Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GALAGA

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
vegas
A friend of mine damaged his connector that connects to the mother board while adding a ssd drive , now his power led don`t light up ,and I`m trying to help him get the part or at lease the part number for him. If anyone have any info I would appreciate it. thanks in advance. :)

Attachments

• bracket.jpg
    bracket.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 148

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
A friend of mine damaged his connector that connects to the mother board while adding a ssd drive , now his power led don`t light up ,and I`m trying to help him get the part or at lease the part number for him. If anyone have any info I would appreciate it. thanks in advance. :)
It would help to know the details of the Mac mini that was from in case there are differences in the part between models.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013

The part looks like it is from the 2011-12 mini. Yes?

Are you sure that is the broken part? Because the hard drive carrier (black plastic) will not affect the LED. You may have damaged the LED inside the aluminium body. Only a suggestion.

Are you sure you plugged the cable leading from the infrared sensor back onto the logic board? That cable carries both the IR sensor signals and the LED signal. In you picture you can see the cable that runs along the side of the hard drive carrier.

Also did you damage the female part of the IR/LED cable (attached to the logic bard) where the cable plugs back onto the logic board?

My view is you have potentially:

-Damaged the connector on the logic board (female part soldered to the logic board), or
-Damaged the male end of the IR/LED cable that plugs into the logic board. You may have pulled a wire out of the plug, or
-Damaged the connectors at the IR Board end of theIR/LED cable, or
-Damaged the LED area up inside the alloy unibody chassis.

I do not think you need the plastic HD carrier.

If you have damaged the logic board connector or have ripped it off you are out of luck. Go and buy a bottle of scotch. Otherwise the IR/LED cable and IR board are replaceable.

Anyway the part numbers are:

The hard drive carrier is part #922-9961

The infrared board w/cable is #922-9558

Just google it and check on eBay as well. There should be a few second hand parts floating around.

Last edited:

GALAGA

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
vegas
It would help to know the details of the Mac mini that was from in case there are differences in the part between models.

late 2012 i5 ,,,sorry forgot to put the model thanks .

----------

The part looks like it is from the 2011-12 mini. Yes?

Are you sure that is the broken part? Because the hard drive carrier (black plastic) will not affect the LED. You may have damaged the LED inside the aluminium body. Only a suggestion.

Are you sure you plugged the cable leading from the infrared sensor back onto the logic board? That cable carries both the IR sensor signals and the LED signal. In you picture you can see the cable that runs along the side of the hard drive carrier.

Also did you damage the female part of the IR/LED cable (attached to the logic bard) where the cable plugs back onto the logic board?

My view is you have potentially:

-Damaged the connector on the logic board (female part soldered to the logic board), or
-Damaged the male end of the IR/LED cable that plugs into the logic board. You may have pulled a wire out of the plug, or
-Damaged the connectors at the IR Board end of theIR/LED cable, or
-Damaged the LED area up inside the alloy unibody chassis.

I do not think you need the plastic HD carrier.

If you have damaged the logic board connector or have ripped it off you are out of luck. Go and buy a bottle of scotch. Otherwise the IR/LED cable and IR board are replaceable.

Anyway the part numbers are:

The hard drive carrier is part #922-9961

The infrared board w/cable is #922-9558

Just google it and check on eBay as well. There should be a few second hand parts floating around.

I have to look at it on tuesday, my friends going to shows it to me at work so I can take a look at the real damage, I work in electronic,so hopefully I can fix it,if not I have to orders the parts, thank u for the part#s, I'll update once I see hismac mini.

GALAGA

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
vegas
found part on ebay ..thank you

:D found part on ebay!! thanks for the help guys!!:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.