Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
I have been looking to play a Heroes of Might and Magic game.

Being a complete newbie to this type of strategy game where do players of this genre think I should start.

Some say HoMM 3, others say Heroes Chronicles, or what about Kings Bounty the Legend ?

Or any other options would be good :)

Last edited:

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I think HoMM3 is the best of all games in this style.
It runs very well with Wine/Wineskin.
The graphics is a bit dated tho.

Kings Bounty is also pretty fun. There is more story and less conquering, and you also only have one hero, where as in HoMM3 you can have a lot.

Kings Bounty is mac compatible. Although it had a lot of issues for me in the start, but after some patches it has become pretty ok. There are sometimes issues with missing textures at start of the game, then you have to save and just restart the game.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
There is a free browser based kings bounty called legions. Its different from the regular kings bounty game except the battles. Its still a good time waster if you like to play in short bursts.

There is some lag if you dont turn off camera animation. at the start of each sequence the camera flys around giving a birds eye view and performance is not that great. but you can turn the camera sequence animation part off but it doesnt save this setting. the game is better without it anyway.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
There is a free browser based kings bounty called legions. Its different from the regular kings bounty game except the battles. Its still a good time waster if you like to play in short bursts.

There is some lag if you dont turn off camera animation. at the start of each sequence the camera flys around giving a birds eye view and performance is not that great. but you can turn the camera sequence animation part off but it doesnt save this setting. the game is better without it anyway.

Thanks for that pointer but that is not for me.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
HOMM2 and HOMM3. Both had Classic Mac version that don't run anymore, but they both run perfectly (with CD audio for HOMM2) on VMWare! HOMM3 runs perfect under WINE as well, but I love HOMM2 equally. HOMM3 had randomized maps though for endless replayability.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
HOMM2 and HOMM3. Both had Classic Mac version that don't run anymore, but they both run perfectly (with CD audio for HOMM2) on VMWare! HOMM3 runs perfect under WINE as well, but I love HOMM2 equally. HOMM3 had randomized maps though for endless replayability.

Yes, I have already dropped a copy of HoMM3 into a basic Wineskin and it runs like a dream :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.