Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
Well the Ferrari doesn't really sound all that different to me, although they do seem to have to shift quicker to keep it in the band.

(click on video, listen in between the commentary)

Ferrari V8 1

Ferrari V8 2

And here's the Cosworth V8 breaking 20,000rpm :eek: :D

Rink dink link

All sound superb to me, nothing at all like the V8 rumble I was expecting. :D

Thoughts?

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
So it'll be interesting to see if Cosworth (the undeniable one-time kings of V8 engines) will be as strong next season as they promise to be. And if they are then hasn't Button nailed his flag to the wrong post? :)

I didn't expect them to sound much different, since the engine is esssentially the V10 with the last two cylinders lopped off. Pistons should be the same size. I don't really think you would even have to change the firing order much.
The torque will be lower and the powerband smaller, but bring on 20k revs! Got used to the V10s and will get used to the V8s. I'm just glad they brought tire changing back.

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
emotion said:
So it'll be interesting to see if Cosworth (the undeniable one-time kings of V8 engines) will be as strong next season as they promise to be. And if they are then hasn't Button nailed his flag to the wrong post? :)

I think the Cosworth V8 will be quite possibly the strongest engine on the grid next season, AFAIK they started development waaayyyyyy before any other team/manufacturer, and I'm still of the opinion that Williams might have pulled off a bit of a master stroke dumping BMW (who are admitting they're REALLY struggling with their V8) and switching to Bridgestone (the return of tyre changes) the Williams-Cosworth team might just pull off a few surprises next season. ;)

Lord Blackadder said:
Let's play "how fast can you spin an engine?"

The Cosworth demo is incredible isn't it... it just keeps increasing and increasing and increasing :D

takao said:
it's gonna get interesting how fast they will be spinning 2 years from now .. 23+k anyone ?

I wonder what the limit will be? I seem to recall reading comments (though I'm probably wrong on this) not all that long ago that the general consensus was near impossible for such an engine to exceed 19k and BMW did just that at Monza (2003?) and now the fabled 20k limit has been breached too. Incredible really. :eek: :D

I wonder what the limit will be? considering that V10's a decade or so ago only seemed to rev to what 13-14k?

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
iGav said:
I wonder what the limit will be? I seem to recall reading comments (though I'm probably wrong on this) not all that long ago that the general consensus was near impossible for such an engine to exceed 19k and BMW did just that at Monza (2003?) and now the fabled 20k limit has been breached too. Incredible really. :eek: :D

I wonder what the limit will be? considering that V10's a decade or so ago only seemed to rev to what 13-14k?

without the 1 engine 2 races rule i think it might have been 20k standard this year already.. i think the real amazing thing about the f1 engines is how they not only increased the power output in the last years but reduced weight as well (they are around 90 kilo already.... just a few years ago they were at 150 hp less and 110 kilo)

i think that any guesses around the engines are still way too early.. nobody knows what the others have in the hat

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
iGav said:
I think the Cosworth V8 will be quite possibly the strongest engine on the grid next season, AFAIK they started development waaayyyyyy before any other team/manufacturer, and I'm still of the opinion that Williams might have pulled off a bit of a master stroke dumping BMW (who are admitting they're REALLY struggling with their V8) and switching to Bridgestone (the return of tyre changes) the Williams-Cosworth team might just pull off a few surprises next season. ;)
That's certainly possible. I think it'll be interesting how Ferrari takes whatever they've learned from road-going V8's and brings it into the F1 program.

The Cosworth demo is incredible isn't it... it just keeps increasing and increasing and increasing :D
First by half-steps, then quarter tones ;) I think someone should write a fanfare for V8's :D

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA
I cant tell the difference between V8s and V10s. The redlining at 19k still gets me every time. I just wish they let them make bigger engines, so they could have more performance. Its Formula 1 for crying out loud! They are supposed to be the most advanced cars in the world, not restricted cars.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.