PDA

View Full Version : Sketchy Rumor Claims Apple Launching 12.9-Inch 'iPad Maxi' in Early 2014 to Target Ultrabooks

MacRumors
May 28, 2013, 08:17 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/28/sketchy-rumor-claims-apple-launching-12-9-inch-ipad-maxi-in-early-2014-to-target-ultrabooks/)

Korean site ETNews.com reports (http://www.etnews.com/news/device/device/2774001_1479.html) [Google translation (http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A//www.etnews.com/news/device/device/2774001_1479.html%23ystfuv&hl=en&langpair=auto|en&tbb=1&ie=UTF-8), via Unwired View (http://www.unwiredview.com/2013/05/28/apple-is-working-on-12-9-ipad-maxi-for-early-2014-release/)] that Apple is working on a new, larger iPad with a display measuring 12.9 inches diagonally, compared to the 9.7-inch display on the current full-size iPad. The larger iPad, which the site apparently in all seriousness says would be called "iPad Maxi", would launch in the first half of 2014 and be intended to target the ultrabook market as well as increase utility for digital textbooks.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/01/ipad.jpg
While some users have expressed a desire for a larger iPad, consumer preference certainly appears to be trending toward smaller screens and more portability rather than larger screens. While the original iPad has experienced significant success, several analysts have estimated that the iPad mini immediately began outselling its larger sibling upon launch late last year.

ETNews.com does not have a particularly solid track record regarding Apple rumors, and is not a frequent rumor source either. Previous incorrect reports have included claims that the iPhone that was ultimately dubbed iPhone 4S would launch in late June 2011 (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/04/iphone-5-to-launch-at-end-of-june/) and that the iPhone 5 would take advantage of Liquidmetal alloys (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/04/18/liquidmetal-based-iphone-5-to-launch-at-wwdc-in-june/) and launch in June 2012. More recently, the site claimed that fingerprint sensor firm AuthenTec had cut off its existing customer base (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/24/authentec-said-to-cut-off-non-apple-fingerprint-sensor-customers-in-2013/) after being acquired by Apple, a development that seems likely amid rumors of Apple deploying fingerprint technology on the iPhone 5S.

Article Link: Sketchy Rumor Claims Apple Launching 12.9-Inch 'iPad Maxi' in Early 2014 to Target Ultrabooks (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/28/sketchy-rumor-claims-apple-launching-12-9-inch-ipad-maxi-in-early-2014-to-target-ultrabooks/)

Andy-V
May 28, 2013, 08:20 AM
"iPad Maxi" is surely a joke haha.

Harrycooke
May 28, 2013, 08:20 AM
As if they'd ever name it something that sounds so similar to a feminine hygiene product.

appleguy123
May 28, 2013, 08:21 AM
I want a larger iPad, but that name is ridiculous.

People are buying the mini iPad because its cheaper. With the same data, you could say that customers don't like retina displays because the iPad with a non retina display is outselling the retina iPad.

Also, how can you assume that the Korean site is being serious from a google translation?

daverso
May 28, 2013, 08:21 AM
Is it April again??

MonkeySee....
May 28, 2013, 08:22 AM
Was this even worth posting MacRumour team?

organerito
May 28, 2013, 08:22 AM
I was thinking to buy an iPad to read music. I have tried it and the 9.7 screen a little too small. I would buy immediately a 12.9-inch iPad.

Unfortunately, I don't think it is going to happen.

bbeagle
May 28, 2013, 08:23 AM

It would never be called 'Maxi Pad' or anything like that.
Probably something like 'iPad Professional' or 'iPad Platinum Edition'.

slprescott
May 28, 2013, 08:24 AM
A good use for a larger iPad would be sheet music.

My wife teaches piano, and I've long predicted that tablets will eventually take the place of students carrying stacks of music books. The problem today is the size: the current iPad is significantly smaller than traditional sheet music books. But... an iPad Maxi could cover that much better -- and selling the Maxi to music students would be a very nice (and large) sales entry point.

jonAppleSeed
May 28, 2013, 08:24 AM
iPad Grandioso would be better

ajvizzgamer101
May 28, 2013, 08:25 AM
It would never be called 'Maxi Pad' or anything like that.
Probably something like 'iPad Professional' or 'iPad Platinum Edition'.

iPad Pro and iPad mini

jakebot
May 28, 2013, 08:25 AM
I would love this size of iPad!

daneoni
May 28, 2013, 08:29 AM
"iPad Maxi" tells you all you need to know about this 'rumor'

BanterClaus
May 28, 2013, 08:30 AM
At that point doesn't it become too big to hold comfortably?

If you need a screen that big then surely an ultrabook or an Air would be the way to go. I just think that's too big for a tablet.

amerdian
May 28, 2013, 08:33 AM
Next...

rdas7
May 28, 2013, 08:34 AM
Come on, isn't 'iPad Pro' the obvious name for this?

With the added size, you'd have space for a bigger battery, more storage and more room for heat dissipation (ergo faster processors), so a "Pro" segment would make sense.

Unlikely to be *early* 2014 though, since the success of such a project would surely hinge on there being "Pro" apps available to take advantage of it.

Arran
May 28, 2013, 08:35 AM
iPad Pro and iPad mini

Or, instead of "iPad Pro", the current 9.7" iPads are discontinued and this simply becomes "the new iPad"?

It's the 'stay-at-home' iPad, and the mini is the 'to-go' model.

schlitzz
May 28, 2013, 08:36 AM
iPad Maxi?

Okay, does it come with a plastic, or cardboard applicator?!:eek:

JaySoul
May 28, 2013, 08:36 AM
Won't be happy until every Apple product is available in increments of 0.1" (at least).

Rogifan
May 28, 2013, 08:38 AM
Geez MR do you need to report on every rumor that comes out of Asia, even when the rumors are so ridiculous no one would believe them?

----------

No.

omenatarhuri
May 28, 2013, 08:38 AM
Geez MR do you need to report on every rumor that comes out of Asia, even when the rumors are so ridiculous no one would believe them?

I think its good that we get full coverage. Thanks MR. Why so negative?

Orlandoech
May 28, 2013, 08:39 AM
A bigger/another iPad when we can't even get an iPhone with a bigger screen?

Lame.

iSee
May 28, 2013, 08:41 AM
I would go for an iPad this size, especially if they could keep the weight down somehow.

Some of the tasks I use my iPad for, reading programming books, sketching, and taking notes often feel cramped.

But I doubt this rumor and the name seems silly.

Bhatu
May 28, 2013, 08:41 AM
Maxi Sounds old fashioned! :cool:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BLW0avhCIAAtswW.jpg

Shaun, UK
May 28, 2013, 08:43 AM
I don't know why they have to give each model a unique name. They don't do it with their computers, so why not just call it the iPad - available in 3 screen sizes. Sounds better than the iPad, iPad mini and iPad maxi.

A4 size iPad sounds good to me. I bet a lot of people would ditch their laptop for that.

scott523
May 28, 2013, 08:45 AM
Most ridiculous rumor I've ever read here.

Mad Mac Maniac
May 28, 2013, 08:45 AM
Let's entertain for a moment that Apple does release some sort of larger iPad ~13". I know I've seen plenty of requests for that here at MR over the past 3 years.

Anybody care to do that math of what the PPI would be if the resolution stayed the same vs if Apple approached the standard "doubling" technicque (which of course really is 4x the pixels)?

dandimar
May 28, 2013, 08:47 AM
MaxiPad?

COME ON!

FirstNTenderbit
Just no, for I would not be pleased.

-Macbook Air:mad:

KdParker
I am sure this would have to come with and attachable key board or something like that if this is to target Ultrabooks....

mikeo007
May 28, 2013, 08:49 AM
Seems legit :rolleyes:

KazKam
May 28, 2013, 08:51 AM
"To Target Ultrabooks"?!?

So, Apple is going to develop a product to compete with ultrabooks, that were developed to compete with MacBook Airs... OoooooKaaaaaaay.

gadgetguy03
May 28, 2013, 08:52 AM

I think its good that we get full coverage. Thanks MR. Why so negative?

I thought it was from The Onion...

perealb
May 28, 2013, 08:53 AM
iPad Normous

guzhogi
May 28, 2013, 08:57 AM
If they call it the "iPad Maxi"…

GoCubsGo
May 28, 2013, 08:59 AM
A bigger/another iPad when we can't even get an iPhone with a bigger screen?

Lame.
You got an iPhone with a larger screen.

This is surely a sketchy rumor ... it is more sketchy than rumor and shockingly being posted on this site.

ConCat
May 28, 2013, 09:08 AM

Probably not, but it would seem to be a slow news day, so they'll take what they can get. I have to say though, this is about as ridiculous as it gets... It even says in the story how unreliable the site is. Scraping the bottom of the barrel for rumors is one thing, but this might as well have been made up entirely by Arn. Oh well. :p

macchiato2009
May 28, 2013, 09:10 AM
OMG 12.9" that's ridiculous :eek: :(

marksman
May 28, 2013, 09:11 AM
Samsung S5 phone will have a 13.1" screen so suck it Apple

Canyonero
May 28, 2013, 09:20 AM
iPad Maxi. MaxiPad. Whatever. Not gonna happen with any of those names. Probably not gonna happen at all. The regular iPad seems really big compared to the Mini.

PracticalMac
May 28, 2013, 09:21 AM
Old

http://youtu.be/8Q0GLNkM_JE

:D

loko
May 28, 2013, 09:24 AM
iPad demi
iPad short
iPad tall
iPad grande
iPad venti
iPad trenta

DotCom2
May 28, 2013, 09:32 AM
I would love an even larger (wider) iPhone than the 5 and a larger iPad.

ReallyOldGuy
May 28, 2013, 09:45 AM
and we were told " this is the optimum size tablet, we will not make a smaller one" by whom...... never say never.:p

Ryth
May 28, 2013, 09:48 AM
They should make a larger iPad. In fact, I'd reckon to say they should ditch the current size and go up an inch or two.

iPad Mini 7"
iPad 11-12"

iPad Mini becomes the portable on the go
iPad becomes the true laptop/work replacement

philiplipetz
May 28, 2013, 09:52 AM
I don't know why they have to give each model a unique name. They don't do it with their computers, so why not just call it the iPad - available in 3 screen sizes. Sounds better than the iPad, iPad mini and iPad maxi.

A4 size iPad sounds good to me. I bet a lot of people would ditch their laptop for that.

Only if Apple provided cursor control and bluetooth mouse connections without a jailbreak.

HarryKNN21
May 28, 2013, 10:01 AM
Very idiotic thread IMHO, how could a person hold a 12.9" tablet comfortably in their hands and use it without falling it onto the ground?

I wondered, why doesn't that analyst call it iPad Hummer?

D.T.
May 28, 2013, 10:04 AM
Anybody care to do that math of what the PPI would be if the resolution stayed the same vs if Apple approached the standard "doubling" technicque (which of course really is 4x the pixels)?

Going to 4x the "base" iPad resolution [of 1024x768] would yield:

4096 x 3072

...and let's say it's 12.9", that a PPI of ~397 (plus it could be used for a 4K video editing interface :) )

I am sure this would have to come with and attachable key board or something like that if this is to target Ultrabooks....

Yeah, *if* they made something like this, and it became a "Pro" series intended to compete with ultra books, there's some OS things they'd need to do (not include a bunch of ports, or specifically even expose the filesystem, but some things that allow workflows more inline with desktop PCs)

Jessica Lares
May 28, 2013, 10:04 AM
This has to be the worst news post I have ever read here. I have to agree with MonkeySee.... that this wasn't even worth posting. They are losing site visitors big time every month according to their stats, and this is the kind of story that reeks of being posted just to get the traffic.

Jedi
May 28, 2013, 10:08 AM
Look we can all agree that iPad Maxi is just down right bad , kind of funny though.

I like iPad Pro , and that would be a good size too.

I would buy one no matter what they named it , because they are very handy to have one , but they do need a larger size.

Us older folks can appreciate the ease of a larger size , and hopefully with stereo speakers and a way to connect an external drive.

TB would go very nicely with an iPad Pro ;)

O__well , it will probably never happen , but if it did , I would buy one !

Surreal
May 28, 2013, 10:20 AM
If it ended up with the same weight as the ipad 4 or was somehow lighter, I would buy it. Music apps in general are nice on a touch screen but the ipad gets to feeling cramped.

RightMACatU
May 28, 2013, 10:21 AM
MaxiPads... now available for men :D

JayCee842
May 28, 2013, 10:24 AM
I love jokes like these! hahah :D

Moonjumper
May 28, 2013, 10:27 AM
If Apple were to make a larger iPad, then I think they would adopt a screen from the Macbook for ease and economy. So 12.9" doesn't make much sense unless there will be a Retina Macbook Air of that size (11" chassis with a smaller bezel, so a larger screen? That would be amazing).

otismotive77
May 28, 2013, 10:28 AM
i dont like the name but the idea is great, everyone would love a bigger ipad.

bedifferent
May 28, 2013, 10:36 AM
"iPad Maxi" Holds more with improved flow.

ArtOfWarfare
May 28, 2013, 10:49 AM
Gonna go out on a limb here: maybe Maxi was supposed to be Mac somehow?

An iPad Pro running iOS X?

jeffmetanna
May 28, 2013, 10:50 AM
I'm not sure about the name. But the bigger iPad is true. My brother works in one of the Apple suppliers and he told me about it early this year. I said the same thing most people here are saying, ********. But regardless of my 2 cents, the bigger iPad seems like the reality.

notjustjay
May 28, 2013, 10:54 AM
How about a bigger iPad Pro using Haswell (Core CPUs) running full touch-enabled OS X?

syriana
May 28, 2013, 10:56 AM
This rumors is surely made up on the ground of a gruber sentence (http://daringfireball.net/linked/2013/05/24/trucks-cars-and-vespas) last week:"I expect an iOS notebook eventually; I expect never to see a touchscreen MacBook"

cube
May 28, 2013, 11:01 AM
FTW!

This is what I really need.

But this year!

gmanist1000
May 28, 2013, 11:01 AM

It's all about that Ad revenue!

jdiamond
May 28, 2013, 11:02 AM
i dont like the name but the idea is great, everyone would love a bigger ipad.

Even before the iPad I wanted a 14" eReader, because that's the actual size of a sheet of paper, whereas the iPad is the size of half a sheet of paper. That's fine when you're reading a paper back book, but I tend to read columned material, technical journals, that kind of thing, and it's really, really nice to be able to see at least ONE full page at a time...

Then I could finally go paperless instead of carrying around heavy printouts all the time....

Sadly, Apple now seems to have a serious problem with volume. They used to be able to make a line that only 50,000 people would buy - now they seem to need millions of sales to justify it. And you know an iPad Pro would cost more, would push it into laptop price range. Which is still worth it to me, but not to a lot of folks...

SSDGUY
May 28, 2013, 11:12 AM
Time for another mad TV skit. I heard it will have a new "Light Day" cover, for those days when a normal cover is too bulky.

http://youtu.be/M7ln00zr_Jc

ThinkPin
May 28, 2013, 11:15 AM
I'm ready for a large iPad with a touchable Desktop OSX!

Rossatron
May 28, 2013, 11:21 AM
Apple is working on a new, larger iPad with a display measuring 12.9 inches diagonally, compared to the 9.7-inch display on the current full-size iPad. The larger iPad, which the site apparently in all seriousness says would be called "iPad Maxi", would launch in the first half of 2014 and be intended to target the ultrabook market as well as increase utility for digital textbooks.

This doesn't make any sense

guzhogi
May 28, 2013, 11:24 AM
For those who want a tablet that runs the full Mac OS X:
http://www.modbook.com

You're welcome.

James Craner
May 28, 2013, 11:34 AM
I know its MacRumors, but I think Arn's quality control person must have taken the day off today - Maxi iPad, as if Apple would be daft enough to call it that. Then again they did choose the name Mighty Mouse, so anything is possible.

szw-mapple fan
May 28, 2013, 11:35 AM
iPad Pro and iPad mini

Prediction: iPad Pro will slowly become obsolete and Apple will make no design changes and upgrades for more than 4 years…

topper24hours
May 28, 2013, 11:37 AM
and we were told " this is the optimum size tablet, we will not make a smaller one" by whom...... never say never.:p

Umm, by nobody... ever. Don't misquote the deceased.. it's super disrespectful.

Jibbajabba
May 28, 2013, 11:52 AM
I bet a lot of people would ditch their laptop for that.

People who do nothing but browsing and reading emails maybe. Unless I can install some custom applications, not gonna happen for a lot of people.

----------

Umm, by nobody... ever. Don't misquote the deceased.. it's super disrespectful.

Quote is close enough though.

http://allthingsd.com/20120705/the-7-inch-ipads-biggest-critic-steve-jobs/

Parasprite
May 28, 2013, 11:55 AM
Yeah, no. The idea of a larger iPad is arguably plausible but the name is ridiculously fake.

I vote for iPad Pro myself, although I am doubtful they will do it either way.

applecomputer76
May 28, 2013, 12:00 PM
Since the iPad is a post PC product, why is there so little discussion about a larger display size? Desktops run up to 27 inches with the iMac, so why stop at 9.7 inches with a tablet? I've been hoping for a size roughly double today's iPad at about 15 inches. Heavy desktop applications and productivity will never move to the iPad if it stays at 9.7". I'm talking about photo editing, CAD and maps, to name a few. Others have mentioned sheet music as another benefit. Today's original iPad is clearly to close to the iPad mini in size, but I'm convinced a larger iPad would actually sell better than the 9.7". A magazine is nice to read because it has a fold with two visible pages. It doesn't matter that you can't read both pages at once, it's the experience of having that content in front of you that's important. It's roughly the difference looking at maps on iPhone vs. iPad, which is worlds apart. A larger iPad would be very useful, so I hope Apple doesn't stop at 13". The iPad and mini are replacing notebooks. Time for a larger iPad to take a swing at desktops, with the iPad lying flat as a keyboard, not as a display.

guzhogi
May 28, 2013, 12:01 PM
Here's an idea: make one line of iOS devices. Comes in these sizes:
-3.5"
-5.5"
-7.5"
-9.5"
-11.5"
-13.5 (maybe)

And come with three configurations at each size:
-Wi-Fi only
-Wifi + Data
-Wifi + Data + Voice

Just merge the iPod Touch, iPhone & iPads into that line. Maybe call it an iTouch or whatever.

ghsNick
May 28, 2013, 12:01 PM
MaxiPad

/thread

guzhogi
May 28, 2013, 12:04 PM
Since the iPad is a post PC product, why is there so little discussion about a larger display size? Desktops run up to 27 inches with the iMac, so why stop at 9.7 inches with a tablet? I've been hoping for a size roughly double today's iPad at about 15 inches. Heavy desktop applications and productivity will never move to the iPad if it stays at 9.7". I'm talking about photo editing, CAD and maps, to name a few. Others have mentioned sheet music as another benefit. Today's original iPad is clearly to close to the iPad mini in size, but I'm convinced a larger iPad would actually sell better than the 9.7". A magazine is nice to read because it has a fold with two visible pages. It doesn't matter that you can't read both pages at once, it's the experience of having that content in front of you that's important. It's roughly the difference looking at maps on iPhone vs. iPad, which is worlds apart. A larger iPad would be very useful, so I hope Apple doesn't stop at 13". The iPad and mini are replacing notebooks. Time for a larger iPad to take a swing at desktops, with the iPad lying flat as a keyboard, not as a display.

Only thing is how would you hold a 27" iPad for extended periods of time and work with some stuff like keyboards? Apple could make a stand or something.

And while I know this isn't a tablet, it's pretty cool and might be worth integrating some of the same technology into a tablet:
http://www.wacom.com/en/products/pen-displays/cintiq/cintiq-24hd-touch

cclloyd
May 28, 2013, 12:14 PM
When I hear iPad Maxi I instantly think Maxi pad.

Bubba Satori
May 28, 2013, 12:14 PM
How about a bigger iPad Pro using Haswell (Core CPUs) running full touch-enabled OS X?

That would achooley be a computer that you could do work on.
Not gonna happen.

guzhogi
May 28, 2013, 12:27 PM
That would achooley be a computer that you could do work on.
Not gonna happen.

It already has happened (minus the Haswell part):
modbook.com

Mr.damien
May 28, 2013, 12:55 PM
Outside the ridiculous name, I think that Apple could almost fit a 12.9 inch screen on the current iPad size. The mac mini screen is not very small but his borders are.

Applying this and keeping the current iPad size could do it.

e-coli
May 28, 2013, 01:18 PM
I called this. Same screen proportion as the iPhone 5. It seems likely to me. Great for photographers on the go, assuming they get their absolutely terrible photo management figured out.

benny007
May 28, 2013, 03:00 PM
I always wanted a bigger iPAD. 15" would be great but will take a 12.9 one.

Imhotep397
May 28, 2013, 03:14 PM
This is a situation where it probably makes more sense to just expand the iMac line by one or two models (12.9" and maybe a 30"), design them some where along the lines of the 2002-2004 iMac, but allowing the wireless iPad to also be the display of the desktop unit.

How to elegantly attach and detach would be a challenge the hardware design department could really sink it's teeth into.

Chupa Chupa
May 28, 2013, 03:21 PM
How would it target the ultrabook segment if the high end iPad 10" already cost as much or more than an ultrabook? & didn't Ultrabooks crop up to compete with the Air anyway. If the 12" iPad is to compete with the ultrabooks now its completely meta.

WilliamLondon
May 28, 2013, 03:44 PM
Since the iPad is a post PC product, why is there so little discussion about a larger display size? ...

Yeah, personally, I don't think this would be such a ludicrous idea *today*. It would have been previously a stupid idea when a larger screen would have meant more weight (today's iPad seems to be about the maximum people want to deal with, and beyond what many prefer in weight), but with the technology that has gone into the mini, and the rumoured same "mini treatment" the full sized iPad is going to get later this year, an even larger screen with a thin chassis like that isn't such a stupid idea. It's not for me probably (I love my mini's form factor), but I can certainly see a thin larger screened iPad appealing to quite a few people, and it would be a gorgeous device (especially if they really can create a lovely form factor for that big screen).

I'm waiting to see the MacBooks start offering detachable screens that double as iPads. OS X plugged in, iOS detached - 11" - 13" - 15" versions.

macduke
May 28, 2013, 03:57 PM
That name will never work. Period! :D

However, that size could work in a "Pro" model. I think around 11.9" would be more successful than 12.9". This would be great for designers and artists. I'd get a 12" for work, and a Mini for home to throw on the couch. Done and done!

What kind of specs would an iPad Pro have? A larger battery could afford a more powerful processor. I'm thinking a quad-core A7 running between 1.6-1.8Ghz. The current iPad is a dual-core A6X running at 1.4Ghz and has a Geekbench of 1777. So a roughly 15% processor speed increase and double the cores could potentially result in a Geekbench around 4100. I mean, at that point you're talking a mid to late 2009 Macbook Pro or iMac in terms of power. You can do real work with those machines. Sure, they're slower compared to the quad-core i7s of today, but iOS has less overhead. Stick 2-4GB of ram in an iPad Pro and now you're talking. A pressure sensitive display would be icing on the cake. A USB port could also be useful for an advanced version of iOS.

Perhaps the iPad Pro would also run hybrid version of iOS and OS X. Think more like iOS on steroids, letting you do a little more in terms of multitasking, file management, customization with more advanced APIs, USB connectivity, etc. Still fully touch OS, but take advantage of that extra screen real estate to make more room for content and controls. That's one of the biggest problems with Photoshop Touch—it just feels cramped. How could I use that all day?

Of course this change in screen real-estate would make existing iPad apps not quite run very well on an iPad Pro. I could see it being a situation where it emulates the regular iPad app, blowing it up for the display (or keeping it same size in the center?), and the iPad Pro apps would be specialized for professional users. The apps would likely be more expensive, but higher quality versions for doing more advanced work.

But what would Apple use for the display? I've looked around, and from what I can tell (and aside from a custom-cut solution) there isn't really anything that fits the 1.33 aspect ratio, while also being 12-13", at a retina resolution similar to the current iPad. Although retina resolution would be slightly lower as the device would be held from a little further away, but still the Pro would likely have a higher resolution screen. I don't think a 16:9 (1.78) ratio makes much sense, but something in between like the Macbook Pro's 1.6 might work: 2560x1600. I believe this will keep the screen reasonably sharp while also maintaining a resolution that is realistic in a portable form factor.

So all of this being said, this is my somewhat-realistic but still a dream iPad Pro:

1.8Ghz Quad-Core A7X Geekbenching between 4500-5000
4GB Ram
64/128/256GB
LTE and GPS standard
2560x1600 display 11.9"
Pressure sensitive display which supports stylus for drawing
USB and/or SD card port
Advanced "iOSX" type OS that lets you do more than standard iOS
12 hour battery
1080p front camera

I wouldn't mind if they left out the rear camera.

$999 64GB
$1099 128GB
$1199 256GB

These prices would make a little more sense if the regular iPad lineup goes to 32/64/128GB standard at the current 16/32/64GB prices and just eliminates the 128GB price point.

What we'll LIKELY get in a Pro:

1.6Ghz Quad-core A7X Geekbenching 3500-4000
2GB ram
64/128GB
LTE and GPS cost extra
2560x1600 display 11.9"
Pressure sensitive
USB port
Same old iOS but maybe iOS 7 will have a few things the Pro could take advantage of, such as USB support for more devices
10 hour battery
1080p front camera / 8MP rear camera

$899 64GB / $1029 LTE+GPS
$999 128GB / $1129 LTE+GPS

I'm not really trying to predict anything, these are just some of my most recent thoughts on the matter. Is anyone else thinking something similar?

mabhatter
May 28, 2013, 04:13 PM

Sues "Sanitary Napkin" makers.... I'd think Apples PR is at least clever enough to catch that one. In no world outside the toiletries aisle does "max" and "pad" belong together... Surely there is done corporate name-checking software that includes this along with other words easily misspelled or misheard??

----------

Won't be happy until every Apple product is available in increments of 0.1" (at least).

That's the Samsung Galaxy Note Maxi Tab you are wanting!

Brittany246
May 28, 2013, 04:20 PM
Why has this "rumor" even been posted? It's clearly a joke.

mabhatter
May 28, 2013, 04:22 PM
This has to be the worst news post I have ever read here. I have to agree with MonkeySee.... that this wasn't even worth posting. They are losing site visitors big time every month according to their stats, and this is the kind of story that reeks of being posted just to get the traffic.

To be fair, Apple hasn't RELEASED any new products for SIX MONTHS. Software patches only go so far as "news". This is the side effect of locking down their leaks TOO WELL... They have killed all their possible over-hyped fans.

Overhyped fans are the lifeblood of the brand... They keep people TALKING ABOUT APPLE.. And the lack of rumors two weeks before an event is so bad there's nothing to talk about.

So lets talk about Xbox One and Surface rumors!!! Microsoft really needs some help!

Baklava
May 28, 2013, 04:31 PM
iPad MAXI. Starting at just $1.999.

snow755
May 28, 2013, 04:49 PM
iPad Maxi with 12.9-inch Display Rumored for Early 2014 (Updated)

Apple is expected to announce the next generation iPhone, iPad and iPad Mini in the coming months, but according to a recent rumor the Cupertino-based company may also be working on a massive 12.9-inch tablet likely called the iPad Maxi. The current iPad has a 9.7-inch display while the iPad mini has a smaller 7.9-inch screen.

According to ET News, Apple has been talking to Korean display suppliers and several other hardware manufacturers about getting the the components necessary to launch the iPad Maxi by early 2014. Apple’s newest and biggest tablet would target the 13-inch laptop market by offering comparable screen real estate and quality as well as improved battery life and portability.

The tablet market is already expected to overtake the notebook market by the end of this year, and a 13-inch tablet from Apple could make that happen even quicker.

Update: 9to5Mac has labeled the iPad Maxi the most “ridiculous rumor of the day,” and we’d have to agree with them. Besides the somewhat goofy name, Apple should think twice before moving into the 11-inch-plus tablet market based on IDC’s latest report.

from here

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/05/28/ipad-maxi-rumor-12-9-inch-display/

dazz87
May 28, 2013, 04:53 PM
inb4 people calling it Maxi Pad.........

Porco
May 28, 2013, 04:55 PM
I know it probably won't happen because it'd be a very PC-maker-like thing to do (read: copy), but a super-thin larger-screened iPad that doubled as a display for a MacBook Pro would could be amazing.

I can see use-cases for simply a larger iPad, but I wouldn't have thought it'd be a big enough niche for Apple to try to design a product for. This is the company that canned the 17-inch MacBook Pro after all.

Then again, maybe they're thinking almost any portable product can go up to 13-15 inches before sales drop off?!

Bear
May 28, 2013, 05:56 PM
The tough part about believing this rumor is Apple would have to introduce a new screen resolution for a larger iPad adding work for the developers.

If a larger iPad (13") didn't have a higher resolution, it would have a rather tiny market.

Peace
May 28, 2013, 06:05 PM
The tough part about believing this rumor is Apple would have to introduce a new screen resolution for a larger iPad adding work for the developers.

If a larger iPad (13") didn't have a higher resolution, it would have a rather tiny market.

Not to mention killing off it's own Macbook Air.

captain kaos
May 28, 2013, 06:08 PM
Seriously, is it April 1st?!

darngooddesign
May 28, 2013, 06:13 PM
Not to mention killing off it's own Macbook Air.

The iPad will not kill off a laptop.

ar3ar2
May 28, 2013, 06:15 PM
Even before the iPad I wanted a 14" eReader, because that's the actual size of a sheet of paper, whereas the iPad is the size of half a sheet of paper. That's fine when you're reading a paper back book, but I tend to read columned material, technical journals, that kind of thing, and it's really, really nice to be able to see at least ONE full page at a time...

Then I could finally go paperless instead of carrying around heavy printouts all the time....

Sadly, Apple now seems to have a serious problem with volume. They used to be able to make a line that only 50,000 people would buy - now they seem to need millions of sales to justify it. And you know an iPad Pro would cost more, would push it into laptop price range. Which is still worth it to me, but not to a lot of folks...

Yes this. If they're going to make a larger iPad it needs to be at least as big as a sheet of paper.

Shaun, UK
May 28, 2013, 06:34 PM
People who do nothing but browsing and reading emails maybe.

Isn't that precisely what most people use their computer at home for? Sure in work I would need a more powerful, flexible device - which is why I would use a desktop or laptop instead. But at home in the evening I mostly do email, web browsing, games, catch-up TV and maybe a little bit of word processing.

----------

Jeeeeez folks forget about the name! The important part of the story is the idea of a larger screen iPad. They'll come up with a clever name for it - they're not stupid.

If tablets are to replace laptops as the post-PC device of choice there will have to be larger screen models. Makes sense for Apple to position themselves in that marketplace.

neutrino23
May 28, 2013, 06:38 PM
I would probably get one. It would be useful for showing things to other people such as PDFs, Keynotes and photographs. Projectors are fine for groups of 3 or more. For one or two people a display works well.

This would also make it easier to create content.

JoEw
May 28, 2013, 06:44 PM

Macbook Air
Macbook Pro
iMac
Mac Pro
Mac Mini?

B...
May 28, 2013, 06:51 PM
Neeeever gonna happen.

~ Joey Tribbiani.

Hildegerd
May 28, 2013, 06:54 PM
I'm not sure about the name. But the bigger iPad is true. My brother works in one of the Apple suppliers and he told me about it early this year. I said the same thing most people here are saying, ********. But regardless of my 2 cents, the bigger iPad seems like the reality.

What more does this brother of yours say?

I have been asking myself the same Q and I believe the answer is that people believe in the hype that smaller tablets, the better. But I believe people are buying the minis because they are cheaper.

The 13" tablet from Toshiba from last year showed us that it could be done, and for professionals a 12.9" iPad would be a dream device.

gadget123
May 28, 2013, 06:55 PM
Funny how we are all expecting a slimmer, trimmer 9.7" model yet there's talk of a larger one.

It might happen yes but it won't be as popular as the mini or the full size one.

jonnyb098
May 28, 2013, 07:22 PM
This is the dumbest link bait crap of the day. I can't believe people are falling for this garbage. Use your brains please. This WILL NOT HAPPEN.

fullauto
May 28, 2013, 10:23 PM
Just split a 13" / 15" RMBP, add remaining components behind the screen, forward facing / dual stereo speakers, pressure sensitivity, portrait / landscape docking, micro sim, nfc, biometrics, good cameras front and back, 64/128GB.. ala iPad Pro. $999-$1299

:)

maxosx
May 28, 2013, 10:23 PM
Apple's set us up. There's no way to talk about this without being sexist if we use the name.... iPad Maxi.

Oh yeah, I know it's just a rumor but the way Apple's been doing things lately, they could end up making a blunder like this :D

dolphin842
May 28, 2013, 10:46 PM
13" iPad + pressure-sensitive stylus + fully functional Microsoft OneNote or equivalent = day one purchase. Unfortunately, I doubt the latter two will ever become true.

Haswell power consumption likely isn't low enough yet for Apple's needs for such a product, so going x86 would require Atom in the near-term. Broadwell may get there next year, however.

racoonboy
May 28, 2013, 10:55 PM
I think apple should spend more time trying to make tablet 9.7 believable again after they recked themselve with Ipad mini and gathered smaller margin to go along with smaller tablet.

tazz3
May 28, 2013, 10:58 PM
10 screen is plenty 13 inches is to large to hold

Mackan
May 29, 2013, 01:51 AM

Well, maybe for websurfing or email, as usual. Otherwise, an iPad, regardless of size is just too limited in functionality.

dampfnudel
May 29, 2013, 02:00 AM
Yeah, personally, I don't think this would be such a ludicrous idea *today*. It would have been previously a stupid idea when a larger screen would have meant more weight (today's iPad seems to be about the maximum people want to deal with, and beyond what many prefer in weight), but with the technology that has gone into the mini, and the rumoured same "mini treatment" the full sized iPad is going to get later this year, an even larger screen with a thin chassis like that isn't such a stupid idea. It's not for me probably (I love my mini's form factor), but I can certainly see a thin larger screened iPad appealing to quite a few people, and it would be a gorgeous device (especially if they really can create a lovely form factor for that big screen).

I'm waiting to see the MacBooks start offering detachable screens that double as iPads. OS X plugged in, iOS detached - 11" - 13" - 15" versions.

I think we're moving in the direction of a hybrid iPad/MacBook with iOS/OSX. Maybe as soon as next year.

Shaun, UK
May 29, 2013, 05:07 AM
Macbook Air
Macbook Pro
iMac
Mac Pro
Mac Mini?

Each of those is the product name - such as "Macbook Air". They don't then differentiate by screen size, otherwise the 11" model would be called the Macbook Air mini.

The iMac, Mac Pro and Mac mini are NOT three variants of the same product. They are three different products. The iPad and iPad mini are the same product with different screen sizes.

Personally I think the "mini" naming is just stupid and childish but hey that's just my view.

WilliamLondon
May 29, 2013, 05:16 AM

Previously, I believe you are right, but if they can make one that large as thin as the mini (or even thinner in the future), I'm not sure this would be necessarily true. If the weight were no more than today's iPad 4 and yet sported a larger screen, would the size be too unwieldy?? I'm not sure it would.

yusukeaoki
May 29, 2013, 05:39 AM
lol in 10 years, we would have like 10 different iPads.

maflynn
May 29, 2013, 05:40 AM
The iPad will not kill off a laptop.

While I don't think that a larger iPad is in the works, I will say tablets are killing off laptops. Not entirely, but the industry is seeing a slow down in the consumer segment and they're attributing that they're buying tablets instead of computers.

blitzer09x87
May 29, 2013, 08:09 AM
"ipad maxi", yeah right!
but the idea is great, people(including me) need bigger ipad, it'd be quite useful.
i hope this concept comes true.

MacDarcy
May 29, 2013, 09:30 AM
Not the Maxipad! No! Lol

Seriously tho, since tablet & smartphones seem to be overtaking pcs...this is not too far fetched a rumor.

TJ61
May 29, 2013, 09:31 AM

Nah, just keep it the same # of pixels as current iPad. Who's gonna notice or care if it's not retina?

:rolleyes:

retroneo
May 29, 2013, 07:36 PM
ETNews.com does not have a particularly solid track record regarding Apple rumors, and is not a frequent rumor source either. Previous incorrect reports have included...
More recently, the site claimed that fingerprint sensor firm AuthenTec had cut off its existing customer base (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/24/authentec-said-to-cut-off-non-apple-fingerprint-sensor-customers-in-2013/) after being acquired by Apple, a development that seems likely amid rumors of Apple deploying fingerprint technology on the iPhone 5S.

After being acquired by Apple, Authentec sold their sensor division to DigitalPersona.

http://authentec.com/Products/TouchChips/SensorsandModules.aspx

http://www.digitalpersona.com/Biometrics/Hardware-Products/TouchChip-Family/TouchChip-Family/

toke lahti
May 30, 2013, 05:01 AM
As long as this Maxi would have MATTE screen and internal place for pressure sensing stylus (Steve, RIP, but fingerpaints are not so popular among adults), I'd say yes.
Here's an idea: make one line of iOS devices. Comes in these sizes:
-3.5"
-5.5"
-7.5"
-9.5"
-11.5"
-13.5 (maybe)

And come with three configurations at each size:
-Wi-Fi only
-Wifi + Data
-Wifi + Data + Voice

Just merge the iPod Touch, iPhone & iPads into that line. Maybe call it an iTouch or whatever.
Nice streamlining.
I'd pick these sizes 3", 4", 5.5", 7.5", 10.5", 13.5".
Great idea!
Smaller flash storage on screen (tablet) and bigger Fusion drive.
Is paper sheet too big for you to hold? Or magazine?
Yep, you guessed right, it's about weight, not area.

dillybar
May 30, 2013, 09:19 AM
Seriously ...

Alcibar
May 30, 2013, 09:51 AM
I would buy this in a heart beat as my stay at home iPad. I would pay a substantial premium. Then retina mini as travel iPad. Now I am concerned regarding my planned iPad 5 purchase.

Hildegerd
May 30, 2013, 10:51 AM
I would buy this in a heart beat as my stay at home iPad. I would pay a substantial premium. Then retina mini as travel iPad. Now I am concerned regarding my planned iPad 5 purchase.

You will not have any trouble selling it, if you buy the 128G version.

DaveOuellette
May 31, 2013, 10:05 AM
"iPad Maxi" what will they come up with next

Crikey
Jun 4, 2013, 04:24 PM
They won't release any such thing, because it doesn't fit their aesthetic preferences for slim and small, and because to make meaningful use of the larger size, it would need a higher-resolution screen. Right now, iOS and its apps only need to support a few screen sizes: old iPhone/iPod touch, Retina iPhone/touch, iPhone 5, original iPad, and Retina iPad.

Too bad, because I would buy one immediately upon release -- even if it only offered an enlarged version of the existing Retina iPad screen resolution. I would be delighted with a larger screen for reading, maps, sheet music, and chord charts.

Only I'm not sure about the name "iPad Maxi". I'd vote for "iPad Magnum."

Barnett
Jun 10, 2013, 10:52 PM
Anyone notice what the Mac Pro announcement was missing today?

Anyone? Anyone?