PDA

View Full Version : How do I Minimize All Windows at Once?

2012Tony2012
May 26, 2013, 12:41 AM
Sometimes I have multiple apps and browsers open at the same time. I want to be able to minimize all at the same time. Is that possible with an App or Key Combo on ML?

Thank you.:)

justperry
May 26, 2013, 12:46 AM
Close All windows in one App is done by the following command: Command-Option-W
Be aware that some Apps will close after doing this.
I am not aware of a keyboard shortcut to do this on multiple Apps at the same time, don't think there is an App which will do this.

GGJstudios
May 26, 2013, 12:47 AM
http://www.instructables.com/id/Show-desktop-in-mac-osx-aka-hide-all/

I prefer to set a hot corner to show the desktop.

justperry
May 26, 2013, 12:52 AM
There was a comment in the links GGJstudios gave you

Not strictly a keyboard shortcut but pressing Cmd+Option and clicking on the desktop will hide all open windows.

It works without installing anything.

benwiggy
May 26, 2013, 06:21 AM
Don't forget "Hide Others", which is <command><alt>H

Krazy Bill
May 26, 2013, 09:33 AM
I prefer to set a hot corner to show the desktop.Absolutely yes. Will drive a "guest" user bonkers though. :D

Hot corners are severely underrated.

Toby Ziegler
May 26, 2013, 10:11 AM
Five finger spread on the trackpad if you've got one. It doesn't really minimize them, but it shoots them out of the way so you have a clean desktop.

MartinJohnson
Oct 22, 2013, 03:01 PM
First CMD-OPT-H (hide all others), then CMD-H (hide current). This is the closest I got without third party apps. An app that could do all this on one single hotkey click would be so useful. In Windows it's WIN-D (meaning show Desktop).

When I hit F11 (show desktop in MacOS), it moves all the windows to the sides, as if it were letting me snoop around on the desktop for a while, but only temporarily... all those windows are hanging by a thread over my head and are about to crash down on me again any second. This is not how I imagine the minimize-all operation. I wonder was it so difficult for Apple developers to implement minimize-all operation... or was it just being different from Bill at any cost.

I respect but disagree with hot corner solutions, as they require the use of mouse/trackpad, which slows down the interaction significantly. Speed is all about moving the arrow as little as possible.