PDA

View Full Version : Psst....Wanna buy a song for $2.50 from Sprint?

rdowns
Oct 31, 2005, 07:42 AM
Sprint launches music download service

Reuters 8:37 am October 31, 2005

NEW YORK, Oct 31 (Reuters) - The No. 3 U.S. mobile service Sprint Nextel Corp. on Monday introduced a wireless music download service using phones from Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. and Sanyo Electric Co. .

The service is part of an ongoing effort to boost revenue by getting customers to use their handsets for more than just phone calls. Music is seen as one of the next big things in phones, most of which already sport cameras and Web browsers.

Sprint Nextel and its bigger rivals Cingular Wireless and Verizon Wireless already sell phones that can store and play music that users transfer from their computers but this is the first U.S. service that lets customers buy songs on the go.

Cingular Wireless and Verizon Wireless have said they plan to launch similar services next year.

Sprint Nextel said it would send full songs to consumers' handsets and their computer for $2.50 each under the new service, two and a half times Apple Computer Inc.'s price for songs downloaded to computers through its popular iTunes music service.

While Sprint and its rivals believe consumers would pay a premium to buy music while they are on the move, many analysts have been skeptical about whether this would work.

Research group Ovum expects the U.S. wireless music download market to be worth $1.5 billion in five years.

Sprint had said this summer that it planned to introduce a music service in time for the holiday shopping season which is expected to start in the days after Thanksgiving on Nov. 24.

It said on Monday it would offer the service, which uses software from privately-held Groove Mobile, on Sanyo's MM-9000 and Samsung's MM-A940.

2A Batterie
Oct 31, 2005, 08:25 AM
If it has the Sprint name attached, then I'm not interested. Everything about Sprint (especially customer service) is awful!

zap2
Oct 31, 2005, 08:28 AM
for 2.50 i wait until i home and pay 99!

joecool85
Oct 31, 2005, 08:33 AM
I can't think of anyone that would pay that much for a music file...thats rediculous.

bousozoku
Oct 31, 2005, 09:53 AM
If it has the Sprint name attached, then I'm not interested. Everything about Sprint (especially customer service) is awful!

I can't say the same and I've been with SprintPCS for over 5 years now.

However, I wouldn't pay that much for music, especially being that you also have to have internet service to get it.

mac-er
Oct 31, 2005, 10:31 AM
This will be a total disaster. No one is going to pay $2.50 for a song. They only have 250,000 songs. And I don't know how easy browsing through the c store with a phone would be easy.

Though they seem to be getting some things right:
*You get two copies of the song. One is designed to play on the phone and the other is for the computer.
*You can burn to a CD.
*The phones made for this service have a media card that can hold 1000 songs.

snowmoon
Oct 31, 2005, 10:42 AM
Just remeber that the same "goom and doom" surrounded both iPod's and iTunes when they first came out. Personally I think they are nuts, but hell, you never know.

nbs2
Oct 31, 2005, 11:03 AM
not a huge market, but i see this being potentially useful if a person finds themselves at an event where they need a specific song and they aren't sure what to do. i can think of a couple (ok, only one) times when i had forgotten a cd with a song i needed and ended up buy the entire cd over again, when the 2.50 would have saved me time and money. of course, it was about 5 years ago. and it hasn't happened since, especially since i have my ipod with me everywhere i go.

solvs
Oct 31, 2005, 02:41 PM
Though they seem to be getting some things right:
*You get two copies of the song. One is designed to play on the phone and the other is for the computer.
*You can burn to a CD.
*The phones made for this service have a media card that can hold 1000 songs.
It's a 1GB media card. When they say 1000 songs, they must mean at 48-64kbps, which is awful. Plus, change that to 500 because of having to store 2 copies. Takes up more room to have 2. You'd think they could just pick one and play it.

2nyRiggz
Oct 31, 2005, 02:47 PM
oh yea, i can't wait to do that....buy songs for $2.50 a pop....whatever! i am cheap bas^%$ and i take it hard to buy the songs for .99cents.

"it puts the lotion in the basket"

JDOG_
Oct 31, 2005, 02:56 PM
I'd pay $2.50 if it came with some dessert. Like some pie or something.

Somehow I think I'd just end up with a few DRM'd .WMA files and an empty soul.