PDA

View Full Version : iBook G3 Not Connecting To Wireless Networks.

Goftrey
May 27, 2013, 11:46 AM
My trusty old iBook G3 (500MHz, dual-USB) is having issues connecting to my home network.

I've tried connecting via WPA, WPA-2 & even no encryption - but every time it returns with this message;

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc371/Niall_Boxhall/photo-7_zps2ceefa0c.jpg

The iBook's running 10.4.11 Tiger. And yes I've spelt the password correctly :p Any ideas?

MisterKeeks
May 27, 2013, 12:03 PM
My trusty old iBook G3 (500MHz, dual-USB) is having issues connecting to my home network.

I've tried connecting via WPA, WPA-2 & even no encryption - but every time it returns with this message;

Image (http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc371/Niall_Boxhall/photo-7_zps2ceefa0c.jpg)

The iBook's running 10.4.11 Tiger. And yes I've spelt the password correctly :p Any ideas?

The network is running WPA and not WPA2, correct?

Goftrey
May 27, 2013, 12:03 PM
The network is running WPA and not WPA2, correct?

Correct.

eyoungren
May 27, 2013, 12:07 PM
Is the Wireless Access Point you are trying to connect to (your router or whatever you use) set up for a mixed network?

You can have WPA or no encryption but if you are running a 802.11G (or N) network only the your iBook will never connect. You need to run a mixed mode of 802.11A/B/G/N to enable your iBook to connect to the WAP.

Goftrey
May 27, 2013, 12:19 PM
Is the Wireless Access Point you are trying to connect to (your router or whatever you use) set up for a mixed network?

You can have WPA or no encryption but if you are running a 802.11G (or N) network only the your iBook will never connect. You need to run a mixed mode of 802.11A/B/G/N to enable your iBook to connect to the WAP.

Yep, it's set to b/g/n.

eyoungren
May 27, 2013, 12:42 PM
Encryption? AES or TKIP?

I find that if I have mine set to AES my son's TiBook cannot connect.

Goftrey
May 27, 2013, 01:01 PM
Encryption? AES or TKIP?

I find that if I have mine set to AES my son's TiBook cannot connect.

I was wondering that - however there doesn't seem to be an option to change between TKIP & AES.

I thought TKIP comes w/ WPA2 & AES w/ WPA?

EDIT - just found some more info; the homehub (router) defaults to AES when WPA or WPA/WPA2 are selected - the only way to get to TKIP is to choose WPA2 only.

eyoungren
May 27, 2013, 01:11 PM
If your iBook supports WPA2 using Tiger then try that with TKIP.

Goftrey
May 27, 2013, 01:15 PM
If your iBook supports WPA2 using Tiger then try that with TKIP.

Nope. Still no luck unfortunately...

666sheep
May 27, 2013, 02:53 PM
Check and try this out. Old, but it might help. http://creativegeek.wordpress.com/2008/08/15/bt-home-hub-20-wi-fi-on-mac-osx/
Seems that BT Hub is a huge POS. ;)

Goftrey
May 27, 2013, 03:06 PM
Check and try this out. Old, but it might help. http://creativegeek.wordpress.com/2008/08/15/bt-home-hub-20-wi-fi-on-mac-osx/
Seems that BT Hub is a huge POS. ;)

Awesome! How on earth did you find this? It's now working perfectly - and yes, the 'most advanced router in the world' (BT's words, not mine) is just about the biggest heap of **** I've ever used in my life.

eyoungren
May 27, 2013, 03:17 PM
You might consider some options with your home network that allow you some flexibility. My ISP is a cable provider so of course I start with the cable modem. But my cable modem is not a router and that's the way I want it.

If my cable modem fails then all I have to do is replace the modem. My router still works and at least I've still got my home network going. Anyway, so, I have a wired router behind the cable modem. Been on since mid 2004 and has been a great router. I have a 24 port switch connected to the router and since it's a switch (not a hub) it take a serious load off the router when it comes to NAT. Out in my garage I have two 24 port hubs which provide all I need for the Macs out there. Also, my backup wireless router is out there for anyone wanting to connect wirelessly in the garage. All of those plug in to the switch.

Finally, back in the house I have the main wireless router. Both this one and the one in the garage have DHCP turned off and are merely acting as WAPs. This lets me connect all my wireless devices to the network and still uses my wired router as the DHCP server.

I'm not advocating that anyone set things up like I have. These are all pieces I have acquired over time, but this network setup works for me and allows redundancy. If my wired router ever goes I've got two others I can switch to.

Intell
May 27, 2013, 03:21 PM
There are a few other wireless routers that won't work when the WiFi is set to b/g/n mode. I have a D-Link box that does it as well. Took me a while to discover what the cause was.

666sheep
May 28, 2013, 02:50 PM
Awesome! How on earth did you find this?

First result of "BT Hub iBook problems" Google query ;)