PDA

View Full Version : "Gift Song" rip off

colenesmith
Oct 31, 2005, 10:05 AM
I was curious to what would happen if I gifted a song to someone and the recipient already had purchased the song. So, I did it.

My friend received the "You've been gifted a song" notice on his email, he clicked it, and the song (which he had already purchased from the iTunes Music Store) began to download (now for the second time). This is ridiculous.

It seems that it would be beneficial to both Mac and the users of the Music Store to simply put an "I already own this song" button on the page so that users pick another song in the event of a duplicate.

I know that I will not gift anymore songs until I know that I'm not throwing my money away on something the recipient already has.

Apple says that the gift code is transferrable, but that's no good. How many stores in the world won't let someone return a gift for at least a store credit?

mac-er
Oct 31, 2005, 10:26 AM
I was curious to what would happen if I gifted a song to someone and the recipient already had purchased the song. So, I did it.

My friend received the "You've been gifted a song" notice on his email, he clicked it, and the song (which he had already purchased from the iTunes Music Store) began to download (now for the second time). This is ridiculous.

It seems that it would be beneficial to both Mac and the users of the Music Store to simply put an "I already own this song" button on the page so that users pick another song in the event of a duplicate.

I know that I will not gift anymore songs until I know that I'm not throwing my money away on something the recipient already has.

Apple says that the gift code is transferrable, but that's no good. How many stores in the world won't let someone return a gift for at least a store credit?

Great idea.

If your friend goes to this support page (http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/musicstore/songs/), it says to email Apple if you download the same song twice (about half way down the page).

The email form is at the bottom of that page. If he emails them about it, they will probably credit him a song.

colenesmith
Oct 31, 2005, 10:39 AM
I emailed Apple iTunes Support. They are firm on saying that gifted songs are non-refundable.

balamw
Oct 31, 2005, 06:49 PM
I emailed Apple iTunes Support. They are firm on saying that gifted songs are non-refundable.
So ask for a refund on the one he bought.

I agree the system is silly, maybe if they implemented an Amazon style wishlist?

B