Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

murphdog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
Well the price drops are welcome….but what do you guys think the likelihood, it would be nice!

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
New displays are inevitable, it's just a question of whether we will see them at MWSF or not. The new 20" iMac has a better display in it than the 20" display itself does, so we know Apple has new and better display technology right now. So, as I said, it's just a question of when they plan on introducing it. We already know Apple has them. :cool:

murphdog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
Yep thats what I was thinking so am just wondering if I should hold off getting one with my quad...

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
murphdog said:
Yep thats what I was thinking so am just wondering if I should hold off getting one with my quad...

Might as well! If you're going all out with your new machine, you might as well wait for a nice, new top-of-the-line displays for it too! :cool:

jaysmith

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2005
new displays

I'd kill for some lower-end models, maybe upgrade the inside of the cinema displays and put the old parts into a consumer display. better be white, clear coated, and match up perfectly with my imac.

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
jaysmith said:
I'd kill for some lower-end models, maybe upgrade the inside of the cinema displays and put the old parts into a consumer display. better be white, clear coated, and match up perfectly with my imac.

If they are going to come out with something it would be a 17 inch to bundle with the Mini, but I doubt we will even see that because the logical time ship for a 17 inch would have been before school started. I doubt they would consider making a crappy version of the beatiful cinema display. If you want cheaper plastic buy a Dell. (Not trying to start argument about Dell ;))

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
macbaseball said:
If they are going to come out with something it would be a 17 inch to bundle with the Mini, but I doubt we will even see that because the logical time ship for a 17 inch would have been before school started. I doubt they would consider making a crappy version of the beatiful cinema display. If you want cheaper plastic buy a Dell. (Not trying to start argument about Dell ;))

the next displays will include isight cameras built in and will apear either in Jan. at MWSF or when the intel powermacs come out. Why have isights built in you say, cuase not only does it cut down the cost of buying one later and saves space but makes you need broadband to use it properly to talk to grandma in kansas but helping push people into broadband will make it easier to launch a movie download store. I'm on to you Steve. I read minds.

Tyler

denial

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2005
When the 20" dropped to £549 (UK) it enhanced sales. Yet Dell have cut prices yet again and now the 20" still seems overpriced. If they could get it down to £399 that would be awesome. Or a nice new entry level 17"?.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
TyleRomeo said:
the next displays will include isight cameras built in and will apear either in Jan. at MWSF or when the intel powermacs come out.

Wow, that's quite the spread you have there! So, either in 2 months or 16 months?!? :p I think we will definitely see display updates within the next 4 months, and hopefully at MWSF in 2 months' time. Apple already has new displays, they are using them in the new iMacs, so why would they wait over an entire year to release them with the Intel PowerMacs?!? I'll bet money you are wrong on that one. :cool:

In fact, I think it's quite possible we'll see a few updates to the display line (better screens, then later, another price drop) before the Intel PowerMacs come out in 2007. :cool:

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
dogbone said:
Why not say £400 you're not selling them. :D
cos 399 sounds that little bit better i thinks

if apple shoves out a 17" it might kill sales on there 20" which i think they earn a plenty from

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
denial said:
When the 20" dropped to £549 (UK) it enhanced sales. Yet Dell have cut prices yet again and now the 20" still seems overpriced. If they could get it down to £399 that would be awesome. Or a nice new entry level 17"?.

Dell has some very different prices in different countries. On the Austrian store homepage the 20" Dell widescreen costs 749 €. The Apple Cinema Display costs 819 € here. I just looked at the prices because I'm considering buying one soon. Of course I'll get the Apple when I have saved enough, as it is almost the same price.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
I'd like to see a few changes to the displays.

1) A 17" model with the same resolution as the 17" PB... that would be as many pixels as the current 20" ACD. Sell at $500.
2) Make the rest of the ACD's High Definition. (find a way to add the extra 30 vertical lines to the 20" please)

While it would be nice to see a built-in iSight, I highly doubt it... the iMac is 2" (ish) thick, while AFAIK, the ACD is thinnner. The iMac also has a top bezel that is larger than the ACD. I also doubt that Apple will add analog inputs (composite, s-video) because of the increased thickness and the additional heat output. I would sacrifice a little thickness of the display but additional cosmetic changes would take away from the clean appearance of the displays.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
jdechko said:
I'd like to see a few changes to the displays.

1) A 17" model with the same resolution as the 17" PB... that would be as many pixels as the current 20" ACD. Sell at $500.
2) Make the rest of the ACD's High Definition. (find a way to add the extra 30 vertical lines to the 20" please)

While it would be nice to see a built-in iSight, I highly doubt it... the iMac is 2" (ish) thick, while AFAIK, the ACD is thinnner. The iMac also has a top bezel that is larger than the ACD. I also doubt that Apple will add analog inputs (composite, s-video) because of the increased thickness and the additional heat output. I would sacrifice a little thickness of the display but additional cosmetic changes would take away from the clean appearance of the displays.

Adding in a tiny CCD chip and lens will not add 2 inches to the display, I believe there is an entire computer in the back of the G5 imacs, including CPU, hard drive optical drive, RAM ect...

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Ah, this is so tempting! :mad: I want to get a Power Mac soon with a ACD 23-inch. I am thinking I should wait until MWSF... that would be the smart thing to do. But I REALLY want a Power Mac within the next couple of weeks. I have a Dell 2005FPW, but I have that hooked up to my Windows machine. Well to really think about it, the way I am going now I won't have enough money for my Cinema Display until a month or two from now, so I might as well wait until the MWSF. Okay, now I am arguing with myself...

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
I've been wanting one for awhile as well, but I'd be so disappointed if they ended up putting iSights on them right after I buy one. That's why I'll probably wait until my birthday in May to spoil myself.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I think well see the new displays as soon as the old ones get cleared out. MWSF sounds about right. And I doubt Apple will put in a built in iSight into the new displays, as they are PRO units, and I dont think most pros want to video conference, could be wrong though. I hope they dont do it case I think it looks ugly.

pionata

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
Montreal
Just wondering, since Im also waiting for january to buy my display;
The powerbook also has an upgraded display right? At 17" it runs the resolution of the 20" cinema display.

So in theory, wouldnt it be possible for apple to make a 20" or 21" display with a 1900x1200 resolution, and a 23" or 24" display with the 30" resolution? That would so kick ass... much more than just better contrast and the rest. Or would that raise the price a bit too much?

Imagine a 24 inch apple monitor running at 2500x1600 or something...

Also, since its Apple, they should throw in some stuff that is interesting, specialy a scaler so that it can receive any resolution without an adapter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.