PDA

View Full Version : PowerPC parts [PPC] *free*

abbotkinneydude
May 23, 2013, 01:04 AM
Hello everyone,

I have a bunch of PPC parts that I need to clear. It's all free but I'd rather ship to one person only. Origin: B&W G3, Yikes G4, MDD G4.

(2) Yikes G4 MB
(1) Adaptec PCI SCSI Card
(1) Internal Modem G3 B&W / Yikes G4
(1) Firewire Internal Module G3 B&W / Yikes G4
(1) ATI Rage 128 PCI Card
(1) G3 400MHZ Processor
(1) Powerlogix *FRIED/NON FUNCTIONAL* 1.1Ghz ZIF G3 Processor
(1) Internal ZIP 100 Drive (Graphite Color)
(1) Combo CD-RW/DVD-ROM Apple Branded Drive (ATA)
(2) ATA Ribbon Cable (B&W G3/G4 Yikes)
(1) Macally Ice Cam
(1) Sensflow Ventilator (Internal for B&W G3/G4 Yikes)
(2) Thermal Sinks for G3 / G4 ZIF Processors
(1) 200W POWER SUPPLY for B&W G3 / G4 Yikes
(2) Hard Drive Sleds (B&W G3 / G4 Yikes)
(1) Radeon 9000 AGP Card (MDD)
(1) 1.75GB Ram for MDD
(1) Hard Drive Sled (MDD)

abbotkinneydude
May 23, 2013, 01:40 AM
Here's a ZIP archive of most of the items mentioned above.

666sheep
May 23, 2013, 01:45 AM
I'd be interested in Powerlogix CPU if you happen to be EU located.
Is it physically fried (any signs of burnt traces, components)?

abbotkinneydude
May 23, 2013, 04:23 AM
Hi 666Sheep,

I think the powerlogix zif processor is fried (it happened during screensaver activation). Also, there was a burnt smell when I removed it.

After swapping the processor (with the G3 400 above), the B&W G3 would work perfect again (except for slower speed obviously). Later, I re-tried with the Powerlogix but no success.

Over the years, none of my Sonnet upgrades have ever failed but Powerlogix didn't seem to be as good a brand.

Am located in California.

powermi
May 23, 2013, 07:53 AM
ill be interested in the radeon 9000 if its working in good condition. thanks

eyoungren
May 23, 2013, 08:34 AM
(1) ATI Rage 128 PCI Card
(1) 1.75GB Ram for MDD
I know you said you only want to ship to one person, but I'd be very interested in the video card and the ram. We have a headless G4/350 PCI at work that I access via VNC. If I could get another video card in there it'd be great. I can also find a use for the ram.

I'm in Phoenix, Arizona.

bax2003
May 23, 2013, 10:45 AM
I am interested in RAM and sled for MDD :D

abbotkinneydude
May 23, 2013, 02:52 PM
Hello everyone, I'd like to ship everything at once so maybe someone in the US can take the whole package and split it among other interested parties.

Doward
May 24, 2013, 03:20 AM
Hello everyone, I'd like to ship everything at once so maybe someone in the US can take the whole package and split it among other interested parties.

How is that 1.75GB of ram put together?

I'll take it, depending on that.

Cox Orange
May 24, 2013, 05:02 AM
...Over the years, none of my Sonnet upgrades have ever failed but Powerlogix didn't seem to be as good a brand...
The Sonnet Dual 1,6-1,7GHz 7447 range is known for overheating (I had two Dual 1,8Hz myself), but most often it is, because there wasn't enough thermal compound put on it in the factory. I think Sonnet is no better than other major brands, but that is just my experience.

skateny
May 24, 2013, 02:08 PM

Though your intentions are clearly good, it seems unrealistic to me that someone here would step up to act as a clearing house for all the parts you're generously offering. This doesn't affect me personally since I'm not interested in any of the parts.

It might be helpful to regularly update your thinking as to how you're willing to ship all your gear so that the people who've expressed interest can know where they stand on this.

philz4life
May 29, 2013, 08:23 PM
The Sonnet Dual 1,6-1,7GHz 7447 range is known for overheating (I had two Dual 1,8Hz myself), but most often it is, because there wasn't enough thermal compound put on it in the factory. I think Sonnet is no better than other major brands, but that is just my experience.

Where did you get the dual 1.8 CPU? I've been searching on eBay but I can't find any. I'm interested in getting one for my MDD.

California
May 29, 2013, 09:51 PM
Where did you get the dual 1.8 CPU? I've been searching on eBay but I can't find any. I'm interested in getting one for my MDD.

Call Sonnet. Or email them. They were responsive to a question about my 1.8ghz CPU a few months ago.

drjarv05
May 31, 2013, 03:33 AM
I would be interested in all of it. Just private message me. Would I be paying for shipping though?

Cox Orange
May 31, 2013, 10:01 AM

A year or two ago I found a PowerMac on Ebay titled "PowerMac G4 defective". The picture showed the CPU and an ACARD SATA-RAID-Card and so I decided to risk it. I got it for arround 40-70EUR, if I remember right.
The CPU was overheating, but I did not have the right Tools (Torx with a hole in the middle) to get the Heatsink off. So I sold it as defective for 216,-EUR. The winner said, he just replaced the thermal compound and then ran a stress test and it works fine.
I got a second one from a PowerMac G4 I bought for 200,-EUR (including WD Black RAID Drive 500GB, Sonnet SATA-Card, Firewire-PCI-Card, 2GB RAM, ATI 8500, Sonnet Gigabit-ethernet-PCI card. Yes it is, much money for such old things, but I sold the HDD and the graphics card and was down to 100,- I think.

I am in Germany. Search Ebay with dot de at the end. Very often I see Single 1,8GHz Sonnet CPUs going for not much money. It seems right now is the time, people get rid of their better equipped PowerMacs. If you can talk the sellers into shipping to the US, you could get a low price including even your local taxes.
The cheapest way, buy the way as secured shipping is DHL 2kg-box for 16,90EUR to the US and 10,60EUR to Europe/EU. So you can estimate youself, whether the overal price is ok for you.
I also often see the Single 1,2-1,4GHz version.

Why not make an automated search for just "Sonnet", and set to "auctions only", so that you get an email notification everytime there is something like that. (you can do that with Newertech and PowerLogix / PowerLogics, too).

philz4life
May 31, 2013, 09:13 PM
A year or two ago I found a PowerMac on Ebay titled "PowerMac G4 defective". The picture showed the CPU and an ACARD SATA-RAID-Card and so I decided to risk it. I got it for arround 40-70EUR, if I remember right.
The CPU was overheating, but I did not have the right Tools (Torx with a hole in the middle) to get the Heatsink off. So I sold it as defective for 216,-EUR. The winner said, he just replaced the thermal compound and then ran a stress test and it works fine.
I got a second one from a PowerMac G4 I bought for 200,-EUR (including WD Black RAID Drive 500GB, Sonnet SATA-Card, Firewire-PCI-Card, 2GB RAM, ATI 8500, Sonnet Gigabit-ethernet-PCI card. Yes it is, much money for such old things, but I sold the HDD and the graphics card and was down to 100,- I think.

I am in Germany. Search Ebay with dot de at the end. Very often I see Single 1,8GHz Sonnet CPUs going for not much money. It seems right now is the time, people get rid of their better equipped PowerMacs. If you can talk the sellers into shipping to the US, you could get a low price including even your local taxes.
The cheapest way, buy the way as secured shipping is DHL 2kg-box for 16,90EUR to the US and 10,60EUR to Europe/EU. So you can estimate youself, whether the overal price is ok for you.
I also often see the Single 1,2-1,4GHz version.

Why not make an automated search for just "Sonnet", and set to "auctions only", so that you get an email notification everytime there is something like that. (you can do that with Newertech and PowerLogix / PowerLogics, too).

I looked on eBay.de for a CPU but there were none. If you see one, could you please send me the link? I'm going to sign up for the email thing as well.

abbotkinneydude
Jun 5, 2013, 11:42 PM
Hello everyone!

I have all the parts packed and ready to ship. :)

I would sincerely appreciate if the persons interested could contact me via PM.

Thanks!