PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook G4 ate 256 mb ram!

skylar
Nov 1, 2005, 01:13 AM
I have the Powerbook G4 (not the brand new one) 15". It came with 512 mb ram so after weeks of sluggish applications, I decided to upgrade. I bought a 1 gb crucial ram (same everything as the one thats in there). It now says, however that I have 1.25 GB ram, not 1.5 GB ram. It also says there is 2 sticks: 256 MB and 1 GB. Why does it think my original is now 256 and not 512? Where did the extra 256 go?:eek:

mad jew
Nov 1, 2005, 01:14 AM
Did you replace a 256MB chip to put your 1GB chip in? :)

stoid
Nov 1, 2005, 01:17 AM
I've had this happen to RAM before. There is a bridge that ties together the 256MB on one side of the chip to the 256 MB on the back of the chip. When this bridge fails, the chip will only read at half of it's capacity. Call Apple, they should give you a free replacement.

ReanimationLP
Nov 1, 2005, 01:35 AM
I've had this happen to RAM before. There is a bridge that ties together the 256MB on one side of the chip to the 256 MB on the back of the chip. When this bridge fails, the chip will only read at half of it's capacity. Call Apple, they should give you a free replacement.

Call Apple.

They'll replace it, even if your machines out of warranty, since the RAM has a lifetime warranty on it via Apple and the memory manufactuer.

This doesnt happen often, but its a bite when it does. o.o

skylar
Nov 1, 2005, 02:49 PM
Thanks!

I called apple...

Apple: Call London Drugs, they are the reseller.
Me: But the lifetime warranty is with you.
Apple: Yes, but call London Drugs.
Me: What are they going to do about it?
Apple: I can't tell you that.

London Drugs: Call Apple.
Me: I did, they said to call you because you are the reseller.
London Drugs: What? They told you to call us? Thats weird. The warranty is with them.

I'll get this figured out somehow I guess:confused:

grapes911
Nov 1, 2005, 02:56 PM
Thanks!

I called apple...

Apple: Call London Drugs, they are the reseller.
Me: But the lifetime warranty is with you.
Apple: Yes, but call London Drugs.
Me: What are they going to do about it?
Apple: I can't tell you that.

London Drugs: Call Apple.
Me: I did, they said to call you because you are the reseller.
London Drugs: What? They told you to call us? Thats weird. The warranty is with them.

I'll get this figured out somehow I guess:confused:
Do you have 3-way calling? Put them on the phone together. Or have one call the other.