Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage12.png
Twitter has updated its official iOS app, adding a streamlined posting process that previews tweets before they are published, as well as a wider timeline that makes better use of the iPhone's screen real estate.

On the official Twitter blog, the company boasts that photos can be tweeted in the new app in under six seconds.
Photos: When you add a photo to your Tweet, you'll see a full preview of your photo, not just the cropped version. We've also redesigned the experience to make it easy to share a photo from your camera roll: simply click the photo icon on the bottom right corner of the Tweet box. With fewer steps needed to share photos, you can more easily share what's going on in your life and quickly return to marveling over that gorgeous sunset.

Accounts: When you compose a Tweet, you'll see your avatar and username, giving you a better sense of how your Tweet will actually appear. If you tweet from multiple accounts, it's now easier to select the account you want to use by simply tapping on your avatar.
Twitter for iOS is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Twitter for iOS Update Brings Improved Tweet Composer and Wider Timeline

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
things I'd like to see

1. ability to see mentions and posts for folks you follow together based on date/time. not necessarily in your main timeline (although that would be cool for conversations at least) but when you select them.

2. ability to have private comments even if your profile is in general public. So like you can post something just to followers without having to take the whole thing private

3. either increase the tweet length (something app.net has done) or built support into system for things like twitlonger so if you go over it prompts you to either cut back or use TL. and let us see them without having to go to a webpage etc. I think many folks would happily pay say $20 a year for such a service if Twitter bought it and built it in. Perhaps it could be a Twitter Pro and would also include killing sponsored posts from using your name or appearing in your timeline.

Eminemdrdre00

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
I'll continue to use TweetBot until the official app syncs my timeline between my iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Good to see them getting rid of the stupid vertical borders.

Now just crush the information back vertically too, but DMs back on the bottom menu where they belong (and are on the OSX app), change how account switching works and get rid of the stupid blue bar that used to show the account name so it was actually useful and we'll have a Twitter app that's nearly as good as the one three versions ago.

mctape

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2009
things I'd like to see

1. ability to see mentions and posts for folks you follow together based on date/time. not necessarily in your main timeline (although that would be cool for conversations at least) but when you select them.

2. ability to have private comments even if your profile is in general public. So like you can post something just to followers without having to take the whole thing private

3. either increase the tweet length (something app.net has done) or built support into system for things like twitlonger so if you go over it prompts you to either cut back or use TL. and let us see them without having to go to a webpage etc. I think many folks would happily pay say $20 a year for such a service if Twitter bought it and built it in. Perhaps it could be a Twitter Pro and would also include killing sponsored posts from using your name or appearing in your timeline.

I don't really understand what you're getting at with #1.

#2 is never going to happen on twitter as it's sort of not the point. Twitter was designed to be very simple in this regard: you can follow people, or not; you can be followed, or not. There is no (and there's not going to be any) "well, this tweet I want to be totally public, and this one I just want to go to these 20 people, and this one only to my followers" functionally. If you want to send specific posts only to specific people/friends/followers/whatever, Google+ does that.

As for increasing tweet length, that would kill the ability to tweet via SMS, which is how twitter started and believe it or not is a thing that people still actually do. Aside from the SMS issue, it would probably also be more of a technical challenge than you realize to just up and change the maximum tweet size. app.net is not bound by this limitation and decided from its onset to go with 256 characters.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I don't really understand what you're getting at with #1.

There are tweets someone makes and tweets made at them. If you aren't following the person that mentioned said person you can get a 'yes' from someone you follow without the 'hey do you own a dog' cause don't follow the person who asked the question.

Thus it would be nice to be able to select to have the @ tweets directed toward the person you follow in your time line so you can see them without having to have extra swipes etc

#2 is never going to happen on twitter as it's sort of not the point.

Unless you are the CEO of Twitter you can't really say it would never happen. The point of Twitter is what Twitter wants it to be. There was a time when they never planned to have photo and video sharing or even web links/link shortening but just intended it as quick text messages. But that changed.

As for increasing tweet length, that would kill the ability to tweet via SMS, which is how twitter started and believe it or not is a thing that people still actually do.

Not really since it would be an option and those that still tweet by SMS rather than an app could still be limited to the shorter length

OtherJesus

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
Bay Area, California
I'd like my "return" key back, thank you very much.

So tired of these turds and their updates.

Now I have to write a tweet in notes first if I want to create a break. Thanks morons!

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
I'd like my "return" key back, thank you very much.

So tired of these turds and their updates.

Now I have to write a tweet in notes first if I want to create a break. Thanks morons!

The return key still exists, you just have to click the "123" key at the bottom left to toggle the availability.

jcb10

macrumors regular
May 14, 2008
3. either increase the tweet length... or built support into system for things like twitlonger so if you go over it prompts you to either cut back or use TL. and let us see them without having to go to a webpage etc.

People who want longer Tweets are missing the whole point of Twitter. Brevity is wit.

otismotive77

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
things I'd like to see

wow, great list, would love to see those changes.
by the way, the new app looks awesome without those borders.:eek:

blitzer09x87

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
i have to say the improved tweet composer is good, but the app looks ugly without those vertical borders.
twitter please bring those borders back.

adamneer

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2013
Chicago, IL
how about hashtags not eating into valuable character count? or perhaps the ability to display tweets in a format that doesn't look like DOS command lines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.