PDA

View Full Version : Flipboard hinting at iOS 7 icon design?

Mjmar
May 25, 2013, 08:17 AM
I saw this in the share menu on Flipboard and found it interesting - reminded me of all the flat design mockups. You think the mail and messages icons will look similar to this in iOS 7?

Shrink
May 25, 2013, 08:21 AM
I saw this in the share menu on Flipboard and found it interesting - reminded me of all the flat design mockups. You think the mail and messages icons will look similar to this in iOS 7?

Yes.

Definitely.

No question about it!

Although, since I don't know anything at all about what iOS 7 is going to look like (in fact, nobody knows what it will look like) , it is just slightly possible that I could be wrong.

:rolleyes:

beaniemyman
May 25, 2013, 08:55 AM
well, they do have the square and flat look, iOS7's icons will probably look like this.

otismotive77
May 25, 2013, 10:14 AM
well, they do have the square and flat look, iOS7's icons will probably look like this.

yep, they do have a flat and square look, i would like see icons like that in iOS7.

ppeyton1143
May 25, 2013, 10:59 AM

no, i don't think that iOS7's icons will look like that
apple will bring out something new.

irDigital0l
May 25, 2013, 10:18 PM
New icons will be somewhat on those lines.

Cam1
May 25, 2013, 10:21 PM
It looks very clean, but I think it looks too stale for apple to implement into iOS 7.

watchthisspace
May 26, 2013, 01:57 AM
It looks very clean, but I think it looks too stale for apple to implement into iOS 7.

Agreed. Those icons would fit in well on Windows Phone, but it's a far too dramatic change for iOS.

beaniemyman
May 26, 2013, 05:45 AM
no, i don't think that iOS7's icons will look like that
apple will bring out something new.

new? spherical icons?:p

Defender2010
May 26, 2013, 06:23 AM
Apple won't lose the rounded corners of app icons, so I say "flat & rounded corners"

Omne666
May 26, 2013, 11:26 AM
God, flat? Really? Like I want to go back 15+ years in design. Windows 2.1 anyone? Or maybe OS/2 2.0!

I remember the big announcements an eternity back about the 3d look to os'es, transparencies...dock, menu bars. And how beautiful is was all going to be. And now.....flat?

Give me strength! And the disco era returns!

cobbyco
May 26, 2013, 11:41 AM

Like the iPod nano ones?

http://www.apple.com/ipod-nano/

No. Please Apple, no.

tmanto02
May 26, 2013, 06:31 PM
I also noticed this on Flipboard. Looks like their UI designer is a MacRumors member lol

Geekola
May 27, 2013, 12:41 PM

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/6886091/DSC_0691-hero_verge_super_wide.jpg

blitzer09x87
May 27, 2013, 01:03 PM

agreed, they do have the square and flat look, let's see what apple will bring out on june 10th.

Dr McKay
May 27, 2013, 02:44 PM
They use flat icons in the android sharing too so who knows?

whocaresit
May 27, 2013, 05:38 PM
http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/6886091/DSC_0691-hero_verge_super_wide.jpg

This is an example of great design. I want to take the icons out of the screen and chomp chomp! :cool:

MattInOz
May 28, 2013, 01:56 AM
Apple won't lose the rounded corners of app icons, so I say "flat & rounded corners"

I think flipboard are just applying the magic formula (Round Rect) (http://http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?story=Round_Rects_Are_Everywhere.txt) for drawing circles with only addition to retina.

Sirious
May 28, 2013, 09:52 AM

I noticed how many apps are starting to go for a very flat and simple look too.
Take a look at the Argos (UK Shopping App) and eBay apps:

johndallas999
May 28, 2013, 10:36 AM

speculation and procrastination

----------

:eek:This is an example of great design. I want to take the icons out of the screen and chomp chomp! :cool:

Eat icons? :rolleyes::confused:

GoCubsGo
May 28, 2013, 10:39 AM
Flat icons aren't new at all.
I simply do not think that if a flat design is found in an app then it automatically means that is what we'll see in iOS 7. No one, to my knowledge, outside of Apple has seen this new design.

Prototypical
May 28, 2013, 12:22 PM
I noticed how many apps are starting to go for a very flat and simple look too.
Take a look at the Argos (UK Shopping App) and eBay apps:

I think this is just a general design trend, especially given how many of these apps tend to be cross-platform. eBay knows that it needs to have an app that looks good on iOS, but also on Android... while at the same time, keeps a common design language with their web interface.

fivedots
May 28, 2013, 04:02 PM
Nope.

Antoni Nygaard
May 29, 2013, 03:13 AM
The shape and the icons won't change, look and the iPhone and the ipads home button shape. the shape i representing the icons on the home screen.

the same with the new nano look at the home button shape and the icons the same shape, not gonna change.

xraydoc
May 30, 2013, 10:33 AM

It looks like Google's current iOS design style.

bushido
May 30, 2013, 11:46 AM
lets say apple does indeed change every default icon to something more flat wouldnt the 3rd party apps look like crap next to it unless they force every dev to adjust their app icons before iOS7 goes public

xcvista
May 30, 2013, 09:47 PM
Flipboard is known to be notoriously flat. This is their style, which by chance went the same way as Apple did.

Technarchy
May 31, 2013, 12:22 AM
It looks like Google's current iOS design style.

I think Google's recent design language is awesome. I hope they extend it to the android UI as well.

That current TRON look sucks.

xraydoc
Jun 2, 2013, 12:13 PM
I think Google's recent design language is awesome. I hope they extend it to the android UI as well.

That current TRON look sucks.

I prefer the new Google+ and Google Music UI over the ICS/JB look as well.

xcodeaddict
Jun 2, 2013, 07:04 PM
Image (http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/6886091/DSC_0691-hero_verge_super_wide.jpg)

Uhm... those are not spheres, they're circles with rounded, bevelled edges.

Is it just me, or does noone seem to have any faith in Apple's remarkable ability to be able to get this right, and squash 98% of these laughable "rumours"? I think people just get scared of change, then allow rumours and their fear to run away with them in their minds, until they become negative and utterly obsessed!

You can count on one thing; Apple's design decisions will be created to be elegant and pleasing, and without being overly styled and "of the time", to last a LOT longer than the (now) current Google UI theming craze, which will no doubt change in iteration, about 10 times in the next year... No, seriously!

Wait and see - it's hardly an age away!

PBF
Jun 2, 2013, 07:12 PM
One word: it looks freaking ugly, and I definitely don't want it in iOS 7.

iNotion
Jun 2, 2013, 07:21 PM
Clean + flat.
can't get any cleaner or flatter than that