PDA

View Full Version : DVD label programs

void
Dec 17, 2002, 04:09 PM
Does anyone know of any good programs that will make good DVD labels and DVD box designs?
Thanks,
-vjv
(Mods: if this belongs in another forum could you please move it?)

LethalWolfe
Dec 17, 2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by vjv
Does anyone know of any good programs that will make good DVD labels and DVD box designs?
Thanks,
-vjv
(Mods: if this belongs in another forum could you please move it?)

Here's the problem w/DVD labels. Many people shy away from them because they have been known to unstick (combo of heat and spinning) during playback and jam/wreck DVD players. You can use a special/modifed ink jet printer and print directly on the DVDs, but the ink is water soluble<sp?> so if it gets wet (i.e. you handle it w/wet fingers) the ink will probably smear/come off on yer fingers. The next solution is silk screening (which is what commercial DVDs use) but that is expensive and not worth the effort unless you are mass producting. There is also thermal printing (which basically "bakes" the into onto the DVD). I just got a thermal DVD labeler, but I haven't had a chance to test it yet (UPS dropped it off yesterday).

Lethal

jelloshotsrule
Dec 17, 2002, 07:01 PM
how much does the thermal labeler cost you?

do you print the labels before or after burning?

LethalWolfe
Dec 17, 2002, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
how much does the thermal labeler cost you?

do you print the labels before or after burning?

It was $150 US and it's the CP-88 ( found it on yahoo shopping). I honestly don't know if you label before or after DVD creation. I haven't even opend the shipping box yet. :o

I forgot to mention that it's PC only (I have both platform so sometimes I forgot to mention if something is platform specific). As soon as I try it out I'll post back (if I remember ;))

Lethal

bennyek
Dec 17, 2002, 11:08 PM
150.00!!!! That is really cheap for a thermal printer. I just picked up a inkjet for 350.00 from superimage.com. works great for small jobs. check it out