Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2005
London
Hello people,
something of a hypothetical question. Over the weekend i managed to tip a glass of water over my powerbook and it has now ceased to function. Thankfully i'm covered and it is going off for repair today but i have been warned that if the cost of repair is prohibitive then i'll be sent vouchers to get an equivalent model. I want to be sure that if this is the case I can argue that I should be entitled to a new powerbook as opposed to an iBook that would have better specifications than my current model.

I have powerbook 1Ghz 12" with airport installed and bluetooth, what i need are a list of things that my powerbook does that the current iBook doesn't - i prefer the look of the powerbook but i'm not sure that they'd go for the aesthetic arguement alone.

All input is appreciated.

Thanks

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Do you still have the original receipt for your PowerBook by any chance?

I don't understand why they should replace a PowerBook with an iBook.... that's not the 'equivalent' at all.

If the warranty/insurance company/whoever it is you're arranging this through don't agree to cover the full cost of the PB then have a look at the UK refurb store (open on Wed). Last time I looked there were some very good deals to be had on PowerBooks.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
dietcokevanilla said:
I don't understand why they should replace a PowerBook with an iBook.... that's not the 'equivalent' at all.

You are absolutely right, but it seems like some sort of punishment premium is being imposed because of the act that gave rise to the need for the replacement. We all know regrettable things happen, but I would not get within 20 feet of a computer with any open liquid in my hand. Good luck as you get this problem resolved.

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
jimN said:
Hello people,
something of a hypothetical question. Over the weekend i managed to tip a glass of water over my powerbook and it has now ceased to function. Thankfully i'm covered and it is going off for repair today but i have been warned that if the cost of repair is prohibitive then i'll be sent vouchers to get an equivalent model. I want to be sure that if this is the case I can argue that I should be entitled to a new powerbook as opposed to an iBook that would have better specifications than my current model.

I have powerbook 1Ghz 12" with airport installed and bluetooth, what i need are a list of things that my powerbook does that the current iBook doesn't - i prefer the look of the powerbook but i'm not sure that they'd go for the aesthetic arguement alone.

All input is appreciated.

Thanks
I don't think you need to worry. Most insurance companies will replace an item with the current version of the model. So you should end up with a new Powerbook.

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2005
London
Thanks for your replies. The screen spanning and closed operation were all that i could think of although i did wonder about hard drive speeds.

At present i'm waiting for the computer to be collected and then they'll try to repair it, all that has been said is that if the cost of repair seems very high then i'll be given vouchers to purchase an equivalent replacement. Now the example i was given appeared to refer to PCs where things have obviously moved on a lot, but could you objectively claim that a current iBook is an 'equivalent' to a powerbook from January 04 - it is hard to say.

I'm normally very careful with liquids and my computer. However, i put it down by my bed and then managed to knock a glass of water off my bedside table in the night - the apple was off the floor and about half a meter away but it evidently took quite a dousing!

Still at least it is covered - and i thought that 500 pounds was a lot at the time!

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
The 12" powerbook has a superdrive, but 12" ibook only a combo. Ibook can only do video mirroring as said before and missing a sound input.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I have the same PB, and all I can think of is Audio-in, its screen spanning ability, and the "orgasmic" factor of the PowerBook.

But I wouldn't worry. Usually "equivalent" means same product line, and similar in price. If you bought a 12" PB with Combo drive, I think that's what you'd be getting back in return.

And your insurance costs 500 quid? I can't believe you agreed to pay that! :eek:

I put my 12" PB under my parents' Home Owners insurance, and now my parents pay an extra $20 Canuck dollars every year for full coverage of my PB from accidents, theft, armageddon, etc. That's around 0.00003 quid every year.

The insurance even applies when my laptop isn't at home, which is the point, I guess. I'm in another country as well......forgot to check if I'm covered overseas, but I'll just do something dodgy if they don't cover me after an accident.

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2005
London
it's one of those extended warranty sort of things. Normally i steer well clear but i think that i decided to take this one as i was getting a credit agreement so it didn't see too bad to have it added in. Glad i took it now as we have yet to sort our home contents out.

The guys on the phone seem to expect people to play the system - i could have sworn the first person i spoke to was virtually encouraging me to drop the thing just to put it beyond hope. At any rate i'm glad i finally got round to buying that back-up drive!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.