PDA

View Full Version : Help me connect Dual Studio Displays, to one Powermac!

lucasfer899
May 23, 2013, 11:12 AM
Hello all,
I have just been offered a pair of 17" Studio Displays for 50.
Now, as we can see this is a great deal, but they use ADC, how can I connect a pair of these to a single Powermac?
I currently have a G4 Sawtooth.

Thanks! :o

Lil Chillbil
May 23, 2013, 11:39 AM
What card are you running in your sawtooth that would even make you think that it could have the ram to drive that much screen space? I mean a radeon 7000 would not do it or even some of the 9000 series

teller
May 23, 2013, 01:57 PM
Lil Chillbil couldn't be more wrong. A 17" normally only goes up to 1280x1024 resolution. A 32MB 7000 could power two 1280 screens with ease.

As for how to do it... you need ADC adapters to either VGA or DVI depending on the card you have.

Still attempting the acting gig, Lil Chillbil?

teller
May 23, 2013, 02:31 PM
I forgot to mention that you would also need power adapters for the screens. A Sawtooth cannot power an ADC screen because it's AGP slot lacks the ADC power connectors.

lucasfer899
May 23, 2013, 03:05 PM
What card are you running in your sawtooth that would even make you think that it could have the ram to drive that much screen space? I mean a radeon 7000 would not do it or even some of the 9000 series

I'm running an ATi Rage Pro 128.
I'm not really THAT concerned about using this machine for long.
I don't mind moving to a G5 or such, I just want to know how to get these two displays on one machine.

----------

I forgot to mention that you would also need power adapters for the screens. A Sawtooth cannot power an ADC screen because it's AGP slot lacks the ADC power connectors.

Oh damn.
I really don't care.
I guess what I'm trying to ask is, what machine to use dual ACD's?
I really don't want to drop 120 on a pair of a adapters for screens that are worth 40.

Intell
May 23, 2013, 04:42 PM
An ATI Rage 128 would be the minimum card needed to drive one of those displays, but it won't do it well. I don't think any PowerMac can drive more than one ADC display without the use of an ADC to DVI adapter.

lucasfer899
May 24, 2013, 08:03 AM

An ATI Rage 128 would be the minimum card needed to drive one of those displays, but it won't do it well. I don't think any PowerMac can drive more than one ADC display without the use of an ADC to DVI adapter.

Oh thanks, I figured they would only be able to run one ADC.
I guess I'll go for just on larger display, like the 20" ASD, nevertheless thanks for the help everyone! ;p