Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimmieboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2005
Australia
Hey everyone. I'm thinking of getting an ipod but i dont want one of the 30GB ones. I was waonderring whats better the nano or shufffle? I now most will saythe nano but is it really that good? I like to go jogging so I'd bneed a good case for it and I dont want it to break. Also I've heard abut it scractching and the screens breaking. So whats the 411 guys?

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
I bought a Shuffle because it was cheaper, I needed a flash drive without having to carry another cord around, and I just wanted some simple music playing while walking around campus, driving, or riding my bike. I just toss it in my pocket and go wherever. Not too worried about scratches or anything, so I don't have to baby it all the time. It's all about the functionality for me with it.

Just ask what your needs and expectations are.

Helmut Kool

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2003
I have a 512 MB shuffle and never have had another iPod. I have to agree that Shuffle is really convenient. You can have it with you all the time. It weights almost nothing and fits in any pocket. You can drop it on the floor and smash it around without being scared of broken screens or anything. Also it is quite easy to push skip and volume buttons while it's in your pocket (probably more difficult with other iPods).

512 MB version's 6-8 hours of music is usually enough for one day and the battery has never ran out. But I'd recommend the 1-gig version because it's almost as cheap now.

The downside of Shuffle is naturally the fact that you have to pretty much decide what music you want to listen before leaving your computer. If you like to listen random music this is not a problem.

I think that I would use a larger iPod less than the Shuffle because of the extra care it would require.

Ashapalan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
England
The shuffle and nano both use flash drives, and so you can excerise both of them without worrying about damage to that and music skipping.

The shuffle however has less to go wrong with it, you won't find yourself pulling it out of your pocket to find a cracked screen, and it also has more scratch resistance.

The end all is that the shuffle is stronger than the nano, and so you dont have to worry as much about looking after it, you really can forget it's there. That said, the nano holds more songs which can be accessed with a screen. Plus the nano has more features therefore.

If you would like to be able to choose your music wherever you are, you need the nano, but if you just want a device you can fill with music in the morning and then throw it into your bag without worrying too much to damage, get the shuffle.

tomflix52

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2005
the nano is a joke it is wayyyyyyyyyy to small and there is basicly no use for the screen because the screen is so small and the shuffle is to boring i have a ipod mini, i would recommend buying a mini from a refurbishing site

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
tomflix52 said:
the nano is a joke it is wayyyyyyyyyy to small and there is basicly no use for the screen because the screen is so small and the shuffle is to boring i have a ipod mini, i would recommend buying a mini from a refurbishing site
Wow! I'd take the nano over the mini in a heartbeat. It is not way to small. The main selling point is that a spinning hard drive cannot not compare to flash based storage. Flash is better in pretty much every possible area.

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
I can't believe these posts. The NANO is unbelievable. I took mine back to get the 60gb video but I was in love with it. That said, get the 30gb video, it beats them all to hell.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
MacTruck said:
I can't believe these posts. The NANO is unbelievable. I took mine back to get the 60gb video but I was in love with it. That said, get the 30gb video, it beats them all to hell.
Thank God. Another voice of reason. I was starting to get lonely. :p

snowmoon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Albany, NY
I don't have a shuffle or nano, but with some of the "Smart Playlist" features it's quite easy to load up either with more than enough music to keep you busy. I think what it comes down to is... do you want to be able to load up several playlists or do you just listen to a mix of all of your music? Just a mix = shuffle, control = nano.

The feature that I was mentioning is being able to take your playlists and make "small" versions of them by making a smart playlist with the main playlist as the first condtion and the posibly slap a "My Rating" on top of that and limit to say 950mb of songs sorted by last played.

Cheers

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
the nano is wonderfull, function just like the full size hard drive ipods. You might want to take care when handling it but thats the price you pay for something lovelyful like the nano.

nano hands down although the shuffle is nice.

bless

iDM

macrumors 6502a
I am pretty disappointed with my shuffle. It does not randomize well, and the responsiveness of the buttons is not very good. Size wise it's amazing, but not having the ability to select your music will really effect you if you have wide music tastes. I have Marvin Gaye, Aphex Twin, Rage Against the Machine, Fiona Apple and Led Zeppelin on my ipod in addition to many more, therefore when i go to the gym any of those artists may come on, which really kills the mood. It would be one thing if i only listened to rock or electronic but when Bulls on the Parade follows, "i heard it to the Grapevine," no matter how much Apple tells you the shuffle always manages to pick the exact song you wanna hear, that is dead wrong. I just bought another ipod so i will fill my shuffle with rock, rap, and hip-hop and it will only make the journey out while im at the gym or going biking/snowboarding but besides that i wanna be able to select my music for the day. So if you have varying tastes and think you will be listening to a wide variety of music then you may want the nano. Pick depending on your usuage but do not think that having a varying mix of music will lead to you being happy with the song the shuffle picks, if you don't mind clicking next song often then go for it, but i kinda like knowing the next song in a playlist or at leat knowing the music is going to be from the same century, decade, era, or genre. Good Luck!

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
If this is going to be your main iPod (ie your only iPod) then go with the nano. Think about it, you're going to want to, at one time or another, find a certain song to play.

On the other hand, I already have a 30gig iPod for my main music collection and I think the shuffle would be a better secondary iPod for walking the dog, listening to podcasts, skiing, etc. But for longer trips (vacations, plane, car, etc) im going to want access to my entire collection.

What I'm really waiting for is a bluetooth shuffle with bluetooth ear buds. Just put it somewhere next to you're computer and it auto syncs, then throw it in the bottom of your bag and put in wireless buds! Sweeet.

BTW, you can fix the problem above by just autofilling from a certain playlist or putting your workout songs on top (in a random order if you want) and playing as a loop.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
tomflix52 said:

Haha, I just went back and read this. You would really rather have a thicker, non-color, hd based, heavier mini over a nano?!? Hmm, buyer's remorse?

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
FrankieTDouglas said:
I bought a Shuffle because it was cheaper, I needed a flash drive without having to carry another cord around....

DITTO. It really depends what you need it for vs. cash available.

I already have a 2 year old 60Gb Zen Xtra for the car, for 45Gb of music we have. I felt that choosing 512Mb of music for a day or two's listening, would be just as tricky as 4Gb's worth. I'm bound to miss out on a tune or two. The 1Gb just allows for a greater range of music or some extra room for data files.

tomflix52

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2005
Jay42 said:
Haha, I just went back and read this. You would really rather have a thicker, non-color, hd based, heavier mini over a nano?!? Hmm, buyer's remorse?
im serious! the nano is just to small i got the chance to try my friends out, and i was walking around every once in a while i had to check if it was still in my pocket (the mini is just big enough to tell) plus the mini is cheaper and holds more

MmmPancakes

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2005
Austin, TX
The Shuffle absolutely rocks. You don't have to treat it like a (flawed) museum piece everywhere you go. I highly recommend the 1gb, either refurb from Apple, or on e-Bay.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I have a 1GB Shuffle and I like it a lot.

Personally I would have gotten an iPod Mini (I bought my Shuffle when they first came out), but for the money the Shuffle is great.

The Nano is "better", but the Shuffle is more rugged and cheaper.

If you can afford one go for the full-blown 60GB iPod video - it's the best.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
tomflix52 said:
im serious! the nano is just to small i got the chance to try my friends out, and i was walking around every once in a while i had to check if it was still in my pocket (the mini is just big enough to tell) plus the mini is cheaper and holds more
I don't know about you... but most of the runners/joggers/walkers I know don't wear clothing w/ pockets. I wear my nano in its armband so the size doesn't impact me.

As others have mentioned, I like the ability to choose a song or in my case, a play list. Sometimes I feel like a higher intensity workout-- harder music playlist, other days I feel like a chill leisurely walk-- enter more mellow playlist.

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I'm glad to see a lot of people mentioning shuffles here. Everyone bashes the no-screen thing, but for exercising, it's perfect. Nothing to worry about breaking, small, and cheap. I like it.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Jay42 said:
If this is going to be your main iPod (ie your only iPod) then go with the nano. Think about it, you're going to want to, at one time or another, find a certain song to play.

I second this. I have a shuffle and a mini. Even though I use my shuffle a lot more (running and at the gym), the mini (and the nano even more so) *could* fulfill the same role, albeit less conveniently. On the other hand, at all times except when working out, I really like to be able to pick songs, and the shuffle would drive me crazy.

I also agree with the poster who said that you really don't have to worry about the shuffle. Mine is scratched and scuffed to hell, and I couldn't care less; it's just functional. But I try to keep my mini immaculate.

As for the poster who was worried about hearing the wrong kind of music while working out with a shuffle - sure, that's why you just fill it with your favorite workout music, or rotate your workout music. And if you're going to use it at another time, just autofill another playlist. It's intended to be constantly refilled because of its small capacity anyway...

There's no such thing as a "best" ipod. Even at the same price, I'd rather have a nano than a video ipod because I would never *ever* watch videos, and my itunes library is 3.5 gigs, so the nano is perfect while the video ipod would be heavier and bulkier with absolutely no advantage - but that's just because of my particular uses.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
MmmPancakes said:
The Shuffle absolutely rocks. You don't have to treat it like a (flawed) museum piece everywhere you go. I highly recommend the 1gb, either refurb from Apple, or on e-Bay.
I also agree despite owning both a 3G 30Gig iPod and a new iPod nano. I have the 1GB shuffle whose battery life is 12+ hours and still has the very best sound quality of all the iPods with the possible exception of the new 5G iPod (video) simply because I have not heard it and Jobs' touted its audio performance.

In any event, for sheer musical listening pleasure, my iPod shuffle is tops. It's just that much better to my ears than any other iPod I have.

(Incidentally, my 4GB nano has an audio distortion problem. I'll have to get it checked and possibly replaced.)

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
Jay42 said:
more like denial

lucas

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2005
Australia
tomflix52 said:
im serious! the nano is just to small i got the chance to try my friends out, and i was walking around every once in a while i had to check if it was still in my pocket
the music coming from the headphones werent a giveaway?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.