PDA

View Full Version : BTO Disadvantages

Texas04
Oct 31, 2005, 09:49 PM
Are there any disadvantages to getting a Built to Order Powerbook? Will Apple still replace my labtop if there is a manufacter's defect? Or will it be harder because it is built to order and it is not just standard?
I am looking at buying a 15" Powerbook this December (enough time for all those little bugs to get worked out) It will have 1GB of ram and Possibly a 100GB hard drive.

dubbz
Oct 31, 2005, 09:51 PM
The only difference will be that you'll have to wait a bit longer before you get it. Nothing else.

MacTruck
Oct 31, 2005, 09:52 PM
Are there any disadvantages to getting a Built to Order Powerbook? Will Apple still replace my labtop if there is a manufacter's defect?

No

Will it be harder because it is built to order and it is not just standard?

Yes

Texas04
Oct 31, 2005, 09:52 PM
The only difference will be that you'll have to wait a bit longer before you get it. Nothing else.

Thats music and a relief to my eyes... lol :D

screensaver400
Oct 31, 2005, 09:54 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but on BTO don't you have to deal with Applecare's Phone Support to get it replaced? That is, you can't walk into an Apple Store with a DOA BTO machine and expect to walk out with a new, working one.

Also, you can't return a BTO with an open box. I believe you can, albeit with a penalty, with a stock model.

MacTruck
Oct 31, 2005, 09:55 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but on BTO don't you have to deal with Applecare's Phone Support to get it replaced? That is, you can't walk into an Apple Store with a DOA BTO machine and expect to walk out with a new, working one.

Also, you can't return a BTO with an open box. I believe you can, albeit with a penalty, with a stock model.

You are correct sir.

dubbz
Oct 31, 2005, 09:55 PM

That's true. Forgot about that one since there's no Apple Stores around here anyway :p

Edit: Forgot the the the return for BTO thing too. We get to do that regardless thanks to various other laws. This likely doesn't apply in the US.

mcarnes
Oct 31, 2005, 10:06 PM
BTO is frickin' awesome. I can't imagine buying a mac without bumping up the hard drive and stuff. You must BTO, you MUST!

g0gie
Oct 31, 2005, 10:19 PM
You cant return BTO powerbooks... thats a biggie

tekmoe
Oct 31, 2005, 11:03 PM
i got apple to replace my BTO 17" due to a misalignment of the screen. i got the email about 2 hours ago saying my new replacement has been shipped. as soon as i get it, i will verify it is in good condition and will send back my old one.

hopefully this new one does not have a dead pixel and the screen is aligned properly...

fyrmedic
Nov 1, 2005, 11:12 AM
i got apple to replace my BTO 17" due to a misalignment of the screen. i got the email about 2 hours ago saying my new replacement has been shipped. as soon as i get it, i will verify it is in good condition and will send back my old one.

hopefully this new one does not have a dead pixel and the screen is aligned properly...

What do you mean by misalignment of the screen? is is crooked?

devilot
Nov 1, 2005, 11:29 AM
My AppleStore wouldn't replace my DOA iMac G5 (20", 2.0GHz) because it was 'BTO'...

It had an extra 512MB stick of RAM. :rolleyes: So I got to wait 3 weeks until they got the part to fix it. :(

tekmoe
Nov 1, 2005, 01:07 PM
What do you mean by misalignment of the screen? is is crooked?

yes, the lid that houses the screen is not lined up properly at the back right corner with the base of the laptop. it's not smooth compared to the left side. this will cause problems with the opening and closing of the lid.

tekmoe
Nov 1, 2005, 01:10 PM
My AppleStore wouldn't replace my DOA iMac G5 (20", 2.0GHz) because it was 'BTO'...

It had an extra 512MB stick of RAM. :rolleyes: So I got to wait 3 weeks until they got the part to fix it. :(

sounds like BS to me. it says right on the apple store sales and refunds policy page that they WILL exchange a BTO ONLY IF the machine is DOA. i would have never sent it in to have repaired.

hell, i got them to my do an exchange my new 17" and it's working fine with the exception of a bad pixel and misaligned screen. yes they wanted me to ship it in for repair but i fought with them for an hour on the phone and got my way.

don't be so easy...

devilot
Nov 1, 2005, 01:12 PM
yes they wanted me to ship it in for repair but i fought with them for an hour on the phone and got my way.

don't be so easy...Actually, I clocked in over 5 hours between AppleCare and the local Apple Store's geniuses... So I wasn't that 'easy,' I just got fed up w/ being on the phone and explaining the situation over and over again.

Texas04
Nov 1, 2005, 03:04 PM
So if it is DOA and I have opened the Box.. (I dont see how you know its DOA without Opening the box) Then they will not replace it with a shiny new one that has the same specs as the old one?

SuperSnake2012
Nov 1, 2005, 03:13 PM
I'm thinking about buying a stock 12" Powerbook from Amazon.com (don't want to upgrade anything, 80GB is plenty). If something goes wrong, I can take it to the Apple Store and get a replacement stock model, correct? :confused:

Macky-Mac
Nov 1, 2005, 03:20 PM
So if it is DOA and I have opened the Box.. (I dont see how you know its DOA without Opening the box) Then they will not replace it with a shiny new one that has the same specs as the old one?

if it's really "DOA" they'll replace it, but dont confuse "DOA" with a machine that's got a problem which can be fixed.....Apple will decide whether it's truely "DOA" or if it's something that can be fixed

the "opened box" thing doesnt effect warranty issues for defective machines....it's more about consumers who have reached the point of "I've changed my mind and dont want to buy this" and then want to return or cancel the purchase

screensaver400
Nov 1, 2005, 03:41 PM
I don't see why people would BTO stuff. The 80gb hard drives are sufficient for most people, and the max to BTO is 100gb anyway. Its not like you could get a 160gb 7200rpm hard drive BTOed. That I'd understand.

And Ram... It doesn't void your warranty to add ram yourself, and its simple to do. You can get some good quality stuff from OWC (on some models, even the exact same stuff Apple uses) for a lot less than Apple would charge.

SuperSnake2012
Nov 1, 2005, 03:54 PM
Well if you bought an iBook or Mac Mini you should BTO them as they come with tiny hard drives; 40GB for both unless you buy the 14" iBook/midrange-highrange Mini.

rdowns
Nov 1, 2005, 06:16 PM
Are there any disadvantages to getting a Built to Order Powerbook? Will Apple still replace my labtop if there is a manufacter's defect?

Apple has never replaced a labtop, be it a standard configuration or a BTO.

milky23
Nov 1, 2005, 06:31 PM
Another disadvantage: BTO machines cannot be returned for a refund if you are dissatisfied. With the default options, you can return your product within 10 days, though you are hit with some ridiculous restocking fee.

Apple doesn't seem to be a customer friendly company.

Texas04
Nov 1, 2005, 08:33 PM
Apple has never replaced a labtop, be it a standard configuration or a BTO.

So if Apple thinks its DOA then they will not send me a new Powerbook of the same model? Getting very confused...
I understand they wont give me a Dual G5 Powermac for it, I just want to know, if Apple decides my Powerbook is DOA will they replace it with a new Powerbook of the same model and specs?

Mr. Anderson
Nov 1, 2005, 08:36 PM
So if Apple thinks its DOA then they will not send me a new one? Getting very confused...

You still get the standard 1 year warrantee, so don't worry about DOA. If its DOA, you send it back....they'll replace it. The only thing is you'll have to wait a little longer :D

Its still worth it if you're looking at getting something that's not prepackaged and that you're not capable of getting/adding yourself.

D

Texas04
Nov 1, 2005, 08:38 PM
You still get the standard 1 year warrantee, so don't worry about DOA. If its DOA, you send it back....they'll replace it. The only thing is you'll have to wait a little longer :D

Its still worth it if you're looking at getting something that's not prepackaged and that you're not capable of getting/adding yourself.

D

THANK YOU!

:D