Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arexlame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2013
I'm brand new to the forums guys, sorry if I'm reposting something that has been discussed.

I have a 1TB external drive, have had it for a year and have been using it fine with my Retina MBP. This arvo I went to use it, and I plugged it in and went about my business and next minute, I get a 'No memory warning, please force quit applications'.

A quick trip to activity monitor and the finder's using 5.73GB!!!

Has anybody heard of this at all, or know what could be causing this? Even when I try to open my drive, it shows an empty drive.

Thanks again

arexlame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2013
I can resolve the issue by pulling out the drive and relaunching finder, but even after a full three restarts, nothings changed..

It's got 8gb, and it never runs slow at all..

arexlame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2013
No, when it says it can't unmount the drive it is in use, what are you using it for right now, a TimeMachine backup, if so turn of TimeMachine first and retry.

Oh okay, so it's not open by anything. I don't use time machine so it's turned off, and the only thing that's open on my mac is finder and disk utility.

Interestingly; it does the exact same thing on my snow leopard iMac, but works perfectly on a Windows 7 PC..

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Oh okay, so it's not open by anything. I don't use time machine so it's turned off, and the only thing that's open on my mac is finder and disk utility.

Interestingly; it does the exact same thing on my snow leopard iMac, but works perfectly on a Windows 7 PC..

That's why I think it needs a repair.

Do the following:

You need to quit the finder but this needs a "hack"
Open Terminal and add the following line, just copy from here:

defaults write com.apple.finder QuitMenuItem -bool true

killall Finder

After done the above click on the Finder Menu and quit the Finder, next open Disk Utility and try again.

arexlame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2013
That's why I think it needs a repair.

Do the following:

You need to quit the finder but this needs a "hack"
Open Terminal and add the following line, just copy from here:

defaults write com.apple.finder QuitMenuItem -bool true

killall Finder

After done the above click on the Finder Menu and quit the Finder, next open Disk Utility and try again.

Oh wow, that's solved it!

After running the terminal command, and leaving every other application closed, disk utility ran its repair happily.

Thankyou so much for your time, you're a life saver!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Oh wow, that's solved it!

After running the terminal command, and leaving every other application closed, disk utility ran its repair happily.

Thankyou so much for your time, you're a life saver!

:D:D

Glad it is solved.
What I think it was is that the drive was having errors, the Finder then stalled on the drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.