Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richxps

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
All out of the two can Someone give a comparison or which is better? I need to pick up a case for vacation and want one of these . Thanksss

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I can't speak to the Impact Mesh, but I just recently got my first Commuter case and I think it's pretty great. It's not ridiculous like the Defender is (my wife has/needs that one but I think it's way too bulky) but provides a good amount of protection, while still fitting comfortably into my pocket.

TexasErin

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2013
I have the pink Tech21 impact mesh and my husband has the Otterbox Commuter.

I really, really like mine. I like the way it feels and I like the way it looks. I don't know anyone else that has one. And I especially like staring at it in the sun, lol.

My husband's Otterbox is so ordinary. That's all I can say. Very common and completely non-unique. He thinks it's fine, but he's not excited about it.

As a matter of fact, I'd really like to get the blue Tech21 impact band also to switch it up, but I hate the shipping fees from the UK (which is the reason I haven't ordered the blue Musubo Diamond case that I also want from Hong Kong either).

Anyway, the Tech21 would be my recommendation if you want to be different from everyone else. I love it!

Yeezus

macrumors member
May 20, 2013
I don't recommend purchasing the Tech 21 Impact Mesh Case. I've had some pretty bad experiences with this case.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Exactly. The quality for the price is absolutely ridiculous. I personally use the Lifeproof Fre, but only because I got it for $20 bucks :eek:

How did you get it for only $20? And all the other MORE protective cases bought on amazon are a little cheaper for the top brands like otterbox:)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Yeezus

macrumors member
May 20, 2013
How did you get it for only $20? And all the other MORE protective cases bought on amazon are a little cheaper for the top brands like otterbox:)

I bought the case at an AT&T authorized retailer during closing hours. I agree, the cases on Amazon sell for cheaper - However, it is to note that there have been numerous complaints about fake products and such.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Otterbox commuter or tech 21 impact mesh

I bought the case at an AT&T authorized retailer during closing hours. I agree, the cases on Amazon sell for cheaper - However, it is to note that there have been numerous complaints about fake products and such.

But why $20. Clearance or they wanted you to leave(lol)? Just have to make sure the seller is amazon/fulfilled by amazon.

Yeezus

macrumors member
May 20, 2013
But why $20. Clearance or they wanted you to leave(lol)? Just have to make sure the seller is amazon/fulfilled by amazon.

Partly because of the clearance sale and sale bargaining. The case was originally 40% off I believe, so the price came to about $48 dollars, and with some good bargaining I dropped the price down to $20.

On second thought, maybe they did want me to leave :D Oh well doesn't really matter, I'm extremely happy with my purchase.

Yeezus

macrumors member
May 20, 2013
What happened? Just want to see if there's anything for me to worry about....

A few reasons why I decided to return the Tech 21 Impact Mesh Case were due in part to a lack of dust protection (which resulted in multiple scratches in the upper and lower areas of my phone) , how the sides tend to stretch out the more I took it apart to clean out the phone, the large cut out for camera lens, and a weird ink residue the case left behind. Overall, I thought the case offered good protection for how thin it was, but I would not buy it again if given the opportunity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.