Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Welcome to this weeks photo thread!

THEME: interesting light. Creative use of natural light!

Rules:

You may only submit one photo per contest.

Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Took this of my girlfriend the day I got my 100L. :)

8836242161_d5017fce23_b.jpg

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Backlight and bokeh with the most basic Canon DSLR camera and lens kit combo.

Canon 1100D/T3, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 III
1/100 sec, f/5.6, ISO 200, 55mm

Last edited:

dmax35

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
Evening sun shining down on my back yard tree.

Attachments

• treelight-1294.jpg
    treelight-1294.jpg
    789.2 KB · Views: 176

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Just realised that this competition has ended... I think!! I'm in France, so the times are all mixed up. Some great entries, I'll be back in a few hours with the results!

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
cocky jeremy

Nice shot, nice attention grabbing eyes. I like the framing, although would have preferred a less shallow depth of field so that both eyes were sharp.

Fireman32

Nice pose, model and idea. Lighting is nice and even, it looks maybe a little flat to me though? It could just be me

pmxperience

Great first attempt at a photoshoot like this! The lighting is really nice, is it natural? It looks very controlled...

twitch31

Love this shot. the sun looks awesome, and the sense of depth is great.

ijohn.8.80

The bokeh is quite nice, but the subject is very soft focused and a bit boring for me.

acearchie

Nice shot, nice light. Could have done with a reflector or something to get her eyes to shine a bit more though, some might say the background isn’t very well thought out, but I think it works. I just think it would be greatly improved with some fill light on her face.

dmax35

Nice light and colours, but the subject is lacking enough interest for my tastes.

Axisofbeagles

Again, I like the light and the colours, but I think the composition lacks interest... for me anyway!

Caliber26

Lovely sky, nice colours great shot!

imac wannabe

Nice shot, would have been ideal for last weeks contest!

Macry
Nice sky and colour not much in the way of subject matter though..

genshi

Lovely photo, and one of the only ones really that has filled the ‘creative’ part of the brief!

jjk454ss

Im not sure what you’re getting at here... maybe if you had some fill light on the subject and brightened the (what i presume is) red strip on the tower, made the snow whiter.. alternatively you could have metered for the sky more perhaps and silhouetted the tower?

fullstop102

Nice colours, nice details

longsticks

love the soft sun, and soft background in general. really nice photograph.

Badrottie

A nice photo, but a little uneventful for me.

em5photog

Nice colours and nice perspective

milbournosphere

Nice capture. looks like it should be in mexico or somewhere, maybe because of the colouring.

deep diver

Also a nice photo, but a bit uneventful

Keleko

Really interesting capture... you are refining your editing style nicely since i first started to see your photos, and although it might be a little too much for some... i like the detail and the arty aspect of it.

DirtySocks85
Great background! Nice subject. I might have preferred to see the little fella more on the left of the frame to maybe get a peak of what he is looking at, or at least more of a guess...

Some nice photos in there for sure, although most of them seemed to ‘capture’ the interesting light, rather than creatively use it.

3rd pmxperience (as long as you promise me that it’s natural light!)

2nd genshi

1st twitch31

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.