, 05:52 AM
Like when Balmer did not understand the iPhone when it came out, MS still does not understand the tablet (despite doing Tablet PC for more then 10 year, what success so far...).

People do not use their computer privately for work all the time. Most stuff we do on our private computers is consume media (that includes documents, newspapers etc.) and games as well as comunicate. In that the iPad is great and the success proves Apple right.

MS just does not get it and trys its old failed concepts over and over again.

bushido
May 23, 2013, 05:56 AM
the ad is kinda funny watching it on mute lol especially the part with the moving metro UI followed by the frozen icon grid view of the ipad

i wish apple would "rethink" the whole hybrid concept of Dell etc. id love to be able to use OS X for work related things and once you rotate and flip over the screen, iOS takes over. maybe even make the screen detachable to turn it into a full blown ipad

osofast240sx
May 23, 2013, 05:58 AM
I agree. Surface Pro is amazing.
Laptop yep

Lancer
May 23, 2013, 06:07 AM
I'll be getting my first iPad soon, despite the faults.

But I love the video!

Maybe iOS7 will bring us multi-tasking :)

anomie
May 23, 2013, 06:07 AM

Errm.. This is just an ad and not the opinion of the us majority..
Anyway, Apple's decade is over and the definitely lose ground these days.
As the others Apple is just a company with ups and downs.

Steve121178
May 23, 2013, 06:33 AM
Like when Balmer did not understand the iPhone when it came out, MS still does not understand the tablet (despite doing Tablet PC for more then 10 year, what success so far...).

People do not use their computer privately for work all the time. Most stuff we do on our private computers is consume media (that includes documents, newspapers etc.) and games as well as comunicate. In that the iPad is great and the success proves Apple right.

MS just does not get it and trys its old failed concepts over and over again.

What don't they get? You never said.

donnaw
May 23, 2013, 06:45 AM
Yes. People miss the point when they say that tablets will eventually overtake the laptop. It is simply not true in upcoming years. All the things professionals need is already handled beautifully on a laptop. They are getting thinner as well so portability is not an issue.

So you want to edit docs? Oh your in a crowded bus or train can't pull out the old tablet and get the nice keyboard out. Try to type efficiently on a 10 inch tablet.

But it has multitasking!
Ok. That's cool. But why need multitasking? Getting info from one source and editing a doc? Ok well that's amazing but again when you will actually need to multitask you will need to sit. When already sitting down you can just place a laptop on a table.

Other than that I use multitasking on my laptop for coding... I'm not gonna program long code on a tablet, sorry.

Having said that. Funny commercial, haha.

Are you kidding?? I'm retired from IT management. I regularly had massive documents prepared for multimillion dollar projects. Those docs consisted of Excel spreadsheets with all the cost/manpower/etc data. I embedded links into a Word doc that explained the entire project. (You must have embedded links so if something changes you don't have to go find the reference in the do and make the change twice), and then there would be a PowerPoint that was used for presentations. Once the project is underway, you add in project data, mock-ups, requirements, etc. all linked back to the spreadsheet so you can determine rest costs.

Doing this takes having at least two windows open at the same time. Otherwise it takes forever and you are open to making mistakes (ie bad links/data). That is a big no-no and can cost you your job.

And this scenario applies to just about every business that does major documentation (financial docs, ect).

All of this can easily be done on any win8 tablet running the full OS.

Your ideas of how the world works and the types of documentation created seems very limited.

FirstNTenderbit
May 23, 2013, 06:50 AM
Maybe you should actually read a comment before correcting it.

My comment is correct since I actually stated that it is NOT an RT device, which is why it doesn't have built in Office RT! Of course it runs x86, since I said it runs Windows 8, Not RT.

Geez man, how can you actually quote someone, yell "Wrong.", and then restate the same thing they stated in the quote you used, all the while accusing them of spreading incorrect information. That takes some incredibly ironic lack of reading skills and tact.

Hey bud apologies for misinterpreting your post. My wife says I lack tact and you have emphatically proven her right. You and I were stating the same fact. Again, apologies. Maybe I jumped the gun and started typing before fully grasping what you meant. But help me. Re-read what you wrote:

The article is incorrect in that the Vivotab Smart is not Windows RT

Please keep in mind my aforementioned lack reading skills, but that 'not' before Windows RT means the opposite of what you meant to say. I probably just put my foot in my mouth again. More apologies in advance. Maybe I would have understood better if your quote didn't have that 'not':

"The article is incorrect in that the Vivotab Smart is Windows RT"

Again sorry.

AppleWarMachine
May 23, 2013, 07:01 AM
As I always say....you get what you pay for :D

needfx
May 23, 2013, 07:05 AM
RTFA

a BIT overdramatic maybe??

GoCubsGo
May 23, 2013, 07:09 AM
iPad apps? 300,000

Windows? 3000

Pwned.
So you really need 300,000 apps? I'd say more than 25% of those apps are useless.

Seems to me the average consumer will see this ad and think how cool it is they can play the piano on their iPad. People want to do fun things on their tablet not edit PowerPoint documents."People want?" No, people don't just want to do fun things on their iPad. People, would likely be thrilled to be even more productive with their iPads.

Seems like the ad is trying to communicate too much and point out too many flaws/differences. Apple's ads seem to focus on one point and communicate it elegantly.
Yes, Apple has really driven home the fact that we can play piano on our iPads. ;)

Sure, because using vanilla Windows apps on a tablet is great. :rolleyes:

Oh, and great autocorrect displaying your ignorance of the internet.
Opting out of the whole "pwned" crap has nothing to do with ignorance of the internet. Be real. :rolleyes:

By the way, GorillaZ used the iPad to make their new album. You should check out which apps they used on the iPad to make it.Before the iPhone had a flash there were flashlight apps. You may not have had an iPhone prior to the inclusion of the flash, but flashlights existed prior to the flash itself. They increased the brightness of the screen to 100%, which acted as a low-grade pseudo flashlight.

I didn't think so and I had never used Windows 8 prior to using a Surface.

I think the ad is wrong to some extent but of course, we don't have Office on the iPad. To point that out as a shortcoming of the iPad is lame because it is MS who hasn't developed it for iOS yet. They cripple users then poke fun for not having it. There is a great deal that can be done on the iPad but true multitasking is indeed lacking. The Samsung 10 (I believe) has implemented multitasking pretty well and Windows looks like it has done the same. I still favor Apple, but I'm not blindly wandering around thinking that it is the utopia of tablet computing.

Tiger8
May 23, 2013, 07:15 AM
iPad w/ cover = $550

Surface pro has an Intel processor, so you can't compare it to an iPad. If you want to be fair, do apples to apples (pun intended), iPad vs Surface RT. Also, compare units with similar storage, not a 16 GB iPad with 64 DB Surface.

BTW, i own an iPad and will never own a surface pro

Xiroteus
May 23, 2013, 07:19 AM
When it comes to the iPad vs Surface RT the iPad would win for me, Windows Surface Pro vs the iPad the Surface wins big time because it is what I would be looking for in a tablet however it still is in a different class because of the full OS and is more like a ultrabook.

Most vs ads from any company are always a bit silly as they only highlight a point or two when we all look at the overall ability of any device.

baryon
May 23, 2013, 07:19 AM
If I ever had to do anything in PowerPoint, that would only mean I've made a huge mistake in my life somewhere.

shiseiryu1
May 23, 2013, 07:22 AM
Boasting that there is no Powerpoint for iPad just makes me think Microsoft have been too lazy or protective to just get on and produce it. Chopsticks part is a nice dig though.

FYI Microsoft, Powerpoint is boring and sucks. Anyone who knows what's up knows to do a Prezi instead: www.prezi.com

iSayuSay
May 23, 2013, 07:27 AM

Yeah because you use and install 299,999 apps on your iPad, right?

You just can't compare it to iPad coz surface is a hybrid of a tablet and ultrabook. Apple doesn't do hybrids, only pure products :apple:

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm not the one who started comparing iPad and Surface Pro at the first place. Kill the original poster, would you?

Oh, and about :apple: only makes "pure" product?

Tell me what a Mac Mini is?
A desktop? Hardly, the inside is everything a laptop could have
A laptop? Last time I checked it doesn't have built in battery, does it?
A hybrid? Touche :cool:

Tronic
May 23, 2013, 07:28 AM
If the sound was muted, would you think it was an commercial promoting the iPad? An earlier comment about people wanting to do fun things on their tablets, ie play piano, made me realize this.

CEmajr
May 23, 2013, 07:34 AM
I still wouldn't buy either one, just don't have a practical use for a tablet but I thought it was a pretty good ad. Especially the chopsticks part at the end.

iGrip
May 23, 2013, 07:42 AM
The iPad had a good run. But so long as it will run only a cellphone-class OS, it will never be able to match a Windows 8 tablet.

Will the iPad ever catch up? Will apple release one with a computer-class OS?

RolyPolyBird
May 23, 2013, 07:46 AM
great ad, great points.

Agreed.

I can't understand why if a phone and macbook air can be so powerful why can't there be an option to run Mac OS on an iPad. Then I would finally be interested in buying one.

Terrin
May 23, 2013, 07:46 AM
For comparable hardware specs, the iPad does cost more than Microsoft's stuff. I think the iPad is reasonably priced, and then Microsoft goes cheap. But if you want cheap, there's Android! It's basically Windows but much, much better.

If I was going to ditch Apple, which I am not, I would go with Windows. Microsoft did a nice job with its OS, and it is not a clone of ios (like Android).

jmgregory1
May 23, 2013, 07:47 AM
Until, or if ever, MS designs their software to work with a touch based input, the idea of using a MS laplet to run their existing office software is anything but a good idea.

This is where MS just doesn't understand either the consumer or the technology. They really do seem to be floundering right now.

ugahairydawgs
Funny ad, just like the one they did with the Android and iOS people fighting.

Still doesn't make me want to buy one. The constantly updating live tiles in Windows 8 is just not interesting to me and outside of that I don't really see what the draw to the platform would be.

iGrip

I wish that they would instead lambaste Apple for their claims of being "Magical".

They could have a field day with that one.

Terrin
May 23, 2013, 07:49 AM
Agreed.

I can't understand why if a phone and macbook air can be so powerful why can't there be an option to run Mac OS on an iPad. Then I would finally be interested in buying one.

Battery life. Osx and iOs approach multitasking differently.

----------

The iPad had a good run. But so long as it will run only a cellphone-class OS, it will never be able to match a Windows 8 tablet.

Will the iPad ever catch up? Will apple release one with a computer-class OS?

What does that even mean?

iGrip
May 23, 2013, 07:50 AM

go iPad!

Be fair. There's also 50,000 public domain books packaged as "apps".

uknowimright
May 23, 2013, 07:54 AM
RTFA That ain't a Surface Anything in the spot, it's an ASUS VivoTab Smart. :rolleyes:

I love how people keep getting this wrong, they also seem to think this runs RT which is false it runs full Win 8 making the app # argument worthless

iGrip
May 23, 2013, 07:58 AM
Changing memory cards for anything else other than a camera seems so like April 2002

Your best bet is to get a 64 gig card and simply leave it in place. That way you have twice the memory of an iPad with no need to change the card.

Will Apple catch up and start offering 128 gigs of memory?

Skika
May 23, 2013, 08:00 AM
Your best bet is to get a 64 gig card and simply leave it in place. That way you have twice the memory of an iPad with no need to change the card.

Already done.

needfx
May 23, 2013, 08:04 AM

Already done.

yup

szw-mapple fan
May 23, 2013, 08:06 AM
Yeah because you use and install 299,999 apps on your iPad, right?

No because I get 300,000 apps to choose from rather than 60,000. And among those 300,000 there are exclusive for iPad apps I love that doesn't exist or work well (for now) on my HP Envyx2.

MOFS
May 23, 2013, 08:06 AM
:confused:Yeah because you use and install 299,999 apps on your iPad, right?

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm not the one who started comparing iPad and Surface Pro at the first place. Kill the original poster, would you?

Oh, and about :apple: only makes "pure" product?

Tell me what a Mac Mini is?
A desktop? Hardly, the inside is everything a laptop could have
A laptop? Last time I checked it doesn't have built in battery, does it?
A hybrid? Touche :cool:

A Mac mini is a headless Mac, aimed at people (like me) who want a cheap Mac. What kind of hybrid comes without a monitor, keyboard or mouse?

iGrip
May 23, 2013, 08:07 AM

You seem to be confusing the tablet under discussion with some other product that runs some other OS.

The tablet shown in the ad runs Windows 8. That is the same OS that would run on a corporate class workstation.

The OS that you are bringing up is akin to the cellphone-style OS that is used on the iPad.

ugahairydawgs
May 23, 2013, 08:08 AM
I wish that they would instead lambaste Apple for their claims of being "Magical".

They could have a field day with that one.

Hardly anyone outside of geeks and the tech media watch a keynote, so most folks wouldn't understand the magical reference.

szw-mapple fan
May 23, 2013, 08:10 AM

128 GB iPads are on sale starting this Feburary.

See:
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipad/compare

under "iPad with retina display"

EDIT: I see someone already beat me to it.

iGrip
May 23, 2013, 08:29 AM
i still prefer the ipad because of the significant advantage in terms of app availability..

That's so funny. Most people over the years bought Windows computers for that exact reason.

osofast240sx
May 23, 2013, 08:32 AM
Amazing how Samsung and Microsoft have to mention Apple in order to sell their own products.

iSayuSay
May 23, 2013, 08:34 AM
No because I get 300,000 apps to choose from rather than 60,000. And among those 300,000 there are exclusive for iPad apps I love that doesn't exist or work well (for now) on my HP Envyx2.

The way I see it, less apps = less chance of getting fart apps. How many iPad apps do you find really really useful of those 300,000 something? Plus Surface Pro could run any x86 apps while iPad can't run OSX apps.

Like I said, I'm not saying Surface Pro is cheap, but it has raw power, better potential and usability than iPad.
Given the same spec and features, iPad could end up way more expensive.

A Mac mini is a headless Mac, aimed at people (like me) who want a cheap Mac. What kind of hybrid comes without a monitor, keyboard or mouse?

Yeah.. And my point is Apple also makes non "pure" products. Contrary to OP's belief.

A desktop with laptop component? What would you call it then?

GoCubsGo
May 23, 2013, 08:36 AM
Amazing how Samsung and Microsoft have to mention Apple in order to sell their own products.

Umm Apple has done the same and did the same for a very long time.

iSayuSay
May 23, 2013, 08:49 AM
That's so funny. Most people over the years bought Windows computers for that exact reason.

So true.. So true..
Outside a so called "creative industry" it's hard to recall Mac and iOS computer usefulness anywhere.

Not to mention those creative workers could actually get the job done on a Windows computer if they want to, but of course it's less shiny and Aluminey ;)

needfx
May 23, 2013, 08:50 AM

Hi, I am DOS

...and I am Basic

Webduo
May 23, 2013, 09:10 AM
I don't know enough about Windows 8 to slam it - but the iPad is the perfect package. I do give the marketing guys credit on this one though as the commercial did make me laugh.

iGrip
May 23, 2013, 09:22 AM
128 GB iPads are on sale starting this Feburary.

See:
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipad/compare

under "iPad with retina display"

EDIT: I see someone already beat me to it.

My mistake.

And to think that they cost only about twice as much as an Asus that can run desktop software! But maybe the "black and white CRT" aspect ratio makes it all worth it?

Skika
May 23, 2013, 09:27 AM
My mistake.

And to think that they cost only about twice as much as an Asus that can run desktop software! But maybe the "black and white CRT" aspect ratio makes it all worth it?

This screen ratio is much better on the iPad. Try using a 16.9 portrait on a tablet it feels weird as hell.

roadbloc
May 23, 2013, 09:36 AM

Amazing how people forget.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5z0Ia5jDt4

notjustjay
May 23, 2013, 09:40 AM
I thought the concept of the ad was hilarious. Well done.

But I cringed at the way they shortened the Chopsticks sequence, then cut it abruptly and repeated it. They could have used that time to simply play it once, correctly.

Second, what's up with Microsoft featuring some other guy's Windows 8 tablet in their ads? Why not use Surface?

bluespark
May 23, 2013, 09:40 AM

I suppose it depends on what people you're talking about, but Pages is a non-starter in my field. Everyone I know uses and depends on MS Word's styles, redlining, and TOC features, just to name a few. I'm not really saying this to criticize Pages, as it obviously is sufficient for many, but let's not pretend like it has "everything necessary" for everyone.

Saladinos
May 23, 2013, 10:00 AM
You know you can attach a keyboard to an iPad, also, people have been using iPad as their only computer for work for at lease two years now and using Office. The only reason you can't install Office on the iPad and not use it through remote desktop is because MS hasn't made it yet. Also, there are several apps that allow you to create Word docs on the iPad without using remote desktop, but the issue is you can't do any fancy layout, but you can create a report with them without issue.[COLOR="#808080"]

Yes, you can attach a keyboard to an iPad. It's not the easiest thing in the world, though:

1. Hardly any keyboards use the dock connector/lightning port. Pairing bluetooth keyboards is a lot of effort for what it is.

2. Even if you do, it's not attached to the device. You'd need to sit down somewhere or have somewhere close by to prop the iPad up against while the keyboard rests on your lap. It's rather uncomfortable.

The Surface did well here by making the keyboard physically attached to the device, so you could use it in laptop-formation. Again, tablets being smaller than laptops makes it even harder to use than a laptop in this mode.

Basically - if you were writing a report, you wouldn't use a tablet ( any tablet ). The best tablet for writing like that basically just tries to be a laptop, but it's much more awkward to use than a real laptop.

But the problem is the hardware/form factor, not the OS. iOS is capable of pretty much anything you could do on a Mac.

Amazing Iceman
May 23, 2013, 10:11 AM
Would you agree with me that the iPad's biggest flaw is not being able to run your favorite virus?

----------

Yes, you can attach a keyboard to an iPad. It's not the easiest thing in the world, though:

1. Hardly any keyboards use the dock connector/lightning port. Pairing bluetooth keyboards is a lot of effort for what it is.

Bluetooth pairing needs to be done only ONCE, and it's the easiest thing in the world, so for you to say the above, you may be happier with a typewriter.

SuperMatt
May 23, 2013, 10:15 AM
Everybody just LOVES powerpoint. They can't get enough of it! Throw away your iPad because it doesn't have powerpoint!

Also, how lame is Microsoft that they can't even advertise their own Surface hardware because it sucks so much?

gotluck
May 23, 2013, 10:18 AM
Everybody just LOVES powerpoint. They can't get enough of it! Throw away your iPad because it doesn't have powerpoint!

Also, how lame is Microsoft that they can't even advertise their own Surface hardware because it sucks so much?

Because they want a good relationship with their oems?

People just aren't grasping that this tablet is full windows 8 either

spazzcat
May 23, 2013, 10:19 AM

2. Even if you do, it's not attached to the device. You'd need to sit down somewhere or have somewhere close by to prop the iPad up against while the keyboard rests on your lap. It's rather uncomfortable.

The Surface did well here by making the keyboard physically attached to the device, so you could use it in laptop-formation. Again, tablets being smaller than laptops makes it even harder to use than a laptop in this mode.

Basically - if you were writing a report, you wouldn't use a tablet ( any tablet ). The best tablet for writing like that basically just tries to be a laptop, but it's much more awkward to use than a real laptop.

But the problem is the hardware/form factor, not the OS. iOS is capable of pretty much anything you could do on a Mac.

You can use any dock and just about any BT keyboard. If you are in a hotel, you have a desk, on plane you have table, so could write your report, are you doing it a bus most likely not, but your not going whip out your laptop either...

What a lot people don't seen to realize is there are a lot of people that have ditched your laptop and/or desktop for an iPad. And guess what they can do real work. The fact that Office for the iPad is MS fault. Now, this isn't for everyone, and there will always be people that need a laptop or desktop.

hagar
May 23, 2013, 10:26 AM
There were these rumours about MS Office for iOS. I guess after this commercial, it’s not going to happen anytime soon.

I can’t help but wonder if MS actually does have a running version of Office for iOS, but they decided to hold off on releasing it because of strategic reasons.

caligomez
May 23, 2013, 10:28 AM
Yep.. That was a burn.

notjustjay
May 23, 2013, 10:29 AM
I suppose it depends on what people you're talking about, but Pages is a non-starter in my field. Everyone I know uses and depends on MS Word's styles, redlining, and TOC features, just to name a few. I'm not really saying this to criticize Pages, as it obviously is sufficient for many, but let's not pretend like it has "everything necessary" for everyone.

I think Pages and Keynote are great for the user who controls their workflow end-to-end. For example, home and family use, students, home based or small business, coffee shop, etc. With just a few clicks you can create a great looking newsletter, poster, or presentation, present it, publish it as a PDF, and you're done. Then archive the document cause you'll probably never need it again.

But like you said, a lot of larger businesses take it further than that. You aren't the sole author of your documents, they get emailed out for revisions, resaved, sent around, presented by other people than yourself, stored on servers, etc. And this is where things break down. If everyone in the larger business had Macs running iWork then maybe there's no issue, but since Office is the de facto standard, everyone needs to be able to read and modify the same files without getting them corrupted in the process. While the iWork apps do claim to be "Office compatible", this is still a LONG way from being actually interoperable with PCs running Office.

lewismayell
May 23, 2013, 10:29 AM
If they can't think of an original advert, one that hasn't been essentially done by Samsung, and they have to use "faults" of another product to advertise their own, then the Windows tablet, is probably *****.

I use the word "faults" loosely, because there are no real faults, not having powerpoint? That's the same as saying Windows doesn't have keynote... And, the Windows thing isn't really a tablet at all, if it run Windows 8 then it is a PC which cannot be compared to a tablet.

Liquorpuki
May 23, 2013, 10:30 AM

Apple says they don't do hybrids. Then they try to sell you something like this

http://www9.pcmag.com/media/images/260575-apple-ipad-keyboard-dock.jpg?thumb=y

So yeah, we're Apple, we don't do hybrids because they're compromised experiences. Meanwhile we're gonna try to sell you a dock that makes a tablet look like a laptop and compromise your experience

lewismayell
May 23, 2013, 10:33 AM
Would you agree with me that the iPad's biggest flaw is not being able to run your favorite virus?

Hahahaha hilarious

----------

Apple says they don't do hybrids. Then they try to sell you something like this

Image (http://www9.pcmag.com/media/images/260575-apple-ipad-keyboard-dock.jpg?thumb=y)

So yeah, we're Apple, we don't do hybrids because they're compromised experiences. Meanwhile we're gonna try to sell you a dock that makes a tablet look like a laptop and compromise your experience

That is a third part keyboard, it doesn't even turn the iPad into a hybrid, it is for added ease of typing, for example, if you're working on a pages document on your mac and you need to carry on else where, you pull out your keyboard for you iPad

charlituna
May 23, 2013, 10:41 AM

I disagree about the well part. They played unfair games picking things they knew simply aren't in the iPad like PowerPoint which is their own fault cause they haven't made it. but there is software to serve the same end and they ignored this.

Not to mention using Apple's IP which could get them into trouble. Both legally and simply cause some folks might decide to check out the comparisons for themselves and realize how false it is. Any ad that mentions the competition is already a fail.

----------

Yes eventually people might want these things. And when the hardware is there to support it they might get it.

From what I have seen and heard this 'real' multitasking on windows 8 sucks. It's not ready for prime time. Which is likely why Apple hasn't done it yet.

jmgregory1
May 23, 2013, 10:41 AM
Great - the W8 laplets run full W8 OS - so you can run any Windows program, which 99% have been designed to be controlled via mouse and keyboard...using at least a laptop sized screen. What, you say? You can increase the scale of the program so you can actually see where the cursor is when you're trying to select a cell in Excel? That's awesome. So what MS did in fact, was simply make a new netbook form factor where you need to buy the keyboard and mouse - because they don't come standard, since they're all touchscreen tablet style and everything - except you do need to use a mouse and keyboard, but that's not the point...

charlituna
May 23, 2013, 10:42 AM

They did it when he was alive too. "laptop hunters" comes to mind.

Liquorpuki
May 23, 2013, 10:46 AM

I think its biggest flaw is being tied to the ARM software ecosystem, which Apple and Google have turned into a budget market of $1 flashlight apps and freemium farming games

Bluetooth pairing needs to be done only ONCE, and it's the easiest thing in the world, so for you to say the above, you may be happier with a typewriter.

Bluetooth keyboards solve only one half of the input problem. The other half is pointer input, which Apple totally eliminated from iOS. All conventional productivity software UI's are built off both these inputs - keyboard and mouse/trackpad.

Since iOS took away your mouse input, you now have to pick up your finger and poke the screen every 10 seconds to do things like highlight text, position your cursor, cut and paste, etc and it's a pain in the ass. This is not a form factor issue, this is a user interface issue and Apple has no easy fix for this.

lewismayell
May 23, 2013, 10:48 AM
It makes me laugh though, how many companies want to be Apple. I've seen about 4 different manufactures all make identical looking products the the MacBook Air, HP have made like 2 different models that both look like the previous generation Pro and yes there were tablets before the iPad, but things only really kicked off in "tablet land" when the iPad was released. The reason Microsoft are making fun of Apple's products is becauae they wish their Surface was an iPad, they know there will be half as many sales f Surfaces than there will be iPads this year.

rhett7660
May 23, 2013, 10:53 AM

I always thought it was I am a PC and I am a Mac? There is a strong reference, but they did not come out and say it was Microsoft did they?

Swift
May 23, 2013, 10:54 AM

Why yes, it does. And Keynote.

Not having PowerPoint is a feature, not a bug.

sbailey4
May 23, 2013, 10:55 AM
iPad w/ cover = $550

The ad is not a Surface its an ASUS tablet.

charlituna
May 23, 2013, 10:55 AM
edit: Welcome to the future, people...

Image (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3018396/bigtablet.jpg)

That photo reminds me of a convo I had with friends about how we wish Apple would make a table version of the iPad. Like the former MS Surface. And a wall one. We would love to have the ability to have a table version, perhaps with the means in the table to raise up one side to an angle for drawing etc and even link it to the wall one for controlling, mirroring, doing those iffy tricks like from the James Bond film where they picked files and opened them on the wall. Heck with he right apps that wall model (which could be the same as the one in the table just wall mounted) could be our Apple TV.

With some pressure control and palm rest I would totally out a 20 inch iPad on an angle mount as a drawing tablet. Well if the price was right.

mdelvecchio
May 23, 2013, 11:01 AM
great ad, great points.

guess i didnt get that memo -- it's an essential part of my business day. email, ERP app, Numbers, and product demos.

gotluck
May 23, 2013, 11:01 AM
Great - the W8 laplets run full W8 OS - so you can run any Windows program, which 99% have been designed to be controlled via mouse and keyboard...using at least a laptop sized screen. What, you say? You can increase the scale of the program so you can actually see where the cursor is when you're trying to select a cell in Excel? That's awesome. So what MS did in fact, was simply make a new netbook form factor where you need to buy the keyboard and mouse - because they don't come standard, since they're all touchscreen tablet style and everything - except you do need to use a mouse and keyboard, but that's not the point...

I don't know why you would complain about increased capability. It's not like you cant run only Windows 8 native apps if you want.

BaldiMac
May 23, 2013, 11:04 AM
Bluetooth keyboards solve only one half of the input problem. The other half is pointer input, which Apple totally eliminated from iOS. All conventional productivity software UI's are built off both these inputs - keyboard and mouse/trackpad.

Since iOS took away your mouse input, you now have to pick up your finger and poke the screen every 10 seconds to do things like highlight text, position your cursor, cut and paste, etc and it's a pain in the ass. This is not a form factor issue, this is a user interface issue and Apple has no easy fix for this.

I think that is exactly Apple's point. An iPad isn't a laptop. If you are sitting at a desk, it is more efficient to use a pointing device. Apple's "fix" is straightforward. Use a Mac. Sync with iCloud.

An iPad is not meant to replace all the functions of a laptop or desktop, though some people can use it as their primary or even only device.

I don't wonder. It's because they are using an extremely limited definition of productivity. :D

charlituna
May 23, 2013, 11:05 AM
He was fired because he was disruptive and a first class jerk. No one wanted to work with him.

He was likely fired both for this and for the major bugs iOS 6, especially the wifi one

Liquorpuki
May 23, 2013, 11:06 AM
That is a third part keyboard, it doesn't even turn the iPad into a hybrid, it is for added ease of typing, for example, if you're working on a pages document on your mac and you need to carry on else where, you pull out your keyboard for you iPad

That's a keyboard dock that sits stationary on a desk and turns the iPad into a laptop analog. It's basically Apple's sorry attempt to duplicate a detachable form factor

This is what's funny to me. When a Win8 tablet incorporates a keyboard, people call it a compromised experience. When an iPad incorporates a keyboard, people say it's for added ease of typing and insist Apple only makes pure devices

Makes no sense

osofast240sx
May 23, 2013, 11:08 AM
Totally different era, nice try though. And done with way more class.

gotluck
May 23, 2013, 11:09 AM
Totally different era, nice try though. And done with way more class.

...lol, so that makes it okay and irrelevant :rolleyes:

sbailey4
May 23, 2013, 11:13 AM
I'm a huge Apple fan, but that was pretty good. Even thought they chose to use the priciest ipad

they are comparing like devices. 64mb versions. and yeah pretty funny

BaldiMac
May 23, 2013, 11:19 AM
That's a keyboard dock that sits stationary on a desk and turns the iPad into a laptop analog. It's basically Apple's sorry attempt to duplicate a detachable form factor

This is what's funny to me. When a Win8 tablet incorporates a keyboard, people call it a compromised experience. When an iPad incorporates a keyboard, people say it's for added ease of typing and insist Apple only makes pure devices

Makes no sense

That's because you are creating a false equivalence. Apple creates a tablet that is "pure" (your word). The experience when sitting at a desk and using a keyboard is what is compromised.

With a Win8 tablet, it's the tablet experience that is compromised. Some things are optimized for touch, some things are optimized for pointers. These goals don't always overlap.

jmgregory1
May 23, 2013, 11:26 AM

Comparing hardware specs - yes, but an iPad isn't just the hardware is it. MS simply made a new netbook with touchscreen capabilities, but is woefully behind in actually making their software programs touch capable. That's where they and anyone who says, "but I can run any Windows program on it" are just fooling themselves. Sure, it will run any program, but functionally, you're forced to add keyboard and mouse, making the tablet nothing more than just a small form factor laptop screen that requires an extra keyboard and mouse.

It's not advancing technology, but rather going backwards. MS, because they want, or have to, keep legacy users happy, is stuck in a horrible position of having to make products that a just so full of compromises, the MS employees must pull their hair out developing this stuff.

----------

I don't know why you would complain about increased capability. It's not like you cant run only Windows 8 native apps if you want.

How is it increased capability? It's a dang laptop screen that requires a keyboard and mouse to use any of the legacy Windows programs. In other words, a new form factor netbook. They're selling it as being two things, laptop alternative and tablet, but it's not great at either, because they're trying to make it both without putting any effort into optimizing it for either.

Tablets are what they are. Made to be touched and operated with your fingers. For those companies making apps designed specifically for tablet use, it's a natural way of inputing and working with the tablet. When you take a program made for desktop or laptop use and think you can easily just have it work on a tablet, you find out pretty quickly, it doesn't work that way - hence MS pushing and marketing the use of a keyboard and mouse with the Surface.

notjustjay
May 23, 2013, 11:27 AM
I always thought it was I am a PC and I am a Mac? There is a strong reference, but they did not come out and say it was Microsoft did they?

"PC" guy specifically mentioned Vista in several of the ads.

osofast240sx
May 23, 2013, 11:29 AM

Actually the surface only has about 30 not 64

Liquorpuki
May 23, 2013, 11:35 AM
That's because you are creating a false equivalence. Apple creates a tablet that is "pure" (your word). The experience when using a keyboard is what is compromised.

With a Win8 tablet, it's the tablet experience that is compromised. Some things are optimized for touch, some things are not.

That's not how I see it. On a Win8 tablet, you have a tablet optimized UI in Metro. If you bring up a productivity software, you switch over to conventional keyboard/mouse inputs and you're good

On an iPad, you have a tablet optimized UI in iOS. If you bring up productivity software, you have no choice but to do the best you can with the tablet UI and a BT keyboard

gotluck
May 23, 2013, 11:36 AM
How is it increased capability? It's a dang laptop screen that requires a keyboard and mouse to use any of the legacy Windows programs. In other words, a new form factor netbook. They're selling it as being two things, laptop alternative and tablet, but it's not great at either, because they're trying to make it both without putting any effort into optimizing it for either.

Tablets are what they are. Made to be touched and operated with your fingers. For those companies making apps designed specifically for tablet use, it's a natural way of inputing and working with the tablet. When you take a program made for desktop or laptop use and think you can easily just have it work on a tablet, you find out pretty quickly, it doesn't work that way - hence MS pushing and marketing the use of a keyboard and mouse with the Surface.

Having the ability to run x86 apps = increased capability...

If I can run teamviewer on my iphone and control my windows pc with no external attachments, I'm sure MS figured out a way to control x86 apps without mouse/KB. Sure it may be clunky, but the increased capability is there. I'll take it. Apple would say it's not polished enough, and I'm sure that is right - but I'd rather have the option to use it if needed in a pinch.

Rossatron
May 23, 2013, 11:37 AM
well, that thing is what? $1000 if you go for the cheap kinda keyboard-cover. for that price i could get a pretty nice MBA :| and we're not talking about the better "real" keyboard cover. plus, if not mistaken, they have a "pro" tablet which has an insane price tag. so yeah, a tablet is great, but if i'm going to do work on it, the price range will just force me to get a laptop. an ipad+keyboard is less than that, and add $20 for pages, and you got a nice on-the-go workstation. wanna make it variable? drop the price down.

Mr.damien
May 23, 2013, 11:44 AM

go iPad!

Sure, could you point me to the Paper Android and WP version ?

Juste what I though. But I can point you to freemium **** on both...

BaldiMac
May 23, 2013, 11:47 AM
That's not how I see it. On a Win8 tablet, you have a tablet optimized UI in Metro.

A tablet optimized UI with limited app support at this point. And you've discouraged developers from adding support by letting them continue to reach their customers with the legacy interface.

If you bring up a productivity software, you switch over to conventional keyboard/mouse inputs and you're good

You're good? Not if you want to continue to use it as a tablet.

On an iPad, you have a tablet optimized UI in iOS. If you bring up productivity software, you have no choice but to do the best you can with the tablet UI and a BT keyboard

Or just the tablet UI. Because it's a tablet.

Again, there's nothing wrong with wanting a hybrid experience. It's great for some people/use cases. Personally, I see it as an okay tablet and a poor laptop.

Apple simply chose another philosophy. A laptop is a laptop. And a tablet is a tablet.

rhett7660
May 23, 2013, 11:47 AM

"PC" guy specifically mentioned Vista in several of the ads.

Gotcha. Well then I stand corrected lol. Thank you.

rtomyj
May 23, 2013, 11:51 AM
Are you kidding?? I'm retired from IT management. I regularly had massive documents prepared for multimillion dollar projects. Those docs consisted of Excel spreadsheets with all the cost/manpower/etc data. I embedded links into a Word doc that explained the entire project. (You must have embedded links so if something changes you don't have to go find the reference in the do and make the change twice), and then there would be a PowerPoint that was used for presentations. Once the project is underway, you add in project data, mock-ups, requirements, etc. all linked back to the spreadsheet so you can determine rest costs.

Doing this takes having at least two windows open at the same time. Otherwise it takes forever and you are open to making mistakes (ie bad links/data). That is a big no-no and can cost you your job.

And this scenario applies to just about every business that does major documentation (financial docs, ect).

All of this can easily be done on any win8 tablet running the full OS.

Your ideas of how the world works and the types of documentation created seems very limited.
Alright but you're missing the point: Can you do all this standing up with only touchscreen input and not using the keypad, efficiently? Since sitting down implies a table you can just pull out a laptop and work flawlessly.

WeegieMac
May 23, 2013, 11:56 AM
Yet again, a competitor using their rivals device to try and sell their product rather than pitching it to us on its own genuine merits.

In the Mac vs PC ads, Apple was the minnow with the miniscle market share compared to Windows. This time around Microsoft, thanks to Ballmer's ignorance, are playing catchup ... big time.

Mr.damien
May 23, 2013, 11:58 AM
Microsoft is following exactly those steps: first they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. Gandhi.

Only one step left.

Jibbajabba
May 23, 2013, 12:03 PM

go iPad!

Not sure what made me smile more, the ads or that comment :D

iGrip
May 23, 2013, 12:16 PM
well, that thing is what? $1000 if you go for the cheap kinda keyboard-cover. for that price i could get a pretty nice MBA :|

If by "pretty nice" you mean "the cheapest possible one with the lowest possible specs", then we agree completely.

That being said, the 11 inch Air is the nicest netbook on the market. No one else even comes close.

Saladinos
May 23, 2013, 12:21 PM

Actually using a Bluetooth keyboard with an iOS device is a massive PITA. You need to explicitly go in to settings and enable and disable it every time. It isn't the easiest thing in the world.

You can use any dock and just about any BT keyboard. If you are in a hotel, you have a desk, on plane you have table, so could write your report, are you doing it a bus most likely not, but your not going whip out your laptop either...

What a lot people don't seen to realize is there are a lot of people that have ditched your laptop and/or desktop for an iPad. And guess what they can do real work. The fact that Office for the iPad is MS fault. Now, this isn't for everyone, and there will always be people that need a laptop or desktop.

What do you mean by 'you can use any dock'? Now I need to bring a dock with me, too? And that's on top of the (rather bulky) BT keyboard. Apple's KB is probably the slimmest BT keyboard you can get, but even its battery bulge is like twice the thickness of an iPad.

Compare that solution with the utter ease of having a keyboard built in to the cover.

The case I'm thinking of isn't when sitting on the bus - it's when sitting on the sofa with your feet up. Balancing a dock and keyboard setup on your lap is just awkward, and Microsoft does have a much better answer to that situation (even if their solution isn't really ideal - like I mentioned the screens on tablets are small, the keyboard is small and doesn't have great tactile response).

I love it how people jump on comments and lump them together with other stuff they've heard, without even understanding what you said. I never said you can't do work with an iPad - I said that 'work' on the iPad is different from traditional ideas of what 'work' is. Lots of people refuse to believe that anything that doesn't involve Word is work; what I said is that work like that fundamentally isn't practical on an iPad. There is work you can do with an iPad, but it does not involve much writing of documents.

Having Office on the iPad is irrelevant; it would still suck. Document editing on the iPad is not being held back by software; it's just something the interaction model doesn't deal with very well.

TouchMint.com
May 23, 2013, 12:24 PM
Pretty funny ad. (coming from an apple user that turns off siri on all devices)

Liquorpuki
May 23, 2013, 12:24 PM
Sure, could you point me to the Paper Android and WP version ?

Juste what I though. But I can point you to freemium **** on both...

No clue what Paper Android is or why you're bringing up Windows Phone

You make no sense

tazz3
May 23, 2013, 12:26 PM
When the windows 8 tablet passes the ipad in sales then MS can brag lol.
i would never buy one i played with it in best buy the other day its not that nice

BaldiMac
May 23, 2013, 12:36 PM
Actually using a Bluetooth keyboard with an iOS device is a massive PITA. You need to explicitly go in to settings and enable and disable it every time. It isn't the easiest thing in the world.

That's not true.

The case I'm thinking of isn't when sitting on the bus - it's when sitting on the sofa with your feet up. Balancing a dock and keyboard setup on your lap is just awkward, and Microsoft does have a much better answer to that situation (even if their solution isn't really ideal - like I mentioned the screens on tablets are small, the keyboard is small and doesn't have great tactile response).

I don't see how the kickstand on a Surface or the TranSleeve Keyboard stand on the ASUS VivoTab Smart would work well on your lap in that situation.

I see the more likely scenario for the iPad, Surface, or ASUS VivoTab Smart when you are sitting on the couch would be to have the keyboard on your lap and the table propped up somewhere.

sbailey4
May 23, 2013, 12:43 PM
Actually the surface only has about 30 not 64

Well the ad is not comparing the Surface. My response was to the idea that they were comparing the most expensive iPad to a lesser product. And they are in fact comparing 64mb ASUS to 64mb iPad. Its not a 16mb verses 64mb and nowhere was surface mentioned in this ad. That was all I was saying.

bgillander
May 23, 2013, 12:59 PM
Hey bud apologies for misinterpreting your post. My wife says I lack tact and you have emphatically proven her right. You and I were stating the same fact. Again, apologies. Maybe I jumped the gun and started typing before fully grasping what you meant. But help me. Re-read what you wrote:

The article is incorrect in that the Vivotab Smart is not Windows RT

Please keep in mind my aforementioned lack reading skills, but that 'not' before Windows RT means the opposite of what you meant to say. I probably just put my foot in my mouth again. More apologies in advance. Maybe I would have understood better if your quote didn't have that 'not':

"The article is incorrect in that the Vivotab Smart is Windows RT"

Again sorry.

No problem. I get that the "not" was a bit confusing, but you just stopped reading the quote before the actual point I was trying to make, which was that it didn't include Office (because it wasn't RT.)

the Vivotab Smart is not Windows RT, so it does not include built in Office apps.

The original article indicated that the Vivotab Smart includes Office built-in, which it doesn't because it is a Windows 8 tablet, and only RT tablets include Office (RT) for free. I wish the Vivotab Smart did include Office 2010, but it only has a 30 day trial version. I can confirm this as a fact, since I have the Vivotab Smart and it is actually quite nice, but Office is not included in the cost.

Verbatim Cookie
May 23, 2013, 01:04 PM

It's not native but the mere fact that it's possible is cool.

Perhaps, but the article you linked to claims Intel's Atom will catch up to ARM in energy efficiency and thus be the death of Windows RT (because the chief justification for getting a Windows RT tablet instead of a Windows 8 tablet will be gone, I assume they mean).

Verbatim Cookie
May 23, 2013, 01:27 PM

[citation needed]

I remember reading on MacRumors that he was fired after he refused to sign the open letter of apology to iOS users for the failings of Maps. I assume he did so because he believed he and his team created the best possible map app that anyone could have produced in the time that was allotted to them.

----------

Is an all-in-one computer (e.g., iMac) not a hybrid of a CPU case and a display?

a BIT overdramatic maybe??
Welcome to the MacRumors forums. If your feelings were hurt, then the "F" in "RTFA" stands for "fine".

BaldiMac
May 23, 2013, 01:36 PM
Lying Microsoft Advertising (http://www.curi.us/1571-lying-microsoft-advertising)

Aragrist
May 23, 2013, 02:19 PM
My only question is, how long does the battery last running a full version of windows? If it only lasts 2 or 3 hours then it should come with a keyboard and be a laptop instead. Large tablets should actually be hybrid laptops anyway. 7" tablets are the only ones that makes sense to drop the physical keyboard. Above 7" there should be keyboard and the screen should be able to flip facing up or down so the it can be used as a tablet or close up like a laptop to protect the screen. In both cases you should be able to set it on a desktop and use the touch screen instead of a mouse and have a full keyboard like a laptop. If done right it wouldn't be much thicker than a 2nd gen iPad.

donnaw
May 23, 2013, 02:20 PM
Alright but you're missing the point: Can you do all this standing up with only touchscreen input and not using the keypad, efficiently? Since sitting down implies a table you can just pull out a laptop and work flawlessly.

Back in 2003 I bought my first 'tablet'. It was a HP 1000. I took it to meetings and took handwritten notes (using OneNote). At the end of the meeting I was able to use the software to translate my notes into text and include the screen mock-ups in less that 5 mins and circulate the notes. All with no keyboard or mouse. I certainly can't do that with my iPad now. Nor can I create complicated documents on my iPad. But I can on a Win 8 Pro tablet. And yes, much can be done with just the touch screen. But if I want/need a keyboard or mouse I have that option.

Oh, and another thing I can do is send an email with multiple attachments, just like the complicated project I described. Yeah, I can see it now, first email - "here's the spreadsheet for Project X", second email - "here's the Word doc for Project X", third email - "here's the PowerPoint for Project X", etc. THAT goes over REALLY well with bosses. And never mind having to use multiple apps just to send those emails, or the confusion caused with file names because you can't create a folder for Project X to keep everything together. Heaven forbid you have several projects going at once! Or need to keep them for months/years to refer to.

And the point I was responding to was the statement that the only artists needed to multitask or have more than one window open at a time. All I did was point out that there are many business uses that simply cannot be accomplished without that functionality.

BaldiMac
May 23, 2013, 02:34 PM
Back in 2003 I bought my first 'tablet'. It was a HP 1000. I took it to meetings and took handwritten notes (using OneNote). At the end of the meeting I was able to use the software to translate my notes into text and include the screen mock-ups in less that 5 mins and circulate the notes. All with no keyboard or mouse. I certainly can't do that with my iPad now. Nor can I create complicated documents on my iPad.

Why can't you do that on an iPad?

Jimmy James
May 23, 2013, 02:57 PM
It's so long and skinny. No one wants that. Oh wait...

muledoggie
May 23, 2013, 04:15 PM
Woops. Somebody doesn't know how to calculate area (as pointed out here: http://www.curi.us/1571-lying-microsoft-advertisinghttp://).

iPad: 7.76 by 5.82

ASUS: 8.8 by 4.95

iPad area is 45.16 sq inches

ASUS area is 43.56 sq inches

olowott
May 23, 2013, 04:29 PM
wish them luck in sales ;)

LOLZpersonok
May 23, 2013, 04:58 PM
Not natively, and even if you do run an x86 emulator/wrapper on the RT, you're going to get poor performance compared to the Pro or x86 tablet equivelents like the one in this ad.
Microsoft will not get any money from me anymore though. Played that game for far too long.

Regardless, the mere fact that it's possible is still cool.

I haven't had any problems with MS. I only got an iPhone because the Nexus 4 wasn't in stock.

This is one reason I dislike Apple fans. Besides, that's why there's full-out computers for that. Tablets are just meant to be brought around everywhere.

toaster64
May 23, 2013, 05:19 PM
If I was going to ditch Apple, which I am not, I would go with Windows. Microsoft did a nice job with its OS, and it is not a clone of ios (like Android).

Would you go for Microsoft because you think their OS is better or because they didn't copy? Android's marketplace, for one, is already huge compared to MS's store.

----------

Lying Microsoft Advertising (http://www.curi.us/1571-lying-microsoft-advertising)

This is the nonsense I mentioned earlier. Their ad is quite honest, especially compared to other stuff like the thing you put there.