PDA

View Full Version : 867 powerbook owners...questions..

Thirteenva
Dec 17, 2002, 03:36 PM
I'm considering a new 867 tibook(just can't afford the 1ghz) to replace my 500hz tibook. Just wondering if people who have bought the 867's are happy with them. We hear from the 1ghz owners all the time but i haven't come across to many 867 owners.

Are there any major issues. How's the heat issue compared to earlier models. Fan noise???? Airport reception????screen brightness??

And what was this rumor i heard about the 867 tibooks benchmarking slower than the 667's????

Thanks guys.

Backtothemac
Dec 17, 2002, 03:53 PM
well, I don't own one, but I sell them, and I can tell you that the customers are very happy with them. There is no way that the 867 Benchmarks lower than the 667. No way. they have the same L3 cache, and better graphics, so I would in no way believe that rumor.

They have good airport reception, the screen is unreal, same one from the last gen 667's and 800's. Same one that is in the 1GHZ.

Fan noise, is minimal, and as for heat, with all PowerBooks, it will make your lap toasty :)

Thirteenva
Dec 17, 2002, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
well, I don't own one, but I sell them, and I can tell you that the customers are very happy with them. There is no way that the 867 Benchmarks lower than the 667. No way. they have the same L3 cache, and better graphics, so I would in no way believe that rumor.

Thats what i figured, i remember someone posting a link on this board to site that had this on it. the L3 cache and ATI 9000 alone shoud make a huge difference.

They have good airport reception, the screen is unreal, same one from the last gen 667's and 800's. Same one that is in the 1GHZ.

Fan noise, is minimal, and as for heat, with all PowerBooks, it will make your lap toasty :)

I only ask because my ti 500 gets ok but not great airport reception. And it gets quite warm, and when the fan kicks in it is very loud. I also heard reports in the forums over on macnn that the fans will come on and stay on even under light load. Constant fan noise would drive me crazy, my current ti is silent until the fan comes on.

Thanks for the reply and if i buy one its gonna be from you over at GC. Thanks.

Megaquad
Dec 17, 2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac

Powerbook indeed has power to burn :D

Thirteenva
Dec 18, 2002, 07:13 AM
:confused: There's got to be an 867 owner on this board somewhere right, lol. Everyone is scooping up the 1gig i guess..., DOH!!!

alex_ant
Dec 18, 2002, 07:28 AM
Just think of the 867 as being a marginally slower version of the 1GHz. They're otherwise the same in every way. In fact they're probably exactly the same with the exception of a couple solder joints on the motherboard that set the CPU clock multiplier.

Thirteenva
Dec 18, 2002, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by alex_ant
Just think of the 867 as being a marginally slower version of the 1GHz. They're otherwise the same in every way. In fact they're probably exactly the same with the exception of a couple solder joints on the motherboard that set the CPU clock multiplier.

Hmm couple of sodder joints........Modify cpu multiplier........hmmmm.......nah i better not......:D

Thirteenva
Dec 18, 2002, 09:40 AM
Oh i finally found the link to the test where the 867 benchmarked terribly but the test is suspect.......

http://www.macsonly.com/index.html#pb867

xbench results on macnn have shown that the 867 scores higher than the 800 tibook. So that websites test had something wrong with it.

It just seems there are quite a few fan issues with the new line of powerbooks, both the 1ghz and 867. there's a thread 4 pages long with fan complaints.

Backtothemac
Dec 18, 2002, 09:53 AM
we have had to replace on for a customer. His fan ran constantly, and was abnormally loud. Still though, I have had no other complaints, no problems. I worked on one of the 1GHZ models last night, and the fan never kicked on.

mcrain
Dec 18, 2002, 09:58 AM
My fan kicked on after about an hour and a half or so of cd ripping. I barely noticed it.

Thirteenva
Dec 18, 2002, 10:03 AM
here is a link to the thread at macnn about the "fan issue" if anyone wants to read it..

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?threadid=134186

Thirteenva
Dec 18, 2002, 10:05 AM
here is a site that did a lot of tests on the 867 tibook versus other apple computers and the 867 did very well throughout and outperformed the old 800 in all but one test i believe...

http://www.macspeedzone.com/html/hardware/machine/comparison/portable/powerbook/index.shtml