Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

indigoflowAS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, OH
Good Evening,

I am running on a 2 year old TiBook, of the final revision before they moved on to Aluminum. It is definitely showing its age and im trying to milk all the performace I can out of it.

After extensive research, I chose to purchase a 512mb chip from a manufacturer that has "Apple Certified" emblazoned on the RAM site. Sadly the RAM causes what I believe to be kernel panics and freezes when paired with the 256mb PC133 chip that came with the TiBook. I RMAed the chip thinking it to be faulty, and have recieved another 512 chip...the problem persists.

Running the 512mb alone, w/o the 256mb is more stable but will cause usually stable apps to crash, including widgets...so its not reliable.

I was thinking, could it be caused by a CAS Latency conflict, the Apple 256mb is CL3 and this new chip is CL2 or 2.5. If thats a possible problem, should i just find a CL3 chip elsewhere?

Other than that, I am at a loss as to what might be causing it, and both 512mb chips I have recieved can't be bad. Is this ailment fixable, or should I fork over my arm for a $150 chip from Apple?

Thanks in advance.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
indigoflowAS said:
Good Evening,

I am running on a 2 year old TiBook, of the final revision before they moved on to Aluminum. It is definitely showing its age and im trying to milk all the performace I can out of it.

After extensive research, I chose to purchase a 512mb chip from a manufacturer that has "Apple Certified" emblazoned on the RAM site. Sadly the RAM causes what I believe to be kernel panics and freezes when paired with the 256mb PC133 chip that came with the TiBook. I RMAed the chip thinking it to be faulty, and have recieved another 512 chip...the problem persists.

Running the 512mb alone, w/o the 256mb is more stable but will cause usually stable apps to crash, including widgets...so its not reliable.

I was thinking, could it be caused by a CAS Latency conflict, the Apple 256mb is CL3 and this new chip is CL2 or 2.5. If thats a possible problem, should i just find a CL3 chip elsewhere?

Other than that, I am at a loss as to what might be causing it, and both 512mb chips I have recieved can't be bad. Is this ailment fixable, or should I fork over my arm for a $150 chip from Apple?

Thanks in advance.

Don't buy from apple. Its a ripoff. Get your ram from a good dealer like crucial.com They'll get you compatible stuff.

Conversely, contact the vendor you bought from and talk to them about it. Maybe they've been shipping the wrong stuff or something.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
indigoflowAS said:
Good Evening,

Thanks in advance.

It may be a pc100 chip instead of a pc133 chip. The 1gig Tibook ONLY takes PC133. The lower mhz Ti's -- 400 through 550mhz I believe -- can take BOTH PC 133 and PC 100. But not the faster CPU machines. Check it out and return it for what you need.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
indigoflowAS said:

It's not likely to be a CAS Latency conflict, as any Apple compatible RAM has to have the SPD values written so that it can operate at either CL3 or CL2

(BTW: there is no such thing as CL2.5 on a PC133 module -- only DDR RAM operates at both the leading and falling edges of the clock, so only DDR can have a "half" tick latency. PC100 and PC133 must be whole number CAS Latency)

Just a nitpick point: who did you get the RAM from? Apple (the company) does not 'certify' any third party RAM, so RAM could be certified by the seller or the manufacturer for use in Apple machines, but never Apple Certified in the sense of approved by Apple themselves.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Johnny Rico

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2005
CanadaRAM said:
Just a nitpick point: who did you get the RAM from? Apple (the company) does not 'certify' any third party RAM, so RAM could be certified by the seller or the manufacturer for use in Apple machines, but never Apple Certified in the sense of approved by Apple themselves.
Sounds to me like the RAM wasn't apple certified, but the retailer was an apple certified distributor (able to sell apple's computers) and also sells third party stuff, such as ram and whatever else. The ram has nothing to do with apple.

indigoflowAS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, OH
Good call CanadaRAM, i was just spouting off words w/o looking them up again. This outfit is Omni Technologies and they are merely Registered Apple Developer and Certified Memory Manufacturer...guess that doesnt mean much.

Nice tidbit about the CAS Latency, did not know that. thanks.

I think ill be shipping this RAM back as soon as I get a hold of them. Moving up to Crucial i think. That should do it, otherwise something is wrong with my computer...but that makes little sense.

Throw any other suggestions my way if you have any.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
indigoflowAS said:
Good call CanadaRAM, i was just spouting off words w/o looking them up again. This outfit is Omni Technologies and they are merely Registered Apple Developer and Certified Memory Manufacturer...guess that doesnt mean much.

I think ill be shipping this RAM back as soon as I get a hold of them. Moving up to Crucial i think. That should do it, otherwise something is wrong with my computer...but that makes little sense.

Kingston (Not Kingston "valueram") and Samsung 144 chips work great in my 1 gig Tibook. Also my 400mhz, 550mhz 667mhz Tibooks.

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2003
California said:
Kingston (Not Kingston "valueram") and Samsung 144 chips work great in my 1 gig Tibook. Also my 400mhz, 550mhz 667mhz Tibooks.

:eek:

Can you share?

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
igucl said:
:eek:

Can you share?

My ram or my tibooks?
;)

Seriously, I've got to stop the Ti addiction. Gotta cancel a date with a Ti dealer for a 800 tomorrow in the back alley behind his office...

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
indigoflowAS said:

Oh ya, Omni.
<RANT Bias="on">
Their advertising really gets up my nose: "Hyperformance" "Highest speed" "Apple Developer!" "Clearly Superior" "Extreme Performance" "Certified OEM Manufacturer" "100% New" :eek: All words signifying nothing.

And the one that really gets me: ""Highest performance memory available for the Mac" -- give me a break! ALL compatible Mac memory operates -- get this -- at the SAME speed. 'Cause it's the Mac that sets the speed, not the RAM. Duh! Like saying "The wettest water available anywhere!"
</RANT>

OK, I'm done. If you want an alternative and are looking for a company in the US who simply delivers quality, WORKING Mac RAM, check out Data Memory Systems. Or better yet, just call them and check out how you are served. Then make up your mind who you'd rather deal with.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

PS: Make sure that the original seller refunds ALL of the shipping charges, your return postage included, as well as the purchase price. If we ever screw up an order (rare, but it happens) we send the buyer a prepaid shipping box to send it back in...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.