Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDuff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2002
San Francisco
Hey everyone,
I normally hate the Real Player. But there are some ram files that I would like to convert to mp3 if possible. Does anyone know how to do this or where I can find the software to do it? I checked Versiontracker but nothing came up; maybe I'm using the wrong keywords. Thanks for the help.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
as far as I know, there isn't a way to do it without outputting the file to an external source and then reinputting (or just looping omfr the sound out to the sound in).

I know a program was made a long time ago for windows that allowed people to capture and convert realplayer files, but they were sued and it was taken down. Real player likes to keep absolute contorl over their formats.

So unless I am mistaken and someone knows otherwise, I'd say there's not really simple way to do it.

ryme4reson

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2002
Cupertino CA
Audio Hijack

You can use a program called audio hijack, that can record audio from any app. So you open audio hijack, the launch RealOne from within AudHiJack, and record the output. Then you convert that output to MP3 from within iTunes, and delete the large .aiff created file.

You can get audio hijack from version tracker, or check out my software page @

http://homepage.mac.com/jamesk777/

MacDuff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2002
San Francisco
Thanks a lot Ryme. If this works than it'll help me out a lot on those long hours of driving home for break with my iPod. you're the man.

peace

if anyone knows any others though, feel free to give input!

grobbins

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2002
RealOne Player for Windows can convert RealMedia files to MP3. That feature is not currently supported in the Mac player, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.