PDA

View Full Version : $25,375.00 !!!!!!!!!

eRondeau
Nov 1, 2005, 09:23 AM
Just for fun, I went on the Apple Store website and pretended to buy a maxed-out Dual / Dual PowerMac. 16GB memory, dual drives, the works. Grand total: $25,375.00 !!!! My question is -- has anybody actually bought one of these? Do you know anybody who has? Is this computer worth this much? Is any computer worth this much?

macmanmatty
Nov 1, 2005, 09:26 AM
I was going to, but then I looked into my bank and realized that i was $25,374.99 short:(

wordmunger
Nov 1, 2005, 09:26 AM
I read an article a while back about some division of NASA, I think, that routinely maxed out G5s for all its researchers. Some folks need all the speed they can get.

MacTruck
Nov 1, 2005, 09:29 AM
I read an article a while back about some division of NASA, I think, that routinely maxed out G5s for all its researchers. Some folks need all the speed they can get.

Our tax dollars hard at work... yet the shuttle still explodes. :mad:

emoore3
Nov 1, 2005, 09:48 AM

I don't think a computer dictates if the shuttle works or not. Launching a shuttle is a little more complicated than running simulations on a computer.

MacTruck
Nov 1, 2005, 09:54 AM
I don't think a computer dictates if the shuttle works or not. Launching a shuttle is a little more complicated than running simulations on a computer.

I think you missed the point. :rolleyes:

Mr. Anderson
Nov 1, 2005, 09:55 AM
You could save a ton of money - $1000s if you didn't get RAM and extra drives through Apple. I think its a waste to have Apple do it, even if its just a convenience to have it show up at your door the way you want it and not do it all yourself. If the difference was $100s I'd consider it, but by Apple's standards you're more than doubling the price when you don't have to.

D

FFTT
Nov 1, 2005, 09:58 AM
Try maxing out a rack of Xserves.

Imagine what they'll be like if they go to Quad processor!

wordmunger
Nov 1, 2005, 09:58 AM

Everyone knows the Space Shuttle disaster (the second one, anyway) was caused by Microsoft PowerPoint (http://www.edwardtufte.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0001yB&topic_id=1&topic=Ask+E%2eT%2e). Seriously.

Dagless
Nov 1, 2005, 10:00 AM
Rumour has it our animation department want a maxed out PowerMac G5. Minus the monitor costs though. they have a number of currently unused 30" ACD just stocked away.

Lord Blackadder
Nov 1, 2005, 10:03 AM
You could save a ton of money - $1000s if you didn't get RAM and extra drives through Apple. I think its a waste to have Apple do it, even if its just a convenience to have it show up at your door the way you want it and not do it all yourself. If the difference was $100s I'd consider it, but by Apple's standards you're more than doubling the price when you don't have to.

D

Good point - I would order the hard drives and RAM through New Egg or somewhere similar. It would save thousands of dollars and take, what, 20 minutes to install?

If you want certain drives or brands of RAM you need to go third party anyhow.

MacTruck
Nov 1, 2005, 10:29 AM
Everyone knows the Space Shuttle disaster (the second one, anyway) was caused by Microsoft PowerPoint (http://www.edwardtufte.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0001yB&topic_id=1&topic=Ask+E%2eT%2e). Seriously.

If only Apple had released Keynote earlier, lives would have been saved.

BWhaler
Nov 1, 2005, 10:33 AM
I know a guy who bought a maxed out Quadd G5. It hasn't come yet.

He didn't spend 23 grand though. He spent around 16,000 since he didn't buy the memory via Apple

MacTruck
Nov 1, 2005, 10:36 AM
I know a guy who bought a maxed out Quadd G5. It hasn't come yet.

He didn't spend 23 grand though. He spent around 16,000 since he didn't buy the memory via Apple

I was just about to say this guy is an idiot for spending that much then I did a quick total of how much money I have spent on my system in the last 2 yrs. DOH!

freeny
Nov 1, 2005, 10:59 AM
And that article is real? WTF?

atari1356
Nov 1, 2005, 11:01 AM

I'd blame that more on the people who created those Powerpoint slides, than Powerpoint itself. It's all in the way you present the information... they could have done an equally poor job using Keynote or any other presentation program.

(not that I think Powerpoint is a good program, I despise it)

... and some blame should placed on the people reading the slides and making the actual decisions.

MacTruck
Nov 1, 2005, 11:04 AM
... and some blame should placed on the people reading the slides and making the actual decisions.

We can make that easy and call those people NASA.

MacTruck
Nov 1, 2005, 11:18 AM
I worked for NASA for a few years and I tell you I have never seen that many lazy ass workers in my life. Government job security. What does this mean? People sleeping in their cubicles, smoke breakes every 15 minutes, tons of old non educated employees still there from the glory days that are not fired yet because their kids play with the bosses kids and they have all lived together in the same neighborhood for years. Contracts are given not to the best man for the job but best buddy to the person giving out the contract.

Its a huge mess. I was always amazed that the shuttle ever got off the ground.

Danksi
Nov 1, 2005, 11:21 AM
Just for fun, I went on the Apple Store website and pretended to buy a maxed-out Dual / Dual PowerMac. 16GB memory, dual drives, the works. Grand total: $25,375.00 !!!! My question is -- has anybody actually bought one of these? Do you know anybody who has? Is this computer worth this much? Is any computer worth this much?

... no way, that's almost 1/2 my mortgage. :D

wdlove
Nov 1, 2005, 11:25 AM
For that price I would also expect a 30" Apple LCD. No way would I pay that much. My price range would be under $10,000. :eek:

dcv
Nov 1, 2005, 12:45 PM

WOW!!

I just tried this on the UK Store... maxed out the hardware and added dual 30" ACDs for fun.

Didn't add any software options but DID opt for AppleCare - at only 199* it seemed silly not to :p

Grand total: 16,710.00. The RAM makes up 50% of the price!

At today's exchange rate that works out at $29,456.22 USD :eek:

*now can someone please explain to me why AppleCare costs 279 for my 12 inch PowerBook?!!!

MacTruck
Nov 1, 2005, 01:34 PM
Just add $20K on to that price so you can add 8 30" displays. WOW.

wordmunger
Nov 1, 2005, 01:37 PM
And that article is real? WTF?
Yes, it's by Edward Tufte, who is one of the most respected scholars of information design.

wordmunger
Nov 1, 2005, 01:38 PM
I'd blame that more on the people who created those Powerpoint slides, than Powerpoint itself. It's all in the way you present the information... they could have done an equally poor job using Keynote or any other presentation program.

(not that I think Powerpoint is a good program, I despise it)

The problem is people paid attention to the slides instead of going to the actual presentations and seeing what was said. So the fact that PowerPoint presentations were being circulated in lieu of actual information was the problem.

Lacero
Nov 1, 2005, 02:07 PM
What's funny is that in 3 years, the same computer would be worth $1200.

With the exception of monitors, they tend to hold their value longer.

Zoowatch
Nov 1, 2005, 03:09 PM
it's rediculous that Apple charge that much for RAM

if one day someone foolish enough to place a $25,375.00 order for a maxed-out PM
i wonder if Apple will feel ashamed getting that money because this is like a day-light robbery.

i know 2GB piece of RAM is hard to come by but it should not cost this much anyway.

is there any law in the US or UK which prohibit companies from grossly overcharging their customer on a product which should've cost much less?

if Apple charges 10 pounds higher than what crucial sells... i will happily get RAMs from them.

how about Dell? I know they have some sort of online BTO page for their desktops. Does Dell charge this much for RAMs too?