PDA

View Full Version : Migration Assistant - Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion

colodane
May 28, 2013, 11:29 AM
My wife just got a new 2012 iMac with Mountain Lion. For setup, will the migration assistant work with her old iMac running Snow Leopard?

Thanks

justperry
May 28, 2013, 11:33 AM
Be careful with migration assistant, it can possibly create problems with settings.
I would only import Data and no settings.

colodane
May 28, 2013, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the advice about settings.

Another question: The old iMac has Parallels installed along with Windows. She doesn't want either on the new iMac. Is there an easy way to stop these applications from moving to the new iMac while allowing other applications to migrate?

Bear
May 28, 2013, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the advice about settings.

Another question: The old iMac has Parallels installed along with Windows. She doesn't want either on the new iMac. Is there an easy way to stop these applications from moving to the new iMac while allowing other applications to migrate?It sounds like your best bet is to just import user data and such, and then reinstall applications as wanted.

You will have to remove the data files associated with Paralllels, but that is quick.

netpositive
May 28, 2013, 01:04 PM
parallels is tricky
must be migrated from old mac
but deleted from new

Weaselboy
May 28, 2013, 02:46 PM
My wife just got a new 2012 iMac with Mountain Lion. For setup, will the migration assistant work with her old iMac running Snow Leopard?

Thanks

Migration Assistant will work fine from SL to ML. Just delete the Parallels VM from the old machine before you do the migration. You might want to give this (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4889) a look also.

colodane
May 28, 2013, 03:51 PM
Thanks, Weaselboy and others for the advice.

Machine should arrive today and will give it a go in the next day or so.