Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alw969

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2013
I am having trouble finding a straight forward answer online.

My macbook pro crashed so I got a Macbook Air. My iTunes library is all stored on a hard drive and I want to have it available on my Macbook air, but I know there will not be enough storage.

Would getting a wireless hard drive to store that music still show up on my iTunes when connected without taking up memory on my MacBook Air?

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated!

ratboy90

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2009
I am having trouble finding a straight forward answer online.

My macbook pro crashed so I got a Macbook Air. My iTunes library is all stored on a hard drive and I want to have it available on my Macbook air, but I know there will not be enough storage.

Would getting a wireless hard drive to store that music still show up on my iTunes when connected without taking up memory on my MacBook Air?

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated!

What about looking into a minidrive? How big is your library?

eduardrw

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2013
I use iTunes match since I also have an iMac.
That way I have all my music available on my MBA.
I download my best rated music - the rest is there for streaming.

TheAppleSource

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
United Kingdom
What you've alluded to, as in storing the library on an external hard drive that you connect to either via your network or a cable, is a very easy solution.

Simply put your entire library on the drive that you would like to store it on and then in iTunes go to Preferences > Advanced > iTunes Media Folder Location > Change and then navigate to where you've stored your library and select the iTunes Media Folder Location.

This method will keep all of the music on the external drive and not take up any room on your MBA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.