PDA

View Full Version : Will WWDC June 10 Keynote Be Streamed Online?

msz7
May 27, 2013, 06:33 PM
Any idea if the keynote will be streamed online? I know one of Apple's more recent events was live streamed to the Apple TV, but I haven't read anything about this keynote being streamed. Ideas?

brendu
May 27, 2013, 06:38 PM
Not likely, they don't really do that anymore. Sites like Engadget and the verge will be doing live coverage though.

jacobss
May 27, 2013, 07:30 PM
I think they did last year, why not this year.

nic78
May 27, 2013, 07:53 PM
They will post it online a couple hours after the event. Apple TV has a App showing all previous keynotes as well, I watched the last keynote on Apple TV a couple hours after the event.

ECUpirate44
May 27, 2013, 08:13 PM
The last event was streamed I believe. I would say theres a good chance considering all the devs who missed out on the tickets.

msz7
May 27, 2013, 08:34 PM
It would make sense for them to stream it. The Keynote is more of a press event, whereas the rest of WWDC is developer-oriented.

beaniemyman
May 28, 2013, 08:48 AM
Any idea if the keynote will be streamed online? I know one of Apple's more recent events was live streamed to the Apple TV, but I haven't read anything about this keynote being streamed. Ideas?

even if they don't, you don't have to worry because tech sites like cnet, verge, engadget,etc. would. really excited about iOS7, cant wait.

blitzer09x87
May 28, 2013, 11:18 AM
even if they don't, you don't have to worry because tech sites like cnet, verge, engadget,etc. would. really excited about iOS7, cant wait.

yep, tech sites would be covering that event. but i think apple will also be streaming this event.

omenatarhuri
May 28, 2013, 11:18 AM
I should really figure out something do, instead of waiting and being excited about this.

Oh well, one should enjoy the simple leisures I suppose.

mortenwold
May 28, 2013, 12:09 PM
The last special event (iPad mini/iMac) was streamed live on AppleTV and Apples websites. The AppleTV actually got a new app called Apple Events, and I would suggest that means they are going to continue to stream important events in the future, such as WWDC. But you never know!

msz7
May 28, 2013, 02:17 PM
That was my thinking also, it makes sense, and would make a lot of people happy

TheRainKing
May 28, 2013, 04:39 PM
I think they will stream it, they did it with the last few keynotes I think.

Defender2010
May 29, 2013, 03:21 PM
Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't - hopefully they will!

MarcBook
May 29, 2013, 05:46 PM
I really hope they do. I work in an Apple Premium Reseller and my colleagues and I are planning pizza and beers for it (as it'll be after work at 6PM UK time).

Fatboy71
May 30, 2013, 02:17 AM
The AppleTV actually got a new app called Apple Events

I don't see that app on my 3rd gen Apple TV, in the UK.

virginblue4
May 30, 2013, 05:08 AM
I don't see that app on my 3rd gen Apple TV, in the UK.

In the past it only appears just before the event.

Fatboy71
May 30, 2013, 06:46 AM
In the past it only appears just before the event.

Thanks for that, I'll keep a look out for that.

pooleman
May 30, 2013, 07:04 AM
They will post it online a couple hours after the event. Apple TV has a App showing all previous keynotes as well, I watched the last keynote on Apple TV a couple hours after the event.

Which app on apple on app,e tv does this?

Never mind.

SBLDN
May 30, 2013, 07:59 AM
Hope it will be available on Apple TV like the iPad Mini keynote was last October. So excited!

pmontanarella
May 30, 2013, 08:05 AM
Hopefully like the last one back in October, this one will be streamed as well! It would make perfect sense since they even built an Apple TV app just for Apple Events where they streamed October's event. Otherwise the video will be up just a few hours later.

Pietro

nickharris1992
Jun 6, 2013, 01:57 PM
Is there going to be a public live broadcast of the WWDC keynote on Monday or is their only going to be one for Developers.

Thanks

Rogifan
Jun 6, 2013, 02:04 PM
Someone on Twitter posted that they heard Ive would be demoing the UI portion of iOS 7. I assume they're just messing with people, but one can dream. :)

luked14
Jun 6, 2013, 04:22 PM
It's been several years since WWDC was streamed live. Very unlikely.

xcodeaddict
Jun 6, 2013, 05:56 PM

Who wants to see constantly updated STATIC IMAGES of WWDC, passed through a journalist filter, with inane blabbering added? I'd rather bide my time and hear the story from the source, thanks all the same :D

Che Castro
Jun 9, 2013, 12:13 AM
i remember the ipad mini keynote was freezing a lot on my apple tv and i have fast internet speeds

but i hope they stream it live again

Bonestle
Jun 9, 2013, 12:41 AM
As much as I want a live stream I can understand if we don't get one. This isn't a product launch but (as the name designates) a Developer Conference.
It isn't for everyone.

I really hope I'm wrong :D

Michaelgtrusa
Jun 9, 2013, 01:21 AM
I hope so, if it does it will only work on Apple's browser.

gooberwilson
Jun 9, 2013, 01:58 AM
Hopefully like the last one back in October, this one will be streamed as well! It would make perfect sense since they even built an Apple TV app just for Apple Events where they streamed October's event. Otherwise the video will be up just a few hours later.

Pietro

Did they really aka an app on the Apple TV? I don't remember this... Did it require an update for the app to show up or anything?

G-Mo
Jun 9, 2013, 02:02 AM
Are they not streaming it through the WWDC app? The app says sessions will be streamed.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/wwdc/id640199958?mt=8

pmontanarella
Jun 9, 2013, 06:08 AM
Did they really aka an app on the Apple TV? I don't remember this... Did it require an update for the app to show up or anything?

Yes they created an app (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/23/apple-to-stream-live-video-of-ipad-mini-media-event-to-apple-tv/), which makes it seem more likely that they will stream WWDC as well because I'd be surprised if they coded a whole app to only use it once. As for your question about the update, no, it just appeared on the morning of the event and disappeared a few weeks later, like the iTunes Music Festival one.

----------

Are they not streaming it through the WWDC app? The app says sessions will be streamed.

I'm not exactly sure if they mean live streaming, or just watch in streaming a few hours after the event; hopefully the former. On a side note, you'll likely need to be a Registered Apple Developer to be able to stream it.

Pietro

pmontanarella
Jun 9, 2013, 06:37 AM
i remember the ipad mini keynote was freezing a lot on my apple tv and i have fast internet speeds

but i hope they stream it live again

That's strange, my stream was pretty much running smoothly. And my internet at the time wasn't even that good...

Pietro

Evoken
Jun 9, 2013, 06:40 AM

That can happen if too many people are watching the live stream. The server gets bogged down and starts lagging. It isn't really related to internet speed.

Bonestle
Jun 9, 2013, 06:45 AM
Does anyone recall how long prior to previous announcements that the app appeared on Apple TV? I believe I used it for the iPad mini event and that it only popped up the night before (Australian time) but I could be wrong.
I do remember that it streamed perfectly for me.

jafingi
Jun 9, 2013, 07:05 AM
I don't think WWDC have ever be live-streamed.

Only other keynotes.

Remember, some people have paid a premium to watch that keynote. It would loose value if it could just be live-streamed :)

Maybe registered Apple developers could get a stream? Who knows.

I think we'll have to watch the live-blogs tomorrow! I'm 99% sure it wont be streamed.

pmontanarella
Jun 9, 2013, 08:04 AM
Does anyone recall how long prior to previous announcements that the app appeared on Apple TV? I believe I used it for the iPad mini event and that it only popped up the night before (Australian time) but I could be wrong.
I do remember that it streamed perfectly for me.

I remember it appeared during the day (European time), so around early morning PST. If it does appear for WWDC, I think it will appear 5-10 hours before the keynote.

Pietro

technowar
Jun 9, 2013, 08:06 AM
Will Apple TV be having a live stream?

pmontanarella
Jun 9, 2013, 08:08 AM
I don't think WWDC have ever be live-streamed.

Only other keynotes.

Remember, some people have paid a premium to watch that keynote. It would loose value if it could just be live-streamed :)

I'm fairly certain that the price Developers paid to get tickets goes towards the whole conference (1000 apple engineers to help the developers, all the sessions for coding) rather than the keynote itself...

I wouldn't be surprised if they did stream it live.

Pietro

Tom2893
Jun 9, 2013, 10:18 AM
Only thing I know is Apple have the keynote on their website a couple hours after the event

xcodeaddict
Jun 9, 2013, 10:27 AM
Will Apple be making an N95 compatible stream? I also need to stream it on my Compaq iPaq, my SNES and my GameCube.

charlituna
Jun 9, 2013, 11:05 AM
That was my thinking also, it makes sense, and would make a lot of people happy

Actually there are two good reasons not to live stream

One, bandwidth issues. They aren't on their own campus so isolating a wifi net just for the stream isn't as easy.

Two, the media. Who would fear that if Apple live streams they won't get hits for their live blogging thus why bother coming etc. and Apple needs the media to keep loving them and talking pretty about them so they can skip big marketing campaigns.

----------

No it doesn't because they aren't.

They say available daily, because they are going to prep and post each session as soon as it is over rather than wait until next week when the whole conference is done.

tony3d
Jun 9, 2013, 11:13 AM
Will you be able to view it live on Apple TV, like they have done on the past for iPad events?

simsaladimbamba
Jun 9, 2013, 11:16 AM
Will you be able to view it live on Apple TV, like they have done on the past for iPad events?

As mentioned previously, NO. You will be able to watch the keynote, since the WWDC involves more than that keynote, at a later time via the Apple site and iTunes.

jeffe
Jun 9, 2013, 02:18 PM
Actually there are two good reasons not to live stream

One, bandwidth issues. They aren't on their own campus so isolating a wifi net just for the stream isn't as easy.

C'mon now...Why would they isolate a wifi net just for the stream? The live steam could easily be sent off-site through an Ethernet cable/Sat truck or whatever they use these days.

jafingi
Jun 9, 2013, 11:58 PM
C'mon now...Why would they isolate a wifi net just for the stream? The live steam could easily be sent off-site through an Ethernet cable/Sat truck or whatever they use these days.

Yeah. A 720p video stream could actually be sent to their server via LTE. So no bandwidth issues there.

It would be Apple's servers that handles the video to the users. Not a server at WWDC.

pmontanarella
Jun 10, 2013, 05:46 AM
Yes, there will be a live stream. The WWDC app has showed up on my Apple TV! "Tune in a 10:00 a.m. (Pacific) on June 10 to watch this event live."

Pietro

dontpannic
Jun 10, 2013, 05:55 AM
Seriously? That's awesome!

stridemat
Jun 10, 2013, 05:57 AM
Seriously? That's awesome!

See the front page article.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/10/apple-to-stream-live-video-of-wwdc-2013-keynote-to-apple-tv/

dontpannic
Jun 10, 2013, 05:58 AM
Just seen it.

Leave work at half 4, walk home, feet up, cider in hand, Apple TV on.

I make that a geek night in!

Bonestle
Jun 10, 2013, 05:59 AM
I'm so glad I was wrong!