PDA

View Full Version : Folding ranking...

Pages : [1] 2 3

Falleron
Dec 17, 2002, 03:16 PM
Ok, we have a problem. I have just been looking at the rankings + it is obvious to see that we have just HIT a very large wall!!! There are many more teams that can pass us compared to ones we can pass!!!

We need that eMac lab + a few other computers if we are to make any progress!

Any ideas? The altivec client may help + a program to control 2 cpu's would also help.

Rower_CPU
Dec 17, 2002, 04:52 PM
We'll be passing the following teams at our current output (assuming their output stays the same):
Hotmail, Team MacPhilez, OcUK, University of Alabama, Team Alberta, Mods4Me

We'll have the new eMac lab up in mid-January so we should see a good jump in output to a new plateau. I'm really happy with our current ouput, considering the number of active CPUs we have going.

mc68k and I are planning on working on an app in January but who knows how that will go. We do have a system for running 3.12 console on 2 CPUs that works well, but you need to be comfy in the Terminal to do it...

Overall, keep up the good work everyone! :D

Tiauguinho
Dec 17, 2002, 05:14 PM
Im leaving my powerbook G4550 folding 24 hours a day and my PowerMac DP 1 Ghz folding around 16 hours a day. In January or February I'll add an Xserve DP and 2 iMacs... some more processors to help our team! I wish I could afford an IBM server with some 16 Power4 processosr to really give us a push... LOL :)

Chad4Mac
Dec 17, 2002, 05:38 PM
I'll be adding three new proceessors to the group (total of five) by the start of the new year. Of course, 24 hours a day.

Go MacRumors (and the cure of deadly diseases)!

Chad4Mac

Over Achiever
Dec 17, 2002, 06:19 PM
Yeah, I agree that our output is fine.

Anyway, I'll be adding a GHz powerbook very soon.

mc68k
Dec 17, 2002, 06:44 PM
i remeber when our weekly output was ~1900 just a couple months ago. now it's ~3600. we've had a steady increase in active folding members/processors in the last few months. i have no doubt (with the size of our community) that we haven't reached our full potential. more people will join us now, just for the fact that we have a top 40 ranking.

now does that mean dramatic increases in overall output? no. but it does mean that our ouput will gradually go up as members add steady output to replace others who can't.

since this is a mac-based team, a greater percentage of the machines used here are macs. so to overcome this weakness, (relatively speaking) our greatest strength is steady output from lots of machines. we obviously can't be in the top 10, but we can strive to be the top mac team. i've never really seen our ouput go down like other teams, i've only seen it go up. how long this trend can continue is anyone's guess, but needless to say, i think this team is destined for a much higher ranking, possiibly due to its cohesiveness. many members have pledged future machines and labs to "the cause" which gives me a feeling that people here are looking to the future and really do care about what we're doing to say such things.

labs obviously contribute greatly, but are complemented by a vast grouping of machines (which could be considered a "lab" in a sense).

bousozoku
Dec 17, 2002, 09:18 PM
Yes, it feels very steady these days.

When I first switched, there were only about 86 names in the list, now there are over 120. Many of them aren't active apparently because my G3/400 couldn't pass so many and get to #32 without some passive help from those not participating.

In the past three months, things have changed and it's nice to see others climbing the ladder. Now, if we each had a rack of 48 XServes... :)

Falleron
Dec 18, 2002, 03:34 AM
I am just a bit worried about the number of teams catching us up at them moment :

Asusboards.com, AthlonXP, Maximum PC Magazine, LITTLEWHITEDOG, Russia. To name a few.

The most annoying one is ATHLONXP!! I bet many have P4's, but, we cant have that!

Tiauguinho
Dec 18, 2002, 07:33 AM
Hmmm... We need to let our G4's work strongly on this one, we can't let a Athlon team pass us! No way!

bousozoku
Dec 18, 2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Falleron
I am just a bit worried about the number of teams catching us up at them moment :

Asusboards.com, AthlonXP, Maximum PC Magazine, LITTLEWHITEDOG, Russia. To name a few.

The most annoying one is ATHLONXP!! I bet many have P4's, but, we cant have that!

Do you really think a team called Athlon anything has Pentium processors? I doubt that seriously. :D I'd think it more likely that they have Athlon processors which are also way faster than Motorola G-anything processors, except when they're powered off.

We'll get through it, we just need more members to contribute.

Falleron
Dec 18, 2002, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by bousozoku

Do you really think a team called Athlon anything has Pentium processors? I doubt that seriously. :D I'd think it more likely that they have Athlon processors which are also way faster than Motorola G-anything processors, except when they're powered off.

We'll get through it, we just need more members to contribute.
I bet they have some P4's in there!!! They are PC people! They are a strange bunch! :)

Lol

Wes
Dec 18, 2002, 04:59 PM
Because you guys are worried and thos Xp's are catching up I'll throw my Dual ghz into the ring...

mc68k
Dec 18, 2002, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by W-_-W
Because you guys are worried and thos Xp's are catching up I'll throw my Dual ghz into the ring... hey thanks for the support, every machine helps. how the hell do you say your name?

bousozoku
Dec 18, 2002, 05:28 PM

I bet they have some P4's in there!!! They are PC people! They are a strange bunch! :)

Lol

Come now. That's what you say about those of us living in the states. :D It's probably true though...not the part about the P4s...the other part.

W-_-W:

Excellent!

Wes
Dec 18, 2002, 05:28 PM
In response to 68k:
Just a face, I'll PM arn to see if I can change it.

Falleron
Dec 18, 2002, 05:32 PM

Come now. That's what you say about those of us living in the states. :D It's probably true though...not the part about the P4s...the other part.

W-_-W:

Excellent!
I'm only joking about PC users being a strange bunch :) . Some are I am sure though. I wish there was a way I could prove that there are P4 users in the Athlon group! Could always find a P4 system and add some units to it (not).

Nah, I have nothing against people in the States. I want to come over sometime. However, I will always live here in the UK, its great.

howard
Dec 18, 2002, 05:36 PM
i'm just curious about some things...is it bad to have a laptop running all the time cpu at full doing folding? and i notice when i fold my battery goes dead like 8x quicker...is that bad for the battery life?

Rower_CPU
Dec 18, 2002, 05:38 PM
howard:
You really should run folding only when plugged into AC power, or at least as much as you can.

Over Achiever
Dec 18, 2002, 06:04 PM
Well lets just say we have PCs running in a Mac team...so Pentiums in an athlon team doesn't mean much :p IMO.

Edited the spelling

bousozoku
Dec 18, 2002, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by howard
i'm just curious about some things...is it bad to have a laptop running all the time cpu at full doing folding? and i notice when i fold my battery goes dead like 8x quicker...is that bad for the battery life?

That's because of all the disk access. As Rower says, keep it on AC.

W-_-W:

Hey, it's okay...I understand. :D I'm sure you'll get to Orlando some day. It would seem to be a big destination for the English.

Over Achiever:

One thing to note: They're Macs, not MACS. Thanks. You may now return to your regularly scheduled programme, already in progress. :)

Wes
Dec 18, 2002, 08:53 PM

W-_-W:

Hey, it's okay...I understand. :D I'm sure you'll get to Orlando some day. It would seem to be a big destination for the English.

Over Achiever:

You've lost me... :confused: :confused: :confused:

Megaquad
Dec 21, 2002, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by Tiauguinho
Im leaving my powerbook G4550 folding 24 hours a day and my PowerMac DP 1 Ghz folding around 16 hours a day. In January or February I'll add an Xserve DP and 2 iMacs... some more processors to help our team! I wish I could afford an IBM server with some 16 Power4 processosr to really give us a push... LOL :)
You guys are buying macs just to get them into folding? Wow... :p
I would help but my poor 350 MHz doesn't help much :(
Anyway, I'll be happy if you give me some spare 1gig Powerbook so I can fold :D

Over Achiever
Dec 21, 2002, 06:53 AM
Hey, any help is welcome.

I'm folding on a 200 MHz Pentium MMX PC...look how far it's gotten me;)

And no, we're not buying computers to run F@H (at least I'm not). It just so happens that when we need a new computer, its conveient to run folding on it. I'll run folding when I get my GHz powerbook.;)

You should do the same when you get yours.:)

bousozoku
Dec 21, 2002, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Megaquad

You guys are buying macs just to get them into folding? Wow... :p
I would help but my poor 350 MHz doesn't help much :(
Anyway, I'll be happy if you give me some spare 1gig Powerbook so I can fold :D

Although I think about buying machines for folding, I don't. What Tiago can do, I don't know. :)

I would have my dad's iMac running folding but he's still on Mac OS 9.x and he can barely use that right now.

That 350 MHz can help. My older machine is a PM G3/400 and it's at position # 33, so you too can achieve.

iShater
Dec 23, 2002, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Over Achiever
Well lets just say we have PCs running in a Mac team...so Pentiums in an athlon team doesn't mean much :p IMO.

Edited the spelling

I 100% agree! ;) I know I don't have any Macs yet! :D

benixau
Dec 30, 2002, 07:12 AM
does anyone know how to utilise a DP mac for folding. i run folding now but if i could use these two o/c 867s more it would be alot better.

i really want to and that fact that all of the MP instructions from folding are only for pc doesnt help much.

ps. 1xMDD 1xAMDXP in folding for us.

bousozoku
Dec 30, 2002, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by benixau
does anyone know how to utilise a DP mac for folding. i run folding now but if i could use these two o/c 867s more it would be alot better.

i really want to and that fact that all of the MP instructions from folding are only for pc doesnt help much.

ps. 1xMDD 1xAMDXP in folding for us.

I've been doing it for a few months now with good results. You can search some of the Distributing Computing threads for answers as I have already done that. I have several shell scripts to aid in running folding through the terminal that I'm willing to share.

teabgs
Dec 30, 2002, 08:25 AM
to bring this back to the steady output discussion (sorry).... I have not run Folding in almost two weeks. I'm going back home today though and will have my dual 1.25 up and running and folding yet again.

I'm glad the output has stayed steady without my machine, and hopefully I can crank it up some more.

we really need to get the people that are not active save the one time they ran folding to keep going. Then we'd really have some numbers!

LWD_JAmZSeSSioN
Jan 8, 2003, 10:10 PM
[B]

........, LITTLEWHITEDOG,............

Thats right, you should be worried. As soon as we take care of MacNN......YOUR NEXT

muhahahahaha

http://www.littlewhitedog.com/forum/default.asp

Rower_CPU
Jan 9, 2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by LWD_JAmZSeSSioN

Thats right, you should be worried. As soon as we take care of MacNN......YOUR NEXT

muhahahahaha

Tsk, tsk, tsk...don't count your chickens before they're hatched. ;)

medea
Jan 9, 2003, 01:18 PM

muhahahahaha

what a crappy pc site you have there.....and anyways you have six groups to worry about before you even get close to macrumors.

Interiority
Jan 9, 2003, 02:17 PM
OK - I've just joined the MacRumors team with my iMac and an old AMD machine. I'll add my iBook and an Athlon when I get home tonight... Good to be here.

Over Achiever
Jan 9, 2003, 08:21 PM
Interiority,

Great to have you on the team.

bousozoku
Jan 9, 2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Interiority
OK - I've just joined the MacRumors team with my iMac and an old AMD machine. I'll add my iBook and an Athlon when I get home tonight... Good to be here.

Excellent! Thanks for joining! :)

mc68k
Jan 10, 2003, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Interiority
Good to be here. Good to have you on the team. welcome aboard. :)

Interiority
Jan 12, 2003, 08:08 AM
OK - After two and a half days of intensive computation, I'm finally on the scoreboard - ranked 103 out of 149. My ascent starts here...
:)

howard
Feb 7, 2003, 10:46 AM
folding ranking...we're in trouble for sure now. we will go up to 37 in just a few days as we pass tweakers australia...but then after that the only other team we could pass is mods4me...and that might take awhile...while on the other hand little white dog will pass us very soon...and check out the stats of MSU ACM...and if we don't get folding like crazy pimprig and russia are going to beat us too...so if we don't get lots more processes we're going to be out of the top 40 not much longer than you think. now i only have an ibook but i've been leaving it on all day, its not much but its all i can do. but i am going up slowly but surely in the ranks, which makes me think theres lots of room for our memebers to grow.

Rower_CPU
Feb 7, 2003, 10:52 AM
Yeah, I've been meaning to start drumming up business again, but haven't had the time...

I think it's time for another member drive. :)

Mr. Anderson
Feb 7, 2003, 11:21 AM
I should be up and going on a Dual 1.25 next week, and I'll have to update the 450 at home again, get back into the processing.

Anyone know what the average is for the Dual 1.25? And are there any issues on getting it to use both processors?

D

mc68k
Feb 7, 2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
And are there any issues on getting it to use both processors?
yes, its has to be done manually. i have a script i'm improving at the moment.

i'll make a thread this weekend about it. it's worked on 3 people's dual machines thus far...i'm just adding some input statements.

teabgs is folding w/a dual 1.25, u might want to ask him about folding time.

howard
Feb 8, 2003, 11:02 AM
our weekly output is at 6000!!!!! thats the highest i've seen it. Keep it up and maybe we can hold our position or advance even further. I've been noticing a few more names up on the team list too which is great! Hopefully the new members will keep folding.

Mr. Anderson
Feb 8, 2003, 11:50 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mc68k
yes, its has to be done manually. i have a script i'm improving at the moment.

i'll make a thread this weekend about it. it's worked on 3 people's dual machines thus far...i'm just adding some input statements.

teabgs is folding w/a dual 1.25, u might want to ask him about folding time. [/QUOTE

excellent, I'm going to have the machine mid to later part of next week. So I'll probably get it up and running with folding shortly afterward.

D

teabgs
Feb 8, 2003, 09:46 PM
dual 1.25 folding time....It depends on the number of frames...I've noticed that 400 frames takes about 40 hours. So if you have 2 400 framers going at once....you get 800 frames in about 40 hours :D

I don't know how that compares to other setups as I've only folded on this one....but I assume it's good ???

MrMacMan
Feb 8, 2003, 10:23 PM
Yay we may be able to hold off little dog.
anyway, what is one team anyway?

howard
Feb 11, 2003, 06:00 PM
wooo hoooo!!! number 37!!! yaaaaay macrumors rules the earth!!!!!

what?...some i'm excited...wouldn't you be if you folded proteins all day everyday?...and if your not...you should!!!!

zach
Feb 16, 2003, 10:29 PM
hey, i know this is the wrong place, but how do i join the folding team? I have the software....

zach
Feb 16, 2003, 10:31 PM
oh, i figured it out...

MrMacMan
Feb 16, 2003, 10:36 PM
Zap all you need to do is hit edit next time. :rolleyes:

LWD_JAmZSeSSioN
Feb 17, 2003, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by medea
what a crappy pc site you have there.....and anyways you have six groups to worry about before you even get close to macrumors.

That was pretty rude.......I come here to have a little team fun and you blast my site!

I guess I'll take myself back to the pound. Feel free to delete me from the membership database....i wont be returning.

dstorey
Feb 17, 2003, 08:06 AM
well for what its worth, I've joined the team as 'david'. My machines still only a 200 Mhz MMX pentium but it's all I can afford right now :-( I won't be a switcher till i can find a job. I've been folding 2 days solid now and the poor things only done 10 frames. I'll never get to the 10 day deadline at this rate! Suppose at least every little bit helps.

DannyZR2
Feb 17, 2003, 08:30 AM
i wanna join.. just got a dp867.. how do i?

dstorey
Feb 17, 2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by DannyZR2
i wanna join.. just got a dp867.. how do i?

go to http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html . download whichever client you want, the command line seems best if you know your way round that otherwise the graphic client then when you install it and it asks for your team number type '3446'

happy folding :)

mc68k
Feb 17, 2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by DannyZR2
i wanna join.. just got a dp867.. how do i? if you just DL it and run it etc. then you will only be running off 1 processor. since you have two and they have to be set up manually, try my DP folding script. its pretty easy and makes setup a snap if you read the doc.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20107

thanks 4 joining the team, we really need the help.

teabgs
Feb 17, 2003, 11:49 AM
The script is awesome....use it. I just turned in a wu worth 19.70 points, from one processor, turned one in last night from the other....Im currently working on a 19.70 wu and a 23.60 wu.....they used to finish around the same time...but they a little staggered when one was a higher one then the other....it's kinda fun having them stagger too....

MrMacMan
Feb 18, 2003, 12:46 AM
Now Mc68k show us your L33T skills by making a SIMD code making all G4s go super fast...

Comeon you can do it.

BTW We are gonna be bumped down again by Little dog, unless we get some new people or labs or something... I donno.

Check it out.
http://www.statsman.org/folding2stats/html/3446_future.gif

Or...
http://www.statsman.org/folding2stats/html/3446_rate.gif

Why are we dropping...?
Bah whatever... it is all for a good cause...
I suppose...

mc68k
Feb 18, 2003, 12:58 AM
macnn is poised to take us soon too. the output from rower and i has fluxuated from recent lab imaging but should stabilize if it hasn't already.

we've had a good influx of recent members, but if we're desperate enough we could try the community section to drum up some help. what we're after idealy are people who want to fold thus giving folding a priority in their computing experience. one-timers do add up to a lot, but are not enough to keep us moving up.

we're mid 6000 we need to be 8000+ to go anywhere really. these things just take time i guess. we've had promises/mentions of labs, crays, xserve racks, etc. i just hope sometime one of these will send our team to the big time.

in the meantime i brought up a few more machines today. i'd do my library pilgrimage (at risk to myself), but i don't know if it'll help us any at this point. i will not beg for support, it really has to come from the heart.

Rower_CPU
Feb 18, 2003, 12:59 AM
Actually we're not dropping. Our output has been steadily increasing since we brought the eMacs online.

The problem is that our rate of increase is less than that of other teams. LWD has dramatically increased output in the last few weeks (from ~7000 to ~9000) but we've only managed to increase 1200 or so...

In short, we need more members folding regularly to get our output to increase again.

MrMacMan
Feb 18, 2003, 01:09 AM
Fine... Let me restate
Compared to some other teams our output is not rising like others.

Bah... whatever happened to all of those labs and that cray system...

They all fade away don't they... bah.

Okay we need to start to get our new member to start to join... now how can we do that... ;)
Spread the word people.

howard
Feb 18, 2003, 01:15 AM
yes more members. i watch the charts very closely and for awhile our output was stuck at mid 5000s and now its been at mid 6000s for awhile, but we need more members that are willing to fold all the time. i've also heard of a lot of promises, lets just hope they can come through. and i bet that with the help of mc68k's dual processor script our output should increase more. i'd be all for a new member drive. We i think have to advertise it not only as something that its worth while but that is also fun and make it sort of a game or sport. i think that will make the guys with the powermacs join because there machines can slaughter most.

mc68k
Feb 18, 2003, 01:24 AM
i think that will make the guys with the powermacs join because there machines can slaughter most. DP QS and MDD macs yes (that's why i bothered to make the script), normal macs no. i h8 to say it, but the kind of raw non-altivec power needed for folding is best had with a PC.

a high-GHz P4 is the best 4 folding from my experiences. the g4s are pretty much on par with the p3s. but dual macs put to use properly are THE best (almost two machines worth).

shhhh a great of the output for this mac team is PC-based

MrMacMan
Feb 18, 2003, 09:46 AM
Yeah I noticed that some weird feature said that like 70% units came from windoze and I got all freeked out but I thought that it is all mc68k units that did it.

Damn you! ;)

We need a folding stats page like macnn has but whatever...
Littlewhitedog - We have a chance when we get everyone to fold for 10 days.
Macnn - god damn people are coming back.
MSU_ACM - Were f'd. Their output is loke 6,000+ ours.

Good news:
Team alberta - IS gonna go down.
Mods4Me - will, eventually fall.

MrMacMan
Feb 18, 2003, 09:55 AM
Fold!
That will be my message while away. I'll leave my computer on I don't run the command line because it fails to load, so the graphical client is fine.

I leave it on, let the monitor shut off and that is all good.

Rower_CPU
Feb 18, 2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by MrMacman
Yeah I noticed that some weird feature said that like 70% units came from windoze and I got all freeked out but I thought that it is all mc68k units that did it.

Damn you! ;)

We need a folding stats page like macnn has but whatever...
Littlewhitedog - We have a chance when we get everyone to fold for 10 days.
Macnn - god damn people are coming back.
MSU_ACM - Were f'd. Their output is loke 6,000+ ours.

Good news:
Team alberta - IS gonna go down.
Mods4Me - will, eventually fall.

lol...yeah, mc68k and I have a lot of PCs over here...

Funny thing about MacNN...I was over at their boards and I think their output jumped up so much because of LWD. One of the guys from the LWD team was over there talking trash and got the MacNN guys all fired up...

Ironic that they'll end up passing us now, unless we get something new going.

Rower_CPU
Feb 18, 2003, 10:05 AM
BTW, MacNN is nice enough to make their page work for us too:

http://teamstats.macnn.com/fold/stats.php?page=b1&TID=3446

MrMacMan
Feb 18, 2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
BTW, MacNN is nice enough to make their page work for us too:

http://teamstats.macnn.com/fold/stats.php?page=b1&TID=3446

Yeah but I don't want to see our 'threat' level... :rolleyes:

I donno we need to make something up like that.

howard
Feb 18, 2003, 03:19 PM
yeah we should have something like that, it makes it more fun. I personally love looking at graphs and things like that. do you think something like that is possible here on macrumors?

Rower_CPU
Feb 18, 2003, 04:16 PM
It's doable, but would take some time...

It's a possibility in the future, but not immediately. (at least not for me)

I'd be more concernced with getting new/former constributors to the process.

Raven
Feb 18, 2003, 05:53 PM
Greetings from Team MacNN :)

Looks like you are having the same problems we had with the little white pups :) .
Glad you like our stats pages Reader50 has done a great job on them. Good luck with LWD

Rower_CPU
Feb 18, 2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Raven
Greetings from Team MacNN :)

Looks like you are having the same problems we had with the little white pups :) .
Glad you like our stats pages Reader50 has done a great job on them. Good luck with LWD

Thanks, Raven! You guys have really stepped up, too, and are on track to pass us eventually if something doesn't change soon.

We'll see what we can do. :)

medea
Feb 18, 2003, 06:35 PM
well I know my output has been steady, but it looks like there are a lot of members who havnt ran the folding unit in a while, if those people woke up I'm sure we would get moving again.

Shaktai
Feb 19, 2003, 01:02 AM
As Raven said, glad you noticed us. And yes we do track all the other Mac Teams, so feel free to stop by and check your stats. Plenty of great individual stats too. Not every team can have a stats guru like Reader50.

http://teamstats.macnn.com/fold/stats.php?TID=3446&page=s1 is the individual stats for your team. By clicking on the number in the left hand column, it will show you where you are in relationshipe to other team members and provide plenty of personal graphs. And if you are a super stats junky, change the view level from "basic" to insane.

You are right though, we have a "history" with LWD from SETI and they did get us riled a bit, but the momentum has continued since then. I am surprised they haven't stopped by here. they usually like to taunt teams they are about to pass.

- Another Team Macnn'r

britboy
Feb 19, 2003, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by medea
well I know my output has been steady, but it looks like there are a lot of members who havnt ran the folding unit in a while, if those people woke up I'm sure we would get moving again.

I've been running folding non-stop for the past 2 weeks, on just 1 wu. Goodness knows what the value of it is going to be, but it's taking forever to do.

Once i get my home network sorted out, i'll have a tibook 500, athlon 1GHz, and hopefully an athlon 1.4GHz working on this. Just have to figure out what i've done wrong with the airport network, as currently only one computer can be connected at time :(

dstorey
Feb 19, 2003, 07:29 AM
do I have to finish a protien before I show up in the stats as I signed up on Sat and have completed about 40 frames so far (slow computer) but i don't appear on any of the lists. My user name is david.

teabgs
Feb 19, 2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by dstorey
do I have to finish a protien before I show up in the stats as I signed up on Sat and have completed about 40 frames so far (slow computer) but i don't appear on any of the lists. My user name is david.

yes you do...then it will take a little bit for that to show...but then you're on there.

Rower_CPU
Feb 19, 2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Shaktai
As Raven said, glad you noticed us. And yes we do track all the other Mac Teams, so feel free to stop by and check your stats. Plenty of great individual stats too. Not every team can have a stats guru like Reader50.

http://teamstats.macnn.com/fold/stats.php?TID=3446&page=s1 is the individual stats for your team. By clicking on the number in the left hand column, it will show you where you are in relationshipe to other team members and provide plenty of personal graphs. And if you are a super stats junky, change the view level from "basic" to insane.

You are right though, we have a "history" with LWD from SETI and they did get us riled a bit, but the momentum has continued since then. I am surprised they haven't stopped by here. they usually like to taunt teams they are about to pass.

- Another Team Macnn'r

Kudos on your great stats pages. It's quite an impressive undertaking!

Actually, Jamz Session has stopped by once, a couple months ago, and I'm surprised he hasn't come back again.

Toast
Feb 19, 2003, 01:16 PM
Greetings from team LWD,
[rant... rave... trash talk... blah... blahhh...more trash talk...etc...]

Actually just stopped by to say hello, my calculations show we're gonna catch you about March 2nd, so leave out a few doggie treats for us to snack on as we pass ok?

Of course if you pick up the pace some, we may never catch you...

Ok, some may see this as trash talking, but I prefer to look at it as generating some excitement between teams, I never look to hurt feelings, just rile people up a litte, in the big picture it helps the research. :)

Toast

Rower_CPU
Feb 19, 2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Toast
Greetings from team LWD,

Actually just stopped by to say hello, my calculations show we're gonna catch you about March 2nd, so leave out a few doggie treats for us to snack on as we pass ok?

Of course if you pick up the pace some, we may never catch you...

Ok, some may see this as trash talking, but I prefer to look at it as generating some excitement between teams, I never look to hurt feelings, just rile people up a litte, in the big picture it helps the research. :)

Toast

LOL. Thanks for stopping by!

Friendly competition is fine...heck, it's what keeps people folding most of the time.

Stopping by to say "Hello" politely is definitely appreciated. :)

We'll see what we can do to up the output...but with the 4000 point/week advantage you have it would be tough to prevent you from passing.

teabgs
Feb 19, 2003, 03:26 PM
Hey RowDawg....don't you guys need another lab at your place or something ;)

c'mon....abuse your powers!!!

again....IF our dept gets new machines this summer I can prolly add around 20-30 Dual PowerMacs....whatever configuration we may get....IS there a way to fold while waiting for someone to log in though? Cause that could be an issue...

Also, this may never happen, and if it does it will not be until May earliest.

mc68k
Feb 19, 2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by teabgs
....IS there a way to fold while waiting for someone to log in though? Cause that could be an issue...

Also, this may never happen, and if it does it will not be until May earliest. cool, glad to see ya representin' :)

yeah my script already does the folding @ yon login winder. w007!

dstorey
Feb 19, 2003, 04:57 PM
Just as a thought, maybe Arn could post the teams progress once a week/fortnight on page 2. It would maybe get a few more people intrested that dunno about macrumors team folding. Maybe even make a special team folding t shirt or mug to sell in the store and the profits could go to buy a nice shiny new mac for the to fold on...though this is unlikely..just a thought...ok maybe macs cost too so that bad idea as too many would have to be sold.

howard
Feb 20, 2003, 08:17 PM
i took a little trip over to macnn networks let them know that we're gonna do our best to keep our position. so lets make sure we do that!!! ok? it seems like our active cpus are slowly getting less and less. fold people! fold! and how bout that new member drive? maybe one of the senior members should start a thread...i certainly would if you want me too.

teabgs
Feb 20, 2003, 08:34 PM
we dont need more members.....we just need all our members to stay active. It seems to me that only a small number are actually active any more....dont just fold once and stop....yes it can take a while, but it doesnt do anythign bad for anyone....only good. So if it takes you a while....you wont get to the top 20, but it doesnt matter, in the long run you could be saving your own life.

Rower_CPU
Feb 20, 2003, 08:43 PM
we dont need more members.....we just need all our members to stay active. It seems to me that only a small number are actually active any more....dont just fold once and stop....yes it can take a while, but it doesnt do anythign bad for anyone....only good. So if it takes you a while....you wont get to the top 20, but it doesnt matter, in the long run you could be saving your own life.

Good points. It helps to get the message out to people who might not browse the DC forum, too.

That's why some of us have put some folding info in our sigs...might be a good idea for more people to do it, too. :D

jelloshotsrule
Feb 20, 2003, 09:08 PM
if chuckass's script works this time. i'm back in.

howard
Feb 20, 2003, 09:09 PM
i have another idea. how many of you folders get other people to fold, and talk to them about it, outside of macrumors? i'm sure some of you do, but if you don't, and you know someone that might be interested, just let him know to put his team at 3446! we could get active folders to branch out in the nonmacrumor community

no i'm sure some of you already do this but i thought i would just mention it anyway

also yes...a lot of the people on our team jsut don't regularly participate...but my guess is they've tried it and just don't want to and probably won't again...which is unfortunate...so i'm thinking new fresh members that want to fold is a good idea.

teabgs
Feb 20, 2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
if chuckass's script works this time. i'm back in.

It does work now....I've been using it for a while now. Been climbin on up an' all

I was wondering why you were moving down lately...

jelloshotsrule
Feb 20, 2003, 10:01 PM
seems to be working. the reboot is the real test

should get in a few units first though.

ADDED: i'm on frame 7 am as of 11 am est. i think i started it around 8 pm? so it's a biggie i guess. two biggies.

pimentoLoaf
Feb 21, 2003, 05:59 PM
Unfortunately, we g3'ers are having a hard time with these 2-week and 2-week-plus data packets. Will our iBooks and iMacs ever sleep?

kishba
Feb 21, 2003, 10:28 PM
heh, for awhile i completely forgot about folding. but finally i'm back with arn's old g4 350... it'll fold almost all day, every day.

i'd like to have my powerbook fold, but it gets too hot & noisy

kishba
Feb 21, 2003, 10:33 PM
hmm does anyone have an up-to-date copy of the gui folding control client... is it even kept up to date? (i can't get to the site that used to host it anymore)

i'd kinda like to use it rather than run the folding client from the terminal

mc68k
Feb 24, 2003, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by kishba
hmm does anyone have an up-to-date copy of the gui folding control client... is it even kept up to date? (i can't get to the site that used to host it anymore)

i'd kinda like to use it rather than run the folding client from the terminal yeah maybe i or someone else will make one someday

the one you refer to stopped working w/jag

there is one that monitors your progress, but it doesn't set it up 4 u

jethroted
Feb 24, 2003, 09:50 AM
Well, I'll help out. I'm now running 5 computers all the time.

800 mhz G4 - imac
1.8 Ghz P4 - Dell
1 Ghz P3 - Compaq
800 Mhz AMD - Generic
600 Mhz Celeron - Generic

I'll try to get some friends in on the deal.

iShater
Feb 24, 2003, 04:38 PM
Is the score calculated based on what project you pick? i.e. do you have to tell it to go after Folding? cause i think I had it pick its own project, and like Gnome@home or something got 99% of my results! :mad:

GeeYouEye
Feb 24, 2003, 05:02 PM
Question: I've been working on one unit for the past month, I accdentally let the screensaver and command line or graphical client, the whole unit restarts... it's really annoying, as it doesn't happen consistantly... only on occasion. anyone know why?

mc68k
Feb 24, 2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by GeeYouEye
Question: I've been working on one unit for the past monththat may be your problem right there. take a look at this (http://folding.stanford.edu/psummary.html) page for deadline information.
I accdentally let the screensaver and command line or graphical client, the whole unit restarts... it's really annoying, as it doesn't happen consistantly... only on occasion. anyone know why? can u clarify? i'm not sure what u mean.

MrMacMan
Feb 25, 2003, 05:59 PM
Okay... I'm quite pissed...
My dad shut off my computer before leaving on my vacation... god damn it.
I could have helped some... errrr.

Okay well I'm back from santa domingo (it seems so cold in NYC now :D )
Ech... I'm quite pissed now.

whatever... I'll be folding... forever.

Intill I get more friendly with my schools computer people (and they put on X) I can't do much to help but to try to slap my friends into maybe running it... :(

menoinjun
Feb 26, 2003, 09:30 AM
Ok, so I just bagged Seti@Home for Folding, and I used the terminal patch to get things working on my DP 533.

I am looking at my CPU meter and I am seeing that both processors are maxed out all of the time now. That can't be good!! I this really something I really want to be doing to my computer? I don't want to burn out any of my chips or anything!

Anyone have any ideas?

-Pete

Toast
Feb 26, 2003, 10:15 AM
For proper functioning, you need to remember to change your team number to 10763, heheheh

Seriously, that's normal for your DP to be maxed out, it's working as hard as it can !

howard
Feb 26, 2003, 10:21 AM
macrumors team number is 3446..10763 is the team little white dog, a rival of our team

smooth move toast

btw i'm running folding maxing out my processors but nothing at all bad as happened, and i've never heard of anything bad happening from doing that except from people who built there own computer and didn't install heat sinks or fans of any kind properly...but thats there fault.

Stelliform
Feb 26, 2003, 10:45 AM
I saw the thread and just started folding. I have it running on a. . .

G4 1Ghz
G3 350
AMD Athlon 650
AMD K6 350
PII 350
PII 366
P Pro 180

Hopefully one of them will finish a work unit by tomorrow so I can get on the stats page. :)

mc68k
Feb 26, 2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Stelliform
I saw the thread and just started folding. I have it running on a. . .

G4 1Ghz
G3 350
AMD Athlon 650
AMD K6 350
PII 350
PII 366
P Pro 180

Hopefully one of them will finish a work unit by tomorrow so I can get on the stats page. :) holy smokes!!!

the <=366 will take a LONG time for any protein, but the others will be very productive. thanks for adding so many machines! :) :)

Stelliform
Feb 26, 2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by mc68k
holy smokes!!!

I just hate to see a good computer cycle go to waste. :)

GeeYouEye
Feb 26, 2003, 07:06 PM
that may be your problem right there. take a look at this (http://folding.stanford.edu/psummary.html) page for deadline information.
can u clarify? i'm not sure what u mean. [/B]

Argh... it just happened again, of it's own accord...

well, until now, on certain occasions that I'd have the terminal or graphical version of F@H running, the F@H screen saver would turn on, and all of my progress on the WU would vanish, and it wouldn't d/l another unit. Now it seems to be doing it randomly, no matter which version is running. It's very aggravating. At one point it went from 97% to zero. Then 58% to zero, 30-some-odd% to zero a couple times, and most recently, 26% to 0. All without d/ling a new unit.

MrMacMan
Feb 26, 2003, 07:33 PM
Don't run the screen saver version. Just make your screen shut off and let the graphical client run.

I don't know why that is bugging tho... If you have graphical client running and you go into sleep mode it is supposedly just gonna keep on working... hm...

howard
Feb 26, 2003, 07:33 PM
you have the folding screensaver and graphic or terminal app on at the same time? you can only have one at a time running at the same time...just pick one of the 3. that might be whats screwing it up

mc68k
Feb 26, 2003, 08:44 PM
ive never had folding go backwards, and ive run it on god knows how many machines, so something must really be awry.

so that's all i can really say. pick just one of the clients if that helps.

bousozoku
Feb 26, 2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by GeeYouEye
Argh... it just happened again, of it's own accord...

well, until now, on certain occasions that I'd have the terminal or graphical version of F@H running, the F@H screen saver would turn on, and all of my progress on the WU would vanish, and it wouldn't d/l another unit. Now it seems to be doing it randomly, no matter which version is running. It's very aggravating. At one point it went from 97% to zero. Then 58% to zero, 30-some-odd% to zero a couple times, and most recently, 26% to 0. All without d/ling a new unit.

I would be going into the Library>Screen Savers folder and removing the folding screensaver, if I were you, before it has a chance to work again.

howard
Feb 26, 2003, 09:10 PM
has everyone noticed the jump output in the last couple days? the new users have definitely been helping. don't stop folding! lets slaughter the next few teams with our cycles!

mc68k
Feb 26, 2003, 09:19 PM
has everyone noticed the jump output in the last couple days? hard to tell. statsman hasn't updated for like half the day.

but i'm hopeful that in the next few days, all the newcomers cash in and give us a boost.

howard
Feb 26, 2003, 09:28 PM
yeah...i just saw these at the macnn site:

Members: 181 (+9)
Stats: 111,561
Units: 26,453
Avg Rate: 1.05 K
Spot Rate: 1.64 K
Power: 213.5 GHz

thats the highest i've seen our power and spot rate in a long time...and +9 memeber!! in just a few days is great, and to think we're gonna get more, its fairly exciting

Sedulous
Feb 27, 2003, 12:48 AM
I'm gonna put a few idle computers to work too. I have a cube and a dual 1GHz system doing very little.

mc68k
Feb 27, 2003, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Sedulous
I'm gonna put a few idle computers to work too. I have a cube and a dual 1GHz system doing very little. cool, use my script for the dual processor machine.

we have better daily output at this point than macnn and whitedog. this recent push has really helped us out. way to go people. keep it up.

phampton81
Feb 27, 2003, 01:37 AM
I'm just posting here to say hi and tell you that I just added my 1ghz amd to the cause, I may be the newest member of the team to post results. I go by the name PJ. So heres to folding.

Over Achiever
Feb 27, 2003, 07:51 AM
Welcome to folding phampton81 :)

That 1 GHz AMD will be nice...my 200 MHz and 550 MHz are bogging down with the more sophisticated proteins...(I'm entering my third week folding on my 550 MHz laptop and the sixth week folding on my 200 MHz desktop:()

So yeah, welcome! Hopefully this won't be a one shot deal, and you'll continue folding past the first one ;). Same thing applies to the other new members...please don't just fold one protein and go.:(

Stelliform
Feb 27, 2003, 08:35 AM
Do the point values for the protien relate to how long it takes to process. For example My Athlon 650 finished a 5 pt protien in 24 hours. My 1 Ghz TiBook is at 33% in 20 hours. But it is working on a 25 point protien. Is that about right for the G4 in the TiBook?

I am running Aquamon at the same time. Mabey I should shut it down....

howard
Feb 27, 2003, 11:57 AM
yes stelliform the points relate to how long it takes to process...for example on my ibook a 6pt protein will take about a day or 2 while a 20 point will take 4 or 5 or more days.

Over Achiever
Feb 27, 2003, 06:58 PM
Do the point values for the protien relate to how long it takes to process. For example My Athlon 650 finished a 5 pt protien in 24 hours. My 1 Ghz TiBook is at 33% in 20 hours. But it is working on a 25 point protien. Is that about right for the G4 in the TiBook?
Lets do some math:
Athlon 650 MHz
The 5 pt. protein finished in 24 hours, so about 4.8 hours per point.
Powerbook 1000 MHz
The 25 pt. protein is 33% finished, so about 8.25 pts has finished in 20 hours, which is about 2.4 hours per point.

Therefore the ti is about twice as fast which makes sense since folding is NOT altivec optimized, so the velocity engine doesn't make much impact. I think you're fine.

Of course, I have to do a comparison with my computer :-p a 550 MHz laptop. I'm crunching on a 73 point protein, and it takes five hours for each percent. Therefore thats five hours per 7.3 points, or an amazing 1.5 hours per point. :D

This is prolly because of the protein, not the computer. ;) Anyway, if you're interested, it's a 50 day deadline ;). By the time I finished this protein I'll get my 17" pb.:D

MrMacMan
Feb 27, 2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Over Achiever
Lets do some math:
Athlon 650 MHz
The 5 pt. protein finished in 24 hours, so about 4.8 hours per point.
Powerbook 1000 MHz
The 25 pt. protein is 33% finished, so about 8.25 pts has finished in 20 hours, which is about 2.4 hours per point.

Therefore the ti is about twice as fast which makes sense since folding is NOT altivec optimized, so the velocity engine doesn't make much impact. I think you're fine.

Of course, I have to do a comparison with my computer :-p a 550 MHz laptop. I'm crunching on a 73 point protein, and it takes five hours for each percent. Therefore thats five hours per 7.3 points, or an amazing 1.5 hours per point. :D

This is prolly because of the protein, not the computer. ;) Anyway, if you're interested, it's a 50 day deadline ;). By the time I finished this protein I'll get my 17" pb.:D

Hehe, quite insane.
Is there a way I can see (graphical client) how many 'point proteins' my current one is...?

I'm sure it is like really obvious and I'm not looking hard enought.

Anyway. Keep it up the recent member increase is definatly good. It is good some of you have seen this thread or manybe the little text link at the top of the homepage (thank you ____ (arn?) ).
We need all the crunching power we can get.

Over Achiever
Feb 27, 2003, 09:44 PM
Is there a way I can see (graphical client) how many 'point proteins' my current one is...?

I'm sure it is like really obvious and I'm not looking hard enough.
I don't think you can see the point total of the protein in the graphical client. You can however see what protein you're crunching on, and you can check out the deadlines & point totals here: http://folding.stanford.edu/psummary.html

If you want to know how to get there from folding.stanford.edu, click on the stats link on the left side, then on project summary.

Hope that was helpful, or I guess you already knew that.

topicolo
Feb 27, 2003, 10:41 PM
What we need to keep members active is a good set of stats pages like MacNN's that are accessible from the main page. Are you listening ARN? :D

teabgs
Feb 28, 2003, 06:25 AM
The guys at MAcnn are nice enough to make a stats page for every other mac team

macrumors Stats (http://teamstats.macnn.com/fold/stats.php?TID=3446&page=s1)

ozubahn
Feb 28, 2003, 07:53 AM
Hi there. I just added two machines: one that I like and one that is fast. My own machine is a PBG4 500. The other is my work machine, a 2.4GHz P4. It is a dual, but I am required to turn it off at night, so call it a single. Hope it helps.

One question: Is there any way to get the OS X command line client to print progress updates to stdout? If I look at the work unit log file, it says things like "Finished a frame (20)", but that's sort of a hassle. Even at verbosity level 9, it doesn't print anything useful in the terminal window. What am I missing?

mc68k
Feb 28, 2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by ozubahn
If I look at the work unit log file, it says things like "Finished a frame (20)", but that's sort of a hassle. Even at verbosity level 9, it doesn't print anything useful in the terminal window. What am I missing? you're not missing anything. the programmers have done something wrong. on every other non-mac ive tried folding on, it spits out the frames at default verbosity 3. even changing it with the switch does nothing, so obviously it's a bug. theres no way to change stout, so heres what i do make a command that goes to the logfile and spit out the last line to the screen.

basically: tail -1 ~/Library/Folding@home/work/*.txt

in my script i put in the .login as:

alias fold 'tail -1...'

that's the best work around i could come up with at this point. every time you open the teriminal it launches that command and you can just type in work.

hope this helps.

jethroted
Feb 28, 2003, 03:56 PM
Well I added a total of 9 machines through out the week. I just started on sunday ( it's friday today), and I already have 105 points for the team. It's not that much, but I think it's a good start. I'm getting my brother on board, and he is setting up all the cpu's at his work with folding as well. What is our team pulling in a week for points anyways? I hope what I do helps some.:)

howard
Feb 28, 2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by jethroted
Well I added a total of 9 machines through out the week. I just started on sunday ( it's friday today), and I already have 105 points for the team. It's not that much, but I think it's a good start. I'm getting my brother on board, and he is setting up all the cpu's at his work with folding as well. What is our team pulling in a week for points anyways? I hope what I do helps some.:)

wow i've been folding for months and only have about 140 pts

Falleron
Feb 28, 2003, 04:24 PM
We have a slight problem. Team MacNN is catching us. They have a daily output of about 400 more than us :-( . We need more machine crunching.

Flowbee
Feb 28, 2003, 04:46 PM
WOO HOO! Just finished my first WU last night and put 23.6 points on the board for team MacRumors. Watch out top 100, here I come. :D

mc68k
Feb 28, 2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by jethroted
What is our team pulling in a week for points anyways?per week at this point has been ~7100-7400. but with all the recent members and 2nd processors enabled, i would say we might level off around 8000+/wk.

at this point there's too many variables to tell.

ozubahn
Feb 28, 2003, 07:13 PM
you're not missing anything.

hope this helps.

It does. Thanks! Maybe if I have time, I'll look into creating a more permanent solution. I've been meaning to learn AppleScript for a while now. I'll add that to the pile of projects waiting for the back burner. :)

Stelliform
Feb 28, 2003, 07:22 PM
:) I have been abusing my powers over computers. I have 2 laptops and a desktop spending the weekend at the office. (All three are ready to go back to the clients) But since they are just waiting there, I guess it wouldn't hurt to stress test them with the command line version. :)

(By the way, I am in the top 100 users now, look out top 50!)

bousozoku
Feb 28, 2003, 08:09 PM
you're not missing anything. the programmers have done something wrong. on every other non-mac ive tried folding on, it spits out the frames at default verbosity 3. even changing it with the switch does nothing, so obviously it's a bug. theres no way to change stout, so heres what i do make a command that goes to the logfile and spit out the last line to the screen.

in my script i put in the .login as:

alias fold 'tail -1...'

that's the best work around i could come up with at this point. every time you open the teriminal it launches that command and you can just type in work.

hope this helps.

I've got the textual version of my folding monitor working, using Java. I should have the GUI version working by the end of next week. :) I also have a magazine article to change the dock icon for Java applications, so I'm hoping to show the progress of both processes in the dock. :)

Stelliform
Feb 28, 2003, 08:40 PM
Hey, how about an incentive program to fold? Like mabey a post point for every Work Unit completed?

It could reduce Spam posts like this one. . . . :D

MrMacMan
Feb 28, 2003, 08:49 PM
Okay well I'm having an ongoing problem with my dad.
*sigh* Whenever he goes onto my computer he uses whatever, AOL and then shuts off my computer because he says it is using lots of power.
Which means by the time i come back to my computer preciuos time is lost.

I need to give my dad some info on what I'm doing, who I'm helping and heck possibly how little power my computer is using with the monitor off or else I'm gonna fight him on this for a long time. :(

BTW, what do you mean Stelliform? Incentive program? People don't post here for incentive, for the community. :)

Stelliform
Feb 28, 2003, 09:06 PM

BTW, what do you mean Stelliform? Incentive program? People don't post here for incentive, for the community. :)

:) OK, but that elusive 500 posts sure does seem a far way off for me to get an avatar. :) Mabey a Macrumors mug for 1000 Work Units? I am betting Arn doesn't care that much. :) Or for that matter I wouldn't.....

Oh on your dad, tell him that your computer is helping research that may lead to a cure for cancer and alzheimer's disease. And for the pennies he spends, he may save a loved one...

But since I am a Dad and I pay oodles of Bills a month, I can see his side. Tell him it is important to you, because you worry about him and you want him to be healthy for many years to come. :) And in some small way, Folding makes you feel like you are doing something for him. ;)

Of course he will see through that as a load of horse hocky. :)

Stelliform
Feb 28, 2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Toast
Greetings from team LWD,

Toast

Well At least we can say that you were totally wrong! It seems that you have passed us two days sooner. :( But that isn't going to stop us from catching up. :)

topicolo
Feb 28, 2003, 09:27 PM
Anyone here studying/ed biochemistry?

Over Achiever
Feb 28, 2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by topicolo
I've taken biochem (as I'm sure many others here have) and I had a biochem lab last fall.

Stelliform
Feb 28, 2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by topicolo

I have a Comp Sci Degree, I participate because I like the idea of distributed computing.... And I like benchmarking my machines.... And I like Macrumors and the competition is fun.....

I guess that is it. :)

(But I have never had a Bio Chem class. I was just required to take plain Biology...)

MrMacMan
Feb 28, 2003, 10:19 PM
If anyone wants to give me some info and answer some of my questions... thanks.

bousozoku
Feb 28, 2003, 10:24 PM
Okay well I'm having an ongoing problem with my dad.
*sigh* Whenever he goes onto my computer he uses whatever, AOL and then shuts off my computer because he says it is using lots of power.
Which means by the time i come back to my computer preciuos time is lost.

I need to give my dad some info on what I'm doing, who I'm helping and heck possibly how little power my computer is using with the monitor off or else I'm gonna fight him on this for a long time. :(

You could always tell him that if all those people in California were using Macs instead of PCs, there would not have been any rolling blackouts. You could also say that if the same thing happened in NYC, ConEd would be having to pay its customers to use their electricity. :D

Toast
Mar 1, 2003, 01:38 AM
Well At least we can say that you were totally wrong! It seems that you have passed us two days sooner. :( But that isn't going to stop us from catching up. :)

LoL, a little competition is a good thing, it encourages us to press towards a goal that had previously seemed unattainable...

If you wanna catch us, go for it...

of course the best way to catch up is to join up... but that's another story ;)

pepeleuepe
Mar 1, 2003, 03:27 PM
I've got the textual version of my folding monitor working, using Java. I should have the GUI version working by the end of next week. :) I also have a magazine article to change the dock icon for Java applications, so I'm hoping to show the progress of both processes in the dock. :)

This would be my dream application. When you finish it make sure you post something here, which I'm sure you would anyway, but really make sure. I can't wait... :D . Also, if you need anyone to test it out for you, let me know.

MrMacMan
Mar 2, 2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by pepeleuepe
This would be my dream application. When you finish it make sure you post something here, which I'm sure you would anyway, but really make sure. I can't wait... :D . Also, if you need anyone to test it out for you, let me know.
Early reports for him Alpha testing later next week.

Keep your clients runnning for now. :D

AmbitiousLemon
Mar 2, 2003, 02:06 AM
Hello all. I quit folding awhile ago but have been considering helping out again. I had 3 machines folding before and it will just be one this time.

One of the reasons I quit was that i really wanted to see progress. Folding control was ok, but i wanted more info. in the end it just seemed like too much trouble to keep things running and know what was happening.

if the head folding guys could write a faq/tutorial for setting things up it would make a nice addition to the folding note on the front page. just directions on foldingf rom the login screen, installing the text client, and checking progress would be good. some info on the available apps and scripts would be good too.

also i thought stanfurd [hiss] was planning on enabling altivec on the client. what happened? it has been a year since i last heard this was coming soon.

anyway i''l throw my lil' imac into the fray shes not much but shes all i got atm.

MrMacMan
Mar 2, 2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
Hello all. I quit folding awhile ago but have been considering helping out again. I had 3 machines folding before and it will just be one this time.

One of the reasons I quit was that i really wanted to see progress. Folding control was ok, but i wanted more info. in the end it just seemed like too much trouble to keep things running and know what was happening.

if the head folding guys could write a faq/tutorial for setting things up it would make a nice addition to the folding note on the front page. just directions on foldingf rom the login screen, installing the text client, and checking progress would be good. some info on the available apps and scripts would be good too.

also i thought stanfurd [hiss] was planning on enabling altivec on the client. what happened? it has been a year since i last heard this was coming soon.

anyway i''l throw my lil' imac into the fray ? shes not much but shes all i got atm.

God to see many people come back to the team and start folding again.

Maybe we can keep our climb to the top growing.

On a side note what happened to your site... it has a yahoo message :confused: .

topicolo
Mar 3, 2003, 12:10 AM
Just to let everyone know, if you really want to know what your computer is processing, you should go download the CHIME plugin from MDL CHIME's website (http://www.mdl.com/chime/index.html).
Once you have that installed, you can actually view all of the true structures of the proteins your computers are folding in 3D. It's really cool.
I've been using it for my classes and this thing is a Godsend.:)

howard
Mar 3, 2003, 10:17 AM
everyone....we're going to pass lwd...where only a few hundred points behind and we have a higher daily output than them...keep folding! pretty soon they can eat our dust.

Mr. Anderson
Mar 3, 2003, 10:20 AM
that's good, concidering we were just passed by two teams. I should be completing 2 units today! I'm still amazed at the points we get for these guys.....

D :D

topicolo
Mar 3, 2003, 11:00 AM
I may be able to add another 1-2 1.6Ghz P4s to the team in a couple of weeks or so. That should help a bit :-)

jimjiminyjim
Mar 3, 2003, 11:25 AM
Does anyone know how to make the folding@home app fold with the same data for different users? I tried putting the folding@home preference folder from my home library into the user "Shared" and aliasing it, as I have done with iTunes, but this doesn't seem to work. Ideas?

Edit: I just realized that this isn't exactly related to the thread... Let's just make some ties. I have joined the macrumors team, but haven't finished a unit yet, because the rest of my family downloads music overnight in their own user files. I'd like to be able to contribute to our ranking, but can't keep folding@home processing the same unit in different folders.

Jim.

mc68k
Mar 3, 2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by jimjiminyjim
I'd like to be able to contribute to our ranking, but can't keep folding@home processing the same unit in different folders.thanks for wanting to help out. :)
Does anyone know how to make the folding@home app fold with the same data for different users? I tried putting the folding@home preference folder from my home library into the user "Shared" and aliasing it, as I have done with iTunes, but this doesn't seem to work. Ideas?if the app you're referring to is the GUI app, then no. it's user specific and there's no way to change that default setting.

so for your plight, you would have to run the terminal version in the background so that it would span multiple users. it's really quite simple, i could either walk you through it or make a script for you. depends on your comfortable-ness with unix etc.

nice name btw :)

iShater
Mar 3, 2003, 02:14 PM
that's good, concidering we were just passed by two teams. I should be completing 2 units today! I'm still amazed at the points we get for these guys.....

D :D

I saw that!!! :mad:

Time to bring all my systems to do folding instead of SETI!!

I won't be in the 16th place for too long! :D

MrMacMan
Mar 3, 2003, 03:08 PM
Yeah I almost forgot we have a seti project going... um lets get the people from our SETI team to Folding, why not?

iShater
Mar 3, 2003, 03:11 PM
Yeah I almost forgot we have a seti project going... um lets get the people from our SETI team to Folding, why not?

We should all do that. I currently run SETI on two of my systems, my work machine I switched it to Folding. Tonight I am going to start Folding on those SETI machines.

Btw, who are we trying to beat? what teams are our "target"?

MrMacMan
Mar 3, 2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by iShater
We should all do that. I currently run SETI on two of my systems, my work machine I switched it to Folding. Tonight I am going to start Folding on those SETI machines.

1. Hold off MacNN, um, forever. :D
2. Beating littlewhitedog is a plus. :rolleyes:
Basically keeping on pace to keep moving up the ranks of teams.
:D

Edit: If you can draggg anyone off the SETI team that is nice and good because many of the people running SETI don't post here, so if you see anyone on the list there that you know and has given SETI WU in the last month give them a message: Folding is the way to go.

pEZ
Mar 3, 2003, 08:55 PM
Just started folding today - and thought it was so cool that I told two of my friends right away. A major selling point to me was realizing that I could be working towards a cure for cancer - very cool. I'm on a 700 Mhz flat panel iMac, so I won't contribute a whole lot, but hey, I can still spread the word.

MrMacMan
Mar 3, 2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by pEZ
Just started folding today - and thought it was so cool that I told two of my friends right away. A major selling point to me was realizing that I could be working towards a cure for cancer - very cool. I'm on an 700 Mhz flat panel iMac, so I won't contribute a whole lot, but hey, I can still spread the word.

Welcome to the team. :D

Make sure you and Your buddyies have the right team # 3446 and all have some username. :D

pEZ
Mar 3, 2003, 09:24 PM
Oh yeah, and I definitely say screw the SETI project for folding - just seems a little more important.

mc68k
Mar 3, 2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by pEZ
Just started folding today - and thought it was so cool that I told two of my friends right away. A major selling point to me was realizing that I could be working towards a cure for cancer - very cool. I'm on a 700 Mhz flat panel iMac, so I won't contribute a whole lot, but hey, I can still spread the word. ppl like u help more than you think. the attitude is what counts. ur giving it ur all and it's appreciated.

cancer is a disease which causes uncrontrolled mitosis. it doesn't have to do with the kind of research going on w/F@H. it's more like mad cow's and alzhimers (sp?)

i'm more in it 4 the score. the disease thing looks like it might take them a long time, but it's still noble. i'd much rather do this than SETI for sure.

MrMacMan
Mar 3, 2003, 09:48 PM
ppl like u help more than you think. the attitude is what counts. ur giving it ur all and it's appreciated.

cancer is a disease which causes uncrontrolled mitosis. it doesn't have to do with the kind of research going on w/F@H. it's more like mad cow's and alzhimers (sp?)

i'm more in it 4 the score. the disease thing looks like it might take them a long time, but it's still noble. i'd much rather do this than SETI for sure.

Hey! Don't say that, do we want members leaving now? :eek:

Folding Cures All, HE LIES!

mc68k
Mar 3, 2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by iShater
o any team that registers and posts on our board is asking for it, friendly or not.

o any mac team, since we'll never be #1 team overall.

o any team with lower output then ours

the truth is, we need at least another lab to be #1 mac team. but our recent member contribution has gained us enough clout to hold off the teams that were going to overtake us, and allowed us to be 'on the level' again. if we were the #1 mac team i would have reached my personal goal for the team.

jimjiminyjim
Mar 3, 2003, 11:07 PM
so for your plight, you would have to run the terminal version in the background so that it would span multiple users. it's really quite simple, i could either walk you through it or make a script for you. depends on your comfortable-ness with unix etc.

nice name btw :)

Thanks mc68k.

awulf
Mar 4, 2003, 04:32 AM
I have my G4 466 working on Folding, some OS 9 macs running on SETTI, I would be able to include more computers to the Folding project if I just could get a proxy on any of the following ports to download and upload the units:

Open Port: 9
Open Port: 13
Open Port: 22
Open Port: 25
Open Port: 37
Open Port: 53
Open Port: 111
Open Port: 119
Open Port: 1024
Open Port: 5432
Open Port: 5666

The computers would include a 800Mhz eMac, 600 MHz G3 iMac, a Celeron 433, and any other OS X macs that may be comming in the future.

So anyone of a proxy with one of those ports open?

I am going to try to convince my dad to run Folding on his AMD XP 2000+, his 500MHz alpha, and the new Dell (yuck) laptop that he is getting.

Jaykay
Mar 4, 2003, 06:19 AM
Ok ok, currently im in talks with the computer services department of my college (NUIG - Its in Ireland) and they were saying that they were very interested in starting a project like this (or joining one). They like the idea of this folding thing..Hmm

So now if i can get them to turn in their units to this team that might be pretty sweet.

So, (NUIG = Roughly 3,000-4,000 cmputers)
mostly quite fast computers and a large integrated networking system alrady setup (duuuhh..!). Thats a lot of units.

awulf
Mar 4, 2003, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by Jaykay
Ok ok, currently im in talks with the computer services department of my college (NUIG - Its in Ireland) and they were saying that they were very interested in starting a project like this (or joining one). They like the idea of this folding thing..Hmm

So now if i can get them to turn in their units to this team that might be pretty sweet.

So, (NUIG = Roughly 3,000-4,000 cmputers)
mostly quite fast computers and a large integrated networking system alrady setup (duuuhh..!). Thats a lot of units.

Cool! That would jump us to No. 1 (maybe)

Rower_CPU
Mar 4, 2003, 09:40 AM
Jaykay, that would be amazing!

We've got roughly 80 machines between mc68k and myself here in our labs, and we get decent output. 3,000 machines is definitely would make us a top 10 team. :o :D

Mr. Anderson
Mar 4, 2003, 09:43 AM
OMG! That would be truly amazing, thousands of computers!!!

So is there anything we can do to help you convince the people in charge that they should join the MacRumors team and not start their own.

Which if they realize what it is that's going on, they will most likely want to have their own team.

Good luck!

D

mc68k
Mar 4, 2003, 12:16 PM
So is there anything we can do to help you convince the people in charge that they should join the MacRumors team and not start their own.

Which if they realize what it is that's going on, they will most likely want to have their own team.
yeah, i don't see why a univ would give a mac rumors team any WU.

but if for some reason they fail to see that they could start their own team, then we would be set, even if they decided to change midstream. if you can't convince them to give MR all the machines, just convince them to give us some. or if they won't give us any then take some anyways for their stinginess. after all ur trying to help them out, right?

...and keep us posted! we've had ppl pledge machines b4, but nothing ever really became of it. if you need any help convincing them, then let us know and we'll be on it... :)

pEZ
Mar 4, 2003, 02:57 PM
Okay, fine. I never was very good at biology. (I guess that's why i'm a materials science major :D )

Alzheimer's is still bad.

MrMacMan
Mar 4, 2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by pEZ
Okay, fine. I never was very good at biology. (I guess that's why i'm a materials science major :D )

Alzheimer's is still bad.

I told you HE LIES, FOLDING CURES ALL, baldness, swetty palms, skin rashes, cancers, um... everything. * Yeah I wish too.

Anyway that lab would be kicking I mean even for a short amount of time, make our output jump to like 50,000 and put any other mac team far far off. :eek: That would kick. :D

So good job a keep folding. Yesterday we outpaced MacNN for the first time in a bit and that my friends is a very good thing. :D

jelloshotsrule
Mar 4, 2003, 04:49 PM
I told you HE LIES, FOLDING CURES ALL, baldness, swetty palms, skin rashes, cancers, um... everything. * Yeah I wish too.

so it can cure problems we have in the pants too????

MrMacMan
Mar 4, 2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
so it can cure problems we have in the pants too????

There is no 'we' my friend and yes, if you fold more your problem will *cough* get better *cough*

dstorey
Mar 4, 2003, 05:29 PM
after two weeks and two days of continous folding I have finally finished my first work unit (w00t... ahem). I've got a whole 10.39 points on the board...well I've got more points than some people already...you gonna let a crappy pentium mmx 200 beat you guys???? better start folding again, your in am embarrasing situation ;)

Anyway I was hoping for a smaller work unit so I could get some units done by the dealine (i guess the last one took too long) but sadly i got stung with a 400 frame WU...its gonna take forever....

MrMacMan
Mar 4, 2003, 07:56 PM
Well there is... um a type of cheat method.

Well the one for OS X is described above about dumping the folder and then it creates a new one, I'm sure in Windose they just hide the file... ;)

Good luck.

jelloshotsrule
Mar 4, 2003, 08:33 PM
There is no 'we' my friend and yes, if you fold more your problem will *cough* get better *cough*

those who act like they don't have a problem have the biggest (smallest) problem. ;)

MrMacMan
Mar 4, 2003, 08:58 PM
*hands jelloshotsrule a ruler* Measure up big man.
(Mod, if you are offended take it off, I don't care)

We are getting a little off topic aren't we?

Did anyone recently come from the SETI team and/or knows people they can contact about switching?

Tomasz
Mar 5, 2003, 12:29 AM
Well, I've been talking to a friend, and he was reading my AIM profile... and learned about folding. Now, that friend talked to another friend, and they both started folding a few hours ago!

And, nicely, they put there team number as 3446. Aren't they nice?

A big round of applause for: Jason and Joseph (not sure what their names will be on the board... but I'll find out eventually).

And now the long wait, as they watch their first wu take forever ;)

Tomasz

mc68k
Mar 5, 2003, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by Tomasz
And now the long wait, as they watch their first wu take forever ;) which seems to turn off a lot of ppl, since half the stats are filled with ppl who do 1 or 2. it still helps though.

tell them thanks for helping out a worthy team and to be patient. :)

MacFocus
Mar 5, 2003, 07:35 AM
HiHa,

I've installed the OS-X screensaver on my new Dual 876Mhz Mac.

At daytimes it's often working but this little machine is working every night and all weekend for Folding MacRumors.

At work we do have a lot of G4's on OS 9, and I wish I could use them for Folding but I just can't take the risk of having any troubles with those machines. Otherwise I would definately use them. Well, some things are just not gonna happen.

This is the result of 1 week folding.

MrMacMan
Mar 5, 2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by MacFocus
HiHa,

At daytimes it's often working but this little machine is working every night and all weekend for Folding MacRumors.

At work we do have a lot of G4's on OS 9, and I wish I could use them for Folding but I just can't take the risk of having any troubles with those machines. Otherwise I would definately use them. Well, some things are just not gonna happen.

Welcome to Marumors folding. :D
Have fun and we will all have a great time. :D

bousozoku
Mar 5, 2003, 06:22 PM
HiHa,

Great to have you with us!

You may not know, but in order to use the second processor for folding, you must use the command line client--the graphical clients do not take advantage of two processors. We have scripts in the Distributed Computing section to help you utilise both, if you're interested. :)

MacFocus
Mar 6, 2003, 12:32 AM
Great to have you with us!

You may not know, but in order to use the second processor for folding, you must use the command line client--the graphical clients do not take advantage of two processors. We have scripts in the Distributed Computing section to help you utilise both, if you're interested. :)

Thanks for the tip.
Could you help me out here? Because I'm no command line type of guy.

I just realized that I can also use a P4 1,7Ghz for almost 24 hrs a day...:D Should help us don't you think?

When I looked at the stats at Macnn I saw that my machine doesn't seem to be doing anything for the last couple of days. Is it just that I have a large WU or is there something wrong?

Thanks

mc68k
Mar 6, 2003, 12:43 AM
Could you help me out here? Because I'm no command line type of guy.

go here (http://homepage.mac.com/mc68k) and download DP_folding. i developed it especially for ppl like you. :) make sure ur done with your current WU though, as it doesn't continue from previous work.

I just realized that I can also use a P4 1,7Ghz for almost 24 hrs a day...:D Should help us don't you think?[p4s fold the best out of any processor.

When I looked at the stats at Macnn I saw that my machine doesn't seem to be doing anything for the last couple of days. Is it just that I have a large WU or is there something wrong?the most up to date stats would be found here (http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/userpage?name=MacFocus), updated every hour. you might have a large protein, match the protein number with some quantitative data here (http://folding.stanford.edu/psummary.html) to give you an idea of how long it will take. the key is pateince, and a fast machine. :)

thanks for helping out.

MrMacMan
Mar 6, 2003, 02:02 PM
Yeah I have heard the DP script is a really working for all of you people.

Instead of seeing 867 Duals slowly beat me out (iMac 800) I see them owning me. :rolleyes:

MrMacMan
Mar 6, 2003, 06:31 PM
I'm happy to say Mods4Me will be soon behind us.

We are about 60 points away from passing them which shouldn't take very long at all. :D
Once we pass them we will currently be #38.

Rower_CPU
Mar 6, 2003, 08:03 PM
We'll also crack the 10,000 points/week mark, too.

Good job, team! :D

MrMacMan
Mar 6, 2003, 08:52 PM
Ah. I smell a small victory.
*checks folding page* yes I did smell it al right. ;)
Now how about we start outpacing LWD :D

Stelliform
Mar 6, 2003, 10:13 PM
Ah. I smell a small victory.
*checks folding page* yes I did smell it al right. ;)
Now how about we start outpacing LWD :D

If I could figure out a way to fold on my PDA I would. :) I bet everybody actively folding here could find a way to add another machine to the list. Just talk one friend into helping...

NavyIntel007
Mar 6, 2003, 10:38 PM
Ok, so after I added a 512 chip into my ibook500 it zapped my Folding Progress. I started on monday and I'm at 50.3%

Hopefully I can secretly install it on my girlfriends P3 1ghz up in Canada, that's if she lets me.

NavyIntel007
Mar 6, 2003, 10:42 PM
Anyone know how I can tell how many frames I'm folding. I'm using the graphical client.

Is the protein changing shape in that diagram or am I losing it?

NavyIntel007
Mar 6, 2003, 10:44 PM
If I could figure out a way to fold on my PDA I would. :) I bet everybody actively folding here could find a way to add another machine to the list. Just talk one friend into helping...

Yes someone port Folding@home to the Zaurus. If mine wasn't dead I could use it.

Assuming someone did port Folding to PocketPC, does anyone think it would really perform at the 400 MHz we're accustomed to or would it be slower/faster?

NavyIntel007
Mar 6, 2003, 10:50 PM
I found it. 400 Frame. No wonder it's taking me so long.

mc68k
Mar 6, 2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by NavyIntel007
Anyone know how I can tell how many frames I'm folding. I'm using the graphical client.

Is the protein changing shape in that diagram or am I losing it? the graphical only shows %, so u'll have to go here:

~/Library/Folding@home/work/logfile_0#.txt

...where # is a number from 1 to 9. ~ stands for home, in case u didn't know.

look up the amount of frames in a given protein here (folding.stanford.edu/psummary.html).

when proteins fold, the amino acids in the polypeptide chain rearrange themselves. different arrangements of amino acids yield alpha helicies and beta pleated sheets. the chemical composition doesn't change, but the phyisical properties do. so it's not just u, it's supposed to do that.

NavyIntel007
Mar 6, 2003, 10:59 PM
Awesome... Sorry just a Computer Science major headed for the military. This DNA stuff is way over my head but my grandmother has altzheimers really bad so I figured I should do my part (to save my own ass). :cool:

teabgs
Mar 6, 2003, 11:01 PM
Ok, so after I added a 512 chip into my ibook500 it zapped my Folding Progress. I started on monday and I'm at 50.3%

Hopefully I can secretly install it on my girlfriends P3 1ghz up in Canada, that's if she lets me.

you live in Florida and your gf lives in canada....?
:confused:

mc68k
Mar 6, 2003, 11:02 PM
Awesome... Sorry just a Computer Science major headed for the military. guess what? i'm CS too. but for my major, my stupid univ decided that i had to take a science course that ppl would if that were their major.

i had a choice of either chemistry, physics, or bio. i took two semesters with lab: organismal and cell & molecular biology. fun stuff. now i have all this useful knowledge to expound. :cool:

NavyIntel007
Mar 6, 2003, 11:30 PM
you live in Florida and your gf lives in canada....?
:confused:

Yes, it's a long story...:D

NavyIntel007
Mar 6, 2003, 11:32 PM
guess what? i'm CS too. but for my major, my stupid univ decided that i had to take a science course that ppl would if that were their major.

i had a choice of either chemistry, physics, or bio. i took two semesters with lab: organismal and cell & molecular biology. fun stuff. now i have all this useful knowledge to expound. :cool:

Funny how that happens... I switched over from engineering and a semester later, they overhall the program. So I'm one of the last to take the old version of the major because the Navy wants me graduated and ready for OCS by January.

MacFocus
Mar 7, 2003, 12:43 AM
Does anybody know if the graphical client for Win2K uses both of my processors in my dual P4 2Ghz Xeon?

(I'd rather use a Mac, but can't leave this baby doing nothing at night :D :D )

My P4 1,7 is crunching since yesterday and my Dual 876 is going to use the second proc after the current WU has finished.

mc68k
Mar 7, 2003, 12:49 AM
Does anybody know if the graphical client for Win2K uses both of my processors in my dual P4 2Ghz Xeon?no. but it is really easy to setup the console version.

just DL two console apps in two seperate folders.
then run them both and use advanced options.
the only difference in setup between the two should be the Machnie ID part.

when u get to that part it should say:

Machine ID [1], where 1 is default.
set up the first one to 1, and the second one to 2 and u should be set. never had a DP PC to try it out on, but it should work.

make sure u check afterwards as it's just educated speculation on my part. :)

pgwalsh
Mar 7, 2003, 01:42 AM
anyone know how to get folding runing on linux in the background and not in a terminal window. Maybe make it an icon on the side or something? I'm new to linux and OS X and I really don't care for having the terminal windows open. I also like to have the app just tart runing when I log in.

mc68k
Mar 7, 2003, 01:50 AM
the symbol & at the end of any CLI experssion sends it to the background.

so:OSX-3.24 &will make it so u don't have to have the window open. just make sure u know how to manually kill it since it will always be running.

hope that helps

maradong
Mar 7, 2003, 06:30 AM
Hm.
how many points to you have to get to become a power cruncher?
i got some 800. but i m helping out my team "Luxembourg" rather than macrumors.. sorry.. but we got only 4 members, and it is representatif for our hole country :)

pgwalsh
Mar 7, 2003, 11:14 AM
the symbol & at the end of any CLI experssion sends it to the background.

so:OSX-3.24 &will make it so u don't have to have the window open. just make sure u know how to manually kill it since it will always be running.

hope that helps Thanks! Good to know. Haven't gotten to the command line section in Mac OS X Unleashed yet.

MrMacMan
Mar 7, 2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by maradong
Hm.
how many points to you have to get to become a power cruncher?
i got some 800. but i m helping out my team "Luxembourg" rather than macrumors.. sorry.. but we got only 4 members, and it is representatif for our hole country :)

Comeon, even occasionally donate some WU. Even if they are the small no point ones. :D

Aparently LWD sees us as a threat and has recruited a good 10 members as of late... :rolleyes:

I finally pleaded with statsman to put up the macrumors banner on there site, they acually said yes :eek: .

awulf
Mar 7, 2003, 10:41 PM
I think my computer isn't folding properly, or not submitting its work.

Current Work Unit
-----------------
Name: P633_TZ3_EXT
Download time: March 7 15:37:04
Progress: 0% [__________]

My CPU is at 100% and I have only done 8 units accoording to the site, but if a unit was downloaded on March the 7th, something should have been uploaded.

the terminal window:
###############################################################################
################################################################################

Folding@home Client Version 3.24

http://foldingathome.stanford.edu
email:help@foldingathome.stanford.edu

[00:27:06] - Ask before connecting: No
[00:27:06] - User name: awulf (Team 3446)
[00:27:06] - User ID = 71F1212F1D2A60DE
[00:27:06] - Machine ID: 1
[00:27:06]
[00:27:06] Old queue version detected... converting
[00:27:06] Loaded queue successfully.
[00:27:06] + Benchmarking ...
[00:27:10] + Attempting to get work packet
[00:27:10] - Connecting to assignment server
[00:27:17] - Successful: assigned to (171.64.122.108).
[00:27:17] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
[00:27:17] Loaded queue successfully.
[00:27:23] - Deadline time not received.

[00:28:29] + Closed connections
[00:28:29]
[00:28:29] + Processing work unit
[00:28:29] Core required: FahCore_65.exe
[00:28:29] Core found.
[00:28:29] Working on Unit 01 [March 8 00:28:29]
[00:28:29] + Working ...
[00:28:30] Folding@Home Client Core Version 2.47 (June 14, 2002)
[00:28:30]
[00:28:30] Proj: work/wudata_01
[00:28:30] nsteps: 5000000 dt: 2.000000 dt_dump: 250.000000 temperature: 296.00000

So does any one know if my computer is doing it properly?

Over Achiever
Mar 7, 2003, 10:47 PM
Sometimes units can fail to send, and it simply stores it as being completed and downloads a new work unit.

I've had that happen to me many times, but I'm not sure this is what happened to you.

jethroted
Mar 8, 2003, 07:40 AM
I would shut down folding, and restart your computer. That happend to me a couple of times, but a restart got it working again.

bousozoku
Mar 8, 2003, 07:46 AM
There are often circumstances where the server which originally sent you a work unit is now too busy to receive the completed results. Version 3.24 will try to send results occasionally when it wasn't able to do so right away. I'm not sure how many can be stored, ten would seem to be the answer, though (0-9). I've had two at a time waiting to be returned, plus the current work unit being processed.

If you go to the stats page, you will see server status. Match the server IP address, like 171.64.122.108, with whatever you have. It will tell whether the server is available or not.

britboy
Mar 8, 2003, 04:13 PM
I've managed to add a 3 GHz pentium4 to the macrumors folding team :)

With any luck i might be able to contribute something more worthwhile now.

Rower_CPU
Mar 8, 2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by britboy

That machine should pack quite a punch! Thanks for the help. :)

Mr. Anderson
Mar 8, 2003, 04:57 PM

Nice - hey, put up some stats if you get a chance, protein and how long it took to finish, etc. I'd be really curious to see how well it does.

D

Falleron
Mar 8, 2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by awulf
I think my computer isn't folding properly, or not submitting its work.

Current Work Unit
-----------------
Name: P633_TZ3_EXT
Download time: March 7 15:37:04
Progress: 0% [__________]

So does any one know if my computer is doing it properly?
Is this taken from the file "unitinfo.txt"? On my system, that does not update itself. I have to go into the work folder + open the txt file in that location to get an up to date progress report.

awulf
Mar 8, 2003, 06:37 PM
Is this taken from the file "unitinfo.txt"? On my system, that does not update itself. I have to go into the work folder + open the txt file in that location to get an up to date progress report.

Yes it is unitinfo.txt and I opend it up through the finder, which opened it in TextEdit, so at the point of opening, it should be up to date.

And it still at 0%. Could it be unit info is for the graphical client?

britboy
Mar 8, 2003, 06:59 PM
Nice - hey, put up some stats if you get a chance, protein and how long it took to finish, etc. I'd be really curious to see how well it does.

D

I'll try and get some posted by monday. As a rough guide for the time being, it's just completed an 83-pointer in around 3 days (not sure if that was continuous folding at 100% usage though).

MrMacMan
Mar 8, 2003, 08:50 PM
I'll try and get some posted by monday. As a rough guide for the time being, it's just completed an 83-pointer in around 3 days (not sure if that was continuous folding at 100% usage though).

Damn... how much did that 3 GHZ one cost?

I heard is ran extremly hot... what type of cooling are you using? :D

Edit: I was looking at my name through google... and what? I'm on LWD message board? :confused:
"Check this out:
Aparently LWD sees us as a threat and has recruited a good 10 members as of late...

I finally pleaded with statsman to put up the macrumors banner on there site, they acually said yes .

Actually i hadnt considered that we might consider them a threat at all seeing as we just passed them, untill i checked the stats, and even though we are ahead of them, it's by a super slim margin, and they actually out produced us yesterday.

And the Statsman linkage thing... hmm
As soon as we pick a banner, we aughta start pimping it out to other websites.
Get our team name out there, ya know?

another quote from them:
Now how about we start outpacing LWD

How about we bury them like a bone?

(yeah that could be taken a few ways i suppose)
heheh"

Aww aint nice. We outproduced them again but its all about helping people. :D

I'm glad everyone keeps joining up and thank all the members for sticking with us. :D

bousozoku
Mar 8, 2003, 09:01 PM
Yes it is unitinfo.txt and I opend it up through the finder, which opened it in TextEdit, so at the point of opening, it should be up to date.

And it still at 0%. Could it be unit info is for the graphical client?

My scripts, and my new graphical monitor pull from the logfile_xx.txt file, which is what's used for the command line client.

awulf
Mar 8, 2003, 09:42 PM
My scripts, and my new graphical monitor pull from the logfile_xx.txt file, which is what's used for the command line client.

Where would I be able to get these scripts from?

AmbitiousLemon
Mar 8, 2003, 09:49 PM
i've been folding now for about a week on a 800mhz imac and have yet to have a completed unit show up on the stats board. how do i know this thing is working properly?

[19:34:28] - Ask before connecting: No
[19:34:28] - User name: AmbitiousLemon (Team 3446)
[19:34:28] - User ID = EBE9F56572096BB
[19:34:28] - Machine ID: 1
[19:34:28]
[19:34:29] Loaded queue successfully.
[19:34:29] + Benchmarking ...
[19:34:34]
[19:34:34] + Processing work unit
[19:34:34] Core required: FahCore_65.exe
[19:34:34] Core found.
[19:34:34] Working on Unit 01 [March 8 19:34:34]
[19:34:34] + Working ...
[19:34:35] Folding@Home Client Core Version 2.47 (June 14, 2002)
[19:34:35]
[19:34:35] Proj: work/wudata_01
[19:34:35] nsteps: 5000000 dt: 2.000000 dt_dump: 250.000000 temperature: 296.000000
[19:34:35] xyzfile:
[19:34:35] " 227 P633_TZ3_EXT
[19:34:35] 1 N3 19.171868 34.734109 36.415285 124 2..."
[19:34:35] keyfile:
[19:34:35] "parameters ./proj622.prm
[19:34:35] NOVERSION
[19:34:35] ARCHIVE
[19:34:35] printout 1000
[19:34:35] writeout ..."
[19:34:35] Hashes matched on f

thats what it said last time i started it up.

i just wish there was some way to view progress so you could know it is working.

we really need an app that lets you start and stop the client and show progress.

i can see in top that it is using the cpu, but it just seems like something is wrong since it hasnt completed anything.

MrMacMan
Mar 8, 2003, 10:09 PM
i've been folding now for about a week on a 800mhz imac and have yet to have a completed unit show up on the stats board. how do i know this thing is working properly?

[19:34:28] - Ask before connecting: No
[19:34:28] - User name: AmbitiousLemon (Team 3446)
[19:34:28] - User ID = EBE9F56572096BB
[19:34:28] - Machine ID: 1
[19:34:28]
[19:34:29] Loaded queue successfully.
[19:34:29] + Benchmarking ...
[19:34:34]
[19:34:34] + Processing work unit
[19:34:34] Core required: FahCore_65.exe
[19:34:34] Core found.
[19:34:34] Working on Unit 01 [March 8 19:34:34]
[19:34:34] + Working ...
[19:34:35] Folding@Home Client Core Version 2.47 (June 14, 2002)
[19:34:35] Proj: work/wudata_01
[19:34:35] nsteps: 5000000 dt: 2.000000 dt_dump: 250.000000 temperature: 296.000000
[19:34:35] xyzfile:
[19:34:35] " 227 P633_TZ3_EXT
[19:34:35] 1 N3 19.171868 34.734109 36.415285 124 2..."
[19:34:35] keyfile:
[19:34:35] "parameters ./proj622.prm
[19:34:35] NOVERSION
[19:34:35] ARCHIVE
[19:34:35] printout 1000
[19:34:35] writeout ..."
[19:34:35] Hashes matched on f

thats what it said last time i started it up.

i just wish there was some way to view progress so you could know it is working.

we really need an app that lets you start and stop the client and show progress.

i can see in top that it is using the cpu, but it just seems like something is wrong since it hasnt completed anything.

If that was today the print out is kinda old, check if it updated.
To check the size of your protein. (http://folding.stanford.edu/psummary.html)

your is smallish

AmbitiousLemon
Mar 8, 2003, 10:15 PM
If that was today the print out is kinda old, check if it updated.
To check the size od your protein. (http://folding.stanford.edu/psummary.html)

your is smallish

it never updates after starting up. whatever it spits out when it first starts up is what stays in the shell until i close the window.

LWD_JAmZSeSSioN
Mar 8, 2003, 10:17 PM

Now how about we start outpacing LWD

W:) :) f W:) :) f

Great job keeping close guy's.

http://home.attbi.com/~swingjamz/lwd_banner.gif

MrMacMan
Mar 8, 2003, 10:23 PM
W:) :) f W:) :) f

Great job keeping close guy's.

http://home.attbi.com/~swingjamz/lwd_banner.gif

Awww we love you guys too.

AL have you closed and then re-opened the command line. See if the text file changes.

It should be in users.../libary/folding/work/logfile_xx (xx=number) whichever the higher number of the same files is the right one.

If you have one _06 file and all other _05 the _05 is the good one.

pimentoLoaf
Mar 8, 2003, 10:40 PM
I've now added my new 2.4 GHz Pentium 4 (http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.asp?EDC=455200) notebook to the crunching.

Why not get a new Mac? I expect to, when a 970 desktop is released.

MrMacMan
Mar 8, 2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by pimentoLoaf
I've now added my new 2.4 GHz Pentium 4 (http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.asp?EDC=455200) notebook to the crunching.

Why not get a new Mac? I expect to, when a 970 desktop is released.

and where do you work for that type of money, getting a new comp like 6 months away from getting another new comp. :eek:

Keep the folding going! :D

bousozoku
Mar 9, 2003, 12:23 AM
New daily volume stats:

LITTLEWHITEDOG - 1,580.7 (yesterday) 1,672.5 (average)

Macrumors - 1,695.9 (yesterday) 1,628.3 (our average is increasing)

AmbitiousLemon
Mar 9, 2003, 12:38 AM
well from what people tell me my f@h isnt working. so rather than waste my time having it slow down my computer i think ill quit the team again. ill try it again if they ever if they discover the progress bar or a command to return a % completed. shame folding control retired. to me type ./ in the terminal, having your cpu use go up to 100% and never being able to know what is going on is pretty agrevating.

MrMacMan
Mar 9, 2003, 12:42 AM
well from what people tell me my f@h isnt working. so rather than waste my time having it slow down my computer i think ill quit the team again. ill try it again if they ever if they discover the progress bar or a command to return a % completed. shame folding control retired. to me type ./ in the terminal, having your cpu use go up to 100% and never being able to know what is going on is pretty agrevating.

Didn't you hear : bousozoku is working on it.
He is gonna like release it soonish, chill man. (I can't speak for him but the code works fine)
Don't give up yet I'm sure someone with much greater knowledge than I will enlighten you. Please give it a chance.

AmbitiousLemon
Mar 9, 2003, 12:50 AM
Didn't you hear : bousozoku is working on it.
He is gonna like release it soonish, chill man. (I can't speak for him but the code works fine)
Don't give up yet I'm sure someone with much greater knowledge than I will enlighten you. Please give it a chance.

i gave it a week. im not goign to having computer continue to spin its wheels doing nothing. if a decent app is released, like i said, ill check it out again, but since i am apparently not doing anything as things are now i dont see much of a reason to keep the app running.

awulf
Mar 9, 2003, 06:46 AM
i gave it a week. im not goign to having computer continue to spin its wheels doing nothing. if a decent app is released, like i said, ill check it out again, but since i am apparently not doing anything as things are now i dont see much of a reason to keep the app running.

Try the graphocal client, when I used that all my data was processed corretly and uploaded.
Now I am using the terminal version and my computer is working at 100% and no results have come from this.

Maybe I should return to the graphical client.

With the graphical client make sure the window isn't open other wise it wont fold as quickly.

britboy
Mar 9, 2003, 07:04 AM
Damn... how much did that 3 GHZ one cost?

The base unit cost 1280. I'm not sure what type of cooling it's using though. I'll check and get back to you on that one. It's my mother's computer, and she lives on the other side of London to me, so when i go check up on her i have a look inside her pc.

One thing's for sure: it's a fairly loud machine. The only thing i can compare it to is my tibook 500, and the fans in the tower slightly louder than that!

bousozoku
Mar 9, 2003, 08:24 AM

From what I see, the work unit you have is huge. It has 5,000,000 steps in it. It could take some time. After looking at the status at http://folding.stanford.edu/stats.html, I think that one like that usually take my dual G4/800 a little over a day.

I don't remember what machine you have so maybe it isn't working, but instead of quitting, try deleting all the files in the work folder and let it download another protein.

We really need the extra machine! :)

pimentoLoaf
Mar 9, 2003, 03:22 PM
My 2.4ghz p4 laptop (running the text console) needs 5m dynamic steps to crunch 400 frames, and each frame is takin' just 5.3 minutes.

:eek: ZOOM!!! :eek:

MrMacMan
Mar 9, 2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by pimentoLoaf
My 2.4ghz p4 laptop (running the text console) needs 5m dynamic steps to crunch 400 frames, and each frame is takin' just 5.3 minutes.

:eek: ZOOM!!! :eek:

God damn. Why did they code the Tinker core for macs sooo bad? :(

bousozoku
Mar 9, 2003, 06:21 PM
God damn. Why did they code the Tinker core for macs sooo bad? :(

The code is probably exactly the same as what's compiled on the PC. It just runs better there. The only difference would be in the storage and retrieval where PCs do it opposite big machines and Macs.

AmbitiousLemon
Mar 9, 2003, 06:23 PM
if you look at the statistics macs do more processing per cpu than pcs. though this is a bit slanted since macs most run osx which means only new macs are folding, while there are plenty of cps out there folding with only a p2

MrMacMan
Mar 9, 2003, 09:34 PM
if you look at the statistics macs do more processing per cpu than pcs. though this is a bit slanted since macs most run osx which means only new macs are folding, while there are plenty of cps out there folding with only a p2
Yeah but the P4's are owning us. 5 Min a frame? God damn.
Tell me if the 1.42 Dual gets 5 min a frame.
No, I didn't think so. :rolleyes:

Currently we are behind not gaining on LWD today (at 10:30 EST) they are outproducing us by 700. :rolleyes: You go up and you go down.

pimentoLoaf
Mar 9, 2003, 09:53 PM
Would have sent a few since last posting, but was installing Norton Utilities and Firewall, and then everything slooooooowed down...

Seems it was WinXP indexing the drive. I turned it off.

It's also taking me 15 minutes to write this due to the Batman behind-the-scenes movie.

"Frank, you're mad... and you're not a villian, you're an actor!"

MacFocus
Mar 10, 2003, 01:01 AM
Does anybody know if the graphical client for Win2K uses both of my processors in my dual P4 2Ghz Xeon?

(I'd rather use a Mac, but can't leave this baby doing nothing at night :D :D )

My P4 1,7 is crunching since yesterday and my Dual 876 is going to use the second proc after the current WU has finished.

Well, my dual P4 Xeon 2Ghz and my Dual 876 are since now in Dual proc mode.:)
That makes a total of 6 processors folding at my side. You could say Im climbing in the stats. ;)
Shame there isn't a folding app for OS 9. If there was I might be able to put in 5 more duals and some single G4's

But anyway, we are making some progress here:D :p ;)

(and yes, I know I was repying to my own post.)

dstorey
Mar 10, 2003, 04:01 AM
Yeah but the P4's are owning us. 5 Min a frame? God damn.

i'm on 50/60 mins a frame. the p4 not own owens its great grandparent but it easts if for breakfast as well. I don't think i'll ever hit a deadline :(

AmbitiousLemon
Mar 10, 2003, 04:04 AM
just keep pestering stanfurd for altivec support.

and from the news on the front page we should be bugging them for 64bit support soon.

britboy
Mar 10, 2003, 07:01 AM

D

You asked, and here it is:

[15:01:50] Finished a frame (1)
[15:06:43] Finished a frame (2)
[15:11:33] Finished a frame (3)
[15:16:18] Finished a frame (4)
[15:20:56] Finished a frame (5)
[15:25:26] Finished a frame (6)
[15:29:53] Finished a frame (7)
[15:34:19] Finished a frame (8)
[15:38:45] Finished a frame (9)
[15:43:13] Finished a frame (10)

It works out at about 4.30 mins/frame. Pretty damn fast if you ask me!

It's using completely conventional cooling. One fan on the cpu, drawing air away from it, a tunnel just above that fun, funneling the warm air out of the tower, and one fan at the end of that tunnel, to pull the air out faster. Add one fan for the GPU, and another for the power supply, and you've got one loud machine!

britboy
Mar 10, 2003, 07:35 AM
Why is it that some of the stats pages seem to be completely messed up? I just checked the stats on the stanford.edu site, and it has me down as having completed 26 wu, but when i click on my username, it only has a record of 3 wu. According to the statsman page, i've completed 28 wu.

What's this about?

Mr. Anderson
Mar 10, 2003, 07:56 AM
Britboy - that is pretty fast. Not sure how fast it is on my dual 1.25 - doing 2 70 pointers with 200 frames, they seem to take much longer that the other 400 20 pointers.

D

jethroted
Mar 10, 2003, 08:05 AM
Why is it that some of the stats pages seem to be completely messed up? I just checked the stats on the stanford.edu site, and it has me down as having completed 26 wu, but when i click on my username, it only has a record of 3 wu. According to the statsman page, i've completed 28 wu.

What's this about?

I don't know for sure, but if I do a team search, then click on my username it says I have 0 WU, and no active processors for the last week. Only if I do a user search, and click on my name it shows my stats. Try and figure that out! :confused:

awulf
Mar 10, 2003, 03:20 PM
GAAAAAHHHHH!

My units keep on resetting, 01 keeps dissapearing, because my computer keeps crashing. damn it, but why does EVERYTHING of that unit dissapear.

I am going to giv up untl I reformat my HD, reinstall OS X, an hope it isn't going to crash every single damn day.

Thats why I wasn't completing any units for a long period of time.

MrMacMan
Mar 10, 2003, 04:01 PM
GAAAAAHHHHH!

My units keep on resetting, 01 keeps dissapearing, because my computer keeps crashing. damn it, but why does EVERYTHING of that unit dissapear.

I am going to giv up untl I reformat my HD, reinstall OS X, an hope it isn't going to crash every single damn day.

Thats why I wasn't completing any units for a long period of time.

Give us the error messages... it shouldn't reset like that. After each frame is done your shouldn't be made to repeat the same thing.
Post it here check if we can help you. Do the normal, disk permissions before clean installing.. etc

awulf
Mar 11, 2003, 12:11 AM
Give us the error messages... it shouldn't reset like that. After each frame is done your shouldn't be made to repeat the same thing.
Post it here check if we can help you. Do the normal, disk permissions before clean installing.. etc

Everything 01 (the queue it was working on) just vanished. I looked for the files, all gone!, and then I opened up Folding and it downloaded a new unit for 01.

It's a mystery that is really weird, I also have lost some preferences and all the address book contacts.

I am currently repairing my disk permissions and there are a ton of problems, and I only repaired them a few days ago.

NavyIntel007
Mar 11, 2003, 12:43 AM
YES!!!! finally finished my first one. More points to the cause... a modest 15 or so.

MrMacMan
Mar 11, 2003, 04:19 PM
not that anyone here wants to post about it but today we moved past:
Team Alberta
and moved into the 37th spot. :D

Wow people keep adding to the pile of people under the 'first couple WU finished' catorigy.
Good-job recruiting people. :D