Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While talking with AllThingD's Kara Swisher and Walt Mossberg at D11: All Things Digital, Apple CEO Tim Cook announced that Apple has hired former Environmental Protection Agency chief Lisa Jackson to lead the company's environmental responsibility efforts.
Lisa Jackson is joining Apple. Lisa was running the EPA for the last four years. She's going to be coordinating a lot of this activity across the company.
Although Cook said he forgot what her official title is, he said that she would report directly to him. Cook announced the hire after talking about how Apple has gotten more attention from governments as it has grown larger and while he was talking about how environmentally friendly Apple is.

apple_100_renewable.jpg
As a part of its commitment to being environmentally friendly, Apple revealed in March that it had achieved 100% renewable energy use at its data centers, with its corporate facilities using 75% renewable energy. Cook's full commentary can be found in our coverage, available here.

Article Link: Apple Hires Former EPA Chief Lisa Jackson to Oversee Environmental Efforts

xionxiox

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Hell
This article has been up for a while and not a single comment. People only care about drama, not this so called "Environment" :rolleyes:

Ichabod.

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
Interesting hire. I guess this should help Apple fortify its image as Environmentally conscious; hopefully not to a fault.

Equitek

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2011
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Love to hear your thoughts...

Hopefully she´ll be more concerned with actively reducing apple´s impact rather than just making apple look like they´re more eco-friendly.

How do you feel Apple could best do this? And how do you think they compare to Microsoft and Dell (a mainly software company, and a mainly hardware one)?

Mebsat

macrumors regular
May 19, 2003
Florida
At what cost?

At best, a questionable hire with significant PR risk for Apple:

-Jackson created false identities (non-government email accounts) while Secretary of the EPA to carry on communications with outside groups. Some presume this was to avoid discoverability and/or compliance with the Freedom of Information Act. She abruptly resigned as Secretary of the EPA just as this investigation was getting started. This was not just using personally identifiable non-government accounts, but creating false identities to conduct official business (one name used was Richard Windsor).

-She also oversaw the EPA during the contentious raids on Gibson Guitars, where EPA regulations were selectively used to confiscate $5M worth of inventory from Gibson (while other guitar companies using the same wood had no action taken against them). This incident is being reexamined in the light of the current IRS scandals and evidence of political targeting by the IRS (Gibson's CEO is a donor to right-wing causes).

-Apple is already an industry leader in the area of environmental responsibility in manufacturing. Hiring a lifelong government employee is not likely going to bring a significant skill set beyond what Apple already has in house. It has the feel of a hire made to generate buzz. Hopefully, for Apple, none of the issues above will turn into full blown scandals, but if they do, Apple will find itself cast on one side of the ideological fence (something SJ always wisely avoided).

-Her compensation package will need to be justified to shareholders.

-This makes Cook look even more impulsive regarding high-level hires than he already did in light of the Browett decision. Not confidence inspiring.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Hopefully she´ll be more concerned with actively reducing apple´s impact rather than just making apple look like they´re more eco-friendly.

That's what Apple has been doing for many, many years. This whole "looking eco-friendly" thing only start when Greenpeace started judging companies by their press releases and promises instead of their actions, and companies that promised to something eventually some time in the future got much better ratings than Apple who did the same thing years ago without telling anyone.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I give Apple a lot of credit for demonstrating that a tech company can go green without going "red". Using aluminum, mercury and arsenic free glass, pushing LED LCD panels early on, recycling their products and other tech products, self-sustaining server plants, etc. Plastic is awful, it requires more energy to recycle plastic, negating any positives it may produce which is why so many eco-conscious people refuse to use it. A man in Japan invented a machine that can take any plastic material, any, and break it down into reusable oil, etc. The machine uses less energy than a light bulb. It's amazing. I've posted this once before, and highly recommend watching, if for nothing more than the common love of tech we all have.

Plastic to Oil Fantastic OW2.0

I just thought, imagine taking all that plastic and converting it back into oil? Imagine, cleaning up the oceans, while producing a huge source of energy?

E-waste is a major issue in our modern tech lead lives. With plastic islands the size of Texas and three-five feet down in the north-pacific and Indian oceans, combined with electronic waste dumps spewing chemicals onto the beaches of third world nations, and on and on, It's imperative we take responsibility for the only place we call home.

An architecture firm is working on a project to build onto the plastic islands. A daunting project, while perhaps a dream is one of the few proposed projects in dealing with our waste.

Whim Architects Launch Kickstarter Campaign to Build Self-Sustaining Island Homes from Pacific Plastic Garbage

Attachments

• guiyu-ewaste.jpg
    guiyu-ewaste.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 213
  • Recycled-Island-Whim-Architects-2.jpg
    Recycled-Island-Whim-Architects-2.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 2,756
Last edited:

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Good move Apple. This is good news.

I hope that Apple becomes a true leader in environmental responsibility among large corporations.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
So will she use her apple.com e-mail address, or create another fake gmail.com address to use?

I never knew about this "scandal". What exactly did she do with those fake profiles? Have to google this, I'm very curious.

Thank god it's not Gale Norton (her "Spotted Owl Cookbook" was the toast of town). The damage done under her reign during GWB's presidency will take decades to reverse. It was tantamount to placing an Exxon executive in her position.

You have to wonder about the GOP when Christine Todd Whitman, EPA administrator under President George W. Bush, calls out the Republicans decision to boycott a planned committee vote for Pres. Obama's nominee Gina McCarthy.

“They looked like sore losers when they walked out the way they did,” Whitman said of the decision last week by Republicans on the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee to not attend the planned confirmation vote of Gina McCarthy to head EPA. “I do give them credit for having a broader strategy than just that. They are trying to paint a portrait, but I don’t see walking out like that as a successful way of doing it.”

Source:

Bush-Era EPA Chief Calls Republicans ‘Sore Losers’

Gee, couldn't have anything to do with McCarthy's stance against big oil and push for alternative energy such as hydrogen or biofuel? Nah, couldn't be.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
I never knew about this "scandal". What exactly did she do with those fake profiles? Have to google this, I'm very curious.
She used Gmail accounts with fake names (e.g., "Richard Windsor") to communicate with environmentalist groups about EPA policies and actions. Essentially, it was a way for her to coordinate with them "off the record", since FOIA requests wouldn't cover Gmail accounts.

Crap like this is why all Federal systems need to be blocked from accessing third-party e-mail systems -- there is no reason EVER why any Federal employee needs to have access to Gmail, Outlook.com, Me.com, or any other external e-mail system. Any employee caught using such a system (on their phone or tablet) for anything at all related to work should be terminated on the spot.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
She used Gmail accounts with fake names (e.g., "Richard Windsor") to communicate with environmentalist groups about EPA policies and actions. Essentially, it was a way for her to coordinate with them "off the record", since FOIA requests wouldn't cover Gmail accounts.

Crap like this is why all Federal systems need to be blocked from accessing third-party e-mail systems -- there is no reason EVER why any Federal employee needs to have access to Gmail, Outlook.com, Me.com, or any other external e-mail system. Any employee caught using such a system (on their phone or tablet) for anything at all related to work should be terminated on the spot.

Agree with you on the last point. However, it could have been worse, she could have been communicating with oil lobbyists and the like. Least she was doing something to help improve the environment. :eek:

----------

I hope this means the end of throwaway hardware.

Oh how I wish. :)

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Interesting hire. I guess this should help Apple fortify its image as Environmentally conscious; hopefully not to a fault.
Coming from her government position is a clue that Apple is snuggling up, and likely ready to give up our info anytime POTUS wants more people to target. However that's nothing new as Apple is well known for their secrecy.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Coming from her government position is a clue that Apple is snuggling up, and likely ready to give up our info anytime POTUS wants more people to target. However that's nothing new as Apple is well known for their secrecy.

- Changed due to misreading the playful/sarcastic nature of the comment. Things are getting heated up in here! :p

Last edited:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I hope this means the end of throwaway hardware.

I never throwaway a good iCake:

images

Seriously, every consumer device becomes obsolete. It's stilly to think hardware isn't disposable because we don't live in a time vacuum where nothing ever advances. When something becomes useless to anyone its disposed of. But that doesn't mean it ends up in a landfill. More electronic device parts are recyclable now than at any point in history and more people are recycling devices too, either by choice or law.

----------

impulsive regarding high-level hires than he already did in light of the Browett decision. Not confidence inspiring.

You raise solid points. Ultimately, I think Apple hired her for the same reason it put Al Gore on the board... connections.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Soldered RAM = throwaway
No storage expansion = throwaway
Integrated battery = throwaway
Glued components = throwaway
Under-specified = throwaway
Abandonware = throwaway

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.