Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006

IHailPhilly

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2013
I really enjoy mine, it serves up the great iTunes library to the house, flawlessly along with Netflix, Hulu plus, and MLB TV! :apple:

MarkG21

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2010
What exactly is amazing about it?

For me it effectively replaced my bluray and dvd player. While, I will always watch a movie on blu ray the first go around, successive viewings are likely to be done on the Apple TV as I make digital copies my self or redeem the digital copy. I've got 285 digital copies of blu ray or itunes digital copy movies. Sure its a drop in quality, but it still is good for repeat viewings. Also, I'm a person who just like to watch parts of movies and going to movie to movie through the Apple TV is way to easy and impracticable for a blu ray movie since it takes about 5 minutes to get to the movie after skipping through trailers and warnings.

I also like watching my favorite TV shows too, thought I dont have as many because I will never ditch DirecTV.

Thats just me though. Its very good to me for the way I use it. I use it daily.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
For me it effectively replaced my bluray and dvd player. While, I will always watch a movie on blu ray the first go around, successive viewings are likely to be done on the Apple TV as I make digital copies my self or redeem the digital copy. I've got 285 digital copies of blu ray or itunes digital copy movies. Sure its a drop in quality, but it still is good for repeat viewings. Also, I'm a person who just like to watch parts of movies and going to movie to movie through the Apple TV is way to easy and impracticable for a blu ray movie since it takes about 5 minutes to get to the movie after skipping through trailers and warnings.

I also like watching my favorite TV shows too, thought I dont have as many because I will never ditch DirecTV.

Thats just me though. Its very good to me for the way I use it. I use it daily.

The question was "What is amazing about AppleTV sales accelerating?" not "What is amazing about the AppleTV?" I am well aware of the feature set that the AppleTV has.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
in my opinion the only amazing thing about Apple TV is AirPlay, I wonder how many would buy it without that feature.
But I think Google tv is superior.

Last edited:

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
On my opinion the only amazing thing about Apple TV is AirPlay, I wonder how many would buy it without that feature.
But IMO Google tv is superior.

Whilst I won't say I haven't used it, it's just an extra feature for me. Not a deal breaker. Have owned all gens of the ATV, and really, would prefer it over a cable box any day.

As for alternatives, can't comment. To happy with the ATV and itunes streaming to bother trying them.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
What exactly is amazing about it?

I guess some are more easily amazed than others. I have the first and second generation AppleTVs and still don't see how this is amazing.

What's interesting but not amazing to me, is that according to Fortune, the AppleTV is over 13 million while Roku is over 5 million.

I've owned two different WDTV boxes and wonder how many they sold? Probably less than a million on the earlier models.

I assumed that Roku was doing better than the AppleTV. I own both and for tech savvy people the Plex on Roku is a bonus.

For regular people, if you have Amazon Prime, Roku might be better, but if you have purchased content on the iTunes Store, and iOS devices, the AppleTV may be better.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
in my opinion the only amazing thing about Apple TV is AirPlay, I wonder how many would buy it without that feature.
But I think Google tv is superior.
I don't have a Mac that can Airplay. As a matter of fact, I bought it before AirPlay was released. So AirPlay had no influence on my purchase. And I would buy it again tomorrow...without AirPlay. I have to admit, I would like to have a MBP that could AirPlay however. :(

----------

What's interesting but not amazing to me, is that according to Fortune, the AppleTV is over 13 million while Roku is over 5 million.

I've owned two different WDTV boxes and wonder how many they sold? Probably less than a million on the earlier models.

I assumed that Roku was doing better than the AppleTV. I own both and for tech savvy people the Plex on Roku is a bonus.

For regular people, if you have Amazon Prime, Roku might be better, but if you have purchased content on the iTunes Store, and iOS devices, the AppleTV may be better.
Having both Roku and aTV is great for you technical weinies. But I have the wife factor to consider. I am still trying to teach her how to switch sources on the TV/AVR to get to the aTV. No way I could get her to use another box and learn a different menu system for movies (Plex);) It's easier for me to just transcode everything and keep it simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.